Isaac
Last year

Damian Lillard vs Houston Rockets

Lillard just scored 71 points on the lowly Rockets, making it ~ a top ten scoring game in NBA history.

71 points, 6 rebounds, 6 assists in 39 minutes. 22/38 FG, 13/22 3P, 14/14 FT.

The list of top games:

100 - Wilt
81 - Kobe
78 - Wilt
73 - Wilt
73 - Wilt
73 - David Thompson
72 - Wilt

Tied in 8th:
71 - Baylor
71 - David Robinson
71 - Donovan Mitchell
71 - Damian Lillard

Topic #50947 | Report this topic

koberulz  
Last year

Wilt's record is going to fall soon.

Reply #912900 | Report this post

Ballman  
Last year

Only in the NBA you can get that kind of score, come to a top tier global league and it wouldn't be possible. i.e. they play defence.

The NBA game today resembles fast break drills and shootarounds with virtually no defence being played, nothing like it use to be in the 90s.

Reply #912901 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last year

@ Ballman, agree very few games nowadays get to a good standard.

Reply #912902 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Last year

NBA is in a dire state these days.

Reply #912904 | Report this post

Big Fudge  
Last year

So many good shooters in the game mixed with lazy defence makes it a boring game to watch until the playoffs begin.

Reply #912906 | Report this post

retired  
Last year

I don't think it will fall and if it did it would be because the NBA do not play defence where as in his day they did.

Reply #912907 | Report this post

Isaac  
Last year

It's not like they aren't trying to stop him. He's putting up pressured shots, and the defender in the highlight I embedded is prepared for him to shoot it when he reaches the logo, gets a hand in his face while avoiding the foul, etc.

In the bits of games I see, they seem to have the balance OK.

Reply #912909 | Report this post

BigD  
Last year

Go watch any old game from the so called glory days of the 90s, and look at the spacing (or lack of). Look at the atrocious shot selection and how inefficient they are with their constant mid range 2s and post shots.

It's not that defence isn’t being played, it’s just that it’s virtually impossible to stop scoring.
Offenses have just nailed their spacing and decision making depending on what the D does.
Even junior basketball at the top level has scoring increasing rapidly, are we claiming that’s because of a lack of D too?

For example, instead of throwing the ball into the post for a 40% shot teams are now just throwing to the weak side wing off the same read and getting a 60% shot on a drive from a long close out.

The same people that say no defence is played are usually the same people that talk up European basketball as being real basketball, but without realising that offensive efficiency is a lot higher in Euroleague than the NBA, a LOT higher.

Reply #912912 | Report this post

KET  
Last year

You see all the time players just stand and not bother to defend at all.

It's actually a big analytical aspect of the NBA now that it’s not worth wasting your resources on defence during an 82 game regular season.

Reply #912913 | Report this post

hoopie  
Last year

How many of those amazing scoring feats were manufactured?

I remember that for the top 2 scores, their teammates would give up their own shots to help the star get a higher total.

Reply #912916 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Last year

I remember back in the day fast forwarding through Sportscenter in order to stop where there was a NBA highlight and disregarding everything else.

Nowadays the NBA parts are what I skip.

Reply #912934 | Report this post

AngusH  
Last year

70 is the new 50

Reply #912935 | Report this post

Cram  
Last year

Shhh BigD, don't ya know to prove you're a "real" basketball fan you've gotta complain about NBA every chance you get?

Reply #912950 | Report this post

Gus3232  
Last year

No doubt there is a real lack of intensity at the defensive end for every NBA team but you also have to factor in that the game is now overwhelmingly in favour of the offensive player. You are now allowed to carry and travel to your hearts content, and if a defender so much as breathes on you when attempting a jump shot, off you go to the FT line.

Reply #912959 | Report this post

KET  
Last year

NBA is absolutely in favour of the offensive player.

If you're going to get a defensive stop, it’s harder than ever and you’d have to be as athletic and freakish as ever to do it.

These Allstar game scores are getting out of hand. No game, even in double OT, should have two teams scoring roughly 175. It’s absurd.

Reply #912971 | Report this post

Bullets  
Last year

What a joke.
Yet more evidence the NBA is dying under Silver's watch

Reply #913010 | Report this post

Zachgetsbuckets  
Last year

There is a massive problem with favouring the offence in todays NBA, I'm calling the 100 point record is gonna be beaten within the next 5 years.

Reply #913186 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:46 pm, Mon 29 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754