Maley
Froling
Garbin
Scherf

Topic #51189 | Report this topic

Luuuc  
Last year

First game sees the Tall Ferns beat Korea 66-64
Davidson 24 & 10, Leger-Walker 20, Reed 14 & 11, (rest of team: 8 pts)
Bozxscore

Reply #919113 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Last year

2nd game commentary, Julia needs to calm down.

Reply #919114 | Report this post

QuokkaWoylie  
Last year

Are all the games on kayo or just Opals?

Really good opening win for NZ. They're set up well now.

Reply #919119 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Last year

Just opals, other games on courtside.

Reply #919120 | Report this post

+  
Last year

got the recorder set ! go Opals !

Reply #919121 | Report this post

NBLTigers  
Last year

I'll be watching, have to make top 4 Opals.
Can’t believe they haven’t won gold yet.

Reply #919122 | Report this post

hoopie  
Last year

I didn't see the NZ win coming - great result for them and us

Reply #919124 | Report this post

SP  
Last year

I'll be watching, have to make top 4 Opals.
Can't believe they haven’t won gold yet.

They never send full strength squads and China and Japan are quality teams.

Reply #919125 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Last year

Not sure why ba didn't request Melbourne and George who barely play in the wnba.
Han and Meng got released and were major contributors today.

Reply #919127 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Last year

De Jesus destroying Madgen atm.
Hard to see the opals keepin up with quicker teams.

Reply #919130 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Last year

Melbourne is averaging 11.6 mpg for Seattle. She'd be mad to pass up that experience in her rookie season for the sake of Asia Cup.

In George's case it's arguable that it would benefit both her and the Aces for her go get some meaningful game time.

Good opportunity for Scherf & Garbin to step up though. It's not like they aren't capable players.

Reply #919131 | Report this post

QuokkaWoylie  
Last year

So tall against Philippines with any combo of Kunek/Garbin/Bibby/Scherf on the court.

Reply #919133 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Last year

This is so boring and uncompetitive, needs a fly kick or two.

Reply #919134 | Report this post

+  
Last year

1st time out by Phillipines in first quarter was of concern - they looked beaten - you could see it in their faces. At least they clawed back a bit in 2nd

Reply #919135 | Report this post

Wnblfan  
Last year

Biggest surprise.. The amount of defence Shyla played tonight!

Reply #919136 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Last year

El capatano has got to be better. Everyone else solid v phillipines.

Reply #919137 | Report this post

SP  
Last year

Hard to tell how good the Opals really were given the significant talent disparity, but they shot well from the outside at least. I agree Madgen looked slow, but at least we could sic Nicholson onto DeJesus and that worked pretty well.

Reply #919138 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Last year

Yeah soon as they swapped Nicholson for Madgen on de Jesus, she couldn't score.

Surprised they are playing Garbin and Scherf together and Froling being the big off the bench.

Still think they did Swain and Bunton dirty.
Another shooter and legit big to backup scherf.

Reply #919139 | Report this post

Cosmo Spacely  
Last year

Put Wallace, Whitcomb and Melbourne back in the team and its hard to find a spot for Madgden.

Reply #919140 | Report this post

QuokkaWoylie  
Last year

Not to pile on but especially when you have the likes of Reid/Rocci/Heal backing up and those coming through in a couple of years we are going to have lots of options in the guard positions.

But she's clearly the leader on the team at AC right now with the most experience and is well liked. That goes a long way. Not to mention didn't play most of last season so bound to be some rust.

Good to get first win out of the way and plenty of playing time for everyone. Knockout matches will be most interesting there.

Reply #919142 | Report this post

Gazee  
Last year

Perthworld even the lord and saviour sir Kai sotto wouldn't have saved them lol

Reply #919144 | Report this post

Shotblocker  
Last year

Weedy Slug
Yesterday

Yeah soon as they swapped Nicholson for Madgen on de Jesus, she couldn't score.

