Fry
Last year

Future stadiums

With the big ol brisbane live arena being built in the comings years, i was wondering if/when the bullets would be big enough to play there. the location would be all brisbane fans are begging for.

The Kings have been filling out qudos very nicely in postseason so it could eventually be the case that the bullets similarly curtain off a tier in regular season.

Also, will United ever outgrow JCA? Tassie seems to demand a bigger home. And are the 6ers stuck at there arena?

Topic #50991 | Report this topic

Anon  
Last year

United/SEM would just move next door to Rod Laver

Reply #914252 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Last year

Recently proposed
My state bank arena 4th side, total 6,000-6,500 seat
Newcastle 11,000 seat arena near football stadium.
SBC arena 8,000 seat behind new 139 million upgrade.
Ais arena refurb to 5,000-6,000 seat - close to approval
Brisbane live - 17,000 seat - guaranteed
SC Kawana sport centre 6,000 seat - guaranteed
Couple of years ago, proposed new wellingtonnarena. 9,000 seat

Reply #914258 | Report this post

a5ian nbl fan  
Last year

Rod Laver arena wouldn't be able to cater court side seats as well

Reply #914259 | Report this post

koberulz  
Last year

Rod Laver hosted basketball just fine from the early 90s through to the early 00s, as well as an international game a few years ago.

Reply #914265 | Report this post

Statman84  
Last year

Brisbane Live won't be the Bullets' home stadium. It might be used for finals games, but they are looking for a stadium they can own themselves rather than be a tenant being charged top dollar to use.

The proposed precinct around Albion/Breakfast Creek, where the Olympic basketball will be played, is the #1 option at the moment (capacity is going to be 12,000 I believe).

Still a work in progress.

Reply #914293 | Report this post

a5ian nbl fan  
Last year

yeah but the seats at rod laver courtside are shocking and wouldn't cater to corporate sponsors
Margret they played a few years a go

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XH4t2Ue_GFU&ab_channel=FIBA-TheBasketballChannel
not many corp box fits and you can see it with the tennis

Reply #914319 | Report this post

a5ian nbl fan  
Last year

Also the problem with Rod laver it'd cost the teams a lot of money to hire out sure they could make money but Melbourne's numbers

Reply #914320 | Report this post

DreamShake  
Last year

As a Bullets member, either solution is a good one. May also yet be for a State Government that might not want to manage every bit of Olympic infrastructure that is constructed either. Time will tell.

Statman is right in that 17k isn't going to be an every week stadium, although with plans and seating flexibility not yet seen who knows. The club owning their own site certainly would bode well for stability, Albion is as well linked as Brisbane Live/Roma St but it's hardly in the sticks either.

Reply #914321 | Report this post

DreamShake  
Last year

*isn't as well linked, sorry

Reply #914322 | Report this post

Anon  
Last year

a5ian nbl fan I'm sure if United are filling 10,300 every week causing them to look elsewhere RL would be fine.
I was court side at that Oceania game, They tend not to sell box seats courtside to sponsors at internationals.

Reply #914350 | Report this post

NBLTigers  
Last year

I still think United needs their own basketball stadium since they keep getting caught out by the Australian Open January. Rod Laver is too dear and the design won't suite basketball since the blue seats are too high just like Margaret court. The NBL23 schedule was a joke for Melbourne since we had zero home games in January from the tennis.

We can’t play at Parkville, SBC, or even Bendigo since those’s stadiums don’t fit all our members.

I’ve been bugging the nbl to possibly add an extra 4 home games to our 14 game memberships so then in January United could have at least 4 home games in Jan which won’t be part of our membership. Only for the diehard fans like myself who will go. Then play at Parkville, SBC or even regional! Otherwise just play seasons during the EuroLeague seasons from Sep to May. Footy won’t effect the crowds since I know lots of diehard nbl fans who would chose NBL over AFL.

Reply #914356 | Report this post

NBLTigers  
Last year

Sydney fans are exactly the same as the Swans in the AFL. Loved seeing Sydney get smacked in last years AFL grand final. Plus 2014 was nice too lol!

If it wasn't for their anger management coach I would like Sydney. Glad Chase is going to the Atlanta Hawks, now Sydney have to find a new coach.

Reply #914357 | Report this post

koberulz  
Last year

Footy won't effect the crowds
LOL.

Reply #914358 | Report this post

NBLTigers  
Last year

Opps wrong thread, delete the Swans message lol.

Reply #914359 | Report this post

KET  
Last year

Brisbane sounds like an interesting situation - is that talking a new stadium? Renovated stadia?

SBC and 8k seats would be nice - perfect for SEM to host more games and just keep the biggest ones for JCA. Aslong as the parking remains!

SBC is very convenient personally, no more than 20mins down High St - hope they host the 36ers!

United will always be put out by tennis, is what it is. Just have to treat it like the spurs with their Rodeo trip. United to have their own stadia would be silly, you're not going get a nice city central 10k stadium for United and have it not used for the Tennis.

Reply #914369 | Report this post

KET  
Last year

Also lol, footy crowds definitely would affect NBL crowds. The limited anecdotal evidence is useless.

Reply #914370 | Report this post

koberulz  
Last year

The NBL has come a long way in the past ten years, but back when the Wildcats were in the grand final against the Breakers the top three stories on the sports news in Perth were AFL players' vacation photos from off-season holidays.

Reply #914371 | Report this post

RobT  
Last year

re: Brisbane.

Heard yesterday that the Myer store is not renewing its lease in their Brissy location in the mall.

Would that location be suitable for an NBL stadium?

Not the building, of course, but the location.

Reply #914393 | Report this post

KET  
Last year

Reply #914395 | Report this post

DreamShake  
Last year

No....Myer is a failing major retailer that was looking to reduce its footprint anyway. With the amount of major stadia development in BNE at the moment, the public appetite to plonk additional arenas in inner city areas would be low. Plus the actual footprint would likely be too small, it's a five story vertical complex.

Reply #914442 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:10 pm, Sun 28 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754