Woj
Last year

Wiley back to Sixers

Just saw Boti mention that Wiley will return to Sixers, Frank's most likely gone.

Topic #51045 | Report this topic

KET  
Last year

Oh geez...I don't know about this

Reply #915816 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Last year

You've got to be kidding me.

Reply #915819 | Report this post

Master Chief  
Last year

Might be wise to judge this after seeing who they sign to start at the 5, but first instinct tells me they haven't learnt much and still don't know what the issues are...

Reply #915820 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Last year

Oh man...

Aside from Franks being a much better player than Wiley I never got why a lot of Sixers fans were so enamoured with him at the time and that was four years ago now too. No doubt he'll be a fair bit cheaper than Franks would've been.

Let me guess start DJ at the 5 with Wiley at the 4 what could possibly go wrong?

Reply #915822 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Last year

He has been up and down his whole career. A big risk.

Reply #915823 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last year

Had lot clubs in Europe, moved to Japan and played seven games, all losses, now on puerto Rico. Changes clubs a lot even mid seasons. Sixers going totally budget, possibly thinking Gleeson migh be available the following season.

Reply #915825 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last year

They be better getting Casper, who has had a great season in Russia, a true point guard.

Reply #915826 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Last year

Casper is likely too expensive for NBL teams to afford now.

Reply #915827 | Report this post

Master Chief  
Last year

I don't even think it's about risk, it's just hard to see the logic?

He has played in decent leagues since leaving Adelaide, so I don't think he would be that cheap, and is only 28 still.

But yes, ulitmate concern is that he is another big remembered for offering nothing at the defensive end.

All comes down to what their plans are, but can't see it working (obviously) if DJ starts along side him.

Could be useful as a bit of an energy big off the bench covering 4/5.

Reply #915829 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last year

I used Casper as an example re him coming to Sixers rumours a while back, hopefully this is still a rumour to get his price up elsewhere.
Just while on Sixers, McVeigh who was terrible at sixer and had Roth turn him around has been by far the best player in the end season stint in Europe, his side are 6 wins 1 loss since he's arrived, his side has gone from near bottom to mid table and won every game he’s started, playing more three but also in four spot.

Reply #915830 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Last year

You said that same crap about McVeigh at the time he signed with Tassie, he was not terrible at the Sixers far from it actually.

In his last season with us he played all 36 games and in 18.9 mpg he averaged 9.4 ppg & 3.3 rpg shooting 47.8% on FG, 42.5% 3pt and 91.5% FT. Nothing remotely terrible about those numbers and Sixers fans who knew the potential he had were sorry to see him go.

Reply #915833 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last year

Ok maybe a bit harsh but defensively he wasn't great, he also had some brain explosions, Roth has made him use his offensive talents with a far better defensive performance and understanding of the game.

Reply #915843 | Report this post

sixtiesrockstar  
Last year

Could dunk the ball, but then get too busy celebrating to even bother playing defence. I can remember he used to get lost a lot on defence and end up guarding no-one when you already had Dj and his non defence, but he was quite happy playing offence.

Reply #915845 | Report this post

sixtiesrockstar  
Last year

The McVeigh at Tassie is just an older experienced player than he was at Adelaide. Was also given more of a role which gave him confidence with more game time. At Sixers I don't think he was used great, would get benched just as hew was getting going, etc.

Reply #915846 | Report this post

Scout  
Last year

Not sure about Wiley - seemed solid but not sure if he will improve the 6'ers if this is true.

On Jack McVeigh - very happy as a JJs supporter with the version that has played in Tassie; now has the confidence to take game changing shots and plays D. He is an asset. Would love a strong 4 at the Jackjumpers to allow him to play the 3

Reply #915848 | Report this post

Saint23  
Last year

I reckon my post on another forum is going to be right Wiley and Cam Oliver 4 and 5

Reply #915853 | Report this post

NP  
Last year

Surly not saint23.
I thought I heard they're looking at an import pg, but maybe Humphries and Mathiang etc have said no.

Reply #915873 | Report this post

Tornado  
Last year

36ers would be stupid not to bring in an import guard. You need a dynamic guard to win in this league. Go back (years) and look at all the winning teams...they've always had a dynamic guard - you won't win without one.

Reply #915884 | Report this post

UseTaHoop  
Last year

Dunkman

"Ok maybe a bit harsh but defensively he wasn't great, he also had some brain explosions."

