Frisbee14
Last year

Travers signs with United

Melbourne United have struck another massive deal in NBL Free Agency, and have signed emerging talent Luke Travers to a three-year contract.

The signing of Travers follows the announcement of the re-signing of former NBL MVP candidate Jo Lual-Acuil Jr last week.

Travers - who was selected by the Cleveland Cavaliers in the 2022 NBA Draft and was a finalist for the NBL's inaugural Next Generation Award last season – will arrive at United after four seasons and 100 games at his hometown Perth Wildcats.

After initially joining Perth as a development player the 21-year-old became a crucial part of the Wildcats’ rotation under former head coach Scott Morrison in NBL22, which lead to him being drafted by the Cavaliers.

After playing the NBA Summer League with Cleveland ahead of NBL23, Travers experienced a massive jump in both responsibility and statistics under John Rillie.

Last season he averaged 9.8 points on 50 per cent shooting (40.5 per cent from three), 5.6 rebounds and three assists across 27 regular season appearances.

"It’s a super exciting opportunity, I’m just looking forward to getting there and getting to work," Travers said.

“Learning from guys like Dave Barlow, Chris Goulding and the vets that are in this group, I just can’t wait to get together with this team.

“It’s an opportunity for me to take my game to the next level... United have sent guys to the NBA and that’s where I’m trying to get to.

“Playing in front of our fans at John Cain Arena as a United player is going to be amazing. I’ve played there plenty of times against Melbourne and seeing how that place gets, I just can’t wait to be a part of it.”

"He can come in and play the 4 for us which is a crucial position in this league,” Melbourne head coach Dean Vickerman added.

“It starts our defence and initiates our offence, which is a massive strength for Travers. He’s a guy that can grab it off the rim and start the break or someone we can flip it to in the halfcourt to create for others.

“The shooting is really developing, we saw that this year and then he’s a crazy athlete. Someone who can be a lob threat and a dangerous cutter.

“I think with the ball movement that we can generate, people like him are going to have opportunities to attack mismatches and play at a higher pace than he has in the past. This is an opportunity for him to take his game to the next level.”

Alongside the signing of Travers and Acuil Jr, United have also signed former Bullet Tanner Krebs and ex-UC Riverside guard Flynn Cameron for NBL24, as well as development player and Sandringham Sabres captain Campbell Blogg.

Topic #51050 | Report this topic

Jimmyhooper15  
Last year

Good for Luke he will be their primary playmaker. He will get ton of minutes on the ball and Vick will enhance his considerable defensive skills as well.

Reply #915962 | Report this post

radar  
Last year

good luck united if luke is your primary playmaker, as far as im concerned this is the weakest part of his game . decision making

Reply #915965 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Last year

Be interesting to see what position he plays.

Reply #915966 | Report this post

Frisbee14  
Last year

In the article Vickerman says he'll play the 4 and initiate the break off a rebound or start the half court offence, and expect him to play at a faster pace.
I think the big thing for him is having guys like Barlow around to mentor him. He previously had vets in Perth but none that really played the position or style that he needs.
United looking like the team to beat next season. Just need to fill out the rest of the roster with some shooters with CG.

Reply #915970 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Last year

I am yet to see tthe reason for the hype on this kid. I might be totally wrong but there's nothing he's shown me that suggests he's going to be an NBA player.

Reply #915971 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Last year

I've said the same too but I get why the NBL hype the hell out of him and make his signature out to be some sort of coup. United still a long way from being a legit contender IMO.

Reply #915973 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Last year

MELBOURNE UNITED

PG: Rathan-Mayes*? - Ili - Duach

SG: Goulding - Krebs - Cameron - Blogg-dp

SF: Tucker*? - Newley - Triplett-dp
PF: Travers - ? - Machar-dp
C: Lual-Acuil - Hukporti-ns

Lee?

Reply #915975 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Last year

Could be delly over mayes and a bigger guy over Tucker.

Reply #915979 | Report this post

Bws1blood  
Last year

So at what stage is this not a conflict of interest, I having club owners with stakes in more then 1 team in the league

While I have congratulated Sen for there off season moves for Perth

It seems they just swapped out Travers for okwera, I brought loum acual back to united and brought Cameron Flynn in

All. Players who would have also worked well in a cats uniform.

Looks like they are stacking the deck for there hometown

However, I ill reserve judgements to see what else they give the cats this off season

Reply #915984 | Report this post

PyroCross  
Last year

So Olgun has confirmed Travers, CG43 and JLA are all marquees and their fourth marquee is either Delly or an import PG.