Surprised they are playing Garbin and Scherf together and Froling being the big off the bench.

Still think they did Swain and Bunton dirty.
Another shooter and legit big to backup scherf.

Burton is done, she's like Madgen too injury prone to old to keep pace with the younger fitter bodies, and like,y put Tolo in that group too, it’s time for them to let these younger( compared to most tweaks they are t even that young) get a go.

Madgen isn’t a PG she never has been she’s just constantly pushed into that role, Wallaceand Heal will be the same, they don’t have a PG mentally

I still question Horvats inclusion, sure she scored but she looked way out of her depth and that was against a team of midgets compared to the opals line up.

Don’t think you can really gage how they are until they come up,against a team of better ability than that and some height.

Sherf looked very comfortable, about time she was given a chance,

Reply #919145 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Last year

Make Whitcomb captain. problem solved.

Reply #919146 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Last year

More competitive game, ran over them 2nd half.

Best performers so far Imo

#1 Scherf 12/11/3
#2 Garbin 12/5/1
#3 Kunek 10/7/3
#4 Froling 13/8/0
#5 Maley 8/11/1
#6 Rocci 9/4/5
#7 Heal 8/4/3,
#8 Horvat 10/2/0
#9 Nicholson 4/3/2
#10 Madgen 7/4/6
#11 Bibby 6/3/2
#12 Atwell 1/2/1

Reply #919154 | Report this post

Wnblfan  
Last year

I'd have Nicholson above Rocci in terms of defensive contributions. Rocci looked very tired and made a few questionable decisions both offensively and defensively tonight.

Reply #919155 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Last year

Nicholson has been playing good d, but has been invisible everywhere else.
Cant see her anywhere near the A team.

Atwell very shaky, missed layups, open shots, beaten off the dribble everytime, had butter fingeds 3-4 times. still don't get why she was chosen...

Reply #919156 | Report this post

SP  
Last year

Rocci is turnover prone - I thought that was well established. Still, prefer her playing the point rather than Heal who looks much better off the ball and in scoring mode. Madgen was pretty decent today. She managed to bully her way to the basket several times and looked better than yesterday. This team needs another guard (Swain!) but we have what we have.

Our frontcourt players should do well against all the other teams in this tournament (no Li Yueru for China really helps us), but it's how well our team defence performs against China's and Japan's offensive systems that will determine our final tournament placing.

Reply #919157 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Last year

Perthworld even the lord and saviour sir Kai sotto wouldn't have saved them lol

Mark my words that Sotto's future daughter(s) will avenge this loss.

Reply #919160 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Last year

A win vs Japan and we qualify for the semi + Olympic qualifiers, a loss and we likely play Korea in a must win game.

Reply #919162 | Report this post

hoopie  
Last year

Well, if we've had any concerns about going taller rather than faster, we’ll find out tonight how valid they were. I think we match up better against China than Japan.

Reply #919168 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Last year

Korea beating China at the moment, not good for us if we lose v japan.

Reply #919169 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Last year

Overtime.

Reply #919170 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Last year

Heal struggling v pressure once again and it takes Madgen 12 secs just to start the offense.

Reply #919172 | Report this post

Screeningnick  
Last year

It takes Madgen 20 seconds just to get it to the 3 point line.

Reply #919173 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Last year

A lot of deja vu about this so far.
I get that a team like that will go on some runs against us, but the 2nd quarter dry spell at the offensive end was particularly excruciating for me.

Reply #919174 | Report this post

hoopie  
Last year

Also disappointed that Japan were in foul trouble again in the second quarter, and our girls backed off instead of attacking the basket to go to the line.

Reply #919175 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Last year

Cant get it into the bigs, hardly anyone can dribble the ball and e dry time we try to spin out of trouble straight into a double team.

Reply #919176 | Report this post

SP  
Last year

The guards have looked overwhelmed and our offence hasn't been able to cope with Japan cranking up the defensive intensity. I don't mind losing, but we can play better than this.

