GordonG
Last year

Game 4 - Breakers v Kings

Can the Breakers hold on to make it a full five-game series? We can hope...

Topic #50979 | Report this topic

Luuuc  
Last year

5 is always nicer for the series, and if the Kings go back to back it'd be cool for them to do it in front of another massive home crowd, so carn the Breakers!

Reply #913698 | Report this post

Ben  
Last year

Heart says NZ, because I think Sydney carry on like a flock of entitled twats.

Head says Sydney though, I think NZ are cooked.

Reply #913700 | Report this post

GordonG  
Last year

^^Agree. If the Kings want it, make 'em work for it :)

(Same applies to the Breakers, of course)

Reply #913701 | Report this post

AngusH  
Last year

My head says NZ today, but my wallet hopes it's Sydney... As cool as a game 5 win at home would be.

Reply #913702 | Report this post

Interpreter  
Last year

Ben, speaking of carrying on like a flock of entitled twats:

"The New Zealand Breakers have publicly complained about the foul count across the NBL Championship Series."

https://nbl.com.au/news/breakers-frustration-at-foul-count?fbclid=IwAR1Nfs4JdQHbTGJnzy_dz4o_vITZqWbnpBsb0biyu3tKJc0tneNfkKQUEQM

Both franchises have their vices.

Reply #913703 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Last year

At the start of the series I thought NZ would win 3-2 so full credit to the Kings being in the box seat with a 2-1 lead and without much from Cooks and to a lesser degree Walton.

I just hope NZ are able to win today to at least send the series to a fifth game.

Reply #913704 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last year

Breakers had a right to complain about the foul count, some calls going against nz don't get call on Sydney. I’ll give refs a help, check out kings moving screens. Buford rant about all blacks clearly has worked.

Like all above kings got this easy. Breakers bench just not in same league as kings.

Reply #913705 | Report this post

KET  
Last year

Carn the Kiwis, make it a 5 game series plz

Reply #913706 | Report this post

EssenX  
Last year

The Breakers play aggressively and the Kings attack the rim relentlessly so the foul count will be lopsided. Having said that, some of the calls on the Breakers rebounding and offensively last game were poor. I wouldn't be surprised if the calls swing the other way tonight. Ultimately, however, Breakers will have to shoot the ball much better on top of staying out of foul trouble to steal this one.

Reply #913707 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Last year

Come on New Zealand, do it for Australia.

Reply #913708 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last year

Breakers attack the ring relentlessly as well, Brantley gets whacked and never gets a call, goes to defensive end and he gets called. He then does dumb shit fouls because of frustration.

Reply #913709 | Report this post

Anonymightymouse  
Last year

Breakers haven't been attacking the rim like they usually do, falling into the Kings invitation to shoot from outside. Only 14 points in the paint in Game 3 would surely have to be a season low for any team!

Reply #913711 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last year

Soares and Hunters size with Cooks and Noi athleticism just to much for breakers, a massive game from Loe could help.

Reply #913712 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last year

Breakers fighting, crude foul by Cooks.

Reply #913714 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last year

Been absolutely magnificent game so far, unbelievable by both teams

Reply #913715 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Last year

Breakers have this in the bag. Ever since the Breakers came out publicly about the foul count. It's impossible for that not to come into the minds of the ref.

Reply #913716 | Report this post

hoopie  
Last year

I still don't think Brown should be retained by Breakers - too inconsistent and never met a shot he wouldn’t take.

Reply #913717 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last year

Record breaking crowd in nz

Reply #913718 | Report this post

GordonG  
Last year

Fun game - so far.

Reply #913719 | Report this post

koberulz  
Last year

Cooks should have been ejected on his second foul.

Reply #913720 | Report this post

Knowall  
Last year

I thought that pulling on opponents singlet was automatic unsportsmanlike foul. LK just told us the outcome, he wants game 5 in Sydney

Reply #913721 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last year

Game far from over, great half of basketball. Cooks defensively in the nba is going to be on struggle street. Game far from over.

Reply #913722 | Report this post

hoopie  
Last year

Too early to call this - both teams are too good to write off after a half

Reply #913723 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Last year

Too early to call this - both teams are too good to write off after a half

Totally. Kings could wipe out this deficit in 2 minutes if NZ don't stay focused. Or even if they do.