JLA | Hukporti (NS)
Travers | Anticevich (?) | Stith (?)
Goulding | Newley
Ili | Krebs | Triplett (?)
Import | Cameron

Assuming Hukporti is a Next Star and Triplett graduates from DP to twelfth man, it's about finding the right backup 4 at a low enough price. Probably two in case one hits. Assume they’re going to keep the HoopCity alignment.

Reply #915988 | Report this post

Bws1blood  
Last year

So at what stage is this not a conflict of interest, Having club owners, with stakes in more then 1 team in the league

While I have congratulated Sen for there off season moves for Perth

It seems they just swapped out Travers for okwera, I brought loum acual back to united and brought Cameron Flynn in

All. Players who would have also worked well in a cats uniform.

Looks like they are stacking the deck for there hometown

However, I ill reserve judgements to see what else they give the cats this off season

Reply #915989 | Report this post

LV  
Last year

[United still a long way from being a legit contender IMO.]

Zodiac, did you forget to take your pills today?

Reply #915992 | Report this post

loungefly  
Last year

SEN sold their stake in United when they bought the wildcats. They have nothing to do with
The Melbourne team..

Reply #915996 | Report this post

LV  
Last year

Imagine how salty the Cats fans will be if two Perth boys lead United to a title

Reply #915998 | Report this post

Anon  
Last year

As a cats fan what annoys me most is playing him at the 4. Always his best position, but playing him as a pg on offence had always seemed counter intuitive and mkte about his decelopment then us winning games. Be interesting to see if it was a cats coaching decision or a pressure form the cavs on what they want developed. Be interesting if united bends to those wishes too. Also annoying that his 3pt shot is finally looking, as a 4man, weak side defender oh boy. As an on ball defender like we played him (maybe we had to), also oh boy but not in a good way. Wish him the best though, as one must, just hopefully he has plenty of personal success,team success, not so much haha

Reply #916000 | Report this post

Bws1blood  
Last year

No they did not sell there stakes.. It was well reported they still had shares in both

Reply #916018 | Report this post

Bws1blood  
Last year

Edit my bad I see they did it last year.... Either way, I if we were lookin at McDowell white it is very interestin that we didnt look to resign Travers..
. $$$$ Obv wasn't the issue.

He def wasn't feelin like hewas on same page with Coach
. Like a number of others on this squad

Reply #916019 | Report this post

AngusH  
Last year

Looks like the purse strings are back open again at United!

Reply #916020 | Report this post

Anonymightymouse  
Last year

"No they did not sell there stakes.. It was well reported they still had shares in both"

They 'had' shares in both, but no longer do:

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2022/07/15/sports-entertainment-network-divests-remaining-stake-in-melbourne-united/

Reply #916029 | Report this post

Ryan  
Last year

"So Olgun has confirmed Travers, CG43 and JLA are all marquees and their fourth marquee is either Delly or an import PG.

JLA | Hukporti (NS)
Travers | Anticevich (?) | Stith (?)
Goulding | Newley
Import | Cameron"

Would be a bit of a weird roster if true. Extremely light on capable wing defenders unless Travers starts shooting well enough to play big minutes as a backup 3 as well. Bringing back Newley with this kind of roster construction would be a mistake in my opinion, would need someone a bit more lively on D

Reply #916043 | Report this post

LV  
Last year

[Looks like the purse strings are back open again at United!]

I would wait to find out how many imports are signed, and what their resumes look like, before making a statement like that

Reply #916044 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Last year

Too early to suggest United are spending big again, clearly no evidence for that (JLA, Travers, Goulding) but not too early to suggest a team that finished 7th last season is now a legit contender!

Reply #916054 | Report this post

AngusH  
Last year

Import selections will determine if the purse strings are just wide open or torn apart altogether.

Reply #916059 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Last year

I hope United do spend big since we need a foil for the Kings.

Reply #916069 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last year

United spending on Goulding, Travers and JLA won't be small change, even if most doesn’t go against the cap as they’ll be marquees.

Reply #916073 | Report this post

AngusH  
Last year

Barring an incredible three imports I don't think the Kings are going to be the team to watch out for next season. We recovered well from losing Adams, but losing a local like Cooks is most likely a bridge too far.

Reply #916074 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Last year

Good point and if so we can go back to hating United the most.

Reply #916076 | Report this post

LV  
Last year

[Too early to suggest United are spending big again, clearly no evidence for that (JLA, Travers, Goulding) but not too early to suggest a team that finished 7th last season is now a legit contender!]

Vickerman- 9 seasons coaching

First season, missed playoffs.

