Groote
Last year

NBL1 West: May, June & July

Can anyone stop the Flames title defense in the Men's following Walker's 50 piece last weekend? Who are the real contenders, and who are just pretenders?

Will reality set in to the League leading Cougars girls now with double headers ahead and only five games played, that undefeated record at risk with tougher games at the back end of those double headers. Will the Parker injury derail the Wolves title aspirations? Rockingham on a four game winning streak and likely to make it five after beating the underachieving Redbacks this weekend - should the r at of the League be worried now the Flames are at full strength?

Topic #51092 | Report this topic

Footloose  
Last year

Am intrigued Groote! Looking forward to the answers in the coming weeks. I'll add another one, have the Lynx locked in Steph Gorman for the upcoming WNBL season yet? And if not, why not??

Reply #917104 | Report this post

wildcat  
Last year

No one will be good enough to beat Flames men

Reply #917164 | Report this post

koberulz  
Last year

What's the deal with that Rocko-Mandurah game? Box score said 47 the next morning, someone said he had 51, now the box score has him at 50 exactly.

Reply #917169 | Report this post

Bored  
Last year

They were probably in the process of reviewing the game stats and updating from the live stream.

Reply #917211 | Report this post

McBlurter  
Last year

At the game, it was 51 games on the board.

TBH, when he went from 48 to 51, I was certain he was well within 2 point territory. I'm not surprised this may have been reviewed and taken from 51 to 50.

No one seems to be able to explain 47?. He did change his jersey from '15' to '1' this season, maybe someone unfamiliar with '1' thought it had to be Combs? Combs wears 7, maybe the confusion there.

But he did jack up 50.

Reply #917235 | Report this post

Knowall  
Last year

Perth Women get new player and get worse. Oh dear

Reply #917277 | Report this post

Anon  
Last year

you could have all the talent in the world but still won't get W's if you can't coach. hope that proves a lot to the Perth administration. which restricted player they sending home now then? Bet there is someone laughing all the way down roe hwy *cough* Jakens *cough*

Reply #917281 | Report this post

Bohemian Rhap  
Last year

And they're heading back home next Friday against the undefeated Cougars. Very big oh dear.

Reply #917283 | Report this post

Groote  
Last year

One struggles to see how Fletcher sees out the season given Perth's current form. If they get embarrassed by 50 odd on their home court next weekend to our Cougar women, would it be too bold to say she may not make it past next weekend? Edwards will nullify Scherf, ditto Williams on Pirini. Mortensen could have a field day.

I was down at Rockingham last night watching the men's game and aside from the game which was almost over as quickly as it began such was Perth's domination and the Flames terrible shooting from the field, to see the crowd they're pulling in down there should be the envy of the League, in particular the metro clubs. Both stands full, both bars full, plenty of juniors wanting selfies and autographs post game with players more than happy to do so. Great to see the connection between their players and supporters down there when they could have very well just walked straight off given the result. Speaking of the year result, does Tevin Jackson deserve another crack in the NBL? Almost a poor man's Keanu Pinder with how he plays but definitely has the body to adjust to that next level I think

Reply #917285 | Report this post

JT  
Last year

The Redbacks men did play well last night and executed their defensive game plan well. Well coached also. Almost all of Rockingham's shots were contested which impacts shooting percentages.

Rockingham’s players and coaching staff simply did not recognise the defensive rotations and as such had no solution. That was only relevant to last night however.

That will only work once though. Once they view the footage they will close that loophole. It’s a pretty basic concept.

Reply #917290 | Report this post

Bored  
Last year

Blown away by the comparison of Tevin to Pinder.. just wow

Reply #917296 | Report this post

forwhatitsworth  
Last year

The Pinder Jackson comparison stops at both being 6'8 / 6’9 and athletic
Could not be more apart as players
Tevin plays as a guard, pinder is centre /pf

Tevins stats are pretty ordinary at nbl1 level if looking to get nbl gig, 15.2pts at only 39%, 3.9 reb and 1.9 ass per game

Don’t think nbl is on the cards at 29 yrs old, the are a few younger guards performing much better in nbl1 west

Reply #917306 | Report this post

forwhatitsworth  
Last year

The Pinder Jackson comparison stops at both being 6'8 / 6’9 and athletic
Could not be more apart as players
Tevin plays as a guard, pinder is centre /pf

Tevins stats are pretty ordinary at nbl1 level if looking to get nbl gig, 15.2pts at only 39%, 3.9 reb and 1.9 ass per game

Don’t think nbl is on the cards at 29 yrs old, the are a few younger guards performing much better in nbl1 west

Reply #917307 | Report this post

radar  
Last year

one of the best passes every scene on saturday night according to darren russell and travis young who where commentating this game flames vs redbacks
i could not agree more WOW.
go watch the highlights late in the 4th quarter voekel behind the back pass to hobbs..

Reply #917329 | Report this post

Bored  
Last year

I doubt Tevin is interested in pushing back to the NBL at his age.

The more interesting thing out of that game is the defending champs only scoring 3 points in the fourth quarter.

Reply #917331 | Report this post

Boomer  
Last year

Mens Power Rankings - Round 7

1. Hawks. 9-2. Up one. Took care of business Friday night against Lakeside and played a fresh Senators team on Saturday away going down by about 20. Not a fan of the double header teams playing single fixtured teams on the back end of a double.
2. Flames. 8-1. Down one. Got belted by Redbacks who havent been in great form. Im sure they werent expecting a combined 19 points between Walker and Nelson. Shot terrible %'s. Shame to have such a poor performance on the night the Flames celebrating Godfrey's 300th game.
3. Buccaneers. 6-3. Up two. Took down a tough Tigers outfit with ease.
4. Eastern Suns. 6-3. Up two. Easily handled Magic. Getting a little streak together.
5. Wolves 7-4. Down two. Rough performance out in Kal. Its always a tough place to win but they wouldnt have expected to drop that one with the form they were in and the way they handled them at home a few weeks back.
6. Senators. 5-3. Up one. Granted they were playing a team on the back end of a double, they were still playing the Hawks who are 2nd on the ladder.
7. Perth Redbacks. 5-3. Up one. I put out the challenge that they would need to beat a top 5 side before Id move them up the power rankings. That they did. Big scalp in the Flames, in Rocko, by a huge margin.
8. Tigers 6-3. Down four. Would have expected a closer matchup. These next 2-3 weeks will determine if they are top 5 team or more a 9th-6th type team.
9. Cougars. 2-6. Unchanged. Slammers.
10. Lightning. 3-6. Unchanged. Put up a decent fight against Hawks. This isnt going to be their year.
11. Eagles. 1-8. Unchanged. Slammers.
12. Goldfields. Unchanged. Good win at home against an in form Wolves. Just need to see if they can get some consistency before I move them up.
13. Magic. 0-7. Unchanged.
14. Slammers. 1.8. Unchanged.

Reply #917333 | Report this post

JT  
Last year

Interesting power rankings, well compiled. I saw the Suns Magic game and observed with interest how good the Sujs were defensively. Granted they did that against a team that is struggling to find cohesiveness and flow ist this point of the season.

From what I see not all in that Magic team have bought into the team concept and the coach's plan. That’s the biggest issue right there! For a couple of players it seems offense is all about showcasing their individual talents and defence is all about exeondib just enough effort to cover their ass and not be noticed.

Is there things Utley can change? Absolutely! But it’s way deeper than that. No doubt a lingering after effect of recent history off the court within the club. Anyone pouting at their finger at Mark are irrelevant. The roster was completely overhauled.. again!!

Hopefully they can achieve some continuity going forward with their coaching staff and core players staying together for a few seasons and I have no doubt some positive things happen.

Reply #917339 | Report this post

JT  
Last year

Also to state Tevin Jackson's stats are ordinary as a way of summing up his abilities is a poor and simplistic way of lacking insight. You saw the game against the Flames I assume? Did you see who he defended? Did you see how many points short of their average that player scored?

Show me that in his stat line?

Look I love Tevin’s game and rate him highly. But let’s be honest, even being in the top 20% of players in this league he isn’t going to the NBL. Basketball at this level means he works a full time job, trains twice a week with his team and how long does he get to put up the repitition of shooting practice and other skills?
In the NBL as professionals they easily get maybe 100x the amount of regular shots up than NBL1 players would: Don’t diss him for shooting 39.4%

Whoever compared him to Pinder must have been smoki by some good shit is all I can say Hahha

Reply #917342 | Report this post

Bohemian Rhap  
Last year

Where's Woj? Missing his write ups

Reply #917352 | Report this post

Woj Bomb  
Last year

NBL1 Women Power Ranking
1 Cockburn Cougars 6-0
This team is absolutely destroying teams at the moment, big scalp last week against Wolves though was missing Williams. Gorman continues to impress and will have 5 legit 20p scorers with the addition of Brossmann which must be soon. Is there any weakness? Will feast on Redbacks and Eagles this week.

2. Joondalup Wolves 9-1
Hit the mid season mark already and just like last season continue to roll through the league. Morrell and Ryan the two best players in their respective positions. Real test this week with Warwick. Do they have the bench to cover injuries. Klastourney the key to giving them a 4th scoring option.

2 Willetton Tigers 6-2
Bye last week before that smashing the Eagles. Sammy is gone but import big Brcaninovic starting to become dominant dropping 28 with 5 3's on the eagles. Do they have the depth of guard play to be a contender? Sharp pushing for MVP talk. Play Magic this week which will tell a lot about this team.

3 Perry Lakes Hawks 7-3
Got a big win over Warwick on the buzzer at home in an epic game last week. Warwick hitting the shot as time just expired. Isenberger in a season break out game with 25p on 6/9 from deep the difference. The team still has a restricted spot will the club go all in this year if they are in the mix come round 13. Suns at home this week see Roscoe v Grant/Dennis in a former U18 State show down.

4 Mandurah Magic 4-2
A huge stumble dropping a home opener to the winless Perth Redbacks and could haunt them in the back in of the season. Kat Tudor is starting to find her way in the offense and was dominant on both ends v Suns with 28p 10 rebs in a 40p blow out. Tudor and Toeaina are the two best 2 way wings in the league. 6’2 Big Hannah Hank joins the team after a great ACC tournament for Clemson. Sam Richards starting to provide good minutes off the bench.

5 Rockingham Flames 5-3
This team is finally whole and showing its potential with 3 big wins in a row. The Flames dominated a Lauren Scherf led Redbacks by 52. Kraker is all class and the clear leader of this group. She wants to make big plays. The depth of this team is undeniable with Boag and Evans able to provide impact. Bye this week.

6 Warwick Senators 4-3
The defending champs are taking some time to get back into the groove of this season. Barr has not been like 2022 as she is coming back through the bench. Murphy is a good pick up, doing the work that is needed. They just lack the imposing dominance they had last year. Word is they are still holding hope of a Fiebich return... Wolves this week.

7 Eastern Suns 3-5
Got pounded at home by 40 v Magic. Chou returns to the team and they surely missed her scoring punch, this team will get better now they have a full roster. Roscoe is in great form. Need more out of Dyer, can she put up numbers v good teams. Hawks this week.

8 East Perth Eagles 3-6
The lost of Lubke with concussion must be a huge issue, the poor girl hit it hard v hawks and the team is at a loss big time with her missing. There is no interior scoring presence to allow their shooters time and space. A win v Slammers arresting a 4 game slide. Giants this week is a win.