Reply #913724 | Report this post

LV  
Last year

This series is further cementing my view that Cooks will find himself buried on the end of a bench. Or G League

Reply #913725 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last year

Breakers 7 from 15 from stripe

Reply #913726 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last year

Why do breakers go away from what they do in third quarter every time, get ball in WMW hands and not Brown.

Reply #913728 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Last year

Abercrombie turning back the clock.

Reply #913729 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last year

Playing Soares ahead of Hunter when Hunter was killing it was very charitable for nz

Reply #913730 | Report this post

Knowall  
Last year

What Larry wants Larry gets

Reply #913731 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Last year

Game 5 Violet Crumbles for the people please.

Reply #913732 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last year

As a fan very enjoyable game and the 50-50 calls for the first time went to nz. Absolute great series.
Brown can be a winner but needs to still pass more, Abercrombie just does what he always does, the one percenters, minus three point shots.

Kings were still very good and clearly favourites in game five, Cooks will have to lift though and more Hunter.

Reply #913733 | Report this post

Mystro  
Last year

Great series so far, an absolute arm wrestle.

Loved the atmosphere at Spark Arena.

Reply #913734 | Report this post

Anonymightymouse  
Last year

I think LV can now stop mentioning Game 3 of Melbourne v Sydney, we found a peer when it came to home cooking today!

I've really enjoyed this series though, so more than happy to see a decider. Was very happy for Brantley to turn around his shocker the other night, he's been a great player all season and his game the other night didn't reflect his year at all.

Walton is such a tough player, the Breakers got their gap when he was on the bench courtesy of the cooking, but he is just so strong and able to play through contact with composure.

Should be a hell of a game Weds, hopefully down to the wire.

Reply #913735 | Report this post

Anonymightymouse  
Last year

BTW attendance for this series should now pass 60K, which will surely be a record for an NBL GF?

Reply #913736 | Report this post

LV  
Last year

This has turned into a belter of a series

Yes NZ got the better of the calls today.

Both teams going through regular scoring droughts but Brantley and Brown stepped up and hit some big shots, breaking through the defensive malaise today.

Key for NZ Friday is executing offense, starting with WMW getting through the pick and rolls and creating, then the two imports finishing. 2nd key will be staying out of foul trouble as Sydney attacks the rim hard.

Reply #913738 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Last year

BTW attendance for this series should now pass 60K, which will surely be a record for an NBL GF?

Yes, by virtue of there being only four series in the past go to a fifth game and played in smaller venues.

Reply #913742 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last year

NZ got the rub of the green today, nothing like Sydney did against United a few seasons back. About time to for breakers as first three games it went all kings way. You need a bit luck to get these big games.

Reply #913743 | Report this post

Chrisp  
Last year

Check out Chase Bulford's press conference where he walked out. LOL. Moaner.

https://nbl.com.au/tv/press-conferences/1592178/Press-Conference:-Buford-and-Gattorna-vs-Breakers

Reply #913744 | Report this post

Chrisp  
Last year

Check out Chase Bulford's press conference where he walked out. LOL. Moaner.

https://nbl.com.au/tv/press-conferences/1592178/Press-Conference:-Buford-and-Gattorna-vs-Breakers

Reply #913745 | Report this post

LV  
Last year

Buford is a good coach but he's also an embarrassment for the nbl

LK and Loeliger need to work something out to reign him in.

Reply #913748 | Report this post

DR  
Last year

So the coach says it's 5 against 8 pretty much calling the refs cheats grow some balls nbl this is a suspension . This wouldn’t be tolerated in any other sport

Reply #913750 | Report this post

Scout  
Last year

Chase needs to grow up, it is a final series. Maybe concentrate on the Brown v Walton match up acknowledge the d of the Breakers and move on

Reply #913751 | Report this post

Anonymightymouse  
Last year

"Yes, by virtue of there being only four series in the past go to a fifth game and played in smaller venues."

There's been 49K so far, how many GF series have had more than that for four games? There were over 39K after three games, I reckon off the top of my head only the Melbourne derbies of the 90s could better that.

Reply #913756 | Report this post

koberulz  
Last year

Brisbane-Perth in 1991?

Reply #913758 | Report this post

Anonymightymouse  
Last year

"This series is further cementing my view that Cooks will find himself buried on the end of a bench. Or G League"

He won't play on one leg in the NBA, he'll rehab before he tries to play. If this wasn't the playoffs he wouldn't be playing.