Reply #919177 | Report this post

hoopie  
Last year

And I wish they'd set up some outside shots for Scherf when she’s starved of the ball inside.

Reply #919178 | Report this post

hoopie  
Last year

Finally Scherf gets her chance.

Reply #919179 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Last year

Seebohm sticking with the same offense, I don't get it.
Being carved up atm.

Reply #919180 | Report this post

koberulz  
Last year

And I wish they'd set up some outside shots for Scherf when she's starved of the ball inside.
I don't understand where this narrative comes from that she's a good outside shooter. 27% from three last WNBL season, 11% from three in NBL1 this year.

Reply #919181 | Report this post

hoopie  
Last year

Based on her shooting in the first game, KR.

Reply #919182 | Report this post

koberulz  
Last year

So a sample size of one game?

Reply #919183 | Report this post

hoopie  
Last year

If we lose to Korea, then what? Are we out of the Olympics?

Reply #919184 | Report this post

SP  
Last year

If we lose to Korea, then what? Are we out of the Olympics?

Yes.

Reply #919185 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Last year

Aus will play Korea if we lose this evening. Loser next game misses the Olympics. Winner faces China in the semi, a winnable game for aus with a few key players missing from the China squad.

Reply #919186 | Report this post

hoopie  
Last year

Korea must be feeling so confident right now, given the amount of WNBL-style ball the Opals are playing.

Reply #919187 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Last year

Really shocking coaching by Seebohm, just letting them get run over with no changes being made.

Reply #919188 | Report this post

SamCro  
Last year

Unfortunately too many offensively selfish players picked for Opals i.e. Maley, Bibby, Kunek & Nicholson where making the extra pass is foreign to them. Defensively we're a complete mess & can’t contain anyone off the dribble & our help principles are non existent! It will be a shameful day in Australian Basketball History if we can’t qualify for the Olympics...

Reply #919189 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Last year

Qualify for the Olympic qualifiers.... 16 teams next stage. Cut to 12 for Olympics.

Reply #919190 | Report this post

SP  
Last year

Korea don't have as much talent as Japan nor are they as well coached, but they do play a similar style. Our team defence needs to be a lot better and our perimeter players need to be sharper on offence, especially the ballhandlers. Hopefully this game acts as a reminder to not be complacent and we see a much improved Opals on Friday.

Reply #919191 | Report this post

hoopie  
Last year

Credit Japan for aggressive defence, quality shooting, constant motion, unselfish and frequent and effective passing, ....

And they had fun and played relaxed and confident. The better team clearly won.

Our squad seems to have been picked to match up with China, and assuming our size would overwhelm Korea and Japan, which strikes me as a bit disrespectful to both.

Reply #919192 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Last year

'A' team possible

Rocci - 2nd/3rd choice PG, others available like Melbourne / Reid / Amoore
Kunek - 3rd choice SF if injury to Talbot, Allen, Blicavs
Garbin - potential 3rd choice PF behind Magbegor / Smith
Scherf - backup C at best once Tolo / George retire

Not making A team ever imo

Heal
Madgen
Nicholson
Atwell
Maley
Horvat
Bibby
Froling

Reply #919193 | Report this post

ACG45  
Last year

What's with the opals playbook? Haven’t learnt a thing all these years against Japan. Try mixing up the D with a 3:2 zone or choosing a small ball side to match up.
No just run the same crappy stagnant offense.
Credit to Japan all the same. They knew we’d play the way we did.

Reply #919194 | Report this post

SP  
Last year

I don't think any combination of our B team is good enough to beat Japan. They are a very well coached and well drilled outfit with shooters everywhere. They should win their sixth consecutive Asia Cup.

I think the Opals still have a shot at second if they can pull it together. Sure Korea took China to OT but let’s not forget they lost to New Zealand. China are looking vulnerable.