9 Lakeside Lightning 3-7
Battling along. Just don’t have the scoring depth or size to go with teams. 44p total v hawks. If Jones cant hit 25p they are not competitive.
10 Goldfields Giants 2-6
Again just hit with huge injury issues losing import Wayment and Berry to long term injuries. Two starters out on a team with low depth is going to make this a long season. Turnor-McCarty are great pick up.

11 Perth Redbacks 1-7
Picked up their first win on the road v Magic but then got pumped at home. Scherf is a huge addition (literally) but it seams like they have sent home the wrong import in Payne. Unless its injury related. They started two 6’4 bigs in Daniela and Scherf. Team is unbalanced and Baliey has fallen right out of the rotation. Changes coming.

12 South West Slammers 0-8
Keep going young ones, not your fault the club wont spend on the women’s program.

Reply #917387 | Report this post

koberulz  
Last year

Redbacks haven't sent anyone home as of yet.

Reply #917388 | Report this post

radar  
Last year

regarding the redbacks womens coach being sacked ?, they have a championship winning coach sitting right alongside her in darren austin i would think he has a fair bit of input as well. the guy can coach . give him the reigns

Reply #917407 | Report this post

Shammgodd  
Last year

Asking for a friend

What if I was hypothetically an nbl1 west club who signed a whole heap of players who can't play and I thought I'd never need the roster spots but now I have no players because they are all injured and I had to put an injured player in to close out a game because 2 of my 6 healthy players fouled out.

Am I totally screwed or can I release them and go find other players?

Reply #917633 | Report this post

An1234  
Last year

Pretty sure you can sign 18 players and rotate them in and out as you like. It's only after 18 you have to release some

Reply #917634 | Report this post

Anon  
Last year

"Shammgodd
Yesterday

Asking for a friend

What if I was hypothetically an nbl1 west club who signed a whole heap of players who can't play and I thought I'd never need the roster spots but now I have no players because they are all injured and I had to put an injured player in to close out a game because 2 of my 6 healthy players fouled out.

Am I totally screwed or can I release them and go find other players?"

Not screwed but trying their hardest to make the most of the situation. 2 imports (1 has gone home, 1 is on a different visa so a little more complicatied) NZ Guard has gone home. Would normally have 3 other players available but due to concussion 1 was not available and 2 of the younger development players were unavailable due to being out of state or had state commitments. Whilst not ideal they are on the brink of replacing one of the imports with a handy Aussie.

Reply #917644 | Report this post

koberulz  
Last year

Who are we talking about?

Reply #917645 | Report this post

Bored  
Last year

Sounds like Kal women

Reply #917646 | Report this post

Bohemian Rhap  
Last year

Woj and Boomer - ready when you are

Reply #917647 | Report this post

Bohemian Rhap  
Last year

With the half way point nearly here it's interesting to see with the uneven fixture who has the harder run home from here.

1. Cougars (8-0)
Games against top eight: 7/12 (58%)

2. Wolves (10-1)
Games against top eight: 6/9 (67%)

3. Magic (6-2)
Games against top eight: 9/12 (75%)

4. Hawks (8-3)
Games against top eight: 5/9 (55%)

5. Tigers (7-3)
Games against top eight: 5/10 (50%)

6. Flames (5-3)
Games against top eight: 6/12 (50%)

7. Senators (4-4)
Games against top eight: 8/12 (67%)

8. Eagles (4-7)
Games against top eight: 4/9 (44%)

9. Lightning (4-8)
Games against top eight: 6/8 (75%)

10. Suns (3-6)
Games against top eight: 8/11 (73%)

11. Goldfields (2-8)
Games against top eight: 6/10 (60%)

12. Redbacks (1-8)
Games against top eight: 7/11 (64%)

13. Slammers (0-9)

MEN

1. Perry Lakes (10-2)
Games against top eight: 7/10 (70%)

2. Flames (8-2)

3. Tigers (8-3)
Games against top eight: 5/11 (45%)

4. Buccs (7-3)

5. Redbacks (7-3)

6. Wolves (8-4)

7. Suns (6-4)

8. Senators (5-4)
Games against top eight: 7/13 (54%)

9. Lightning (5-7)

10. Giants (4-6)

11. Cougars (3-7)

12. Slammers (1-9)
Games against top eight: 8/12 (67%)

13. Eagles (1-10)

14. Magic (0-9)
Games against top eight: 6/13 (46%)

Reply #917654 | Report this post

Boomer  
Last year

Mens Power Rankings - Round 8

1. Hawks. 10-2. Unchanged. Took care of an in-form Suns team in fairly methodical fashion. As would be expected of the Spurs of the NBL1 West. They look good when they have a single game weekend on a Saturday night on their home floor.
2. Buccaneers. 7-3. Up one. Clutch victory up in home territory against a Flames team trying to bounce back from their hiding the week before. Bryce Cotton and Damian Martin looking on in the stands for this one. The tale in this game was Liam Hunt putting up 26pts 13rb including 6OR. Hes looking in the best shape since his injury. Marshall Nelson going 1-11 from 3 is uncharacteristic and didnt help the Flames cause.
3. Wolves. 8-4. Up two. It was just their emphatic win on the weekend, but who it was against. They destroyed the Senators. The Senators were only in it for 1 quarter and then folded. No Elliott or Ellis for the Senators but people forget that the Wolves are down Wade also. Being a derby game, played on the Senators home floor, the Wolves would have relished in this 30 point drubbing.
4. Flames. 8-2. Down two. Two losses in a row wouldn't have been expected but they at least took this one down to the wire and made a game of it. Interestingly Nelson is currently 33rd in the League in PPG with a 14.44ppg average. A far cry from the approximate 26/27ppg he had on the season last year. Its been a month since he scored 20pts in a game and is shooting 37% from field and 26% from 3. Why am I honing in so much on Nelson? He was a big reason the Flames won the NBL1 West Championship in 2022 and the National Championship. Without him being that elite guy, there is a chink in the armour.
5. Redbacks. 7-3. Up three. This team is starting to click! Behind big games from Hobbs, Jackson and Voelkel. Voelkel is just racking up stats everywhere and is so selfless. The West Coast Eagles could do with a Voelkel right now! Timms coming off the bench has been a surprise but its working so go with it.
6. Tigers. 8-3. Up two. Got out of jail in OT against the Magic who were seeking their first win. Ugly win, but a win nonetheless. Cruised in for another victory on the Sunday against a Giants outfit struggling for consistency. Youd imagine they will be doing some work on how they defend high on balls after seeing the clip of Abrom doing the rounds on the social media on repeat all weekend.
7. Suns. 6-4. Down three. Whilst they went down this week to a tough Hawks team they showed they can mix it with those top teams. Cook-Green was cooking in this game on the weekend. Hes now in the top 5 scorers in the League and finding his groove with this team. The Hawks shot the lights out against the Suns so a bit of work to do there defensively.
8. Senators. 5-4. Down two. Undermanned but still plenty of firepower in their roster to put up more of a fight against their north of the river rivals. Would be disappointed to cop the pasting they did in front of their home crowd. Season defining game against Tigers this weekend. Both teams trying to prove they are contenders. Lose this one and Senators sitting at .500 at the halfway mark in the season is massively underachieving for their roster. Need Elliott back ASAP.
9. Cougars. 3-7. Unchanged. Put up a good fight against Redbacks but went down. Gave the wayward Eagles a shalaking on Sunday, but so they should. Still need to prove they can beat some top 8 teams, especially on their home court.
10. Lightning. 5-7. Unchanged. Played a winless Mandurah and cruised into a 10 point win, followed by a 13 point win against a team that isnt NBL1 standard. Yes, they got 2 wins on the weekend but they need to start to beat the better competition to warrant moving up in my view.
11. Goldfields. 4-6. Up one. Beat the Eagles in unimpressive fashion. Went down to Tigers the following day. The roster this team has and their form being so unpredictable they are underachieving by a long way.
12. Eagles. 1-10. Down one. Lost to inconsistent Goldfields then got absolutely destroyed by Cockburn. Another team that were expected to do much better with the roster they have. On paper they have a playoff level starting 5. Cant get it to translate at all.
13. Magic. 0-9. Unchanged. Oh so close in taking down the Tigers. Lost to an underperforming lakeside by double digits.
14. Slammers. 1.9. Unchanged. How this team cant put a legitimate NBL1 calibre team on the floor is beyond me. As far as places to live go you cant even compare it to a place like kalgoorlie. beautiful beaches, not far from perth, heaps of job opportunities down there, produce some pretty talented juniors but just cant keep them? England gone, Hill gone, Craig gone, Vogel gone, Rickwood Pitt before going to college also left. Have a bunch of kids in college. Seeing Worthington playing for Tigers at 40 years old probably hurts a bit too.

Reply #917668 | Report this post

forwhatitsworth  
Last year

Boomer you say the same thing about hawks evey week. You realize Spurs finished last in nba?

Reply #917673 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Last year

I assumed without even thinking about it that he was referring to the historical Spurs.

Reply #917681 | Report this post

Bored  
Last year

Boomer I don't think the Wolves are down Wade, isn't he out for the season? Not playing at all this year?

Reply #917682 | Report this post

koberulz  
Last year

Sounds like Kal women
That was my first thought, but "gone home" and "suffered a season-ending injury" are very much not the same thing, and they suited nine on the weekend.

Reply #917699 | Report this post

Hoot  
Last year

I made this "cinematic" video of the Mens East Perth Vs Goldfields game on the weekend.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K0Qd-cGacNI&feature=youtu.be

Reply #917705 | Report this post

Boomer  
Last year

haha I love the questions!

forwhatitsworth. definitely referring to the spurs of old. i think i even likened lewis thomas to manu ginobili with his hair in one of my first spurs references. their brand of basketball is not exciting and they are a bunch of old veterans but they win.

my comments about the wolves being down wade are simple really. he was signed for 2023. up until right before the season he was training with them and ready to go. Since his injury they have not signed anyone new to replace him. At least not that i am aware of.

Reply #917720 | Report this post

Bored  
Last year

Surely the late signing of Muo is the Wade replacement. They already have two imports.

Reply #917775 | Report this post

Boomer  
Last year

i dont think that timeline matches up? From my understanding Wade had yet to have his injury when they signed Muo?

Open to being corrected here.

Reply #917782 | Report this post

Bohemian Rhap  
Last year

Woj?

Reply #917788 | Report this post

Woj Bomb  
Last year

Cockburn Cougars 1st 8 0
Continue to roll though the league and have not been challenged taking care of Redbacks and Eagles easily last weekend. Brossman must be in real soon. Four starters averaging over 17ppg. Toughest game coming up this week v Wolves at wolves. Win this they are clear champ favourites.

Joondalup Wolves 2nd 10 1
Saw off a challenge against local rival Senators behind 22p 11 rebs from Teige Morrell and 22 of the bench from Belcher. Top of the table clash this week should be a cracker, is Parker Williams back from injury.

Mandurah Magic 3rd 6 2
2 wins over lakeside and a fiery clash v Willetton at home last weekend. Magic keeping tigers to 30 first half points. The addition of 6'2 Hannah Hank has literally been huge. Slammers and Eagles this week should push them to 8-2. The perennial question is this Milo’s year for a chip.

Perry Lakes Hawks 4th 8 3
Quietly taking care of business with a dominant first half over suns cruising to an 18 points win. Emma Clark 33 and 15 in 30 minutes. Work is Sam Ashby is back and tearing up practice. This team is starting to heat up. Giants this week.