Reply #913759 | Report this post

Anonymightymouse  
Last year

That Perth-Brisbane series in 1990 was pumping, but the capacities would have allowed for about 35K over the three games from memory.

Reply #913761 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Last year

South Dragons vs Tigers got pretty big crowds in 2009.

Reply #913764 | Report this post

Sebastian  
Last year

Cooks wont play in the NBA this season. Then he will sit in the G league next year

Reply #913765 | Report this post

koberulz  
Last year

Yes, sorry, 1990.

Wiki says just under 35k.

Tigers were at the Cage in 2009 weren't they?

Reply #913766 | Report this post

Knowall  
Last year

Buford just spent the whole presser slagging the refs, what a joke terrible human being.

Reply #913767 | Report this post

Sebastian  
Last year

The league wont do anything so he will continue to carry on.

Reply #913770 | Report this post

LV  
Last year

it worked for Buford in the semi finals and it'll work again. NBL needs to properly penalise him

2009 crowds were actually not great.

1997 definitely had 15,000 for the deciding game (I was there and sitting very close to the back and behind the basket) but it was only a 3 game series.

The NBL is in a great place. Good on you LK. Years ago I used to play basketball against his son, he came to watch the game at least once. Loves his basketball. Great guy.

Reply #913771 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Last year

Tigers were at the Cage in 2009 weren't they?

Yes, I just checked the crowds and they were small. My bad, carry on.

Reply #913772 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last year

Feel sorry for Gattorna having to sit next to Buford through that press conference, why take a player who has played next to nothing through the series. You can't behave like Buford, it’s a total blight on the game and a disgusting show of sportsmanship. F..k me up until today basically all close calls have gone kings way. It’s just wrong on all circumstances.

Reply #913782 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last year

Maor's press conference nothing but respect for both opposition and officials. As he said kings play as physical as breakers, Buford just trying to get in refs heads. He should be suspended, no ifs or buts.

Reply #913786 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Last year

That's a joke right Dunkman? I'm not a fan of Buford; but using Maor as a moral compass is a bit ironic. Dude has had some big outbursts this season hasn't he?

Reply #913787 | Report this post

dddd  
Last year

Coaches will play mind games with the refs win or lose. If you win (and win the foul and free throw counts), of course you're going to act respectful. If you lose, you’re going to try and influence the reffing to favour your playing style. A few days ago, NZ were complaining about foul counts for the previous six games and insinuating there was pro-Aussie/anti-Kiwi bias. A few weeks ago Buford was complaining about 'rugby’ tactics. It’s all part of the game within the game.

Reply #913788 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last year

I watch all press conferences through out the season, Moar and Buford press conferences are like chalk and cheese. There's no comparison after losses. He called that the refs were playing for nz, I’m old enough to remember sportsmanship.

Reply #913790 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Last year

There's been 49K so far, how many GF series have had more than that for four games? There were over 39K after three games, I reckon off the top of my head only the Melbourne derbies of the 90s could better that.

Melbourne derbies of the 90s were 15K x 3.

Reply #913791 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Last year

'00 series that went all the way to five had smaller aggregate crowds since the Razorbacks (vs. Kings) and Tigers (vs. Kings and Dragons) played in small stadia.

Reply #913792 | Report this post

Gus3232  
Last year

The bigger dick move by Buford was taking a bloke in who had played a single minute in the game. What a c***head. Having worked several post match press conferences many years ago, I know how much the league and in particular the broadcaster would be seething at that garbage. What a disrespectful moron.

Reply #913793 | Report this post

Mystro  
Last year

Buford complains about NZ being physical while his MVP Cooks is yanking players jerseys all game lol.

Reply #913794 | Report this post

EssenX  
Last year

I think Buford is worried. The Breakers haven't really shot that well all series. If they do, it’s game over for the Kings. Santa mentioned an interesting statistic that when Brantley is in the court the Breakers are out scoring the Kings. Buford’s game plan is then pretty simple: ensure the Breakers are in foul trouble and the Kings win the championship.

Reply #913795 | Report this post

LV  
Last year

Yeah Game 3 NZB led at half time. It all fell apart in the 2nd half. ie: When Brantley was in foul trouble. He had a -9 but some of the other starters where -15 or more.

As of this moment Brantley is clearly the MVP of this series.

Having said that, Cooks has had a very quiet series. One MVP-level game from him and Sydney will be very tough to beat.