Reply #919195 | Report this post

NBLTigers  
Last year

I get annoyed the Opals don't change it up against Japan. It’s always the same old stuff against them.

Just mix it up, play 3-2 zone to stop the 3pt shooting. If they lose to Korea does that mean the Opals can’t qualify for the France Olympics?

Pressure is on now.

Reply #919197 | Report this post

';'  
Last year

Seebohm can't coach. Same message in every timeout with no direction on what they actually needed to change or fix through the game ...

Reply #919211 | Report this post

Pinch  
Last year

I went to the game and early in the 4th he stood and stared across the court at Lono, Stirling and the BA brain trust. Maybe he knew was out of his depth and was just checking to see if they were thinking the same. That second half was bad. No adjustments in O or D schemes and subs in the 4th were nonexistent

Reply #919226 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Last year

Lonergan and Stirling in the stands with a clipboard, you see them in the stands every tournament.

I feel bad for Seebohm, like I said previously, he did not choose the side on his own.

Reply #919227 | Report this post

hoopie  
Last year

Perhaps Seebohm knew the limitations of those he had, and that it wouldn't have mattered a rat’s arse what he asked for because he wouldn’t get it. He would have had every right to be pissed off at the BA top brass for what he had to put up with.

Reply #919228 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Last year

Bad luck that both Reid and Tolo got injured prior to the cup. Both would have been s5 under Seebohm. Rumours Mangakahia was going to be selected. Atwell and Horvat late ins that would not have been selected. Borlase and Puoch always going to miss for u19 WC.
Swain too young for sandy it seems. Bunton the only other to miss.

Possibly...
Reid / Heal or Rocci or both / Mangakahia
Madgen / ?
Kunek / Maley / Bibby
Garbin / Froling
Tolo / Scherf

Likely heal or Rocci playing off guard at times.

Reply #919231 | Report this post

SP  
Last year

Reid, Tolo and Mangakahia all would have helped this team big time IMO. We have what we have though and we only need to win this one game against Korea.

Reply #919239 | Report this post

Cosmo Spacely  
Last year

There is nothing that happens in the Opals that does not happen without Stirling's approval or direction.

Reply #919242 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Last year

Lebanon beat Chinese Taipei in a thriller to put them in division B.

Reply #919274 | Report this post

hoopie  
Last year

Will Guy Molloy finally prove himself to the doubters on this forum by coaching NZ to a win and a semi-final spot?

Reply #919276 | Report this post

+  
Last year

I feel we need to play very tight on the player defence on Japan. Playing high in the passing lanes is good but Japan are better on the back cut and too fast with their motion offence (they have been doing this for a while). We need to have mega hard working defence rotations onto the 3 point line. They just get the 5 on 4 player advantage after getting past our first player.

Reply #919281 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Last year

Nz are always 4 or 5 placing.
Win v China, Japan or Aus and I'll give molloy some credit.

Reply #919285 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Last year

Would be a good result for nz to make Olympic qualifiers but they would need a good draw to have a chance. Need Purcell back asap. Couple of other good players floating around.

Reply #919286 | Report this post

hoopie  
Last year

This is such a frustrating game to watch.

NZ are playing so slow and monotonous, to the point that even the commentators have said that NZ isn't looking for fast breaks, even when their half-court sets aren’t working. Philippines are at least showing energy and punishing the sloppy switching.

Neither side should be allowed anywhere near an Olympics.

Reply #919287 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Last year

83-78, nz face japan in semi and qualify as top 16 team for Olympic qualifiers.

Reply #919290 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Last year

Geez Louise.. get Madgen off.

Reply #919292 | Report this post

SP  
Last year

The Opals are playing a lot sharper than they were against Japan, but it helps that Korea's defence is not nearly as good as Japan's. Good first half and hoping for more of the same in the second.

Reply #919295 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Last year

Rocci been good, so too Garbin and Scherf.
Heal needs to take Madgens minutes.
Kuneks worst game so far.
Maley + Nicholson can't seem to get it done in internationals.

