McBlurter
Last year

NBL1 National Championships 2023 - Joondalup

Championship to be held in WA, Joondalup specifically.

https://nbl1.com.au/news/nbl1-national-final-joondalup-bound

Noticing the NBL1 site, there is no 'wildcard' conference, it may pay heed to the speculation this years make up will be the 5 title winners, plus the defending champions (or Rockingham win again for example, then perhaps NBL1 west runner up, or minor premier ?).

Joondalup is surprise selection ahead of Bendat.

Topic #51110 | Report this topic

McBlurter  
Last year

OK, later in the article...

""With the 2022 National Champions, Rockingham and Warwick, coming from NBL1 West, it makes sense to give them the opportunity to defend their crowns in their home state."

Reply #917567 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Last year

Lame, no atmosphere once again like last year, keep it at the home venues of the actual finalists.

Reply #917568 | Report this post

Drexler  
Last year

Since it's 5 minutes from my house I'm all for this

Reply #917571 | Report this post

Sebastian  
Last year

Too expensive to play at individual home venues

Reply #917572 | Report this post

koberulz  
Last year

Not to mention it would turn it into a weeks-long tournament, add all sorts of venue hire issues...

Reply #917573 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Last year

Who's gonna turn up to a vic / qld final in Joondalup. 2 teams making money for another association with no atmosphere. It’ll change eventually, the finals should go to the associations that actually qualified.

The finals at knox, dead, I was there. No one gave a toss about Warwick or Rockingham winning. If it was played at those associations, they would have full crowds, a great atmosphere and make some coin, a nice reward for a successful team.

Reply #917574 | Report this post

Sebastian  
Last year

Refer above. It would be great if this was the NBA and we could afford that

Reply #917576 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Last year

It's kind of a slap in the face hosting this at Joondalup considering the competition didn't exist for them to participate in during their dynasty. AHWOO!

Reply #917594 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Last year

You got to break it down for me seb.

Please list the costs involved in sending 12-16(6-8W / 6-8M) teams(from the other 4 conferences) to Perth by plane, + the travel, food and accomodation costs for a week.

Vs

Half the teams travelling to the highest ranked teams association in 1/4s, semis and finals.
That's 8-10 teams travelling in different directions, possibly by plane, some in own state by bus or to another close by state in the 1/4s. Only 4 teams travelling in semis and only 2 in the final. Just 1 day stay, food, bus.

I think the latter may only be slightly more expensive but with the added benefit of bigger crowds and $$$ going to the higher ranked associations.

Reply #917601 | Report this post

Ben  
Last year

I'd be more concerned about whether NBL teams will pull their players away from the finals again. Last year was completely laughable and not representative of rosters teams had for their conf titles.

Reply #917603 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Last year

Absolutely.

Reply #917604 | Report this post

Really!!!  
Last year

The issue isn't the overall cost, but rather than cost for a specific team from places like WA and SA or Far North QLD. If a team from SA or WA had to travel three weekends, say to QLD, NSW and Tas, it would send them broke. There have been instances in the past where some clubs have been unable to attend due to finances and have had other team take their spot.

Same as for national championships, here there is an equalisation process where all players pay the same price for flights, even those who are playing at home and not travelling. Otherwise for an athlete playing every year from WA compared to a similar athlete from VIC or NSW for example, would be outlaying a significantly higher amounts.

Reply #917605 | Report this post

Really!!!  
Last year

And again for those uninitiated, SA clubs don't generally generate incomes from their home stadiums, and don't all even have domestic competitions to profit from.

Reply #917606 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Last year

Then why are they in nbl1? Stick to the local state league.
If the association cannot afford to send 1 or 2 teams to another state 2, rarely 3 times a year, no business being in nbl1. The probability of winning through to the final and having to travel interstate every time is slim. A cost the nbl1 could possibly cover in the future.

Reply #917607 | Report this post

Really!!!  
Last year

Than you don't have a national championship.

Reply #917608 | Report this post

koberulz  
Last year

I'd be more concerned about whether NBL teams will pull their players away from the finals again. Last year was completely laughable and not representative of rosters teams had for their conf titles.
COVID caused the entire NBL1 season to be delayed by about a month last year, the plan was always for National Championships in August as they are this year. Last year's ended up in September.

I kept saying this last year and was told I was delusional.

Reply #917609 | Report this post

Sebastian  
Last year

NBL1 is the local state league.

Reply #917610 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Last year

The league below nbl1... state leagues, wabl senior, waratah, big v etc etc

Reply #917612 | Report this post

GF22  
Last year

There is no league below NBL1 other than senior district and senior social comps.
SA has one city wide metro comp - The BSA District Comp which is Juniors and Seniors. The 10 NBL1 clubs are the only teams that can be in Div1&2 while other community clubs can enter teams in lower divisions but generally don't.
The uni's etc field senior teams but not many.
Of the 10 District NBL1 clubs, 5 are based out of BSA managed stadiums and 4 of them have their own domestic comps.
Of the other 5 they are in schools or community venues where they generally cannot control the centre - 3 of them operate a domestic comp.
SA Metro has a completely different model to the association model operated in other states.
The state organisation runs the district comp with in most cases a club run junior domestic comp as a feeder comp.
My understanding is the player affiliation fees in SA are much lower than other states.

Reply #917613 | Report this post

Sebastian  
Last year

Refer above. There is only one

Reply #917616 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:39 pm, Sun 28 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754