Cram
Last year

NBA off season

The first big move of the NBA off season has happened. Bradley Beal to the Suns for CP3 and a bag of chips.

I dont like this for anyone. The Suns are going to have $160m committed to 4 guys who are all injury risks and dont defend.

The Wizards missed their window to get some real value for Beal a year or two ago. They would have been better off just to let Beal go for nothing last off season or facilitate a sign and trade. Now they;re on the hook for CP3s contract. Really should have just let him walk and blow the rest of the team up to get into the Wemby sweepstakes.

Topic #51164 | Report this topic

Isaac  
Last year

Crazy to have given him a no-trade clause. Just can't see how that couldn't have been avoided.

Reply #918769 | Report this post

LV  
Last year

I don't like the Suns chances. Plenty of firepower but not convinced they'll have the right balance or mix.

After news arose that Paul would get bought out, I assumed he would end up on a contender, like other great point guards at the end of their careers- Gary Payton (title with Miami), Jason Kidd (title with Dallas), Steve Nash (although that one didn't work out). But with his contract intact that wasn't going to happen. A bit sad, as he's had so many playoff campaigns ruined by injury. I would've liked seeing him nursed through the season and coming off the bench for a contender in the playoffs.

Reply #918773 | Report this post

Cram  
Last year

Washington still may buy out CP3, they'll just have to pay the full amount (or close to it) instead of the 15m. I cant imagine they get anything out of keeping him on the roster.

And yeah that no trade clause was just terrible. This was always going to happen. Surely being the only team that could offer $250m was enough leverage?

Reply #918774 | Report this post

Isaac  
Last year

Porzingis to Boston
Smart to Memphis

Seems like a good move for the Grizzlies? Upgrades from Brooks.

Are Boston planning to get a guard or run with Brogdon and White?

Reply #919003 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Last year

OMG.

How can Boston trade Smart?

His defence sets the tone much like KG used to do.

And for Porzingis when they already have Horford and Time Lord?

This is a backwards move.

Reply #919005 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Last year

Celtics got 2 first round picks from Memphis too.

Reply #919009 | Report this post

Isaac  
Last year

Another notable move: Jordan Poole to tank-command the Wizards, while Chris Paul bolsters the win-now Warriors.

Reply #919030 | Report this post

LV  
Last year

Starting from the 2015-16 season (Smart's 2nd season), Boston has been rated, defensively:

4th
13th
1st
7th
4th
14th
2nd
3rd

They've now traded the glue guy of the team.

Having said that, if they can add the right 3rd guard into the mix to replace Smart, they'll be right in the mix again.

Reply #919032 | Report this post

LV  
Last year

I think their logic behind getting Porzingis is:

- Adding a scoring, shooting big guy into a team already loaded with weapons will make them unstoppable at the offensive end

- Robert Williams averages about 40 games a year in his 5 NBA seasons and Horford is 37

Does make sense, if they can get the right depth pieces to support White and Brogdon in the backcourt they'll probably start favourites for the 2023 title

Reply #919033 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last year

One and seven out of the French first division.

Reply #919034 | Report this post

Beantown  
Last year

Its tough to lose Smart, especially when they almost pulled off just Brogdon for Porzingis!

I think it will probably be worth it though, provided KP plays enough games. Horford and Rob Williams weren't going to get it done by themselves next season. KP gives the team badly needed depth in the front-court and also offers better shooting and low post scoring as well as good rim protection.

For those that remember the 2022 East Finals, Al Horford's 3 point shooting was a huge factor in them beating the Heat. In 2023, Horford didn't have any legs left and shot horribly from three against the Heat, so he wasn't able to draw Bam out of the paint and open things up for the Jays.

KP should solve that problem for the Celtics, so I think he makes them favourites in the East again now.

The Celtics could just run with White, Brogdon and Pritchard in their backcourt, possibly giving JD Davison some extra opportunities as well. They could always add someone during the season if they need to, but they won't have a lot of money to throw at anyone, so I'd be happy to see some growth from within.

Reply #919065 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Last year

To summer league

Confirmed
Cooks - wizards
Waardenburg - timberwolves
Pinder - suns
Travers - cavaliers
Gallloway - timberwolves
More to come

Likely
King - pacers
White - nuggets
Daniels - pelicans

Reply #919066 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Last year

Sotto - Magic

Reply #919068 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:58 am, Thu 2 May 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754