Reply #919296 | Report this post

SP  
Last year

Madgen is playing well tonight, Weedy, Give her some credit lol. Heal is playing well too. All the guards are much improved today.

Reply #919298 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Last year

Heal needs a few more minutes for sure.
Better 2nd half for sure by Madgen but she has given up 20 points on the other end.

Reply #919299 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Last year

Surely you woukd rest some players at the 4 min mark and put on Bibby, Horvat and maybe atwell.

Reply #919300 | Report this post

hoopie  
Last year

Agree, Weedy. Strange not to - no way was Korea going to catch up in that time.

Reply #919302 | Report this post

hoopie  
Last year

Anyway, nice that both Australia and New Zealand are going on from here.

Reply #919303 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Last year

Nz vs Japan
China vs Aus

Korea vs Phillipines for 5/6
Lebanon 7th
Chinese Taipei 8th relegated to Div B

Reply #919304 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Last year

Madgen is playing well tonight, Weedy, Give her some credit lol.

I think she can over Weedy's cat or something. Never anything but negativity about her, sadly.
She played very well last night.

Reply #919311 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Last year

You would have her on the A team luuuc?
Over who?

She was good in the second half running the show, like I said.
throughout the tournament though, for the opals-she has given up the most amount of points by some margin. Rewatch the game, she gave up 20 points to her man.
I like her as a person, has a lot of passion. Just have to watch the presser after to see that.
Still not in the best 12 imo, maybe being a good leader is good enough for some but Whitcomb could do the same + be a big contributor. Rocci has been better imo, why she is now in the s5.

Reply #919312 | Report this post

hoopie  
Last year

I'm looking forward to playing China tonight - I think we have a chance. NZ, on the other hand, I expect to really struggle against Japan.

Does making or winning the final give any advantage or seeding in the Qualifying tournament?

Reply #919313 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Last year

No, based on being amongst the top four countries in the FIBA World rankings and remaining there, which would mean being seeded in Pot 1 for the qualifying tournament (fading USA, China and Canada).

Reply #919317 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Last year

Japan already up by 22 in the first half.

Reply #919322 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Last year

You would have her on the A team luuuc?
Over who?

I don't see the relevance of this assumption/question to my previous post.
There's a high chance I wouldn't have her in my A team, but in THIS team based on who is available for THIS tournament she is more than worthy of being there on playing merit (which in itself is pretty remarkable given how much basketball she has missed in the last year. I was not expecting her to play such a large role), and by all reports she is also an excellent leader, which is especially important here with so many of the best and most experienced players being unavailable.

We know she's not your favourite and I get listing her outside the 12 when posting your preferred lineup for Paris or whatever, but crapping on her while we're all watching her leading the charge in a vital win is weird from someone who clearly knows their basketball.

--

Hoping the rocket up the team's collective arses that seemed to result from the Japan embarrassment can carry over into tonight's game.
I'm not loving the flat track bullies vibe that we have atm. A win in this one would go some way towards erasing that.

Reply #919323 | Report this post

hoopie  
Last year

Putting the question out there for those of you who are more experienced: is Molloy actually helping NZ by being there?

I've only seen the Philo and Japan games, but in each case I don’t think NZ is playing that well as a unit, much of which comes down to him. When I see NZ deliberately ignoring fast breaks and players free around the basket just so they can run their (not very effective) set plays, I wonder about the coaching. Similarly, when I see poor boxing out, sloppy screening and switching, and players left without passing options, again I wonder about the coaching.

HOWEVER, they beat Korea.

So I really don’t know whether I’m judging him harshly or what. Your thoughts?