I saw this as a Wiley thread and read it last post to first.

Your contribution worked as an appropriate but understated description of Wiley. He was terrible defensively, and his only defensive move was spectacular looking blocks. He also had brain explosions (but I suspect they were very underpowered explosions, owing to his intelligence level).

He was young when he played for 5he 36ers, but his temperament and decision making flaws never struck me as being a variety to improve with age and maturity.

I'd like to be proven wrong, but this signing will just further hamstring the 36ers as a functional basketball team.

Reply #915887 | Report this post

UseTaHoop  
Last year

Tornado

" 36ers would be stupid not to bring in an import guard. You need a dynamic guard to win in this league. Go back (years) and look at all the winning teams...they've always had a dynamic guard - you won't win without one."

You shot down your own opinion in the first sentence. Can anyone really argue that the 36ers have been anything other than stupid in recruitment and retention for years?

Reply #915888 | Report this post

proud  
Last year

Could the 36ers be stupid enough to go with BOTH Wiley and Franks as their starting bigs ?

Reply #915889 | Report this post

Bertie Bixer  
Last year

If true, can't wait for next year. Have no expectations on them any more. Basket case of a club.

We need a scoring PG/SG to compliment McCarron and a defensive big.

So Frustrating. But suppose doesn't matter who we get, we will still play that crappy social basketball style of play.

Reply #915894 | Report this post

Observer  
Last year

Looks like we are going to be a budget team this season ,very quiet on the recruiting front ,if this rumour of Wiley is true ,better than Franks who showed no interest last season ,hope another club pick him up or get a gig in Russia .
We need a new import ,not a recycled import from another club, Barry Brown would be ideal or a new fresh face .Don't think Humpries be playing for Sixers .

Reply #915898 | Report this post

KET  
Last year

" maybe Humphries and Mathiang etc have said no."

Supposedly Adelaide poked around and cooled on the idea of those two. So it seems 36ers aren't interested in them, I guess.

“36ers would be stupid not to bring in an import guard. You need a dynamic guard to win in this league.”

This is what perplexed me - they need:
1) defensive big
2) dynamic PG
3) perimeter shooting

I don’t know if it’s financially untenable - but don’t you keep Drmic for the 3 &D, keep DJ for the 3, get a dynamo PG import to solve #2 and replace Franks with an import defensive PF?

And then try for someone like Pineau that can not be awful on D as a backup along with Harris/Galloway?

Then you have Cleveland and Dech playing the pressing athletic wings, MM playing the defensive stopper at guard.

Reply #915899 | Report this post

KET  
Last year

If they go the Wiley direction then they're going with no defensive impact and no three point shooting at the big. That’s not going to solve problems, it’ll just cause more surely?

Reply #915900 | Report this post

Frisbee14  
Last year

It has really been quiet apart from Cadee. Last few years, albeit JVG with his expensive propaganda have made big announcements. Has it even been confirmed CJ is back officially? And would really love to read the findings of the end of season review. Wonder where Wiley fits in that.
And pretty quiet on the DJ front as well, maybe most clubs have absolutely no interest. Could he go unsigned or come back with a tail between legs offer?
Wiley was a bit of a knucklehead, always flexing. But I'll take that over a too cool for school Franks.
If they're going budget on imports, could that open the door for an improbable Travers bid? Get a cheap 5 man that just defends and rebounds. More chance of Froling sending Joey a Christmas card, but why not stay the big spender, can only see Travers staying for one more year before he goes overseas.

Reply #915907 | Report this post

Beantown  
Last year

F@rk me this better not be true! The guy was clueless when he played for the Sixers and judging by his Euro stats has not improved one iota. If Wiley signs I don't think I’ll waste my time on this team next season.

Reply #915909 | Report this post

NP  
Last year

KET you could get all 3 or 2 out of 3.
Aussie big Humphries/Mathiang or better
Import PG like Adam's/Walton Jr.
Then a free agent shooter.

Cadee will give some more 3 point shooting/better guard play off the bench. A great import PG will make a huge difference. Maybe McCaron might have learnt how to shoot in the off season?

I’m ok with Wiley, he was 23 when he was here last and you’d think he’s improved a touch. If he brings the same energy and cutting prowess that will open up the court.

