GordonG
Last year

Breakers v Jackies 12/02

Topic starts here...

Reckon Breakers will win this (unless they don't, in which case the Jackies will). How's that for fence-sitting?

Topic #50910 | Report this topic

Anonymightymouse  
Last year

I agree with you completely.

Reply #911904 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last year

And I also totally agree with it.

Reply #911905 | Report this post

Yup  
Last year

Interesting this game same day as the play in for 4th, the winner of this series will have more rest leading into gf

Reply #911910 | Report this post

Yup  
Last year

Correction - this series has 3 games in 7 days, the kings will play 3 games in 5 days (potentially)

Reply #911911 | Report this post

EssenX  
Last year

The best way to beat the Breakers is to disrupt them early, get a lead and then control the game as the Breakers will inevitably make a big run late. Both WMW and Le'afa are sloppy against press defences, and McNaught the DP was slaughtered in the two minutes to end the first period the sides last met.

The JJs are definitely capable of the first and third, but without Magette I’m unsure if they can put up enough points on the board. Can Magnay be an x-factor?

Reply #911914 | Report this post

Anonymightymouse  
Last year

Some great highlights of the Breakers-Tassie season series from the courtside angle here:

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=901950327471997

Reply #911917 | Report this post

Mystro  
Last year

Should hopefully be a great game, big shame about Magette for Tasmania and the Breakers Barry Brown Jnr playing tonight is subject to passing a pre-game fitness test.
Best of luck to the JJ's.

Reply #911920 | Report this post

Mystro  
Last year

Barry Brown Jnr is playing apparently.

Reply #911956 | Report this post

Crackers65  
Last year

Mitch Hare refereeing an NBL final. Wow.

Reply #911975 | Report this post

Mystro  
Last year

19-12 to the Breakers at the end of the 1st quarter
Rupert looked great early

Reply #911981 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last year

Good quarter all round, JJs just never go away after better start by breakers.

Reply #911982 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Last year

Damn the NBL really has some periods in games where it's a tough watch.

Reply #911985 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last year

Neither of these two sides will get anywhere near the kings.

NZ by two at the half. JJs always in it, breakers got be smarter on defence, to many fouls.

Reply #911987 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last year

JJs can win at home but NZ got a GF spot. Kings would be happy with that match up.

Reply #912003 | Report this post

orbit  
Last year

Cairns need to knock off Sydney or this is over!!

Reply #912016 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last year

Yep, taipans are chance or as you say it's over. Sydney in the box seat.

Reply #912018 | Report this post

koberulz  
Last year

NBL would be utterly panicking over the idea of Cairns facing either Tassie or NZ in the grand final.

Reply #912019 | Report this post

GordonG  
Last year

NBL would be utterly panicking over the idea of Cairns facing either Tassie or NZ in the grand final.

We've done it a couple of times before...

Reply #912027 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last year

I'd be happy with taipans v breakers GF.

Sydney got this though.

Reply #912029 | Report this post

Anonymightymouse  
Last year

NZ beat Sydney without Barry Brown, they'd certainly give themselves a chance. Much would come down to the officiating in that series though. If it's called tight the Breakers would struggle, if it's basketbrawl it would be line-ball.

Reply #912031 | Report this post

KET  
Last year

I'd like to see Cairns win it all because it would enhance my hope that NBL is a league where any team can win it rather than just the big cashed up clubs.

But Sydney would be far better for the economics of the league.

Reply #912033 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Last year

For pure economics, a GF series involving Sydney that goes the full distance is of course preferable.

But history shows that the Kings might not even turn up to all the games, and a repeat of that would be a disaster, so the safer bet is for the Taipans to make it from that side of the bracket.

Reply #912034 | Report this post

Kolzee  
Last year

Breakers physicality tends to bring teams down to their level so not sure a kings series would be as straight forward as suggested

Reply #912043 | Report this post

Mystro  
Last year

Sydney finished the season 19/9 to New Zealand and Cairns records of 18/10 so I'm not sure the "Sydney and then daylight" predictions still hold any merit.

The Kings still have to get by a plucky Taipans side who whilst decimated by injury they have proved throughout the season they deserve to be playing finals and have the talent to compete against anyone.

Reply #912045 | Report this post

LV  
Last year

Agree, officiating will play a big role if it's Sydney vs NZ

Likely scenario is refs call the Tiggy Touchwood stuff in Sydney and it'll be very hard for the Breakers to win those.

Could see Breakers being very competitive though with a 4 or 5 game series, making a welcome change from the past few years.

Reply #912046 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last year

If Mayberry refs Sydney, it's over, over calls everything. It’ll be kings back to back.

Reply #912049 | Report this post

Anonymightymouse  
Last year

Kings v the top six:

NZ 2-1
Cairns 1-2
Tassie 2-1
Perth 1-2
SEM 2-1

They're certainly not daylight over the season, but I would agree their absolute best is a step above the rest. Their ability to execute at such a high pace is hard to match.

If they can play close to their highest level for long stretches I think the title is theirs, but we've seen this year they've struggled to break shackles at times, they don't have quite the same ridiculous talent as last season.

Reply #912050 | Report this post

EssenX  
Last year

Like I said, the problem for the JJs is putting enough points on the board. They really need Doyle to be more aggressive and get going if they want to win game two. Breakers won this pretty easily despite Brantley having a poor game from 3 and Brown on limited minutes.

The Breakers were playing at a much higher pace than they usually do and I suspect this is them preparing for the Kings.

Shout out to Tom Abercrombie who is turning back the clock each game. Led the Breakers with +22 and alongside Brown, Le'afa and Rupert gives the Breakers some serious defensive capability on the perimeter.

Reply #912054 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last year

Agree Anonymightymouse. It would take a couple slip ups or injuries for them to lose.

Reply #912056 | Report this post

koberulz  
Last year

The Breakers were playing at a much higher pace than they usually do and I suspect this is them preparing for the Kings.
Tassie excels at slow-paced play. Should the Breakers meet Sydney they'll absolutely want to slow it down.

Reply #912062 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:04 pm, Sun 28 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754