Reply #919324 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Last year

I've been pretty clear that in every area of basketball(apart from exp and leadership), Swain imo is better than Madgen. Advanced stats show Madgen has been the worst defender on the opals team which is why I don’t give her praise. individually she is giving up more than adding too atm.
Seperate from her on court contributions, She is no doubt the leader of this team, not sure any other is captain material. How much does her leadership boost the team?, her team mates certainly think she is a good captain.
Question is
If she was left off the team and another like swain came in, would we be a better team?, I think yes.

Rocci coming into the s5 as pg and Madgen moving to the 2 was night and day compared to the previous games.

Reply #919325 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Last year

NZ can do better than Molloy.
Results under him have not been good nor terrible.
Is he growing the talent pool? Not really.
NZ basketball should back themselves, got plenty of quality coaches...

Reply #919326 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Last year

Offence is looking dysfunctional here early on. Everything is individual, and that suits virtually none of these players.

Reply #919327 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Last year

Maley has turned into flopper goulding.

Reply #919328 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Last year

Kunek has been real solid today.
Scherf though, missed so many bunnies...

Reply #919329 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Last year

Similar last game too, it just didn't hurt us much because we were dominating. Just can't afford to miss that many gimmes.

Good to see Kunek & Heal take the shackles off and let it fly early in the clock when the right look was there. Shooters need to have that green light.
Especially when not much else is happening offensively.

Reply #919330 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Last year

About what was expected from the opals this tournament.

Reply #919331 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Last year

Yep. For me, the positives have probably been Rocci looking more comfortable at this level, and Kunek confirming that she's still in the mix.
I think Garbin hasn't hurt her chances either, although Smith's WNBA form has.

Reply #919332 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Last year

After game 2

#1 Scherf 12/11/3
#2 Garbin 12/5/1
#3 Kunek 10/7/3
#4 Froling 13/8/0
#5 Maley 8/11/1
#6 Rocci 9/4/5
#7 Heal 8/4/3,
#8 Horvat 10/2/0
#9 Nicholson 4/3/2
#10 Madgen 7/4/6
#11 Bibby 6/3/2
#12 Atwell 1/2/1

After game 4

#1 Scherf 10/9/2
#2 Garbin 11/4/1
#3 Rocci 10/3/5
#4 Froling 11/7/0
#5 Kunek 9/4/2
#6 Heal 8/3/2
#7 Madgen 9/4/4
#8 Maley 6/8/1
#9 Nicholson 5/3/2
Not enough minutes after 5 games
#10 Horvat 6/1/0
#11 Bibby 3/2/1
#12 Atwell 0/1/0

After game 6 tomorrow vs NZ...
TBD

Reply #919333 | Report this post

SP  
Last year

Yeah, this is what I expected from the B Opals. China are too good - Li Meng and Han Xu are WNBA level talent and they have some quick role players who can knock down shots. We have too many players who are either not at the required talent level offensively or need more experience to play well against the better teams. Glad to see Kunek have a good game and Shyla Heal has impressed me in this tournament with her defence and scoring spurts.

Unfortunately, Maley and Nicholson can't score at this level and Madgen doesn't have the speed or shiftiness to compete against better teams. Garbin's spot will likely be taken by Alanna Smith, which is fair. I like Froling's work rate but her lack of size is a concern against better teams.

Reply #919334 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Last year

PARIS POOL IMO

Reid 1
Rocci 1
Amoore 1
Melbourne 2-1
Whitcomb 2-1
Wallace 2-1
Swain 2
Talbot 3-2
Kunek 3
Puoch 3
Allen 3-4
Blicavs 4-3
Garbin 4
Smith 4-5
Magbegor 4-5
George 5-4
Tolo 5

Off the list ftm imo
Heal 1
Mangakahia 1
Shelley 2-1
Madgen 2
Borlase 2
Nicholson 2
Atwell 3
Maley 3-4
Bibby 3-4
Horvat 3-4
Froling 4
Aokuso 5
Scherf 5
Jackson 5

Reply #919335 | Report this post

koberulz  
Last year

When I see NZ deliberately ignoring fast breaks and players free around the basket just so they can run their (not very effective) set plays,
The fewer possessions you have, the less the other team can outscore you. Pushing the pace benefits the better team. That's the principle the Aaron Fearne Taipans ran on for years.

