Pasadena 72
Last year

NBL Central 2023 Power Rankings

With the season only a month away it's time to start some too-early power rankings.

1. South. Have to start here until proven otherwise. Sounds like Smith is likely to return and keep all of their core from last year plus have added Lloyd McVeigh who could be a nice surprise packet in this league and displace one of their starters. The best import/restricted duo in the league and an experienced coaching staff. Back to back looking good.

2. Forestville. Have announced some big re-signings as well as Brad Rathjen who fills an important need at guard for them this year. With Rios back as well they look better balanced than last year and still arguably the most talent in the league. Can Andy get it together for another title?

3. Woodville. Have lost Humphries but have some exciting ins with Ficken returning to the league and from what I can gather an NZ import too (couldn’t find much on him). Continuity counts for a lot though and Whitmore’s game planning will see them at the pointy end again.

4. West Adelaide. Could go either way. Mccarron and Drmic are in which obviously helps boost them from last year along with Joel Spear, but they’re starting a long way back after a disappointing season. Seems a very guard heavy team and new coach, could take a while to gel, if it ever does. I can’t have them above the top 3 at this point but it will be exciting to see if they can work it out.

5. North Adelaide. Announced an import recently and his film looks like he could tear up the league. With some early announcements of a pair of interstate recruits plus Mccalop lining up in reserves (I assume there will be an announcement soon) the Rockets have a high ceiling under Rojo. Parfitt seems to have taken a big step forward judging by reserves numbers.

6. Sturt. Haven’t heard much out of their camp besides rumours of Tom Daly returning. Not sure on Rigoni coming back after playing in Europe but have picked up young gun Jamie Smith. Hard to put them higher without knowing much about their team but rarely do they fall too low.

7. Norwood. Could be a changing of the guard. Big import announced looks the goods and will be genuinely big in this league plus McBride will be better in his second year. Haven’t seen Harding on reserves lists yet and if he doesn’t play that will be a big out for the Flames. O’Dell will be better for having a year under his belt and they will challenge the teams above for finals.

8. Centrals. Made a big signing this week with Ngor Nai who looks every bit as accomplished as an import. Brings back Jenkins and have announced a second import as well. Could make me look silly for putting them this low but it’s a tough league this year and they have some unproven players for Sapwell to develop.

9. Southern. Look to have picked up some handy young players judging by reserves in Logan and King. Could move up this list depending on imports and other signings but quiet at this point.

10. Legan back and young NSW kid Jasper Rentoy comes in. Haven’t seen another import announced. Wray has his work cut out and they’ll stay here until proven different.

Topic #50940 | Report this topic

Fun coolers  
Last year

few rumours for you Pasadena

South, smith not likely, word is DJ heavily recruited
Sturt, Daly changed his mind back in Mt Gambier, Rigoni already back
Tigers, secure Green from Norwood and NBL player from Cairns
Norwood, Harding playing Footy for south Adelaide not hoops
North, Mcaloop waiting on Citizenship

Reply #912823 | Report this post

Pasadena 72  
Last year

Wow ok with DJ South would easily be favourites I would think.

Shane about Daly I was looking forward to him back in our league. Will he play at the pioneers?

Tigers could move well up the rankings then. Sound like some good gets.

Mccalop won't be a citizen before the season if he isn’t already, will he?

Thanks for the info.

Reply #912827 | Report this post

+  
Last year

IMO - men or women - will need 3 good imports or 2 plus NBL / WNBL level) that can bring a team together to win either title. benchmark for games teh highest I've seen it for a while. There will be some great local games to go to this year - love it !

Reply #912828 | Report this post

Wayville 74  
Last year

Mavs men won't even be close to competitive. Spent nothing, have nothing but Legan who won't carry this bunch

Reply #912829 | Report this post

Esky68  
Last year

Saw Centrals reserves a couple weeks ago and they look very small, are they gonna have enough inside presence to stop the stronger teams? A much bigger forestville lineup made easy work of them on the inside that night

Reply #912834 | Report this post

Pasadena 72  
Last year

The guy Centrals announced was anything but small. I think their lineup will be among the biggest in the league.

Reply #912836 | Report this post

In Da House  
Last year

Not sure I entirely agree with the order of power rankings, but it's a good predication.

South will definitely be strong provided they re-sign Jeremy Smith, Alexander Starling & Sam Johns. I wouldn’t say Lloyd McVeigh is a big signing - his performance for Nth Gold Coast wasn’t that impressive. Unless his brother Jack McVeigh joins him, then that’s a different story! Also, don’t discount Tom Kubank joining his Dad (assistant coach) this season after finishing up his season with Aris Leeuwarden.

Forestville definitely better balanced with Doyle being properly supported now with added guards such as Rios and Rathjen. Let’s see if Andy Simons can deliver something special this season. There will be no Jack Purchase this season and DJ unlikely as well.

