Naph
Last year

Exum injured in Brawl

Link

Broken toe, possible tendon damage to toe. Mouth/tooth injury and some sort of finger injury reported.

Link

Pretty crazy incident in game 2 of a 5 game series.

Certainly won't help his, and Australia's, world cup plans.

Topic #51071 | Report this topic

Luuuc  
Last year

Ouch. He got slammed pretty hard.

Reply #916600 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Last year

Reply #916601 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Last year

The only thing nastier than the body slam is the unnecessary length of OP's URL.

Reply #916602 | Report this post

Diop Kick  
Last year

that sucks, he doesn't need more injuries, hes been having a good run

Reply #916606 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Last year

Jesus, what a dog act! He's been playing so well and staying healthy (as far as I recall?) to only run into a WWE wannabe!

Reply #916608 | Report this post

hoopie  
Last year

The dickhead who did it should be banned for life. Certainly more than a fine, if Euroleague had any balls.

Reply #916609 | Report this post

Melbourne Boy  
Last year

How unlucky can the bloke be injury wise?

Reply #916610 | Report this post

Young Gun  
Last year

why target Exum apart from being a great performer... he's always seemed pretty easy going & cheerful personality wise

Reply #916611 | Report this post

Bertie Bixer  
Last year

Definitely a dog act getting picked up and slammed from behind. Real Madrid definitely sore losers.

Reply #916618 | Report this post

AngusH  
Last year

They're going to get a warm welcome touching down in Serbia for the next game.

Reply #916619 | Report this post

joshuapending  
Last year

Does anyone know how long a toe tendon rupture takes to recover from? Considering what happened to him it seems he got off light, he could have had serious back injuries from that.

Reply #916620 | Report this post

dddd  
Last year

Yabusele is a unit too, listed at 117KG when playing in NBA. Dunked Dante harder than Gaze dunked on his dad. If he gets banned from Euroleague he's definitely got a future career in WWE.

Reply #916624 | Report this post

AlphabetA  
Last year

Joshua - it takes between 8 weeks and 6 months depending on the type of injury. From what I read, he sustained a tendon rupture at the upper part of the toe (initial assessment), which in their doctor's words was a positive thing (whatever that means). However they will do the scans first thing tomorrow to fully assess the extent of the injury. I'd say they are hoping that there is nothing else so he could still play strapped and with pain blockers.

The whole thing actually plays in Real's favour - Punter fell for it, I can understand emotions but he'd be better off if he walked away and simply laughed at Llull (that would really set him off) than what he did - raising his arm and inciting the brawl. Now he may get suspended, Dante may not play and who knows what will happen with Lessort - he threw Musa onto the floor. With these three out, Partizan has a serious problem. Obradovic was really pissed at his players after the game.

Reply #916630 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Last year

I am hopeful he'll be fine for the Boomers. Three months out until the cup and he was walking (although on crutches) on it.

Reply #916636 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Last year

I am hopeful he'll be fine for the Boomers. Three months out until the cup and he was walking (although on crutches) on it.

Reply #916637 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Last year

Dunked Dante harder than Gaze dunked on his dad.

I was waiting for it although I'm surprised it took so long.

Reply #916645 | Report this post

Anon  
Last year

Real Madrid and Partizan Mozzart Bet Belgrade have received a fine of €50,000 each for the unsportsmanlike conduct by both teams preventing the normal conclusion of the game in accordance with Article 29.1.a) of the Euroleague Basketball Disciplinary Code

Guershon Yabusele has been sanctioned with a 5-game suspension in accordance with Article 27.1.a) of the Euroleague Basketball Disciplinary Code
Kevin Punter has been sanctioned with a 2-game suspension in accordance with Article 27.1.a) of the Euroleague Basketball Disciplinary Code
Gabriel Deck has been sanctioned with a 1-game suspension in accordance with Article 27.1.a) of the Euroleague Basketball Disciplinary Code
Matthias Lessort has been sanctioned with a 1-game suspension in accordance with Article 27.1.a) of the Euroleague Basketball Disciplinary Code

Reply #916661 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last year

Probably the right decision all round, you can't have players running in to aggravate the situation. Exum also out hurts Partizan. This will be an absolute fiery atmosphere in the next games in Belgrade.

Reply #916662 | Report this post

KET  
Last year

5 games is pitiful.

Should be out for as long as Exum is injured!

Reply #916663 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Last year

5 games is bs

Reply #916664 | Report this post

hoopie  
Last year

Agree, 5 games is bs.

