Statman
Last year

Cooks to the NBA

After a lot of discussion Xavier Cooks has finally got his shot at the NBA signing with Washington for rest of this season and next - Wizards will buy out his deal with the Kings and he will report as soon as the finals series with the Breakers is complete

https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/1632470979698991105?s=46&t=-Teg_h4qSwTjxMx5waI1kw

Topic #50964 | Report this topic

KET  
Last year

Not surprising but good on him!

Reply #913265 | Report this post

Melbourne Boy  
Last year

I hope he finds a good fit, he's one of those guys like what Torey Craig as who's right on the fringes. If his teams circumstances allow him to to shine in a role early, he'll set himself up for some nice $$$ for a few years, then maybe finish up back here late career. If a few things don't go his way early he could be back in the NBL quick.

Good luck to him, i hope somehow a shooting guru over there finds him a 3 ball, then that really changes things.

Reply #913266 | Report this post

Mystro  
Last year

Well deserved opportunity and further cements the NBL as a viable destination to make the NBA

Reply #913267 | Report this post

LV  
Last year

Good on him but since when does someone who's never played NBA get signed without a proper on court try-out?

Reply #913268 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Last year

Any word on Cooks' salary? Also Kings will receive a buyout.

More importantly however two out of two avatars in this thread are of classic cars. Are those your rides @Statman and @Mystro ?

Reply #913269 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last year

Good luck to him, be interesting to see how goes. I was certainly doubtful of his chances getting to the nba, will be interesting road ahead.

Reply #913270 | Report this post

AngusH  
Last year

I was confident he'd get an opportunity, but a multiyear deal is a real positive sign and probably what he was holding out for. No idea how he'll go, but he's earnt a shot at it.

His 3pt shot is obviously the biggest question mark but I think the spacing will do wonders for him too. If like Craig he leans into the things he excels at he could carve out a nice role for himself with less pressure to get the other parts of his game going.

Reply #913271 | Report this post

Mystro  
Last year

Perthworld.

That was a 1979 Cadillac Coupe Deville lowrider I owned for about 18 years.
Sold it to one of my friends in our club a few years back.

Reply #913272 | Report this post

Ballman  
Last year

Pinders value just went up, Sydney would be looking at him closely.

Reply #913273 | Report this post

AngusH  
Last year

"Pinders value just went up, Sydney would be looking at him closely."

100%. Marquee money has just opened up and all top-level FAs are probably going to end up benefiting.

Reply #913274 | Report this post

Q Anon  
Last year

Interesting issue for Kings and Cooks

He was already parked in Game 2 because of injury. Does he play again this series?

Reply #913275 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last year

If Pinder joins kings, Hunter should ask for a release, he's to good a player to be a minimum minutes player. Noi has probably done enough to get the four spot, though if Glover leaves could be more suited to the three.

Reply #913276 | Report this post

AngusH  
Last year

I half suspect Cooks has been either carrying something for the last 4-6 weeks and has not been 100%, or the distraction around the NBA stuff has taken him out of his game. Or teams have just adjusted to him defensively, but his overall impact has dipped significantly since the NBA scout chatter kicked off.

Re: Hunter I think he's done enough to show he's a starter - I hope it's in Sydney. Buford has him on a real short leash for some reason which has been hard to understand at times - he definitely has lapses in the halfcourt defensively, but he has a large enough impact otherwise that I think it's overall a win. He does seem to react well to being yanked and called out though, and it makes me think it's a conscious thing that Buford feels he has to do to get him locked in.

Reply #913277 | Report this post

Anonymightymouse  
Last year

Cooks has been carrying his ankle issue for a while, but it's pretty common for players to be carrying niggles this time of year.

Reply #913278 | Report this post

JoelMVP  
Last year

Can't make free throws so not sure how good he can be at the next level. But good luck to him! Athletic gazelles are a dime a dozen in the NBA, no point drawing fouls if you can’t make 'em. Aka diamond Simpson.

Reply #913279 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Last year

I must admit I thought it would've happened last season if he was going to make the NBA but great news for him and the NBL. I assume the second year isn't guaranteed so he will probably need to impress both this season and in training camp to stick next season.

Unfortunately for the Kings it kind of destroys their roster and they'll be hard pressed to find an adequate replacement especially as he was a local. Nick Kay perhaps?

Reply #913280 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Last year

Can't make free throws so not sure how good he can be at the next level.

Getting into the NBA from outside the US college system is the hard part and that lack of shooting ability is what I thought would keep him out of the NBA. It's not that he couldn't play in the NBA he can and may even thrive if an inferior talent like Jae'Sean Tate can but he'll need to carve out a role for himself defensively, which he certainly has the skills to do.