Woodville will be consistent again as they have kept most of their core team, however will Nick Wurm resign or will he go abroad. Their game plan will be under scrutiny this season as the other teams will be well versed from last year’s tactics, however depth off the bench will be key!

West Bearcats is definitely an interesting one. After a disappointing 36ers campaign I’m expecting McCarron and partner in crime Drmic to cause all sorts of problems for teams. Let’s not forget they’ll have very strong talent around them with DeSantis and Spear. Nik DeSantis is by far the most talented young player and scorer in the league, often going under the radar. And Joel Spear brings a lot of composure to the team. The front court offence will be an absolute handful, but I’m curious to know what their defence presence will be like? Don’t forget that Dean Nyberg still has a power forward or centre to add to the whole equation. We will have to watch if McCarron’s Boomer duties disrupts the club’s season so watch that space. Still think they will be top 2 finish.

I’m not going to comment on the rest as they won’t be in the Top 4 rankings.

** The next few weeks will be interesting as the player signings will un-earth in more details.

Reply #912864 | Report this post

Grote 12  
Last year

DJ in for south, does that means he only plays half the season like always?

IF so no Smith and DJ in, can this team with enough of the other 50% games DJ doesn't play to make finals?

I doubt Mccalop will be a citizen anytime soon...
Compare to Bryce Cotton, been in the country since 17 (6 years, married with kid), not a citizen, Mccalop has been here 4 years? I think got married 2 years ago...
and as a pro athlete cotton can be accelerated as a citizen.

The math there says Mccalop is unlikely to be a citizen anytime soon.

Reply #912992 | Report this post

Pasadena 72  
Last year

DJ confirmed with South that cements them at the top of the rankings for me. The best team just got better. Good luck everyone else playing catch up.

Anyone else making a splash? Looks like West shot their shot too early and could be caught short making up numbers come finals.

Reply #913098 | Report this post

Hanging Round  
Last year

Pasadena 72
Sounds like some Premature Diarrohea (?") from you.DJ probably hasn't even been to a training session yet and you want the cup.
Perhaps West learnt from when he was last with them and have moved on???
Maybe they could shoot too early, but could he defend the shots?
Should be an interesting season

Reply #913117 | Report this post

Hanging Round  
Last year

Pasadena 72
Sounds like some Premature Diarrohea (?") from you.DJ probably hasn't even been to a training session yet and you want the cup.
Perhaps West learnt from when he was last with them and have moved on???
Maybe they could shoot too early, but could he defend the shots?
Should be an interesting season

Reply #913118 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Last year

How many different teams will that be for DJ now, four?

Reply #913119 | Report this post

Grote 12  
Last year

I don't think DJ is that big of a get.

How many seasons in this league has he played vs how many times has he actually been on the championship team?

And he isn't "prime" DJ anymore he is an "I struggle to change directions sometimes" DJ.

According to Wikipedia
DJ
2011 - south - Eagles champs
2013 - West - Eagles champs
2014 - West - Woodville champs
2016 - Sturt - Southern Champs
2018 - Eagles - Southern Champs
2022 - Eagles - South Champs

I can't remember if he played all those gap years... but if he did he also didn't win the chip those seasons either.
And with South losing their best player and replacing him with DJ... unsure if he actually makes them better or makes them worse because he is slower, cares less, and only plays half the time anyway.

Reply #913122 | Report this post

Frisbee14  
Last year

So any more news? Is Starling back, usually plays a bit of reserves in summer but after some injuries in past seasons, might be giving body a break.
Anyone left to go play footy as well?

Reply #913327 | Report this post

Pasadena 72  
Last year

Nothing out if the ordinary in reserves this week.

any idea on any trial game results? I know Norwood and Woodville went to Millicent but not sure if they played each other.

Reply #913370 | Report this post

SabreTooth  
Last year

Where can one find the reserves scores? With Game Day we used to be able to find all district scores online, now there's nothing

Reply #913383 | Report this post

Sub Me In  
Last year

Basketball Connect is the new Game Day from what i can make out.
Search your club and then choose the team to follow.

Reply #913393 | Report this post

SabreTooth  
Last year

I know that Connect is the replacement however I want to be able to look up scores for various games without having to follow all of them. Gameday results were published online or I could click through on the app without having to follow teams.

If I follow all the teams that I want to check scores for I'll the feed will become useless

Reply #913527 | Report this post

Nightwing  
Last year

https://registration-basketball.squadi.com/competitions?competitionUniqueKey=767f58c1-4b70-4ac4-870f-466b9692bb86&yearId=5

using that link you should be able to see every comp without following any teams.

Reply #913528 | Report this post

SabreTooth  
Last year

Thanks!

Reply #913555 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:42 am, Sun 28 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754