hoopie
Last year

Ben Simmons playing in the World Cup?

Ch 9 news just showed a clip of a Ben Simmons with the commentary that Goorjian has said that Simmons plans to suit up in the World Cup.

Another case of this generation's sense of entitlement?

Maybe he should have put in the hard yards in the program first.

Personally, I hope it doesn’t happen - his strengths don’t outweigh his weaknesses.

Topic #51088 | Report this topic

Weedy Slug  
Last year

I hope he makes it but we have some options.
Top 20 camp maybe?

Giddey / Exum / Dellevedova / Mcdowell-White
Mills / Green / Goulding / Vasljevic
Thybulle / Ingles / Daniels / White
Simmons / Cooks / Kay / Pinder
Landale / Reath / Maker / Baynes

Reply #916949 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last year

Heard it all before, the team will have enough players that has played minimum minutes, we don't need another one.

Reply #916950 | Report this post

Crackers65  
Last year

Believe it when I see it. Would be very lucky to make the team.

Reply #916951 | Report this post

Observer  
Last year

Put his hand up ,then pull out later,as in past .

Reply #916952 | Report this post

KET  
Last year

So this is pretty much expected speculation with nothing of notable substance. Goorj would be honest, and that would be an honest take of it all.

At the same time, as it draws near where it comes to actually properly having to make a decision, he will defer til Paris 2024 IMO.

I think part will be physical health, part will be the mental side too.

And that's fine.

But let’s say he does end up committing...

He gets included by virtue of a relatively weak set of bigs and the fact he’s one of the best defenders in the world capable of defending the best in the world and why would you not take that?

Let’s say they face USA and Durant or whatever. You want Simmons taking that assignment.

Ofcourse that means Ingles would have to start, you don’t want Giddey plus Thybulle if he plays plus Simmons on the court at the same time. Too much non-shooting.

Reply #916953 | Report this post

Ben  
Last year

They're not lights out, but both Giddey and Thybulle showed they can hit a three ball this season KET.

Personally hope flog Simmons gets nowhere near our Boomers.

Reply #916954 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Last year

Giddey-Exum
Mills-Ingles-Goulding
Green-Thybulle
Simmons-Cooks-? (Kay/Pinder/White)
Landale-? (Reath/Baynes/Maker)

Reserves
Dellevedova
Daniels
Bigs not selected above

Reply #916955 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Last year

Maybe you start Simmons at centre.

Reply #916956 | Report this post

hoopie  
Last year

As soon as Simmons steps onto the court, he'll be manhandled all over the place until he proves he can shoot foul shots. If he isn’t injured at the start of the campaign he certainly will be by the end.

Sure, he can defend, but if he’s being knocked about wherever he goes, I think it will get inside his head. In other words, he will be of limited use during the long campaign.

Reply #916957 | Report this post

KWhite_Rulez  
Last year

The boy who cried wolf. No way he is playing.

Reply #916961 | Report this post

Big Ads  
Last year

If it is "red pill" Simmons then I am all in on the idea, but if it is "blue pill" Simmons then stop with the same old narrative.

Reply #916963 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Last year

Ben is always going to do what is right by Ben. At this point he needs to do something to rebuild his career. I think the Boomers is a great platform for that, and also for potentially rebuilding his brand. It would make more sense for him now more than ever to play.

I also think we need to consder that he's changed management. I forget the name but the management he had was renown from holding players back from playing for national teams. Ben needs to create good will around his name and prove he can be a winner. Winning a world cup - or medalling - would go a ways to helping that.

But when it comes down to it, we wont know if he's playing until he's on the court. He's been an enigma since the start. There's a lot of tbhings about Ben that I flat out dislike but I think if the most 'gifted' player we've ever had puts his hand up, with a genuine desire to play, then omly an idiot would deny him.

We're not flush with big men so if he's able to play that role then the team would be that much better for it.

I saw a projected line up on the telegraph that I actually like:

Patty Mills
Josh Giddey
Joe Ingles
Nick Kay
Jock Landale
Josh Green
Dyson Daniels
Matisse Thybulle
Dante Exum
Jack White
Xavier Cooks
Ben Simmons

Reply #916964 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Last year

They just listed those who are playing at the highest level. Hardly any shooters on that list. Just 3/12.

An elite defensive team, Simmons and Kay playing centre + Landale according to them.

Reply #916965 | Report this post

hoopie  
Last year

That's a very athletic team, ME, great for a running game but not for a grind-it-out one like the Euros typically do.

Dyson is probably not ready yet and should be replaced by a big strong body to counter the 7-footers across the various teams. Kay, White, Cooks and Simmons would struggle to stop them, and we can’t put it all on Jock’s shoulders.

Reply #916966 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Last year

Whatever team is selected I trust Goorjian to figure it out. We definitely have the talent to do something at the cup, and with Simmons - even Simmons-lite - IF he is able to fix his attitude, we become even more dangerous.

I think we're a bit of a match up nightmare for a lot of Euro teams. We have the athleticism now to really push them out of their games but the skill to also play it their way.

Reply #916967 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Last year

The new Herald Sun article kind of dampens expectations with Ben merely saying he's rehabbing and would like to play for the Boomers in future. It definitely isn't as strong an indication as we'd like. But at the same time, and as the article states, it makes sense why he would not give a definite answer given how many times that's got him in hot water.

----

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/basketball/australian-basketball-star-ben-simmons-confirms-he-wants-to-play-for-the-boomers/news-story/0da7e463d8927f62dd56b4fa0eda2a58

Don't miss out on the headlines from Basketball. Followed categories will be added to My News.

Follow
Ben Simmons has confirmed he still wants to be a Boomer.