Willetton Tigers 5th 7 3
Lost to Magic by 7 at home Sharp did all she could with 27p and Brcaninovic 21 and 10. They just miss that 3rd scorer and again the guard play is a problem 4p and 3 assists combined from Doran and Foster. Senators at home this week is a need W to stay with the top 4 pack.

Rockingham Flames 6th 5 3
Bye last week and suns on the road should be a W.
Warwick Senators 7th 4 4
The champs look anything but at the moment as teams feel confident against them. 11 point loss v wolves with Hoycard an uncharacteristic 2p performance. Barr back in the starting line up with 17p. Tigers this week.

East Perth Eagles 8th 4 7
Have been getting pounded with Lubke still out and no real inside target. Torresin playing the 4 spot. Will Lubke get back in time for them to push for top 8. Redbacks and Magic this weekend.

Lakeside Lightning 9th 4 8
Were competitive against Magic for at least the first half then just dropped away. Lacy Hawthorne aggressive with 15p inside. They just need both imports to fire at the same time each week. Got the win v slammers. Bye this week

Eastern Suns 10th 3 6
Lost last week to a blistering Hawks. Mak with 21 and 7 and Roscue with 17 and 7. Chous continues to build on her return. Team would be eying off that top 8 finals spot.

Goldfields Giants 11th 2 8
Horror run continues with 24p loss to suns and 43p loss to tigers on the weekend. They only had 6 fit bodies in the Tigers game. Talk is that they will replace at least one of their imports shortly. Hawks at home next game.

Perth Redbacks 12th 1 8
New coach in Jason Smith will take a few weeks to turn things around. Cougars beat them by 23. Scherf 15 and 5 in 24 minutes. Word is that both imports are staying around and alternating as Scherf is not around full season. Malone the shining light since her return. Eagles this week is a change of a W.

South West Slammers 13th 9 0
Magic on the road this week.

Reply #917795 | Report this post

Anon  
Last year

Darcee Garbin signs with Giants Women

Reply #917884 | Report this post

Iso24  
Last year

Huge signing for the Giants women and a much need boost for the team and coaching staff who have endured a horrendous season to date with injuries.

Reply #917899 | Report this post

koberulz  
Last year

Wasn't she just announced in the Opals squad?

Reply #917901 | Report this post

Anon  
Last year

koberulz
A few minutes ago

Wasn't she just announced in the Opals squad?

Correct
From my understanding she will miss 3 weekends. Considering there are still 9 or 10 left would consider it a big win for the club.

Much needed help after another injury savaged season.

Reply #917902 | Report this post

FreddyFudPucker  
Last year

poor eagles. the train wreck that is east perth's season continues. even when they play well they seem to fumble the bag...

Reply #917917 | Report this post

Bohemian Rhap  
Last year

1. Cougars (9-0)
Games against top eight: 6/11 (55%)

2. Wolves (10-2)
Games against top eight: 5/8 (62.5%)

3. Magic (8-2)
Games against top eight: 8/10 (80%)

4. Tigers (8-3)
Games against top eight: 4/9 (44%)

5. Hawks (8-4)
Games against top eight: 5/8 (63%)

6. Flames (6-3)

7. Senators (4-5)

8. Eagles (5-8)
Games against top eight: 3/7 (43%)

9. Lightning (4-8)
Games against top eight: 6/8 (75%)

10. Suns (3-7)

11. Goldfields (3-8)
Games against top eight: 5/9 (56%)

12. Redbacks (1-9)
Games against top eight: 6/10 (60%)

13. Slammers (0-10)

MEN

1. Perry Lakes (10-3)
Games against top eight: 7/9 (78%)

2. Tigers (9-3)
Games against top eight: 4/10 (40%)

3. Buccs (8-3)

4. Flames (8-3)

5. Redbacks (8-3)

6. Wolves (9-4)
Games against top eight: 7/9 (78%)

7. Suns (7-4)

8. Senators (5-5)

9. Giants (5-6)

10. Lightning (5-8)

11. Cougars (3-8)

12. Slammers (2-9)

13. Eagles (2-11)

14. Magic (0-11)
Games against top eight: 6/11 (54%)

Reply #917930 | Report this post

GoodSoup  
Last year

Half way point lets go.

Who wins it from here? Award winners?

This forum has gone quietttttttttttt

Reply #917939 | Report this post

Boomer  
Last year

Mens Power Rankings - Round 9

1. Buccaneers. 8-3. Up one. Easy pickings on Saturday night at home against Lakeside. Whilst not in great form the Lightning still have a fair amount of firepower. 2 imports, Rowan Mackenzie, Armour, Richards, Lee, Davey, Dual citizen player in Jackson. The rejuvenated Liam Hunt changes the whole outlook of this Buccs team.

2. Wolves. 9-4. Up one. The Turnage / Dove / Muo front court is starting to really click. Michaels looking more comfortable. The Wolves top 6 players are all firing. My fear for this team is the production outside of those top 6 guys. Can they continue to roll with this profile of production late in the season? For now, they are cooking.

3. Hawks. 10-3. Down two. Going out to Kalgoorlie expecting a blowout win, coming home with a L. The Hawks got exposed at the PG position in this game. Clarke was nothing short of abysmal going 0-8 from the field and fouling out. Nobensi backing him up off the bench with 0-2 from the field. In contrast Dupree dropped 24pts and Ballantyne 10. This to me was the difference in this game. Alexander getting in foul trouble and having to play limited minutes in the second half hurt. In contrast to the Tigers, down the stretch they didnt even look for Alexander. Despite all this had a chance to win the game after the Giant's import Smith had a complete brain fart mistaking the shot clock buzzer for the game buzzer on the last defensive possession. Not realising there was a 4 second differential between the shot clock and game clock. After securing the rebound off the missed shot he took 3 steps and threw the ball in the air in celebration only to be called for a travel and the ball given back to Hawks for the final shot. Isenbarger had a good look at the 3 but couldn't convert. Ferguson MIA in this game didnt help either. Nonetheless they should have still found a way to get this one.

4. Tigers. 9-3. Up two. Have shot up the ladder and find themselves now in 2nd place. Grindout win against Senators. Watching the Tigers down the stretch they did a fantastic job of getting the ball to the right guys. Hoskins, Worthington and Vigor. Hoskins first step is lightning fast. Senators struggled to stay in front of him. They werent perfect, but they executed far better than Senators down the stretch and took care of the defensive glass well. Young Tom Gerovich impacted the game down the stretch on the offensive glass and some really solid defense. Great to see Nener having faith in guys like Tom and rewarding them with minutes when the game is on the line.

5. Redbacks. 8-3. Unchanged. Took every ounce of effort to get over Eagles on the weekend. Why the Eagles were even in the contest speaks to the inconsistency of this Redbacks group. A wins a win still but not convincing that they have really got this thing figured out. Voelkel is a stats machine. Hobbs is leading the way scoring wise. I wonder what the go is with Timms. They play Vaingina as the starter and Timms bench minutes, however Timms a lot more efficient with his production. Colton not setting the world on fire either.

6. Suns. 7-4. Up one. Big scalp beating Rockingham at Rocko. Flames were without Godfrey which showed but still more than equipped to beat any other team in the League. Almanza and Cook-Green lit up in this one. Maxwell and Salinas both played crucial roles in this win. Trahair has the boys up the hill playing nice basketball. They play free and a nice brand of offense.

7. Flames. 8-3. Down three. Three losses in a row. Alarm bells need to be ringing. The talent level of this roster, even minus Godfrey, the financial investment, their home floor advantage, the level of coach, the best import in the league in Walker, they should not be losing to a low budget team like Suns. Watching the end of this game was painful. Walker didnt touch the ball. Combs looked like he was pouting anytime he didnt touch the ball. Nelson was the guy with the ball in his hands the majority of the time down the stretch but he wasnt playing well. Not sure whats going on with Nelson this season which I flagged in my previous power rankings. no change this week putting up 11pts on 3-10 shooting. 1 of 6 from 3. Noticed Combs is now coming off the bench too. He was a red hot 13-15 from the field which may talk to why he seemed pissed off when he didnt touch the ball. Petrik with his work cut out to stop this slide, get nelson back on track and get the boys playing as a team again.

8. Senators. 5-5. Unchanged. Someone send out a search party. Where is Ethan Elliott? The Senators are floundering without their solitary PG. A mediocre 5-5 at the halfway mark. Imports are putting up mediocre numbers. Dibiamaka averaging 10ppg 1rb 1ass and Ford 11pts 5reb. Ellis giving them 14ppg on 37%. Its just not enough to beat good teams. Simply put, they need more from these guys. Dibiamaka left the game late with an an injury and from there the game slipped out of the senators hands. Poor execution, a lack of discipline and poor shot selection, particularly from Davis and Ellis. Really lacked floor leadership. Coach Brennan appeared to have an issue with one of the officials at the end of the game after Mincherton picked up his 5th foul with about a minute to go. He kept clapping at the official and appeared to have a lot to say. Davis picking up a tech in the dying seconds after the game was out of reach. Clearly some frustration within the group. The fact they werent handling guys like young Gerovich on the glass down the stretch was an indicator their heads were elsewhere.

9. Goldfields. 5-6. Up two. Taking down a full strength, top of the ladder Hawks team is a big achievement, even if on their home floor. The Giants guards took care of business and dominated the Hawks guards. Smith almost lost them the game with his brain fart but they held on. Dupree and Malek hitting tough shots down the stretch to keep the scoreboard ticking over for the Giants. Probably the most erratic team in the league. They have great length and mobility in their bigs and a good core group. Will be interesting to see if they can string some wins together or if they stay up and down.

10. Cougars. 3-8. Down one. Season is starting to slip away for the Cougars. Its been a massive drop off from the Cougs from last season and I think the main reason is Skaggs. He gave them that outside threat with his 3 point shot. Field is slowing down now. Chan is a shadow of himself from last year. They will probably limp towards the end of the season, winning a couple and losing a couple. I cant see them making the playoffs this year.

11. Lightning. 5-8. Down one. Its interesting this roster has not been able to generate more wins or be more competitive in games. They actually have good depth and a lot of firepower. Have gone with a high profile American coach again but it hasnt resulted in wins yet. Were pretty much a non event in Geraldton.

12. Eagles. 2-11. Unchanged. Unlucky not to get 2 wins this weekend which would have seen them move up the power rankings. Lost by 1 to Redbacks and then ground out a win against the winless Magic. No team cohesion. Grace out. Roberts only played one game. Young been very ordinary.

13. Slammers. 2-9. Up one. Notched up their second win of the season against a winless Magic.

14. Magic. 0-11. Down one. Winless. Lost a double header to the two worst teams in the league (outside of themselves).

Reply #917967 | Report this post

Bohemian Rhap  
Last year

Woj?

Reply #917981 | Report this post

Dire Frisbee  
Last year

@Boomer - clearly no actual clue. "Chan a shadow of himself", hasn't played in a month injured, right? Guess you mean he's in the shadows? Attention to detail and quality assessments - yeah, not from Boomer.

Reply #917982 | Report this post

JT  
Last year

Trahair doing a heck of a coaching job at the Suns so far this year! I didn't really rate him at Mandurah so great to see!