I like the idea that the dickhead is out as long as Dante is out - penalties like that might do more to reduce the dumb stuff than a tickle on the wrist like 5 games. Or a combo penalty which takes into account both the crime and its impact - 5 games or the duration the injured party is out, whichever is the greater.

It might force the clubs to take more responsibility too.

Reply #916665 | Report this post

Anon  
Last year

5 games shouldn't start until Exum is back at a minimum.

Kickert got 5 games for the brawl in Manila and this was worse

Reply #916666 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Last year

Or a combo penalty which takes into account both the crime and its impact - 5 games or the duration the injured party is out, whichever is the greater.

I've always liked that idea when injuries are involved. You put someone out of business then you stay out for at least as long as them.

That act deserves way more than 5 games IMO, but I'm not surprised that's what they landed on.

Gonna be a lot of eyes on game 3.

Reply #916667 | Report this post

Peter  
Last year

Beat me to it anon. That is the way suspensions should work when a player is injured.

His 5 weeks should start when Exum is fit to play again. Can't say when he starts as he could deliberately sit out

Reply #916671 | Report this post

KET  
Last year

The thing with this injury is, it's not caused as part of the game of basketball.

It’s so far outside playing basketball and the physicality that comes with it, that we should throw out the usual considerations for injury and punishment.

I don’t think anyone can argue that this wasn’t an intentional act either.

Whether the impact was intentional becomes irrelevant by virtue of those two aspects and the sheer negligence displayed.

There’s every justification for him to be out of the game for a long time - as long as Dante is, and absolutely ridiculous to be such a minor amount of games.

Basketball is not about spontaneous WWE!

Reply #916672 | Report this post

KET  
Last year

Sounds like Exum might be able to play game 3?

Reply #916693 | Report this post

NBLTigers  
Last year

5 games is a joke. What happened if Exum broke his spine?

I am enjoying the EuroLeague quarterfinals. Best of 5 series of home, home, away, away, home. NBL needs to do the same.

Reply #916694 | Report this post

joshuapending  
Last year

Well if he broke his spine that would have to be 8 games. This is a joke on a penalty. How they can sit there and justify it is beyond me.

Reply #916697 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Last year

It's no surprise where EuroLeague headquarters are located.

Reply #916708 | Report this post

larrycucumber2  
Last year

Why isn't Yabusele suspended from World Cup as well because Dante might miss that too?
Typical FIBA always looking after Europeans

Reply #916719 | Report this post

KET  
Last year

I think Exum's injury isn’t as bad as first thought, might even be able to make a return to the series vs Real Madrid

Reply #916720 | Report this post

AlphabetA  
Last year

Euroleague is not sanctioned by FIBA, basically almost the same status as NBA, which is one of the problems when it comes to qualifications for WC/OG as they don't allow their players to play for the NT. So what happened in Madrid is not of any concern to FIBA.

Reply #916721 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Last year

EuroLeague is a private company.

They're headquartered in Spain hence the joke.

Reply #916738 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last year

Exum played over 20 minutes. Partizan led by heaps and got run down.

Reply #916869 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Last year

It certainly drew in the punters - there were 20,000 of them to say this season's attendance record.

Reply #916870 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Last year

to set this*

Reply #916871 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last year

Another twenty plus over night, played well compared to his team, the throw hasn't hurt him. Back to two all though with the decider in Madrid.

Reply #916941 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Last year

Very glad he is ok.

Weird series with the home team going 0-4 so far. Hopefully that trend continues in the decider.

Reply #916945 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last year

Another good game from Exum didn't help his team, after leading two nil, lost three in a row.

Reply #917192 | Report this post

Isaac  
Last year

What's the best site for boxscores from Euro games these days?

I've always liked that idea when injuries are involved. You put someone out of business then you stay out for at least as long as them.
Trae Young would be out of the league!

Reply #917194 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last year

Euroleague Basketball, it's all there. Very easy to follow even for poor computer spuds like me.

Reply #917199 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Last year

He said something about ABA season, do they play that now or is he on rest right through to world cup warm ups?

Reply #917200 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last year

Finals in aba till team knocked out or win it.

Reply #917201 | Report this post

Isaac  
Last year

Dunkman, thanks. Hadn't looked in a while. Way back, it used to be Eurobasket which was pretty flakey.

Reply #917220 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last year

From being two nil down at home, Madrid have come back to win the title, beat Olympiacos over night by one. Trailed by four at 3/4 time. Monaco third and Barcelona fourth.

Reply #917640 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Last year

At least Yabusele's ban meant he missed the final.

Reply #917662 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:40 pm, Fri 3 May 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754