Pat Bev
Last year

How Far Off Is The NBL Draft?

We have a great crop of local talent in the u18/20 program, with some content to live and play in Au. How far off is an NBL draft to help the lower ranked teams?

Topic #50926 | Report this topic

koberulz  
Last year

Minimum salary needs to go way up first.

Reply #912576 | Report this post

Master Chief  
Last year

I don't think this is realistic yet.

NBl clubs don't really develop talent for long term in the same way NBA or AFL do with use of the draft.

If there is a game changing player available under the age of 21 (or whatever it would be), chances are that player will be in college anyway.

Besides players like that, I don't think locals in the Australian system would be at a level that makes a draft worthwhile or necessary.

Struggling teams would then have to retain the talent against other clubs and the lures of higher paying leagues or the the NBA.

I wouldn't be against some kind of draft system, but i just feel like that in the NBL, the likely outcome of a draft would defeat the purpose of what it aims to achieve in other sports.

I would be more in favour of struggling teams having first access to next stars or something like that.

But ultimately the chances of drafting a player who will be a difference maker and give clubs long term optimism isn't likely to be relevant to the NBL yet.

Reply #912579 | Report this post

Gazee  
Last year

Could do like a couple other sporting leagues and have a import draft that may work , different tiers like
Bbl did for wage brackets etc , but can't see local player draft happening ever in nbl just not big enough of financially viable

Reply #912600 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Last year

This topic comes up every now and then and still remains unviable financially. The NBL doesn't pay enough for an 18 yo kid to be made to leave his family and move to another state unlike the AFL.

Reply #912603 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Last year

10 teams.
max you could draft per year in this region if you make it the whole of asia pacific would be just 1 player per team. Players would also have to get min 150k+ for top 3, 100k+ 4-6, 75k+ 8-10 and also relinquish amateur status so not ncaa or other asia league eligible for min 1 year. Gets complicated...

Eg this year (if none went to college)

04/05 - 2023 draft might be

#1 Proctor
#2 Toohey
#3 Hawke

Other Players like
Aus guys like Savage, O'Donnell, Dent, Briggs, Henshall, Condon, Ibukonluwa, bradtke, Yaak, Magbegor etc etc
Asia/nz guys like russo-nance, book, kawashima, harris, Singh etc

Reply #912612 | Report this post

Master Chief  
Last year

Weedy Slug, yes, but the point of a draft is to help struggling teams rebuild. If you were to recruit someone like Proctor, who stays for one season before the NBA, it really isn't any different to the next stars system anyway, and would do the opposite of what a draft is intended to do.

I understand your post was likely a loose example only, but even in the case of players who are likely to only achieve NBL level, it still doesn't strike me as necessary to have a draft in order to make sure those players find their way to struggling teams first.

Reply #912618 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Last year

No it's not necessary but it works out better for the teams and the nbl.
Higher picks will go to struggling teams and the more kids that go through nbl straight to nba brings more eyes. diverting to college and getting drafted that way gives the nbl nothing. Why do you think they went after Daniels and proctor so heavily...
It id changing, kids these days would prefer to go pro asap. Siulepa wants nbl over ncaa. It’s the same for many others 05/06/07.

Reply #912620 | Report this post

Master Chief  
Last year

All good points, but then we need to decide what a draft actually is in terms of purpose.

For me, a draft isa system (usually at the highest level of the sport) where the players drafted are intended for that league only.

So if it's partly for reasons you describe, I don't see much of a difference than the next stars program anyway.

Reply #912624 | Report this post

koberulz  
Last year

Having a draft won't increase the number of players who play NBL rather than college. Slavery is illegal.

Reply #912625 | Report this post

UseTaHoop  
Last year

I would rather see emerging locals allocated to their nearest team. Call them DPs from the team's zone. Have this attached to further tertiary or vocational training. If they’re going to find their ceiling at NBL level, they need a post NBL career.

The pay wouldn’t be enough for them to move without accommodation support, which is a Next Stars or valued import approach.

No to a draft of Australian NBL level prospects. Yes to helping them and supporting them with their future. Like regional football clubs. Sign on for lower level pay, but with a future through training and education.

Reply #912648 | Report this post

Cram  
Last year

"For me, a draft isa system (usually at the highest level of the sport) where the players drafted are intended for that league only."

This. AFL and NBA are the undeniable top leagues in their given sports so players will go where ever they're told to play at the top level. With NBL they can go college, overseas (or just get a regular job).

Even leagues like EPL can't do this as there's far too much competition for players from similar leagues.

Does the NRL have a draft? I imagine the threat of losing players OS or code switching would mean it wouldn't be viable?

Reply #912651 | Report this post

Hooper  
Last year

"KobeRulez" "Minimum salary needs to go way up first."

Are you aware that the minimum salary this coming season will be around 70k? for around 7 months of the year.

So go way up?

A draft will never work in the NBL

Reply #912652 | Report this post

Pablo Escobar  
Last year

Might keep some agents honest though. Eradicate the kickbacks and dodgy backdoor deals that go on.

Reply #912665 | Report this post

Hooper  
Last year

Pablo, do tell!

"Might keep some agents honest though. Eradicate the kickbacks and dodgy backdoor deals that go on."

What are these kick backs you're talking about? How would a draft “fix” something?

You’ve made an accusation, so now you should back up these allegations

Reply #912670 | Report this post

Pablo Escobar  
Last year

Ooooohhh, maybe like a certain GM who only took players from one particular agent for example. Cosy relationship that one.
A draft of whatever design would at least eliminate that.

Reply #912697 | Report this post

Hooper  
Last year

So you're insinuating that one team only had players from one agent? The whole team?
C’mon now. Name names

Reply #912713 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Last year

JvG and Moldovan.

Reply #912726 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:41 am, Sun 28 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754