Reply #917995 | Report this post

Boomer  
Last year

@Dire Frisbee, i love the passion. Happy to explain my assessment

My comments about Chan being a shadow of his former self were in context to the Cougars season this year and his performance in those to date. Yes, hes only played 5 games but his performance in those games in my view were significantly sub par to where he was in previous years and are part of the Cougars overall underperformance.

Lets look at the detail behind my comments

Averaging 4.4ppg on 30%Fg and 4.2as in those 5 games in 2023

Last 2 seasons ave 10ppg on 42.3%FG and 5.6as

His Plus/Minus in the 5 games this season are as follows

Reply #918060 | Report this post

Bored  
Last year

He also won the golden hands so was up there for steals as well. Probably a bit harsh to use plus minus against him, team has been bad so far this year.

Reply #918061 | Report this post

Dire Frisbee  
Last year

@Boomer - so your shout out to find Ethan Eliot based on fact to? No clue he's been injured, so not missing, search crews would find him right there, supporting his team mates whilst recovering.

Reply #918066 | Report this post

Boomer  
Last year

@Dire Frisbee its called a figure of speech. Yes, fully aware Ethan has been injured. Pretty nasty cut to his hand from a work incident. Nonetheless the facts are that the Senators are struggling without him on the court.

or do you disagree?

Reply #918069 | Report this post

Dire Frisbee  
Last year

100% they are, however "Someone send out the search party. Where is Ethan Elliot?" does not in anyway acknowledge you're aware he's injured, unless it's just a lazy attempt at a review? If you're going to take the time and pass your comments off as in anyway accurate or informed at least don't allow lazy writing and lack of research be your go to. It's one or the other, you know what's going on or you're writing is lazy, which is it?

Reply #918076 | Report this post

Bohemian Rhap  
Last year

Hey Woj have you got some power rankings to break up this Ethan Elliot fight?

Reply #918077 | Report this post

Ratty Mussell  
Last year

@ Dire Frisbee .. How bout smoking a bong or sumfin dude !!!!! How are your write ups doing bro??????

Reply #918087 | Report this post

Boomer  
Last year

lol Ratty Mussell love it

on the senators, Brennan just announced as AC for Phoenix.

Reply #918093 | Report this post

Dire Frisbee  
Last year

@ratty - Bahahahaaaaaaa, good one. **sigh** Scrolled looking for yours ...sadly lacking also.

@Boomer - pretty simple, post analysis posing as an expert, at least be accurate. Don't write lazily then blame others when you're called out. Anyone can twist anything in hindsight, FFS, Christianity is still trying to convince all Noah had all those animals on the Ark when "God" decided genocide was the only reasonable course of action, so????

Reply #918167 | Report this post

Ratty Mussell  
Last year

@ Dire Rear - where did I say anything about my write ups ? Also I'm not the one criticizing someone who is putting in the time and effort posting content on this forum ..... Keep up the good work @ Boomer ...

Reply #918169 | Report this post

Dire Frisbee  
Last year

@Ratty - you so punny. (Sigh)

Time maybe, no effort, effort would mean accuracy. But hey, keep on fighting the fight, love that about you.

Reply #918183 | Report this post

Bohemian Rhap  
Last year

Mid season is here.

Award winners at mid way?

MVP
DPOY
YPOY
COTY
1st teams

Grand final match ups
Champions

Anyone??

Reply #918204 | Report this post

Dire Frisbee  
Last year

@Ratty @Boomer - come on fellas, you guys should have the answers for Bohemian. Fountain of truth time - over to you.

Reply #918210 | Report this post

FreddyFudPucker  
Last year

Eagles basket case bus rolls on through Mandurah....

Reply #918252 | Report this post

West Whisper  
Last year

Congratulations to Mandurah on winning today's NBL1 West Shitshow Showdown.
Looked like a decent crowd there as well. Thank god the court stayed dry so they could still play today.

Reply #918257 | Report this post

Aza  
Last year

Freddy FP, thoughts on the game?

Reply #918260 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Last year

Congratulations to Mandurah on winning today's NBL1 West Shitshow Showdown.

Just when you thought Wait Awhile Day couldn't get any worse.

Reply #918273 | Report this post

Boomer  
Last year

@bohemian
my thoughts on the awards at mid way point

MVP - Quintin Dove (Wolves)
DPOY - Hobbs (Redbacks)
YPOY - Had he not been injured I would say Elliott (Senators) but for now Im going to say Gerovich (Tigers)
COTY - Adam Nener (Tigers)
1st teams - PG Hoskins (Tigers), SG Cook-Green (Suns), SF Walker (Flames), PF Dove (Wolves), C Combs (Flames)

Grand final match ups - Hawks v Buccs
Champions - Buccs

Reply #918299 | Report this post

koberulz  
Last year

What's the YPOY criteria?

Reply #918307 | Report this post

Bohemian Rhap  
Last year

Woj has gone missing!

Enjoying boomers thoughts but no women's info from woj on power rankings or mid way thoughts

Reply #918314 | Report this post

Boomer  
Last year

Mens Power Rankings - Round 10

1. Buccaneers. 9-3. Unchanged. Gero on a Sunday FIFO mission to Kal took care of business easily on the Giants home floor. Despite shooting a lower % than the Giants they bullied them on the glass, pulling in 16 OR to the Giants 5 and went to the FT line for 28 attempts to the Giants 9. The Buccs are on a 4-game win streak and in nice form heading into their home game against the Wolves this weekend.

2. Tigers. 10-3. Up two. On a 4-game win streak of their own. Gave the in-form Suns a belting on the road. Young Travis Fee having a night out with 18pts 9rb and 4as. Solid spread of scoring across the board for the Tigers.

3. Hawks. 11-3. Unchanged. Nice way to bounce back from their horror road trip last weekend. No doubt Parso would have cracked the whip after that loss. Mitch Clarke erupting for 30pts in 26mins after his shocker last week. Ferguson with 22 off the bench.

4. Wolves. 9-5. Down two. Tough loss to the Hawks who had a point to prove after their horrible performance last week. I still think the Wolves lack that true PG presence in their roster and really miss having the energy Wade brings at that position. All the usuals put up their numbers but just wasnt enough against the top of the table Hawks.

5. Flames. 10-3. Up two. It feels wrong moving the Flames up 2 spots after they beat the winless Magic (at the time) and the lowly Slammers. Really its more reflective of the inconsistency of some of the teams around them in the power rankings and the fact they are second on the ladder.

6. Suns. 7-5. Unchanged. Went down by single digits to a tough Tigers team but showed again they can mix it with those top teams. It was really 2 players that carried the load for the Suns in this one with Cook-Green and Almanza combining for 62 of their 85 points.

7. Senators. 6-5. Up one. Still missing Elliott who is out injured (is that better Dire Frisbee?). Cody Ellis shooting woes continue with a 28%FG shooting night. This was offset by Mincherton and Pearl both having big scoring games and everyone else shooting a great clip. On the back of their starters they were able to get over the short handed Redbacks.

8. Redbacks. 8-4. Down three. On paper should have won this game, even with Colton and Formosa out. They have more than enough firepower and depth to beat a young and out of form Senators. Nixy doesnt have any hair to pull out but Im sure if he did he would be right now.

9. Cougars. 4-8. Up one. Vintage performance from Field who dropped 30pts on 47% shooting. Keegan Phillips and Josh Hunt combining for 55pts carried the bulk of the remaining scoring load. The Cougars only suiting up 9 for this one come away with a much needed win.

10. Lightning. 6-8. Up one. Beat a basket case of an East Perth team. Havent been able to really get much cohesion this season. Mackenzie isnt giving them the numbers they have been used to in the past and they bring 2 americans off the bench. Armour not giving them much scoring production but then again he wasnt doing so last season for Mandurah either.

11. Goldfields. 5-8. Had an extremely rare double header at home and lost both games. After beating the top of the table Hawks last week to back up with losses to Cockburn and Gero would have been disappointing for the team and the supporters out there. I mentioned last week that they are probably the most erratic team in the league and the contrast from last week to this week only confirms this.

12. Magic. 1-12. Up two. They broke the seal and secured their first win of the season. Even though it was against a basket case Eagles team it was a win and a big one at that. Split the weekend with a big margin loss against Flames which was to be expected.

13. Slammers. 2-10. Unchanged. Belted by the Flames.

14. Eagles. 2-13. Down two. What a horrible weekend. Losing to a struggling Lakeside team and then to a winless Magic by a big margin. Yes they have some outs at the moment but they still have more than enough firepower to be winning these types of games. This is not a lack of talent problem. They are not getting what they could be or should be from this roster.

This week Im adding an additional spot on the power rankings
15. Dire Frisbee. 0 wins. Couldn't handle the commentary on Seva Chan or the figure of speech in regards to Ethan Elliott. Called the fun police and accused me of lazy writing. Had no basis for claims I didn't know what I was talking about and was just all round losing on all fronts. Hope to see Dire in the win column this week with some more positive contributions.

Reply #918326 | Report this post

Boomer  
Last year

*correction to Tigers run down. Should not have read "gave the Suns a belting". Was meant to say "gave the Suns a reality check" but I forgot to edit before posting!

Reply #918327 | Report this post

Dire Frisbee  
Last year

@Boomer - took your time, genuinely researched and yes, much better worded. Glad to see my opinions affected how you chose to write this week, at least you don't look as ill informed. Appreciate the effort in your analysis this week.

Reply #918351 | Report this post

Shammgodd  
Last year

This is more entertaining than most of this round's games. One of the great bulletin board rivalries.

Now kith.

Reply #918373 | Report this post

Bohemian Rhap  
Last year

Would be nice to get some women's chat instead of stupid rivalries

Reply #918374 | Report this post

Dire Frisbee  
Last year

@Bohemian - over to you, what have you got?

Reply #918376 | Report this post

Billy Bob  
Last year

Where is wildcat?