Reply #915912 | Report this post

KET  
Last year

Rumour is Adelaide had a sniff and aren't interested in Humphries or Mathiang

Reply #915913 | Report this post

SixersFan  
Last year

Observer "We need a new import ,not a recycled import from another club, Barry Brown would be ideal "

Did you just change your mind mid sentence?

Reply #915914 | Report this post

Beantown  
Last year

NP nothing about Wiley's stats in Europe suggest he is the guy the Sixers need. He has a career average of 4 rebounds per game, doesn’t play more than 20 mins a night and rarely has played more than 20 games in a season!

https://www.basketball-reference.com/international/players/jake-wiley-1.html

Reply #915915 | Report this post

NP  
Last year

Wiley's last 5 game numbers are around Nick Kay’s in Japan.
Let’s remember Wiley is a PF not a Centre.
My comments are based around a starting centre being here and a gun PG and Wiley taking less salary than Franks to allow the above.
Let’s see the next 3 players signed before we burn down the house. Granted it normally hasn’t worked out well.

Hopefully have a better local Centre KET?

Reply #915916 | Report this post

Beantown  
Last year

I'd much rather have Franks than replace him with Wiley, even if Wiley is cheaper. But the bigger issue is that if we sign Wiley then we have two import slots filled, leaving one slot to cover either an elite guard or a defensive centre, when we need both if we want to make the playoffs. There are very few local options that have any hope of fulfilling either role for us.

Reply #915917 | Report this post

Jonno  
Last year

I personally didnt like Franks, had a poor attitude IMO and seemed to pad his stats when games were basically over and no hustle especially on defence, happy to give Wiley a go instead of him, I'd personally prefer to sign Marcus Lee instead though.

The key to me will be getting a high level import PG like a Walton, if we just had him last season, even with our other flaws we probably make the 6.

Reply #915927 | Report this post

Drexler  
Last year

Franks showed signs of excellence a handful of times but for the most part appeared like he didn't give a $hit about playing for Adelaide. Someone who doesn't want to be there is team cancer, adios.

Reply #915929 | Report this post

Bertie Bixer  
Last year

After seeing the budgets for last season, we way overspent for what got. Owner trying to buy a championship.

Failed obviously and now cutting cost to recoup. Turning into a destination for players just looking for pay check.

Our own South Aussies don't want to play for the club. We need a local hero like a Maher, but can't see that happening soon.

Reply #915937 | Report this post

Basket 91  
Last year

Don't mind this depending on the centre or import guard. Something like
Import/Cadee
McCarron/Marshall
Cleveland/Dech
Wiley/Galloway/Harris
Humphries or Johnson/Pineau or Majok

Other options could be
Import/Cadee
McCarron/Marshall
Cleveland/Dech
Majok Deng/Galloway/Harris
Import C (Marcus Lee type)/back up big

Reply #915949 | Report this post

SixersFan  
Last year

Bertie Bixer "Our own South Aussies don't want to play for the club. We need a local hero like a Maher, but can't see that happening soon."

What state do you think Nick Marshall was born in?

Reply #915955 | Report this post

Bertie Bixer  
Last year

1 player out of 11. Lol.

Reply #915958 | Report this post

sixtiesrockstar  
Last year

Franks couldn't get rebounds unless was on his own. Would get outbodied and beaten anytime someone else was contesting him. I couldn't believe how many times he would get his hands to a rebound that should have been his as was in font/best position only for it to be taken by his opponent. Sixers need a rim protector who can get double doubles with rebounds and points.
Franks was also not great at using his body to seal down low and would lose position to opponent too often.

Reply #915959 | Report this post

sixtiesrockstar  
Last year

The fact that Sixers have been unable to land South Aussies says a lot. Not sure how hard they went after Isaac White, but he should have been a priority. Long term he offers a lot more than Cadee to partner Marshall. What conclusions are are we supposed to jump to when all other South Aussies are signing for interstate clubs when they were up for grabs.

Reply #915963 | Report this post

Bertie Bixer  
Last year

Exactly sixtiesrockstar.

Reply #916008 | Report this post

Bertie Bixer  
Last year

Exactly sixtiesrockstar.

Reply #916009 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Last year

If it was something like this, I think that they will be ok.

ADELAIDE 36ERS

PG: McCarron - Cadee
SG: Import* - NS - Dech
SF: Cleveland* - Marshall

PF: White - Wiley* - Galloway
C: Maker - (Humphries or Mathiang)

Reply #916010 | Report this post

NP  
Last year

The McCarron pg ship has sailed.
Who's white?
Maker as in Thon?