Reply #913281 | Report this post

LV  
Last year

My prediction is Cooks becomes like Mitch Creek or Jack White- either playing G League or sitting at the end of bench. I'd be surprised if he can emulate Torrey Craig or Jock Landale and find his way into a rotation. His defense, while elite in the NBL, won't be too far above average on either the perimeter or the inside by NBA standards, not enough to overcome the significant offensive limitations

Reply #913282 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last year

Inferior talent like jaesean Tate, the two are not comparable, Tate played two guard in nba, shoots free throws and the three.

Reply #913283 | Report this post

hoopie  
Last year

I wonder how much Chase's dad was involved in making this happen ...

Reply #913284 | Report this post

AngusH  
Last year

Not sure why the Spurs' CEO would want to recruit a player for Washington, especially at the expense of his son's team.

Reply #913285 | Report this post

KET  
Last year

Actually I would have thought the basketball world is collegiate in nature in that sense.

I just don't know what RC would have to do with it. Not sure he’d go out of his way to connect kings players with the NBA, but hey, it wouldn’t be ridiculous either.

I think it’d be more a case of Washington had scouts and if they had some questions for chase no doubt he’d give answers, regardless of it meaning losing a star player for the Kings.

Reply #913286 | Report this post

AngusH  
Last year

It was mentioned last Off Season that Cooks had had NBA offers but they were non-guaranteed or of the Summer League try-out variety and that he wasn't interested in anything less than a guaranteed deal. I don't think Buford Snr had much to do with it, he was on NBA team's radars following the Finals MVP last year, and capped it off with an MVP season this year.

Reply #913287 | Report this post

Statman  
Last year

@ Perthworld, Yep was my daily last century - its a 1975 Goss Falcon - similar story to Mystro - Owned it for about 20 years and sold it off to a collector who did a full resto on it. Prob not my smartests financial move ever but still did OK

Reply #913288 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last year

75 Goss falcon, sacrilege selling that beast.

Reply #913289 | Report this post

Bullets  
Last year

LV - "His defense, while elite in the NBL, won't be too far above average on either the perimeter or the inside by NBA standards"
I disagree. Cooks will be above average defensively. For one, he's focused on actually stopping his matchup unlike 90% of the NBA are these days. His ability to switch during on balls and onto guards puts him ahead of most interior players immediately. The only area he won’t be as dominant defensively will be his rim protection. NBA players athleticism greatly reduce the advantages he holds in the NBL
I think his biggest weakness is going to be offensively. Most of his interior scoring here is thanks to superior athleticism but he’ll struggle to get his shots of against length. On top of that, he doesn’t shoot the ball from the perimeter well. Defences won’t fully close out not giving him the space to drive into like he does here.
If he wants to be successful and take the next step, he needs to get a more consistent from the perimeter

Reply #913290 | Report this post

After all, his 3-point shot and free throws will need to improve a lot if he's going to survive in the NBA. Spacing is the most important part of the NBA.

Reply #913291 | Report this post

Saint23  
Last year

talking small pf what's the future of Keli leaupepe nbl starter or nbl1

Reply #913292 | Report this post

Basket 91  
Last year

Cooks wanted a guaranteed deal as wasn't giving up his guaranteed Sydney money for a 10 day contract or a non guaranteed deal.

It’s like how Creek makes more now than he did when he went over 2018/19.

Reply #913293 | Report this post

Sebastian  
Last year

I thought Tate would be 1 and done and Cooks is below Tate on overall numbers. Cooks is going to need to elevate his entire game across the board or it will be a flash

Reply #913294 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Last year

Tate was below Cooks' numbers in the NBL playing the same position for the same club. Tate was an undersized PF who also couldn't shoot and averaged 16 and 6 he wasn't on Cooks' level. Nice player but no MVP type. Now obviously he's improved in the NBA but Cooks starts with more strings to his bow and if the work ethic is there should be able to carve out a nice defensive role for himself.

Reply #913296 | Report this post

Anonymightymouse  
Last year

They're both very good multi-dimensional players who do a lot of things at both ends. Tate was certainly underrated in his time in Aus, played as part of the team system in a very good team, but his best basketball was special that year IMO.

Reply #913297 | Report this post

NBL Fan  
Last year

Zodiac learn the game please, go back & watch the games

JT shot a better percentage FG, 3FG & FT than this year Xavier Cooks. Rebounds is only a 1.8 difference & you have to put in that JT played with X & Bogues who took most the rebounds from him

Sydney Kings team had more fire power around in JT's only year. X this season played with the ball a lot more this season & had more chances to score & shot than Tate. Don’t diminish JT’s performance like he wasn’t an elite player during his time just was surrounded by a more talented/offensive team. Remember JT left after 1 season, Cooks had to do 3 more seasons to get his NBA deal.