Reply #918390 | Report this post

Woj Bomb  
Last year

NBL 1 Women Power rankings - Round 11
We start to turn the bend now for a run home for finals and the top 8 is starting to heat up.
Cockburn Cougars 1st 10 0
The team continues to roll and can I say they also play pretty basketball, simple offense, move the ball find the shooters and Jessie controlling the middle. Took care of wolves in a top of the table clash last week and yes Wolves were missing a starter in Williams but got the job done, then beat a Giants team on the road. Brossman to suit up this week against Mandurah at the Den, the final piece in a championship contender.
Joondalup Wolves 2nd 11 2
The big question is how long is Parker-Williams out for, Klastourney has been in good form as her replacement but against bigger teams they need Neseya. Had a tough game v Perry lakes last round getting up by just 2 behind studs Morrell (24p 22r) and Ryan(27p). However the team continues to stack wins up and hold home court for finals.
Mandurah Magic 3rd 9 3
Magic got their asses handed to them at home last week by a relentless Rocko team, the question is does Magic have what it takes to be a contender and which team will show up. The did bounce back easily beating Eagles. Kat tudor finding form with 31 points. No bigger test in basketball right now with Cougars at home on a Friday night. Really this is the season point for Magic, a loss could push them out of the top 4 for the rest of the season.
Willetton Tigers 4th 9 3
Tigers got a good win over Warwick a couple of weeks back that just tells everyone not to write them off just yet. The addition of young gun Amy Jacobs from college is timely and adds some bench scoring. Brcaninovic is starting to torch teams with 29p v Suns on the back of 5 from deep. They need Kelly to bounce back into a 18+ppg player to give them that legit 3rd option. Lakeside this week.
Rockingham Flames 5th 8 3
Second hottest team in the league right now, 7 game win streak pushing them up the standings. The much discussed depth allows them to go hard knowing boag, Evans and Mader are coming in. There is legit size across all positions. Pangalos comes back from national duties this week. Suns coming up.
Perry Lakes Hawks 6th 8 5
Have a lost a couple of games now by close margins which shows how close this team is to the top 4 pack. The lost in Kal hurt.The Clarke/Gilday pairing is providing results and the return of Ashby off the bench gives them needed scoring help. For me this team goes how Ash Aisenberger goes, at her best she is a top 5 player but just can't seam to get back to that form. Reds this week.
Warwick Senators 7th 5 5
An earth quake just shuddered through the league on Friday night as Stacey Barr dropped a quiet 51p on Redbacks, 8 from 12 from downtown. (Nice league promotion BWA). The league was hoping she was having a down year but the MVP is back!. No top 4 team will want to play this team in a 1 game series. Cougars this week on the back of a double header could be gettable.
Lakeside Lightning 8th 5 8
A big win over Eagles last week, it was great see them get up. Laci hawthorn dominated the middle with 22p and 13 rebs. Tigers this week.
East Perth Eagles 9th 5 10
Its looking less likely that Sam Lubke will be returning this season and the longer she misses, means this team just can’t compete in the middle. Maddy Allen now losing a step and not the defensive anchor she once was. Torrison having to shift to a big has impacted her play. Got blown out twice by Magic recently and a shock loss (on paper) to Lakeside. Warwick this week.
Eastern Suns 10th 3 8
Suns gave up 103 to Willetton last round, the team can score (Chou 24p) but just can’t hold teams to a competitive total. Roscoe having a decent year. Flames this week who may drop 120.
Goldfields Giants 11th 3 9
The Darcee show is town is great to watch, they play to a far higher level with her on the court allowing Turnour-McCarthey and Hawaikirana to get open. Big win v Perry Lakes recently. Cougars sent double teams to Darcee and if others can make shots is the key. The team could spoil a few parties. Question is how many Darcee games do they have with her.
Perth Redbacks 12th 1 10
Just beat Stacey Barr 51 – 58 on the weekend. Scherf underwhelming so far 15p 12r really needs to be 25-27 ppg. Her departure will be soon with her Europe contract now signed.
South West Slammers 13th 0 11
Just keep working young ones.

Reply #918391 | Report this post

wildcat  
Last year

Right here Billy Bob! I have enjoyed the peace and quiet of not hearing you as long as I stay quiet ;)

Reply #918393 | Report this post

Woj Bomb  
Last year

Mid Season Awards
1st team all NBL 1
G: Burrows 19.6ppg 8rpg 5apg
G: Kraker 21.2ppg 51% 3pt
F: Mortensen 21.1ppg 11.2rpg
F: Sharp 22.8ppg 12.7 rpg
C: Morell 22.3ppg 12.38rpg

2nd Team all NBL 1
G: Ryan 19.9ppg 5rpg 4apg 40% 3pt
G: Williams 18ppg
F: Clarke 21ppg 8rpg
F: Brcaninovic 19.4ppg
C: Roscoe 21ppg 7rpg 42% 3pt

League MVP will be interesting as players like Kraker, Barr, Brcaninovic has not played as many games as Morell, Clarke, Sharp.
League MVP: Tiege Morrell, model of consistency would be 3 vote getter in most of her games.

Reply #918394 | Report this post

+  
Last year

it is what it is - so many can cry social justice or inequality but where is all this $ coming from ? - it's a slow gain and has to be built up over time. I feel I should have my own home after working full time 25 years - whilst the family down the road have one - not their problem. Same with wages / salary. Good on the players if they can do well - some have - and hopefully the ones that have worked hard. No way around it, you just have to do the hard yards.

Reply #918395 | Report this post

+  
Last year

wrong thread sorry

Reply #918396 | Report this post

Pat Bev  
Last year

I heard that Hayden Brown from the Lightning is training with the Wildcats- interesting!

Reply #918433 | Report this post

Drexler  
Last year

Walker!!!!

Reply #918499 | Report this post

Boomer  
Last year

Mens Power Rankings - Round 11

1. Buccaneers. 10-3. Unchanged. Buccs win streak extended to 5 in a row. Joondalup put up a decent fight but fell short. Low scoring affair for this one with both teams shooing poor % from the field. Stewart with one of his worst games of the season didnt help on that front for the Buccs. Muo had a rough one too going 4-15 from the field for Joondalup. Despite the low score, the Buccs are the form team of the competition and have a very winnable double header coming up this weekend against Suns and Warwick.

2. Flames. 11-3. Up three. Really sent a message to the league with the win against Kalamunda. After losing a close one to the Suns a few weeks ago, they really flexed their muscle against the Suns with a 40 point shalacking. Devondrick Walker with one of the biggest poster dunks you will ever see at NBL1 level. Vicious stare down after the dunk. This will definitely be in the top 10 plays for the NBL1 as a whole at the end of the season. With this win the Flames regain top place on the ladder once again.

3. Tigers. 10-4. Down One. Win streak snapped to cross town rival Lakeside. Gak struggled in this one and with no Worthington the Tigers played their younger bigs a lot more. Tigers struggled to contain Brown who had a nice state line of 27pts on 66%FG, 5 reb, 4 as, 3st.

4. Hawks. 11-4. Down One. Got stung by the tough side of the Redbacks dual personality. Is there a bit of a trend appearing where the Hawks really struggle against teams that have a strong and attacking PG? If Clarke doesnt play well and beat his matchup the Hawks struggle to win. Hoskins, Hobbs, Dupree all caused serious problems for the Hawks. Maybe a tad unfair to boil this Redbacks loss down to the PG matchup as the Reds shot a blistering 56%FG and 54% from 3 as a team.

5. Redbacks. 9-4. Up three. This team has 2 distinct sides. The side that can destroy the top placed team and the side that can falter against an out of form struggling team. This is the second time they have beat a team who were top of the table at the time. Were without Timms and Formosa but showed what they are capable of when everything is clicking. Now sit in 5th on the ladder.

6. Wolves. 9-6. Down One. The Wolves are now falling back to the bottom end of the top 8 in the mix with Suns, Lightning, Cougars and Senators. It will be these 5 teams that duke it out for the final 3 playoff spots. Have a big task ahead facing the Flames this weekend. Lose that one and your even further in that fight with the other 4 playoff contending teams.

7. Suns. 7-6. Down One. Were really out of their depth against the Flames over the weekend. The difference between the 2 teams in this one was the crazy shooting % the Flames shot. Over 62% from the field and over 62% from 3. Not many teams are going to be within 40 points of the Flames if they are shooting with those types of numbers. Walker really showed his class here with 41 points going 11-15 from 3.

8. Cougars. 6-8. Up one. With the 2 wins this weekend, the Cougars keep their playoff hopes alive. They are starting to find some chemistry finally. Young Keegan Phillips is finding himself at this level and is putting up solid numbers over the last 2 weeks. Alexander is starting to get going. Cougars dispatched Mandurah by 20 and then took care of Warwick in a close one the following night. The cougars can keep their winning streak going this weekend with a win against the Eagles.

9. Senators. 6-7. Down Two. What a horrible weekend for the Senators. One positive was that Elliott rejoined the team and had some decent numbers. The negative was that they lost to East Perth and to Cockburn. Two games they would generally be pencilling in for wins. Diambaka, Litterick and Ellis all out this weekend which reduces their firepower. Availability of players hampered their season last year and is playing out again for them this year. This weekend have Mandurah and Buccs. They would want to at least split this double header to stay in touch with the top 8.

10. Lightning. 7-8. Unchanged. Had a solid win against Tigers. Brown big numbers. Ably supported by Mackenzie, Davey and Armour. Can they be consistent in this form and really shake for a playoff spot? They have a very winnable game against the Goldfields this weekend.

11. Magic. 2-13. Up One. They split the weekend with a big loss to cockburn and then a solid win over Goldfields.

12. Slammers. 3-10. Up One. Beat Goldfields comfortably.

13. Eagles. 3-13. Up One. Big win for the Eagles. Well overdue. Grace back into the team and Roberts with a nice 22pts and 11rb.

14. Goldfields. 5-10. Down Three. How you go from beating Perry Lakes a few weeks ago to losing a double header to a 2-win slammers team and a 1-win Magic team I dont know. They were at full strength for the Slammers game and down Ballantyne for the mandurah game. Still should be taking care of business regardless.

Reply #918541 | Report this post

wildcat  
Last year

Wolves a worry

Reply #918545 | Report this post

Your boy blue  
Last year

Redbacks about to load up?

Reply #918602 | Report this post

radar  
Last year

please explain little boy blue !! they would have run out of time to add anyone else to the roster.

Reply #918618 | Report this post

koberulz  
Last year

If it's the same rule as the NBL, then as long as a new addition suits up this weekend they should be fine.

Reply #918627 | Report this post

Groote  
Last year

Perth have nine games left. If it's still 1/3 of the season they are fine. Smart move given D.O's playing for the Cats now. Makes you wonder if anyone has late play for Henshall too now he's back from CoE.

Reply #918629 | Report this post

Boomer  
Last year

Reading between the lines and if Im connecting the dots correctly are we saying that David Okwera is joining the Perth Redbacks for the remainder of the NBL1 season?

If thats the case is that the end of Louis Timms tenure at the club? He was already playing reduced minutes on the bench behind Vaingina let alone adding someone of the calibre of Okwera in the same position
Or am i missing something and Timms is injured/out for rest of season already?

Reply #918634 | Report this post

Your boy blue  
Last year

The Radar seems off...
Redbacks only really playing 7-8 deep, could do with another with some double headers coming. DO a great addition

Reply #918647 | Report this post

Bohemian Rhap  
Last year

Woj?

Reply #918649 | Report this post

koberulz  
Last year

Okwera official at Redbacks, Dibiamaka done for the season at Senators.

Reply #918652 | Report this post

Bohemian Rhap  
Last year

Looks like it's game on from 1-6 still on the men’s side

Women’s side 1 to 3 looks set and game on 4 to 7

Rocko women with a terrible weekend don’t think anyone would have picked that

Reply #918729 | Report this post

Pat Bev  
Last year

Heard Hayden Brown from the Lightning is out for 3 weeks, rolled his ankle at practice. There go their playoff hopes!

Reply #918827 | Report this post

Bohemian Rhap  
Last year

Is Woj on holidays?

Reply #918828 | Report this post

Boomer  
Last year

Mens Power Rankings - Round 12

1. Flames. 13-3. Up One. After a bit of a wobble towards mid-season the Flames are reasserting themselves as the team to beat in this league. Dispatched Willetton with ease and the following night took care of business against the Wolves. Devondrick Walker amassing 67 points over the 2 games. Pardon the pun but he is on fire right now. With Walker in ridiculous form and Nelson finally playing the way we all know hes capable of putting up 27pts against Wolves, the Flames are a real problem.

2. Buccaneers. 11-3. Down One. Buccs extended their win streak to 6 in a row with a comfortable win over the Suns on Saturday night but had a heartbreaking loss to Senators on the Sunday going down by 1. Mincherton knocked down 1 of 2 free throws with 6 seconds left to put the Senators up by 1 and ended up winning them the game. Buccs missing Hunt in this one.