Reply #919338 | Report this post

hoopie  
Last year

True, kr, but why would you ignore easy baskets like they sometimes seemed to do. Instead, they seemed to try too hard to go for the difficult ones by following the set play.

Reply #919340 | Report this post

SP  
Last year

I find it hard to assess New Zealand as a team because their offensive talent level falls off a cliff after Charlisse Leger-Walker, Tahlia Tupaea and Penina Davidson. I am still shocked they beat Korea but Korea don't play good D and NZ played well enough in that particular game to scrape by them.

From my observations over the years, I think Guy Molloy is an average to above average coach. He is not bad, but not that inspiring or exciting either. You can't question his results at this tournament though - he has exceeded expectations. A safe choice for the Sydney Flames after the wild Shane Heal years.

Reply #919344 | Report this post

hoopie  
Last year

The male commentator waffling on about Opals who have had good tournaments and staking a claim for Paris. What a joke. If they can only stand up when playing NZ without Tupea, and went missing against China and Japan ...

Speaking of Paris, Madgen will be there. Sandy will want her inspirational leadership.

Reply #919365 | Report this post

hoopie  
Last year

Will Madgen and Leger-walker actually be good enough to make the all-Tournament team? Or do you think the organisers will follow the politically correct line and include a player from each semi-finalist?

Reply #919366 | Report this post

QuokkaWoylie  
Last year

Really find the negativity on here strange, it's fine to be critical but quite unnecessary to be this down on something you voluntarily follow.

Most of these players will be better off for the experience, and will be interested to see how those coming back to WNBL perform. Theyre aiming for 2024 now, but 2028 side could look like anything.

Reply #919368 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Last year

After the tournament (6 games)

Ranking imo

#1 Kunek 12/4/2
#2 Garbin 10/4/1
#3 Scherf 9/8/2
#4 Rocci 9/3/4
#5 Froling 10/6/0
#6 Madgen 9/3/4
#7 Heal 8/2/2
#8 Maley 6/8/1
#9 Nicholson 4/2/1
#10 Horvat 4/1/0
#11 Bibby 3/2/1
#12 Atwell 0/1/0

All tournament team 5 of these 7 you'd think...

Yamamoto
Leger-Walker
Li
Kunek
Mawuli
Davidson
Han

Reply #919374 | Report this post

hoopie  
Last year

Tough call on the tournament team, Weedy.

I think Han is obvious, and Mawuli edges out Davidson, and whether you'd pick Kunek or Madgen is debatable, but dropping one of Li or Yamamoto to include Kunek and Leger-Walker???
For consistency over the whole tournament, I think Leger-Walker will get in but no Opals, even though it’s being played in Sydney.

Reply #919376 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Last year

If it's just from the medal teams...

Yamamoto - Japan
Li - China
Kunek - Australia
Mawuli - Japan
Han - China

Commentators talk though, could be
Madgen over Kunek
LegerWalker over davidson
Okoye over Mawuli

Reply #919378 | Report this post

hoopie  
Last year

Coach of the tournament has to be the Japanese coach. Obviously astute, but more so for the positivity and fun he brings into the team.

Reply #919382 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Last year

You know he was almost fired after the WC?

Reply #919383 | Report this post

hoopie  
Last year

Thanks for that info, Weedy. Because they came 9th and China 2nd, I assume.

Reply #919387 | Report this post

hoopie  
Last year

What a cracker of a game!!

Reply #919388 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Last year

Great game, would be good to see all the A teams against each other next asia cup, everyone missing a few, except Korea.

Reply #919394 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Last year

AS5

Han*
Li
Yamamoto
Kunek
Davidson

Reply #919396 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:39 pm, Mon 29 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754