Frisbee14
Last year

Another Ball to NBL (laughing emoji)

Haven't heard much from Lavar really since his peak but just made another BBB statement. Absurd, probably more NBL1 standard, and especially with Breakers coming off a great season. Can't see any advantage whatsoever apart from a tiny article somewhere in States saying Gelos big brother is following his footsteps in Australia. Kid wasnt as talented as siblings, should have stayed at UCLA and gotten better there.

LaMelo Ball lit the NBL up during his one season as a member of the Illawarra Hawks. Now, there's talks his older brother, LiAngelo, could turn out for the New Zealand Breakers in NBL24.

LiAngelo, 24, most recently turned out for the Greensboro Swarm in the NBA G-League, and earned multiple Summer League contracts with the Charlotte Hornets in 2021.

LiAngelo’s father, LaVar, appeared on radio in New Zealand stating his son could pursue any NBL opportunities that come his way.

"This ain’t even heard of in the States," he said on Mai Morning Crew. “My son, LiAngelo Ball, wants to play for the New Zealand Breakers.

“I’m trying to let y’all know - it’s finna (sic) go wild. Simon (Edwards), the GM, get in touch with the Big Baller.

“I’m bringing another Ball boy to the NBL.”

Topic #51011 | Report this topic

Pablo Escobar  
Last year

Not sure Mody is that stupid. The last Ball destroyed Matt Flinn's coaching credentials at Illawarra.

Reply #915015 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Last year

The fact Lavar is asking, essentially begging the Breakers to give LiAngelo a contract tells you all you need to know.

Reply #915024 | Report this post

Mystro  
Last year

Glen Rice Jnr 2.0, thanks but no thanks.

Mody has built a great team culture in a short space in time, I doubt he would want to flush all of that with one contract.

Reply #915025 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Last year

LiAngelo should sign in China.

Reply #915034 | Report this post

Ben  
Last year

Not sure LiAngelo would cut it as an import in NBL1 tbh.

Reply #915047 | Report this post

Anon  
Last year

Ben you smoking something if you don't think he couldn't cut it in NBL1.

He's got going to be import 1 or 2 in a NBL squad but would fit in most as the 3rd.

Reply #915066 | Report this post

Ben  
Last year

Yes, what was I thinking. Those 2.3ppg in the G League absolutely translate to being an NBL import.

Reply #915080 | Report this post

NBL Fan  
Last year

A lot of "fans" put a high commodity on high PPG in a league ... it's all about opportunity & fit for players.

We some guys have a high PPG in G League or good stats in certain leagues then come to Australia & stink it up. These teams that have good imports year in & year out actually watch film on these guys & see how it can work. On paper looks good on paper but doesn’t win championships

Reply #915084 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Last year

That may be so but it doesn't apply in this case - LiAngelo is a bum.

Reply #915085 | Report this post

hoopie  
Last year

I don't know if he’s a bum or not, but he’s a NAME and that matters to a lot of fanboys. This is just like all the chatter about LeBron’s kid coming here, and the rest of the Balls over the years.

Performance >>>>> name for me every time.

Reply #915089 | Report this post

Diop Kick  
Last year

As a charlotte fan I've seen Gelo play a few summer league games, he can definitely shoot the 3. He just doesn’t have the size and athleticism for the nba, especially as he ended up playing sf a bit. Not sure how he’d go in the fast NBL but he wouldn’t be terrible

Reply #915183 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:20 am, Mon 29 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754