3. Hawks. 12-4. Up One. Not much to say here. Hawks v Slammers was only going to end one way.

4. Redbacks. 10-4. Up One. With the announcement this week that the team had added David Okwera the Redbacks would have been brimming with confidence. Redbacks now in 4th on the ladder. Brian Voelkel putting up Ben Simmons type stat lines. If anyone has intel on what is happening with Louis Timms would love to know whats happening there.

5. Tigers. 11-5. Down Two. After losing to Lakeside last week the Tigers got pumped by the Flames. Hoskins had a shocker going 1-10 from the field. They need both Hoskins and Gak to be firing for them to compete with those top tier teams. Worthington played 5 mins in the Flames game which is concerning. Tigers got back in the win column on Sunday with a cruisy victory against Slammers.

6. Wolves. 9-7. Unchanged. Put up a good fight against the Flames but just needed one more guy to fire. Dove and Michaels were the leaders for the Wolves but a quiet game from Muo and below average game from Turnage contributed to them not outscoring the Flames. Muo only taking 1 shot in 16 mins which he made, not sure what happened there. After being a top 4 side for a good part of the season, the Wolves are in a vulnerable position. Things dont get easier for them as they play the in form Redbacks this weekend.

7. Senators. 8-7. Up Two. Two wins for the Warwick boys this weekend. Brennan has changed some of the rotations and it seems to be working nicely. Elliott and Mincherton starting in the backcourt and Pearl coming off the bench with new recruit Bonhomme. The senators took care of business against Mandurah with a scoring spread of 6 guys in double digits. As mentioned earlier they ground out a tough win vs Buccs on the Sunday. Elliott leading the way in that one with 30pts. Will have a tough ask this weekend taking on Flames on Saturday night and the Magic in a quick turnaround on the Sunday.

8. Suns. 7-8. Down One. Suns desperately trying to hold on to a playoff spot dropped 2 games over the weekend to drop below .500. They got pumped by the Redbacks but at least made a game of it against the Buccs. The Suns need some more support for Cook-Green. Hes had a great season so far but in the latter half of the year as the playoff race really heats up, teams are going to really hone in on him even more and unless guys like Almanza and Maxwell score big they will find it difficult to continue to get the wins needed. This weekend should handle Slammers easily at least to put them back on par.

9. Lightning. 8-8. Up one. Cruised to victory out in Kal against a Giants team that has packed it in. Import Brown was out for this one for Lightning as was Smith for the Giants. Can they continue to win games if Brown remains out of the lineup? Redbacks will be a tough ask this weekend if he is not available.

10. Cougars. 6-9. Down two. After a very promising weekend last week the Cougars fell to the Eagles by 1. Its games like this they cant afford to lose if they are going to feature in the playoffs this year. Their double header this weekend is critical. Mandurah and Hawks. They have the team that can beat both these sides, but if they aren't firing on all cylinders they could quite easily lose both. Field needs to lead the way with this group for them to have a chance.

11. Eagles. 4-13. Up Two. Big win for the Eagles taking down the Cougars, putting a dent in their playoff hopes. Can the Eagles build on their 2 game win streak?.

12. Magic. 2-14. Down one. Big loss to Warwick.

13. Slammers. 3-12. Down One. Two big losses to Hawks and Tigers.

14. Goldfields. 5-11. Unchanged. Wheels look like they have fallen off. Loss to a weakened Lakeside team on their own home floor. It wont get any better facing the Tigers this weekend.

Reply #918879 | Report this post

koberulz  
Last year

They said on the broadcast that Louis Timms has a calf injury and is expected to return this weekend.

Reply #918882 | Report this post

Andrew  
Last year

Muo got injured. Some sort of leg injury I think.

Reply #918885 | Report this post

Boomer  
Last year

Mens Power Rankings - Round 13

1. Flames. 15-3. Unchanged. Two comfortable wins this weekend against Slammers and Warwick. Pretty solid contributions across the board from bench and starters. Good to see Nelson continuing his form from last week playing much more efficiently.

2. Buccaneers. 12-4. Unchanged. Buccs handled East Perth with a monster first half and then cruised in for the easy victory. Gattorna went ballistic from outside shooting 8-11 from 3 and finishing with 39 points.

3. Hawks. 12-4. Unchanged. Dismantled Cockburn on the weekend by 30. The hawks only allowed 54 points and at the offensive end got contribution from every player on the roster. Ferguson and Alexander did most of the damage scoring wise.

4. Tigers. 12-5. Up one. Went into the 4th down by 8 and with a 34-16 4th quarter walked away with a 10 point victory. Hoskins making up for a shocker last weekend. Vigor and Gak both 3 assists shy of triple doubles.

5. Wolves. 10-7. Up One. Ground out a close win vs the Redbacks without Muo in the lineup. Dove continues to lead the way for the Wolves. Bit of a bizzare ending with Turnage getting fouled with 26 seconds remaining and going to the line for 2. Turnage hit the first to put the Wolves up by 4 then missed the second but got his own rebound only to turn it over a few seconds later with Okwera getting a nice dunk to put the Reds within 2. After a timeout Turnage turned the ball over again and the Redbacks having chances to win the game on a 3 as well as tie the game on a tip in.

6. Redbacks. 10-6. Down Two. Not a great weekend for the Redbacks. Instead of putting themselves firlmy in the top 4 this weekend, they put themselves right back in the mix with the 5-8 playoff spot conversation. Just as it looked like they were starting to click too. Bringing in a new player can unsettle the chemistry a little and I expect them to sort that fairly quickly. But still, with the firepower they have they should have won both those games. Interestingly the Redbacks didnt register a single blocked shot against the Wolves on Saturday night. Uncommon when you have players like Vaingina and Okwera in the middle. Then to follow up with losing to a Lightning team without their best player was unexpected. They should not be dropping games like this with the roster they have.

7. Lightning. 9-8. Up Two. The Lightning have quietly strung together a 4 game win streak which includes beating 2 x top 5 teams. This win is pretty big. Doing it without Brown who is out with an ankle injury. 87 of the lightnings 89 points coming from their starting 5. Davey putting up a Prue-like performance with 10pts and 21rb. Mackenzie leading the way with 31pts going 6-8 from 3. The lightning are now in the top 8 with an equal W/L record as Warwick. It is certainly going to be an interesting race for these last few playoff spots. Can the Lightning extend the streak to 5? Given they play the Flames this coming weekend that will be a very tough ask.

8. Suns. 7-8. Unchanged. Walk up victory against Slammers.

9. Senators. 9-8. Down Two. The Senators split the weekend which is probably what was expected to happen. They dont have enough firepower to hang with the Flames but would be expected to roll Mandurah fairly easily. Which is exactly how it played out. Season defining weekend ahead for the Warwick boys playing both the Wolves and Redbacks.

10. Cougars. 7-10. Unchanged. Cougars split the weekend. Comfortable win against Magic but couldnt back it up against Hawks. They couldnt score against the Hawks putting up only 54 points. Highest scorers for them were Keegan Phillips and Berry who both had 10 each. Field, Benning and Alexander combining for 16 points on 4 of 23 from the floor. Ouch. This might be the nail in the coffin for playoff chances. They have Redbacks, Willetton, Goldfields, Slammers and Suns remaining. They would have to win probably 4 out of 5 to make it, if not 5 out of 5.

11. Eagles. 4-14. Unchanged. Tough loss out in Gero. Gave up way too many points in the first half to be a chance. Season done for the Eagles.

12. Magic. 2-16. Unchanged. Rough weekend. Losing to the Cougars by double digits and then a 40 point loss to the Senators.

13. Slammers. 3-14. Unchanged. Flames and Suns torched them as expected.

14. Goldfields. 5-12. Unchanged. Toast. Blew 8 point lead headed into the 4th to lose by 10.

Reply #919126 | Report this post

Bohemian Rhap  
Last year

Woj and Boomer what's your thoughts on end of year awards? Nearly at the end now.

Reply #919196 | Report this post

Bored  
Last year

The womens MVP is really no contest is it? It should be Morell
1st in points (excluding Whitcomb and Garbin 5 combined games)
2nd in rebounds
2nd in blocks
1st in FG% (excluding whitcomb two games)
Second on the ladder and easily the best big in the league

Sharpe a closeish second

Reply #919198 | Report this post

Bohemian Rhap  
Last year

Probably a fair shout. Sharp Mortensen and Kraker probably the next best chances with both teams winning enough games.

There is youth defensive and sixth player of the year?
Coach of the year?
All-star 5?

Reply #919199 | Report this post

Groote  
Last year

Women

MVP: Morrell (JW)
COTY: T Thwaites (CC)
Youth: J Williams (CC)
6th: T Evans (RF)
Allstar 5: Kraker (RF) Williams (CC) Clark (WT) Morrell (JW) Hank (MM)

Men

MVP: D Walker (RF)
COTY: R Petrik (RF)
Youth: J Narkle (GB)
6th: F Klastzorny (GB)
Allstar 5: Walker (RF) Meunier (GB) Hobbs (PR) Dove (JW) Combs (RF)

Reply #919201 | Report this post

Boomer  
Last year

For me the mens awards are:

MVP Devondrick Walker. (Dove is a very close second).
Youth Player Ethan Elliott
Coach of the Year Ryan Petrik
6th Man Louis Timms
Defensive Player Brian Voelkel
All Star PG Darnell Hoskins SG Joe Cook Green SF Devondrick Walker PF Quintin Dove C Gorjak Gak

Grand Final Flames v Redbacks
GF MVP Devondrick Walker

Reply #919279 | Report this post

Thatguy11  
Last year

The Wanneroo team revolves around Morrell despite Ryan and Co's efforts to go solo and take the team out of team sports. I watched Wanneroo play Perth in a blow out a couple of weeks ago and that Adian coach didn't run through his bench at all. Don't read into statistics and box scores, they dont tell the full picture. Sharpe is clearly heads and shoulders above her peers talent wise

Reply #919306 | Report this post

wildcat  
Last year

Nixy can't coach

Bought not built back at it again

Reply #919307 | Report this post

Camel 90  
Last year

NBL1 W All Star 5

Coaches cheat but 4 spots should be locked in

C Morrell
F Sharp
F Mortensen
G Kraker

Another G the only real conversation

Contenders
Williams, Burrows, Ryan, Clarke, Chou

Chou, good stats, team doesn't win enough, she's out
Clarke, missed 4 games so far(currently injured) she's out
Williams, up and down, best team, alot of vote getters, she's (probably) out.

Burrows and Ryan, both great numbers, both good teams. Who is more responsible for team success? Burrows has Kraker and Ryan has Morrell.

Who knows.

Reply #919308 | Report this post

Dire Frisbee  
Last year

Womens:

MVP: Clearly Morrell
COTY: Can't be TT, stacked squad, best money can buy. Not sure how he got the budget past the CEO (mhmm :/ ) but with WBNL calibre (Williams should really be revisited by the Lynx), Internationals and a host of recruited players, it's front office and not coaching really. Alava or Morley really coaching hard with what they have and have developed themselves, credit needs to be paid to both.

Men's:

MVP: Walker still clearly the best player in the league so hard to argue that one.

COTY: Parsons quietly (unusual for him) going about his business so surely has to be in the conversation. Petrik, much like TT, benefits from the perks of $$. Joseph keeps his team in contention also.

Playoffs: Women - The $$ of Cocburn versus the grunt of Senators. Men - The $$ of Flames v Hawks.

Reply #919416 | Report this post

Bohemian Rhap  
Last year

Looks like Dire Frisbee has gone fishing for a Groote or Wildcat bite.

