Isaac
Last year

Joel Embiid named NBA 2022-23 MVP

Seemed like that late season surge was enough to influence the vote and get him over Jokic.

You knew it would be Embiid as soon as he was injured for the last game while Jokic carried the Nuggets to that second Suns win.

Topic #51084 | Report this topic

LV  
Last year

Interesting he got such a high proportion of 1st place votes

Wonder if they spread it out by design in a situation like this, as the other two contenders already have 2 MVps each

Those 3 are all the same age- 28/29. Could easily win another 1 or 2 each over the next 3 or 4 years.

Reply #916873 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last year

Well deserved imo.

Reply #916875 | Report this post

LV  
Last year

Jokic vs Embiid in Finals would be a great matchup, reminiscent of the Hakeem vs Ewing, Hakeem vs Shaq battles of the 90's. And Hakeem vs The Admiral in the Conference finals

Reply #916876 | Report this post

Isaac  
Last year

What seemed like a tight race throughout much of the season ended as a blowout, with Embiid garnering 73 of the 100 available first-place votes (915 total). Jokic had 15 first-place votes (674 total), while Antetokounmpo captured 12 (606). Boston Celtics forward Jayson Tatum finished fourth, and Oklahoma City Thunder guard Shai Gilgeous-Alexander was fifth.

"I don't even know where to start," Embiid said during an interview on "Inside the NBA" after winning the award. "It's been a long time coming, a lot of hard work. I've been through a lot, and I'm not just talking about basketball ... it feels good. I don't know what to say. It's amazing."
I would've gone with Jokic, but Embiid is also a great option this season.

Reply #916877 | Report this post

LV  
Last year

It's definitely better for marketing and hype to have two MVP's matching up in the Finals (which is now a serious possibility) and just to have more MVPs running around generally

I'm not saying Embiid didnt deserve it, just interesting the result was so lopsided given the other two guys also had great seasons on successful teams

Reply #916878 | Report this post

Big Fudge  
Last year

Feels like the MVP is persuaded these days by media articles and player tweets... Jokic was my pick but Embiid had a great season none the less. Hope they match up in finals would be a great series to watch.

Reply #916879 | Report this post

curtley  
Last year

Nuggets won one less game, Jokic was 2nd in Rebounds and 3rd in assists arguably with a worse supporting cast.

Embiid's stats were also arguably better last year. It's a case of not wanting a guy whose name isn't Steph Curry or Lebron to win three consecutive MVPS in this era.

Reply #916881 | Report this post

LV  
Last year

Yeah Jokic wins the advanced stats, and played a few extra games

This current era is reminiscent of the mid 90's when several of the strong MVP candidates were big guys every year

1993- Hakeem, Ewing, The Admiral, Shaq all top 7 (Barkley won)
1994- Hakeem won, the Admiral 2nd, Shaq 4th, Ewing 5th
1995- The Admiral won, Shaq 2nd, Ewing 4th, Hakeem 5th (Malone 3rd and Barkley 6th)

Reply #916882 | Report this post

Butts  
Last year

Big Fudge...it's literally voted on by the media

Reply #916889 | Report this post

Big Fudge  
Last year

Butts, sorry what I mean is the way in which they vote, always see things popup on my social media like "Embiid scored 27 points vs Celtics, but on that same day Jokic only scored 20 points against the Rocket, so that must mean Embiid is the MVP"

Reply #916891 | Report this post

Cram  
Last year

its definitely a narrative driven award. Very different from game by game awards voted on in most Australian leagues. And voter fatigue is clearly a thing. LeBron probably should have won more MVPs than he did during his prime, but people like the narrative of a young D Rose etc.

Embiid is clearly an MVP level player so, I've got no problem with it, but Jokic is on another level for mine.

Reply #916893 | Report this post

JB  
Last year

Jokic is great, but (rightly or wrongly) he's seen as not great enough to win 3 MVP in a row. So an easy decision in the end when there was another deserving candidate who had not won a MVP yet.
I understand previous years should not in theory impact on this year’s MVP, but it just does.
Keeping this season exactly the same, Jokic would have won MVP if Embiid was the double-MVP already.

Reply #916901 | Report this post

Isaac  
Last year

The award really mattered to Embiid while Jokic could barely care, so maybe there's a positive in that. Like someone said, it's not like Embiid didn't have a strong case - there were three, maybe four, decent options.

Apparently one ballot didn't even have Jokic top five. That is a bit much...

Reply #916903 | Report this post

Diop Kick  
Last year

It reminds me of Malones first mvp, the media get sick of giving it to the same guy

Reply #916919 | Report this post

Big Fudge  
Last year

And all these reasons are why the MVP doesn't mean much to many players.

Reply #916921 | Report this post

Art Pepper  
Last year

Guy put on an obama racist identity politics campaign to threaten and intimidate voters from going for Jokic.

Reply #917056 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Last year

Hopefully his vocal tone gets a little pep up from winning MVP because he's so annoyingly monotone.

Reply #917093 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:39 am, Sun 28 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754