Reply #913796 | Report this post

LV  
Last year

Having said that, WMW has been excellent too

Thats also been a main difference throughout this series- the games NZB looks dangerous, WMW has been able to work off the pick and rolls, create for others and/or finish. The times Sydney has shut them down, it's started with excessive pressure on the ball and pushing WMW out of his rhythm.

Reply #913797 | Report this post

Anonymightymouse  
Last year

"Melbourne derbies of the 90s were 15K x 3."

The 92 and 96 series sold out the first two games but not the third. I think both were about 43K in total which was incredible. The 1997 series didn't get quite as many early, but was close to sold out, if not full, for the third game.

Reply #913798 | Report this post

Anonymightymouse  
Last year

"As of this moment Brantley is clearly the MVP of this series."

He's had two good games and two down games and was completely outplayed by Noi in G2. Same story with WMW. If NZ win probably whoever has the best game five out of those two gets it.

Justin Simon and Angus Glover have been the most consistent and impactful Kings players in the series, so potentially out of those two if Sydney win.

However, if it's just voted on at the end of the series a huge G5 by Walton or Brown could see them get it because the voters will have that fresh in their minds. If it's done game-by-game it's probably out of the four I mentioned.

Reply #913799 | Report this post

Anonymightymouse  
Last year

*completely outplayed is probably a bit harsh, but Noi was a game breaker in that match.

Reply #913800 | Report this post

LV  
Last year

Yeah you're right. Brantley yesterday was fresh in my mind when I wrote that. I'd already forgotten how incredible WMW was in game 1.

And Simon's defense was next level in game 2, and he stepped up in the absence of Cooks and Walton.

Given the history in Sydney, (both years gone by ;-)....and this year with Cairns, and game 3) staying out of foul trouble is a huge key for NZB.

Reply #913801 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Last year

The 92 and 96 series sold out the first two games but not the third. I think both were about 43K in total which was incredible. The 1997 series didn't get quite as many early, but was close to sold out, if not full, for the third game.

Yes, I rounded up the 1992 and 1996 series going off memory.
I believe the crowds fell away in 1997.

Reply #913809 | Report this post

Anonymightymouse  
Last year

Agree LV. Foul trouble sadly is one of the determining factors so far in the series. It's easy to say players should adjust but there is so much inconsistency on the same type of contact. It's a lottery.

It's anyone's game on Weds which is awesome. The injuries to Walton and Cooks have definitely leveled the playing field, offset to a degree by Brown's injury. Hopefully it's a close game, has been a really good series.

Reply #913815 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last year

Some of Brantley fouls have plain dumb, stupid fouls. He and WMW are the key, as is Cooks and Walton for kings.

Reply #913822 | Report this post

LV  
Last year

Did some googling

43,605 in 1996 over 3 games

Found some old box scores.

Incredible reading. Gaze played 48 minutes every night. In the blow outs - game 3 96 and game 2 97 which were both 37 pt margins- he played over 45 minutes. Bradtke and Copeland also played huge minutes. Guess Lindsay wasn't worried about getting injured in junk time.

Bring back the 90s!

Reply #913830 | Report this post

LV  
Last year

In the 93 grand final Gaze sat on the bench for a total of 34 seconds across the 3 games

I knew he played big minutes but don't remember being literally the entire game. Incredible.

Reply #913831 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Last year

Load management sucks.

Reply #913844 | Report this post

Anonymightymouse  
Last year

Was there a blood rule? Can't see any other reason he'd have gone to the bench!

Of course, we all know Drewy played 24 minutes per night, even if he was on the floor for 48 ;-)

Reply #913856 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Last year

Was there a blood rule? Can't see any other reason he'd have gone to the bench!

Haha, nice.

Reply #913859 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Last year

I'm going to be thinking about mummies all day now.

Reply #913860 | Report this post

LV  
Last year

The more surprising part to me is the playing 45 minutes in a 37 point loss and a 37 point win

Like, imagine they're 35 up with 5 minutes to go. Like was Lindsay's opinion of the bench so low he was worried about dropping the game.

On the other side, did he think Drewy would knock down 14 threes in 5 minutes for the comeback win? I mean he's the GOAT and all, but...

Reply #913862 | Report this post

Anonymightymouse  
Last year

"I'm going to be thinking about mummies all day now."

Hahaha! Me too now!

Reply #913864 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:47 am, Sun 28 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754