Reply #919437 | Report this post

Boomer  
Last year

Mens Power Rankings - Round 14

1. Flames. 16-3. Unchanged. Ground out a dogfight win against a resurgent Lakeside. Nelson and Walker combining for 71 of the Flames 101 points. When both guards are firing like this, they are incredibly difficult to beat. Nice to see Nelson back to playing like we are used to seeing from him.

2. Buccaneers. 13-4. Unchanged. Cruisy win over the Magic.

3. Hawks. 15-4. Unchanged. Got out of jail against the Tigers. After only scoring 7 points in the first quarter, turned it on to put up 88 across the other 3. Really poured it on in the 4th with a 15-5 run in the last 3 minutes to steal the game by 1. Clarke erupting for 40pts.

4. Tigers. 12-6. Unchanged. Were in control of the game against the Hawks until the last 3 minutes. The Tigers last made FG was with 3 mins remaining to give them a 9 point lead. They subsequently gave up a 15-5 run and went 5-10 from the FT line with 3 turnovers. An interesting stat for the Tigers in this one. They had 6 players who scored. All of them were in double digits. Lowest scorer was 12, highest 19.

5. Redbacks. 11-7. Up One. Split the weekend with a disappointing loss to Senators followed by a win against the Cougars. They have really struggled to play to their full potential since bringing in Okwera. They have more firepower in their roster than you can poke a stick at, but clearly the chemistry isnt there yet. They should be a top 4 side if playing to their potential, if not top 2. Big double header for them this weekend with Eagles and Buccs.

6. Wolves. 10-8. Down one. Disappointing loss to the Senators who were on the back end of a double header. Not to mention it was a home game for the Wolves also. No Michaels for the wolves in this one and Dove played valiantly putting up 37pts. Wolves need to win games like this if they are to be a serious contender. A loss like this shows their lack of depth outside their import/pro guys.

7. Senators. 11-8. Up Two. Well the Senators boys showed up on the weekend! Kudos. Winning these two games against teams they are fighting for playoff position against is a big boost for their confidence. They have what many would consider a walk up win this weekend against the Slammers too. The Senators hammered the Redbacks in the first half and cruised in from there for a 19 point win. They got great production off the bench in this game. Wolves was a tighter contest but again they had a great spread of scoring across the board.

8. Lightning. 9-8. Down one. The Lightning have been without Brown for a few weeks and whilst he is clearly their best player, it has changed the dynamic within the team and allowed Mackenzie to really become the main scorer. Armour has stepped up and been scoring more also. They dropped a close one to Flames to end their 4 game win streak. They were right there until the 4th where the Flames put their foot down. Promising signs from the Lakeside boys who are holding onto 8th position. Get Brown back and they are a bit of a danger team in the playoffs. Another tough game for them this week against the visiting Buccs.

9. Suns. 8-10. Down one. Suns are really struggling to find form. After a patch mid season where they took down a couple of scalps in Flames and Senators they havent really been too much of a threat. In danger of really losing touch with a potential playoff spot. They have Wolves and Giants this weekend. Win both and they would be making Lakeside nervous. Lose both and they are probably done. Split the weekend and they live to fight another week.

10. Cougars. 7-11. Unchanged. With the loss to the Redbacks on the weekend you would have to say any chance of playoffs is all but gone. Dire Frisbee would be stoked to see Seva Chan is back, putting up 9 points in his 20mins. No Phillips bros for the cougars on the weekend. Alexander giving a 20pt 17rb performance and Field a 24pt 12rb showing wasnt enough. Alexander going 6-18 to get his 20pts probably hurt a little.

11. Eagles. 5-14. Unchanged. Destroyed Suns but its too late for it to mean anything for their season.

12. Magic. 2-17. Unchanged. Tough ask to beat Gero at home for anyone so I don't think anyone expected a different result for the Magic. Utley is counting down the days for this season to end.

13. Goldfields. 6-12. Up one. destroyed Slammers by 31.

14. Slammers. 3-15. Down one. Been a long season for the Slammers and its a long road trip to go to Kal and lose by 31. Would love to see them put a squad together for 2024

Reply #919450 | Report this post

Bored  
Last year

Where is Worthington? Tough to see them making a deep run with him out of the rotation and kids seeing increased minutes.

Reply #919457 | Report this post

Dire Frisbee  
Last year

After Friday night's games I may need to reassess some of my Men's ideas. While Walker may still be the best shooter in the league, Dove may well be deserving of the MVP crown this year.

At the same time, I had said Parsons was quietly doing his thing, but was well and truly out coached last night by Petrik. Parsons lack of in game adjustments and ability to counter the game plan of a smarter coach was exposed for all to see. Petrik surely Men's COTY, not just relying on his players but gives them the tools and adjustments they need to be successful.

Women's will be interesting tonight. Does Simon Parker have the moves to counter the $$ of TT? Genuine COTY contender (Parker) versus the $$ of TT trying to buy a championship. Time will tell I guess?

Reply #919656 | Report this post

Dire Frisbee  
Last year

@Boomer - is Chan playing again tonight? And I notice the SOS for Elliot has been answered the past few games, he seems to have been found for Senators recently (phew, right?)
Rumour has it Senators not concerned about their clash with Slammers tonight, so much so head coach won't even travel down? Who will step up I wonder?

Reply #919657 | Report this post

Boomer  
Last year

Mens Power Rankings - Round 15

1. Flames. 17-3. Unchanged. Easily dispatched the second on the ladder Hawks by 20. With Nelson hitting form at just the right time it puts the Flames in prime position to go back to back NBL1 west titles.

2. Buccaneers. 14-5. Unchanged. Splitting the weekend cost them the opportunity to move into second place with the Hawks dropping to Flames. They edged out a resurgent Lakeside by 5 and backed up with a loss to the jeckyl and hide Redbacks. No Liam Hunt this weekend which really hits their depth in the bigs. Getting good scoring spreads across their roster at the moment.

3. Tigers. 12-6. Up one. In 4th position on the ladder and a game out of 3rd. Beat arch rival Cougars by 6. Vigor with a monster game putting up 27pts 14rb 7as. Hoskins was back in form with a nice 31pt performance. Still no worthington for the tigers. He suited up but didnt play, perhaps on load management? The Kahwi Leonard of the NBL1.

4. Hawks. 15-5. Down one. Disappointing they couldnt make much of a game of it considering them and Flames are 1 and 2 on the ladder. They didnt win a quarter against the Flames. The teams Assist/Turnover ratio was neutral with 15as 15to. Their entire main rotation were all minus in the plus/minus. Purser and Clarke with 9 of the 15 turnovers. The Hawks shooting % was uncharacteristically low at 41%FG. Just tough to beat such a offensively deep team in Flames with low %'s. They are still not a team you want to face in the playoffs.

5. Redbacks. 12-8. Unchanged. Split the weekend but not the way you would expect. The Reds going down to the East Perth Eagles and then beating Buccs. The Reds struggled to slow down the Eagles who shot 48% from 3 for the game. In contrast, the Reds going 6-23 (26% 3pt) from 3. The game against Buccs was much tighter but the Reds still only shot 9-25 (36% 3pt) from 3. Might be facing a lot more zone if they keep shooting the 3 at these clips.

6. Wolves. 12-8. Unchanged. 2 wins this weekend against non playoff teams. Without Michaels they took out a close one against the Suns, followed by a cruisy win against the magic. The cruisy wins against magic are a common theme for a lot of teams this year so I dont put much stock in it. Dove with a monster 40pt 13rb 81%FG performance against the Suns followed by a 30pt 6rb 3st performance vs Magic.

7. Senators. 12-8. Unchanged. Victory vs Slammers.

8. Lightning. 9-10. Unchanged. Close game against the Buccs ultimately coming up short. they are fighting hard in these games without Brown. Pity they couldnt have had this from the beginning of the season. Hanging onto 8th spot.

9. Suns. 8-12. Unchanged. Close loss to Wolves and a blowout loss to Giants. They really needed those wins to keep their playoff hopes alive. 2 losses back from lakeside now.

10. Cougars. 8-12. Unchanged. Split the weekend also. Close loss to Tigers and a win against Goldfields. 2 losses back from Lakeside also. Have got Chan back. Both games had a negative +/-.

11. Eagles. 6-14. Unchanged. Pretty big win against Redbacks. But season is done.

12. Goldfields. 7-13. Up one. destroyed Suns and then lost a close one to Cougars. Season over.

13. Magic. 2-18. Unchanged. lost to wolves in a blowout. season over

14. Slammers. 3-17. Unchanged. loss to senators. season over

Reply #919933 | Report this post

Groote  
Last year

Magic have sent home both their imports in Abrom & Bobbitt, after reports they have left large bills thanks to significant damage to both their accommodation as well as their club supplied vehicle. Is it just me or is there a curse down at that club?

Reply #919966 | Report this post

GoodSoup  
Last year

Abrom has not left.

Reply #919972 | Report this post

Groote  
Last year

Men's The Run Home

1. Rockingham
The defending National Champs all but guaranteed the minor premiership in 2023 sitting 2 games clear with just an away game to Warwick to round out their regular season.
Pred Finish: 1st

2. Geraldton
An absolutely crucial double header for the Buccaneers to round out their regular season, with a danger game Friday night at Mirrabooka vs the Eagles followed by a game at Willetton lunchtime Saturday with that result having huge Top 4 / Semi Final Home Court advantage implications for both respective sides.
Pred Finish: 3rd

3. Perry Lakes
Have Game of the Week rights as they clash with the Wolves at Bendat Friday night. Hold the H2H over the Buccaneers by +1 so a win here for the Hawks and Geraldton losing at least one of their double header, would see Perry Lakes slide up to second.
Pred Finish: 2nd

4. Willetton
Arguably the biggest two games in Coach Nener's tenure at the Tigers. They have H2H over the Hawks, so two wins this weekend would see them guaranteed a move up to at least third. They currently trail the Buccaneers -22 on H2H margin following their loss in Geraldton earlier this year so for the Tigers to take 2nd place, it will take a herculean like effort on Saturday to bridge that gap and pounce on second place. The predicted win over the Slammers on Friday night down at Eaton will secure a top four finish
Pred Finish: 4th

5. Perth
Have been up and down more than the proverbial yo-yo since the addition of Okwera. When they put it together they can beat anyone, but when they're not on the same page it's downright ugly. Should have enough to take care of the Giants on Saturday, with Goldfields season over and done with come Saturday night.
Pred Finish: 5th

6. Joondalup
For a team that has very much put the horse in front of the cart this season in terms of heavy recruiting and not much junior / local development whatsoever in their NBL1 program, any finish outside of the top four if not top two was always going to be frowned upon by locals and outside supporters alike. Must win against Hawks if they want to guarantee an Elimination Final at HBF next weekend
Pred Finish: 6th

7. Warwick
One scorer short of being a genuine contender this year and it's shown. Elliott has been a standout yet again but it's their limited inside presence outside of Davis up against a huge Flames frontcourt which will likely see the Senators stick to seventh place and a winner takes all battle with their northern neighbours in the Wolves
Pred Finish: 7th

8. Lakeside
Can't finish any higher or lower than 8th, then it's just a waiting game to see who will host their elimination final next week. Armour and Mackenzie make up one of the best backcourt duos in the league but they need some consistent inside presence if they are to make an it past the first week of the finals

Predicted Qualifying Finals
Rockingham vs Willetton
Perry Lakes vs Geraldton

Pred. Elimination Finals
Perth v Lakeside
Joondalup vs Warwick

Reply #920156 | Report this post

koberulz  
Last year

Isn't the tiebreaker percentage, not head to head?