The last 8 seasons:

3 titles
2 runner ups
2 times lost a tight deciding semi final game (and in both semi final series had a better overall +/- than the opponent over 3 games)

1 time missed playoffs by a single basket after going 15-13, but went 11-3 with their starting PG in the line up. Won 8 of their last 10 games (when they actually had their team on the floor). Clearly a top 4 team when healthy.

8 seasons in a row as a contender- "history doesn't predict future performance" nah, this isn't a financial advice disclaimer. Often it does.

They've got JLA- an All-NBL level player. CG43. Ili. Travers and Hukporti who have immense potential.

Yeah, they *should* contend.

But, the trend in the NBL over the past couple of years is an evening out of the talent spread and lots of good teams (compared to say, 2021, 2019 and some other seasons when there were only 2 or 3 teams and it was a somewhat boring wait for the playoffs). I'd expect that to continue and United to be one good team of many.

Reply #916133 | Report this post

LV  
Last year

Vickerman's record really is outstanding- since that first season going 11-17

I think he's the only NBL coach with 3 titles or more, along with Gleeson and Goorjian?

United is in good hands.

Interestingly, it's the last 2 years- when United didn't even make the Grand Final- that to me, has proven his worth just as much, if not moreso, than the championship years.

Reply #916134 | Report this post

Anonymightymouse  
Last year

Lemanis & Kerle?

Reply #916136 | Report this post

LV  
Last year

Correct- Kerle has 4. Not sure how I forgot Lemanis.

Vickerman is however, in rarified company having won titles at multiple clubs. Alongside only Kerle and Goorjian.

Reply #916142 | Report this post

LV  
Last year

Title I meant. Not "titles".

Whereas Goorjian and Kerle both won titleS at multiple clubs

Reply #916143 | Report this post

Lost In The Sky  
Last year

Teams are only allowed a total of four marquee and import players combined.

As JLA, Travers & CG43 are all marquees... Melbourne can either sign Delly and have no imports... or sign 1 import, not both.

Reply #916149 | Report this post

PyroCross  
Last year

Considering I had a question about the backup 4 spot amidst their salary cap issues, signing Kyle Bowen is ideal. Someone who can play with Travers in the 3/4 spots.

JLA | Hukporti (NS)
Travers | Bowen | Stith (?)
Goulding | Newley
Import | Cameron"

Reply #916225 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Last year

MELBOURNE UNITED

PG: Dellevedova - Ili - Duach-dp

SG: Goulding - Krebs - Cameron - Blogg-dp

SF: Import*- Newley - Stith - Triplett-dp

PF: Travers - Bowen - Machar-dp

C: Lual-Acuil - Hukporti-ns

Reply #916226 | Report this post

LV  
Last year

Did I read somewhere Stith is naturalised now?

Reply #916228 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Last year

Yes

Reply #916229 | Report this post

LV  
Last year

Newley signs

What happened to Dalton?

Weedy Slug's roster above looking spot on. With the question mark being Delly. If they can't get him, and if JLA/CG/Travers all marquees, only leaves one import spot available.

Reply #916436 | Report this post

JMS  
Last year

So if Delly doesn't sign they can have 2 imports?

As much as Delly is a great team player, I’d prefer to have some additional scoring punch with a dynamic wing (Tucker) and a solid import PG who can run the team and hit the three ball. Would be dangerous to expect Ili to start and play big minutes throughout the whole season after his head knocks.

Reply #916442 | Report this post

Anonymightymouse  
Last year

You can have 4 marquees/imports in total.

Reply #916443 | Report this post

JMS  
Last year

Got it. So either an import or Delly.

If it is Delly the lineup would be great defensively but seriously lacking outside scoring punch. If they run with a Tucker wing it adds the scoring and athleticism but puts a lot of pressure on Ili at the point.

Reply #916444 | Report this post

Anonymightymouse  
Last year

Yeah they need a scoring 1/2 I think.

Reply #916446 | Report this post

UseTaHoop  
Last year

Is CG still a marquee?

At some stage, marquee players need to be removed from that status. Whilst their salary is counted in the cap, they're competing against imports for one of those four spots. CG is approaching that stage, in my opinion.

Reply #916449 | Report this post

LV  
Last year

Teams can always pick the lowest salary of their Aussies and decide not to designate them as marquee.

It means more cap space is chewed up, but also means they can sign an extra import.

Reply #916458 | Report this post

LV  
Last year

I would hope Travers offer was structured to allow this.

Eg if it's 1.1 mil over 3 years, then 300 year 1, 350, 450.

Reply #916459 | Report this post

Diop Kick  
Last year

Is delly definitely back? Kings might like him in their locker room

Reply #916469 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:28 am, Mon 29 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754