A day after national coach Brian Goorjian revealed the polarising Aussie NBA star was working toward a shock appearance in August's FIBA World Cup, Simmons said he wants to wear the green and gold and be part of the famed Boomers culture.

"I’m currently rehabilitating my back injury and putting my full effort and focus towards that," Simmons said.

“I love what coach Goorjian is building with the Boomers and I look forward to being a part of the program in the future.”

That’s not definitive proof he’ll play in August’s World Cup — and that’s smart from the three-time NBA All Star because a lot has to go right for him to be a part of the Aussies’ campaign.

It’s understood he won’t be named in the initial Boomers squad but will be given every opportunity by Goorjian to prove his health and commitment.

The 208cm Melbourne-born guard is still dealing with the effects of residual nerve issues in his back, stemming from an operation in May last year to fix a herniated disc — a surgery that can take up to 18 months for full recovery.

Ben Simmons is keen to return to the Boomers program. Picture: Getty Images
Ben Simmons is keen to return to the Boomers program. Picture: Getty Images
Simmons, who ruled himself out of the Boomers’ groundbreaking Tokyo Olympic bronze medal campaign, is understood to be working hard on getting back on the court, but the Aussies enter training camp in late July, and that means time is not on his side.

If the son of Melbourne Tigers’ legend Dave Simmons was to declare himself fit and available, Goorjian would have no issue adding him as a late entrant to the Cairns camp.

But he would be thrown straight into the fire of the most-talented group of Australian players ever assembled in one place — 18 mostly-NBA players, including Josh Giddey and Dyson Daniels, all hellbent on being part of the 12-man squad that’s on the floor in Okinawa, Japan when their World Cup campaign tips off against Finland on Friday, August 25.

The former NBA Rookie of the Year’s litany of issues in Philadelphia are well-documented and, after last season’s tumultuous new start in Brooklyn (6.9 points, 6.3 rebounds and 6.1 assists), which ended with him away from the team after 42 games, he parted with long-time agency Klutch Sports.

Now represented by power agent Bernie Lee, a rehabilitation of body and image is under way and many in Aussie basketball believe the best way to sway public sentiment is to absorb the atmosphere created by the likes of Joe Ingles, Patty Mills and Matthew Dellavedova and fostered by Goorjian.

More Coverage
Boomer Ben: Why time is finally right for Simmons
LeBron takes first blood in battle of NBA superstars
Fans turn on NBA superstar after playoffs stinker
Many Aussie fans reacted poorly to the news Simmons was still in the national team frame — and they have good reason, he’s often been his own worst enemy. But there are still plenty of believers and, should he lock in on the Boomers — and contribute to — national success, the naysayers would quickly change their tune.

Here’s hoping.

Reply #916972 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Last year

This will liekly be unpopular but Simmons has turned his back on the Boomers a few times now.

Even if fit and healthy I don't want him back as he is just using the Boomers to increase his stock.

Reply #916974 | Report this post

rjd  
Last year

"I look forward to being a part of the program in the future."

Not exactly indicative of someone with a burning desire to play in the world's toughest international basketball tournament. To me, comes across more as PR than passion.

Reply #916975 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Last year

If he wants to attend some Boomers camps once he's healthy then I'm all for that. I'd still like to think that being in that environment would be a positive for him.

But his words ceased to have value quite a while ago.
Get back to me when his actions indicate any type of change in his attitude.

Reply #916977 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Last year

I think if Goorjian is saying he expects that he'll be there, that he's at least reasonably hopeful and has the indication that that is the way it is trending. I can't see Goorj speaking out of turn on it. I think Ben dampens expectations for he abovementioned reasons. I think it's trending towards him playing but it IS Ben Simmons and until we see him on court, we wont know. But there are a lot of positives for his career if he does do it. It makes more sense for him to throw the jersey on now than it has before. And surely if he's fit and healthy and declines again it wont help him.

Reply #916978 | Report this post

Cake  
Last year

ME, I usually agree with your basketball opinions, but not "if the most 'gifted' player we've ever had puts his hand up, with a genuine desire to play, then only an idiot would deny him." Or, I agree with that, but I disagree that it's applicable to Simmons. I buy that he's the most gifted player we've ever had, but I can't buy that he'd be there with a genuine desire to play. The Opals with and without Cambage made it very clear how much the most talented player can get in your way if their attitude is wrong. And as unlikeable as Cambage is, she's also unquestionably a more effective basketball player than Simmons has shown himself to be in the last 4 years.

It does make sense for him, personally, to use the Boomers to try and repair his reputation. If there's a willingness to sacrifice to be a part of the program in order to get that benefit, fine. He comes off the bench and plays his tail off at the defensive end. His job is to make the opposing team's #1 option want to cry. If he doesn't want to do that, let him go back to drinks with little umbrellas and two week relationships with reality tv stars.

Reply #916980 | Report this post

Hooper4life  
Last year

I agree Cake, I have a real fear that he wouldn't want to buy into the role he would be most effective at international level with.

We saw with Bolden and Kay that sometimes taking the less talented player who is willing to buy into the system reaps much greater rewards than taking the more talented or highly credentialed option.

Reply #917003 | Report this post

Cram  
Last year

Well, he's not in the 18 man squad so that looks like an end to that.

Reply #917004 | Report this post

AngusH  
Last year

Not in the squad because of his current injury, but a chance to be added at a later date.

Reply #917006 | Report this post

BG  
Last year

I don't think he'll get added. I would have thought you’d be included in the squad anyway and then just not selected or withdrawn at a later date if you can’t get up for it with injury, especially since there’s still a few months until the final squad gets named.

By not even being named in the squad it saves him more bad press at a later date by pulling out if he just cbf playing like usual.

Reply #917009 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:47 am, Tue 30 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754