Reply #920160 | Report this post

Dire Frisbee  
Last year

H2H first, % in the case of a three way tie. Genuinely don't know why NBL1 isn't just straight % to be honest, especially given not everyone plays each other twice, or is that the justification?

Men's - still Flames to lose, surely? Perry Lakes showed their inability to adjust against the other top 2 contenders the past 2 games. Some serious questions must be asked at the top of the freeway by Wolves, loaded up on bought talent, still no stand out juniors coming through so what next for the Wolfpack? Almost ditto for Nix and the Redbacks, no local talent and nothing coming through their junior program to show any hope outside of a chequebook going forward. Buccs just keep getting it done, wouldn't be surprised to see a 2022 grand final rematch to decide 2023.

Women's - smart money says Cougars, but TT's group have been shown up by better coaches with lesser squads, and not by a little, 20+ for both losses. Mandurah and Willo certainly won't be intimidated by TT and his chequebook come play-offs. A left field prediction, Cougars out in straight sets and either a Mandurah/Willo or Willo/Senators GF to settle 2023.

Reply #920188 | Report this post

koberulz  
Last year

I thought it got changed to percentage when it became NBL1, but I think I might've confused it with the West Coast Classic?

Reply #920190 | Report this post

GoodSoup  
Last year

hahahahahha Dire Frisbee should change their name to hypocrite if thats possible

Interesting you have not once mentioned Flames women or Tom Knowles open chequebook. Which tells this forum you are either a) dumb or b) from Flames. Rocko have lost 5x games and recruited a whole team soooooo it actually might be a bit of column a) and b) for you

To get on Cockburn when they spent their first 10 games with two imports the only diff from last year is also interesting. Someone with an axe to grind against TT me thinks. Their women also in champ final this weekend and I am sure the reason for that is either chequebook or some other thing Dire dreams up. Cougars could do whatever they want and Dire will find something.

Reply #920191 | Report this post

Dire Frisbee  
Last year

Nawww, poor GoodSoup gone bad. Plenty offered and all just opinion. Cockburn not targeted, plenty said on others, not mentioning Flames women somehow the gauge of a) being dumb or b) from Rocko, hardly. The defence of "the family" though, clearly either one of TT's many accounts on here, or an indoctrinated member of the cult of family. Read it for what it is, Flames women nowhere near contention hence no comment offered. Cockburn champ women in GF, all that recruiting from other wabl clubs paying off (the junior version of bought not built). How many career Cockburn juniors are in that team? Developed from u12 through? Hmmm?
I stand by my assessment and only time, not smarts, will tell.

Reply #920194 | Report this post

koberulz  
Last year

"They provide development pathways that appeal to people, leading them to choose to join the club" is the weirdest criticism.

Reply #920196 | Report this post

GoodSoup  
Last year

LOL Dire Frisbee definitely has a TT axe to grind

Also loves a chequebook reference but forgets Rocko and Gero men (his love children) have the 1st and 4th biggest budgets in the league.

Reply #920201 | Report this post

koberulz  
Last year

Given teams no longer play each other twice, is there any reason for the men and women to play a different number of games?

Reply #920643 | Report this post

radar  
Last year

koberluz - geraldton dont have a womens team ? is this the reason for uneven games

Reply #920651 | Report this post

koberulz  
Last year

But given teams no longer play all other teams twice, you could just give the women an extra game against a team they'd otherwise only play once, right? They already have to do that for men's teams that only play Gero once.

Reply #920670 | Report this post

wildcat  
Last year

Dire Frisbee gone quiet where you at

Reply #921038 | Report this post

Dire Frisbee  
Last year

Still here Wildcat, nothing of note has happened recently though. Big budgets of the Men's and Women NBL1 shining through, not much else to report. Why, what are you seeing?

Reply #921077 | Report this post

GoodSoup  
Last year

LOL grab the popcorn

Reply #921086 | Report this post

Dire Frisbee  
Last year

Come on Soup, surely you can do better? Two questions for you then:

1) Do you have an opinion or are you just an agitator?
2) Was it really worth creating another anonymous account just to do this?

@Wildcat, nice to know you were thinking of me, where's your analysis?

Reply #921136 | Report this post

wildcat  
Last year

Just wondering what you think about big budget Rockingham going out on both sides? Is Bevo taking Tom Knowles job

Of the remaining 4 clubs who will you criticise most for having a big budget?

Will you say something nice about Cockburn or Joondalup?

What are your predictions for the weekend?

Will you stop talking about big budgets now that it's the normal for top 6 teams? Or are you from East Perth ?

So many questions

Reply #921468 | Report this post

Andrew  
Last year

Being a Wolves fan I'm hoping they can win. They have certainly found some form at the right time. Bryan Michaels has been nursing a foot injury and was iced up after the game against Rockingham. Muo wasn't at the game at all... not even on the sidelines. I'm hoping we was just ill.

It's going to be a ripper game.... and a noisy one with the 2 loudest fanbases in the West.

Reply #921469 | Report this post

radar  
Last year

The buccs to win by 10 - really should have won last season. best backcourt in the competition .
the tigers to win in a close won . this will be decided by which team can shut down the opposition stars in moterson and sharp, they might even guard each other

There are a few coaches that fell short of expectations and their respective clubs may look at closely.

Goldfields giants - scott manton , yes rookie coach but cmon they should have made finals. this club looks east for players it might be time to look east for a coach - look at the wolves, lakeside.

rockingham flames - tom knowles has been given quality squads year in , year out but cannot deliver . nice guys finish last

joondalup women- Marcus wong great squad on paper but has turned a number of talented players into robots to allow the american duo to do their thing - time to go mr wong .

just my opinion!!! good luck to all of those big budget teams. you have to spend money to make money .

Reply #921494 | Report this post

Boomer  
Last year

Very interesting playoffs series

congrats to the wolves and buccs on advancing through to the GF

Rockingham led the ladder all year barring only a couple of rounds. To get knocked out by the 6th seed has to be disappointing considering the roster they have. Nelson going for 6pts on 2-11 shooting and beard going 0-4 from the floor for 0 points dents their chances. but they still have more than enough firepower there. I wasnt at the game but by all accounts it was a barn burner for the spectators to watch

My pick is Buccs by 18.

The discussion around coaches in the hot seat throws up a few thoughts.
Goldfields i agree were underperfomers. Eagles also. Both rookie coaches and will be interesting to see if their respective clubs give them a second year to continue finding their footing.
Warwick have moved quickly already to put out expressions of interest in their mens position.
Redbacks underperformed for the most part with the roster they had. cant see them not giving nix another year though.
Lakeside snuck into 8th position but didnt really find their full potential this year. Again, cant see Lakeside not giving Malat another year.
Hawks is an interesting one. Best coach in the competition. had his team in 1st or 2nd place for nearly the entire regular season but faltered at the end of regular season dropping 3 straight and were a non event in their 2 playoff games. They didnt have any key outs or injuries. Its not parsons-like to end a season like that. Hopefully they allow him the opportunity to come back next year and with the addition of a few recruits be challenging again.
I dont think the coaching staff at Slammers or Magic can take much blame for their performances when their rosters were just not at the required level. Slammers in particular. they need a complete new direction by the looks of it.

Reply #921515 | Report this post

Drexler  
Last year

Is it Kayo or NBL 1 app for the final?

Reply #921516 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Last year

Damn, it didn't take long for the Wolves to make yet another Grand Final after the last dynasty ended followed by COVID interruptions and despite an average regular season.

AHWOO!

Reply #921520 | Report this post

koberulz  
Last year

The Wolves losing in the grand final is tradition at this point, it feels weird any year it doesn't happen.

Reply #921523 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Last year

Wolves are coming in as a #6 seed though, so there's nothing to lose.

They've eliminated #1 and #3; win this one and the top three have all choked. It's nice playing the spoiler for once, how times have changed.

Reply #921535 | Report this post

Bored  
Last year

Congratulations to the Wolves knocking off Rockingham in Rocko no small feat.
Perthworld, as a fan does it bother you that they are bringing in a mostly new team each year with new players? No consistency year to year outside of Wellstead as a wolves lifer? Cant argue with the success just wonder about the fans thoughts

Reply #921580 | Report this post

Karen  
Last year

Interesting playoffs that we have had. Can Wolves pull off an underdog win against the buccs, which feels weird as wolves were never the underdog before. Both teams are stacked with good players, obviously wolves bought a whole new roster but has seemed to work but if they dont win will they bring the team back,because I dont see them playing juniors. Buccs have been tough whole year and pretty sure they split both games when they played eachother.

Reply #921581 | Report this post

West Whisper  
Last year

Let's go Tigers. Please beat TT.

Reply #921633 | Report this post

koberulz  
Last year

Hawks is an interesting one. Best coach in the competition. had his team in 1st or 2nd place for nearly the entire regular season but faltered at the end of regular season dropping 3 straight and were a non event in their 2 playoff games. They didnt have any key outs or injuries. Its not parsons-like to end a season like that. Hopefully they allow him the opportunity to come back next year and with the addition of a few recruits be challenging again.
Parsons has officially stepped down.

Reply #921637 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Last year

Perthworld, as a fan does it bother you that they are bringing in a mostly new team each year with new players? No consistency year to year outside of Wellstead as a wolves lifer? Cant argue with the success just wonder about the fans thoughts

Yes you're spot on, it's hard to buy in nowadays due to this, especially compared with how there was a core group of local players for so long pre-COVID. To be honest with you my focus faded big time this season as it felt like an ordinary campaign with the change in faces hard to invest in and now all of a sudden they're in a Grand Final. It's super random.

Playoffs in professional basketball should consist of series rather than one-off games although I understand there are time considerations.

Reply #921691 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Last year

Congratulations Buccaneers.

Reply #921856 | Report this post

wildcat  
Last year

Dire frisbee still waiting from you

Why so quiet

Reply #921871 | Report this post

CRAYFISH  
Last year

Expect some changes at Rockingham on the men's side this off-season.

Jervis possibly calling it quits
Who knows with Devondrick, will go where the best $$$ are
Durnin wants more opportunities
Younger guys also looking to explore elsewhere

Just the usual rumours perhaps, but winning it all covers a lot of these cracks that appear when you don’t win

Reply #921873 | Report this post

Iso24  
Last year

Congrats to the Buccs on the mens GF win, almost a carbon copy of their 2022 GF loss to the Flames. There locals in Narkle Hunt and Ralph were huge and being from the Country with all the extra travel and the impact it has on the squad, makes what they have currently achieved even more special IMO.

Reply #921887 | Report this post

Dire Frisbee  
Last year

@wildcat - nothing new to comment on. $$ got it done. It is nice to know you're thinking of me though. Genuinely thought you'd be focussed on this upcoming weekend though, do the $$ thrown at nbl1 stand up against full strength East Coast teams? I also notice you're 2nd profile (ergo "alter ego" Good Soup) made reference to the $$ spent by Geraldton too earlier in the year. So yes, you're correct top 4 were all big spenders, so is that the answer? No genuine local development, what was it you, or your alternate profile said about Nix, that applies to all top 4 for both men and women, "bought not built"?

Reply #922046 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:26 pm, Sun 28 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754