Ben
Last year

Sam Newman’s son suing Jock Landale

Slow news week so ...

https://www.news.com.au/sport/sports-life/sam-newmans-son-suing-aussie-basketballer-jock-landale-over-alleged-high-school-assault/news-story/c0b9c15af7094883f259725d3aee06de

The son of AFL personality Sam Newman is taking legal action against his old school and Australian NBA star Jock Landale over an alleged assault when they were at high school together a decade ago.

Max Jones, 25, is taking legal action against Geelong Grammar for negilence and "failing to institute a culture at the school th­at ­prevented the abuse of students by fellow students".

He alleges Landale forced him to the ground and attacked him on February 7, 2013.

The Herald Sun reports Landale is alleged to have repeatedly jumped on Mr Jones' lower stomach to the beat of a song played through a portable speaker in a school common room.

Mr Jones — the son of Newman and Leonie Jones — was in year 10 at the time of the alleged assault, while Landale was in year 12.

Topic #51000 | Report this topic

Weedy Slug  
Last year

I got knocked off the monkey bars in kindy...

Reply #914661 | Report this post

UseTaHoop  
Last year

Ahhh... Geelong Grammar

Alma Mater of the original Bad Seed, Nick Cave.

Reply #914662 | Report this post

Statman84  
Last year

@ Weedy Slug - sorry about that. I was a real jerk in kindy.

Reply #914715 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Last year

I remember when Dwayne Russell would commentate NBL games he would bang on all the time about Geelong Grammar it's always been known as a footy player factory and given he used to play for the Geelong Cats and lived there for quite some time after retiring, perhaps still does, he used to mention Landale being from that high school every United game he called.

Reply #914721 | Report this post

KET  
Last year

Could be worse, he could bang on about Port Adelaide.....

Reply #914724 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Last year

I remember him doing just that when he used to call Port games in the AFL start banging on about all the Port Magpies premierships and glory years like that's got anything to do with anything.

But nah I get real sick and tired of Victorians, which he effectively is, banging on about how bloody fantastic Melbourne/Vic is every damn time they get anywhere near a mic. Eddie McGuire on his game show is the same working Vic into virtually every sentence, Collingwood gets regular mentions too. Bill Lawry used to do it every Boxing Day test gushing about how glorious the MCG is, even some of the other commentators used to take the piss out of him about it.

Even LV with all his carry on about Melb United, if this injury didn't happen they would've won this title or this call didn't happen they would've been playing another opponent who they would've beaten instead. Completely forgetting the good fortune they had to win that championship in 2018.

If not for all the luck they got in that 2018 GF they would only have the 2021 title to show for all the years of obliterating the salary cap and poaching star players from other teams and even then they did exactly that that season with Landale being the highest paid player in the league that season, ironically they spent even more on Delly the following season and that went tits up.

There's always been something uniquely myopic about Victorians and how extremely parochial they are, especially Melburnians. They really do think Melbourne is the centre of the universe or at least should be.

Reply #914725 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last year

All sides that win GF get a bit luck. Victoria is a great place and I'm not from there.

Reply #914726 | Report this post

KET  
Last year

Haha Victorians definitely have a super parochial world-revolves-around-best-in-the-world-Melbourne character to them.

Adelaideans have a super parochial chip-on-shoulder-not-in-my-backyard character.

It makes for a nice tit-for-tat!

As an Adelaidean that lives in Melbourne, I do love engaging in the anti-Vic banter with the Vics, but also can't help but find the Adelaide meets South Park small town mentality funny with a bit of sad.

Reply #914727 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Last year

I'm not sure that mindset applies generally to people from Adelaide, I've never really come across it in my life I certainly don't feel the need to ram the supposed greatness of Adelaide down interstaters throats any chance I get. Nor do I know anyone that does, I just don't get that mentality.

In saying that though it certainly does apply to the old money North Adelaide/Burnside types though but that's only the pointy end of the population. It was hilarious when Paul Keating used to taunt Alexander Downer the then opposition leader as being "the idiot son of the Adelaide aristocracy".

One of the few things I'll give the Vics is their taunt of SA that when you cross the border into SA you need to set your watch back 30 years lol

Reply #914730 | Report this post

KET  
Last year

" I'm not sure that mindset applies generally to people from Adelaide"

That's what a one-eyed Adelaidean would say :)

Reply #914741 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Last year

Perhaps you've spent a bit too much time in Vic-land, my condolences.

Reply #914744 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Last year

Adelaideans have a super parochial chip-on-shoulder-not-in-my-backyard character.

The same applies to Perth people, hence my nickname.

Reply #914747 | Report this post

KET  
Last year

Haha Zodiac you're not doing a good job straying from the descriptor I gave!

I don’t think vics or South Aussies would admit to either. Funny how people can be so similar ;)

Reply #914750 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Last year

KET, I realise I must've touched a nerve about my little critique of your adopted Melburnians to get that snarky response from you but the problem always with you on here is you're too arrogant for your own good.

Aside from the fact I never said anything of a one-eyed nature and despite me trying to play nice with you and replying to more of your posts today than I probably have in the last five years combined your smart-arsed arrogance can't help but rear it's head, again.

Now go back to lecturing me on how DJ's under contract for next season and how people like me should stop saying he's going to be a free agent.

Reply #914752 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Last year

Zodiac is to SA what LV is to Victoria.

Reply #914753 | Report this post

KET  
Last year

Haha indeed PW, the reaction says it all...

That hysterical reaction was *just so on point*, almost as to affirm the descriptor I gave! I just felt it lacked the NIMBY tbh.

I love it. Own it and accept it - it's fantastic for people to be different, keeps society interesting.

Reply #914761 | Report this post

Cram  
Last year

I dont think there's anything remotely unique to Vc or SA about people thinking wherever they happen to live is the best place to live or the big city vs small town/country banter.

Reply #914763 | Report this post

UseTaHoop  
Last year

Zodiac

Please don't belittle the idiot sons of the mainland aristocracy.

And don’t forget that Queensland is 1 hour, 3 months and 20 years behind the other eastern states. They catch up by an hour in a couple of weeks though.

Reply #914782 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Last year

Haha indeed PW, the reaction says it all...

That hysterical reaction was *just so on point*, almost as to affirm the descriptor I gave! I just felt it lacked the NIMBY tbh.

I love it. Own it and accept it - it's fantastic for people to be different, keeps society interesting.

and the subsequent silence is deafening.

Classic Hoops moment.

Reply #915196 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:54 am, Mon 29 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754