Nonetheless, Cooks will do just fine in the NBA .. they get him a consistent corner 3 ball & he be a pivotal 3/D player

Reply #913298 | Report this post

proud  
Last year

I like that X seems comfortable with the ball in his hands and is a quality passer and I don't think he will completely be overwhelmed by the bright lights of the NBA.

I’m not exactly sure how he improves the Wizards but they have been a mediocre team for a long time and X is a winner and seems great in the locker room so maybe that is what he offers.

Well done Xavier, we will all be wishing you well

Reply #913299 | Report this post

chillbaby  
Last year

Hope he goes well although a bit surprised - think he would make an exceptional Euro player. With regards to the scouting aside from sending "official" scouts from US most NBA teams also have local scouts - usually high level ex-coach or player. Off the top of my head - without giving names - I know of 2 local WW scouts in Australia - one West Coast and one East Coast - who have been scouting X for some time.

Reply #913300 | Report this post

LV  
Last year

Difference between Tate and Cooks- Tate shot 28 threes at 39% in Sydney. Cooks has 9 @ 30% after 13 at 32% last year

Cooks shooting needs to improve significantly otherwise its a big liability.

In nbl he scores by running at the rim and Euro stepping around less athletic players. He Attacks the rim and draws soft, barely-there fouls because he's more nimble than his opponent. But Teams leave him wide open from outside- that won't fly with an NBA coach unless he's doing enough in other areas to make up for the deficiency

Other than the odd put back, or the odd cut to the hoop, how will he score in the NBA? His one on one moves will not be very effective. His jump shot isn't near the right level.

Plus Tate was 24, Cooks is 27. More upside and clearly Tate has improved since then.

There a place for role players like Cooks- he will hustle, play team bball, rebound, bring consistent effort. But you need absolutely elite D and other areas if you're a poor shooter. Not sure he's quite good enough across the board

There's a regular rotation spot for Cooks if he can significantly improve his shooting but that's a big if. A big if.

Good luck to him- he knows what he needs to do. Let's hope we have another Aussie succeeding on the biggest stage

Reply #913301 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last year

Jack White is more of a Cooks type mould, you can see how much game time he's getting.

Reply #913303 | Report this post

orbit  
Last year

I like the Torey Craig comparison Melb boy as once he found the right role has since had a great career. Fearne once said he's the dummest import he's ever had.

Another one is Igles. Doc didn't give him a go but look what Snyder did with him.

Hope X finds the right coaches & role within his skill set.

Reply #913306 | Report this post

Anonymightymouse  
Last year

"Other than the odd put back, or the odd cut to the hoop, how will he score in the NBA?"

Cooks is exceptional at moving off the ball and finding good receiver spots, then makes great decisions with the ball whether to finish or pass. He is an opportunist, not a guy to give the ball to. In a good system around good players he will find ways to score and create for others.

NZ are basically not defending the other side of the screen when Cooks sets it, Brantley is staying in contact the entire time he's inside the arc because they know given space around ball-screens etc he finds the right spot to receive and finishes at a very high % around the rim.

Reply #913308 | Report this post

hoopie  
Last year

I really hope he does well in the NBA, even though he has limitations at that level that others have pointed out.

Maybe I'm being a bit cynical but I see guys like White and Cooks as ideal training fodder who have the potential to become part of the regular rotation. The type of player who will bust his butt at training in a number of different roles, who’ll be an unselfish team player, and who will generally be happy with whatever he can get.

(As opposed to their teammates who will generally have come up through the NCAA system or Europe where they’ve been top dogs and will expect to be treated like that after a 'short time adjusting’.)

In other words, low cost, low maintenance, medium reward, and so worth the gamble.

Reply #913309 | Report this post

AngusH  
Last year

I'm not worried about his individual scoring in the NBA - the spacing and pace will actually help *him*, although if he plays enough that teams bother to scout him then it will be how much he impacts spacing if he can't hit the 3 that will limit his minutes if anything.

Reply #913311 | Report this post

LV  
Last year

Spacing, exactly. As I said above, teams already leave him wide open in the NBL but that won't fly with an NBA coach.

Reply #913323 | Report this post

Sebastian  
Last year

And let's be honest there are plenty of guys in the NBA with guaranteed contracts who don’t or hardly hit the court. Patty for example

Reply #913324 | Report this post

Anonymightymouse  
Last year

It's hard to leave someone wide open if they're an active screener. It takes a good coach, but non-shooters who are smart and can screen well and pass can be made very dangerous in well-designed sets.

Reply #913331 | Report this post

DR  
Last year

Did cooks play state basketball ? And when

Reply #913627 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Last year

Wikipedia.

Reply #913635 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last year

6 million for four years. Nice litter earner though tax and accommodation got come out that.

Reply #914396 | Report this post

Sebastian  
Last year

Only first 2 years guaranteed

Reply #914398 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:00 pm, Sun 28 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754