Reply #916011 | Report this post

KET  
Last year

Piggy backing the Jack white rumour that came out of nowhere I think.

Olgun was saying he wouldn't be surprised if Jack was elevated to Denver proper next year and here we have this lolz

Reply #916012 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Last year

He on a 2 way, a non guaranteed contract in which the salary is based on who he plays for, denver or grand rapids.
a guaranteed 2+ mil multi year contract with nba out is much better than what he's on now. People forget a pro sports career doesn’t go on forever. $$$ does play apart.
Denver can push him to the nbl over inferior g league, save $$, add new 2 way and pickup whites contract if needed at anytime.
The current denver roster has very little wiggle room, I think it’s possible.

Reply #916013 | Report this post

sixtiesrockstar  
Last year

@Weedy Not sure I would have much faith in your back court of McCarron/Cadee and Dech getting job done.
Going off last season I think Marshall will play as a guard more than SF, which would make back court more likely to be Marshall/McCarron/Clevelend/Cadee in some sort of rotation with Dech, etc.

Reply #916037 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Last year

Mccarron with his size I can't see playing sg, an import 2 who is a great shooter Imo, like Randall without the drama.

Reply #916038 | Report this post

Q Anon  
Last year

This signing sounds unlikely now. Classic 36ers moves.

Reply #916299 | Report this post

NP  
Last year

Why's the signing unlikely now and how’s this a classic 36ers move?
Boti mentioned the Wiley could be on his way back.

Reply #916309 | Report this post

Jonno  
Last year

Be a good thing to not get Wiley and sign Marcus Lee instead IMO

Reply #916313 | Report this post

NP  
Last year

Jonno you must have missed that Wiley dropped 27 on Creeky last week plus 7 blocks.

Reply #916314 | Report this post

KET  
Last year

I think Q Anon might be one of those on here that's historically shown accurate insight to the 36ers?

Reply #916315 | Report this post

Beantown  
Last year

NP, I watched the game and it was 27 pts against a midget brigade! Wiley played the same team a couple of weeks later and they had Soares in the middle. He only scored 4 points in that game.

Jake's stats in Puerto Rico this season:
https://www.flashscore.com/player/wiley-jacob/fL5Mcwjj/

Reply #916321 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Last year

Thanks for the context Beantown.

Reply #916323 | Report this post

NP  
Last year

I also watched the game and he bullied Creek. Creek plays as a 4 in the NBL.
Ave 6 points and 2 rebounds less than Creek currently. Creek is in MVP conversations in the NBL.

Reply #916325 | Report this post

NP  
Last year

Doesn't matter anyone, by the sounds of it he’s not coming.

Reply #916327 | Report this post

Beantown  
Last year

Wiley didn't bully Creek at all. He scored a few points on him and Creek did the same to him at the other end.

The difference is that Creek can get his points from anywhere on the floor. Wiley scores most of his points in the paint and can be shut down more easily when there is a bigger post player to deter him.

That’s why Franks is better than Wiley too. He can adapt and score inside and out, depending on his matchup.

But more important than any of this is that if we sign Wiley, we either miss out on an import point guard or an import centre. That will seriously limit the chances of the Sixers making the playoffs for the sixth year in a row!

Reply #916328 | Report this post

Jonno  
Last year

NP, I dont really have a problem with Wiley, he's a good player IMO, I just want an import C like Marcus Lee and not an import PF, given we are unlikely to be able to find a local C to fill that gap from last season, which was arguably our biggest issue.

Reply #916329 | Report this post

NP  
Last year

And there's the local Centre

Reply #916351 | Report this post

Jonno  
Last year

Yea, Humphries definitely gives us a local big who can protect the paint, which makes a guy like Wiley more workable in the import spot

I think I'd personally still go for Marcus Lee and pair him with Humphries like United had last season

But olgun article mentions they are looking at a import PG and forward.

Looks like we might end up with something like

Humphries/pinau
Wiley/starling/Galloway
Cleveland/Marshall
McCarron/dech
Import/cadee

Which if everyone stays healthy and they get a high quality import PG is more balanced than last season and has plugged last season's biggest weaknesses.

Reply #916377 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:02 am, Sun 28 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754