Roy
Last year

Fiba U16 women's Asia cup

Is anyone able to tell me why lara somfai has not had any court time in either of the first two games ?
The only information I can find is 'coaches decision'.
She does not appear on the bench.

Topic #51232 | Report this topic

LC  
Last year

she is apparently unwell.

Reply #919945 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Last year

They need her for sure, team looks very chaotic under Garlepps reign.
Play like this v japan and we will get beaten badly.
Thrashing minnows and then playing china/japan etc is not ideal.

Reply #919947 | Report this post

Roy  
Last year

Thanks lc and weedy

Reply #919948 | Report this post

LC  
Last year

Australia have qualified for the U17 World Cup with a third straight win, this time over Syria.

Reply #919959 | Report this post

XyZ  
Last year

In time this team will be very good. Garlep is great coach and his record speaks for itself

Reply #919968 | Report this post

hoopie  
Last year

Are we expecting a tough game tonight, against China Taipei?

Reply #919971 | Report this post

LC  
Last year

Should be a 15+ win to the Sapphires IMHO

Reply #919973 | Report this post

Hoopstragic  
Last year

They should win easily against Taiwan, but haven't looked very organised as yet.

Reply #919975 | Report this post

Bluey  
Last year

sorry XyZ, what is Garlepp's coaching record? I know he played NBL.

Reply #919976 | Report this post

SixersFan  
Last year

Somfai playing against China Taipei

Reply #919977 | Report this post

BigD  
Last year

I know nothing about Garlepp as a coach.
But there's a serious problem with coaching in basketball in this country at the moment, state and national bodies keep hiring people who have never coached, but are an ex-player, and then installing them into high level coaching positions.

There's recent appointments such as Jenna O'Hea to the head of development for all of Vic Metro Women, a few NBL1 teams have gone down that path and seriously struggled.

Coaching is more than running a few sets and a few drills. I know hiring a former player looks good to the fans and public, but it's a disaster when it comes to performance and development.

Reply #919978 | Report this post

SixersFan  
Last year

Correction she doesn't look like she is warming up so I guess she isn't playing. Great for her to be out there with them though

Reply #919979 | Report this post

Bluey  
Last year

yep, that's why I'm asking BigD. It looks like he just stands there and yells at them

Reply #919980 | Report this post

Hooping  
Last year

Hall just hurt ankle.

Never seen such a low energy dispirited team Australian team. Half of them look like they want to be anywhere else but playing for Australia. #6 barely gets out of a walk or tries to rebound as one example. Players head in hands. Some really poor body language.

#12 has been one stand out.

maybe it is just the new generation of athletes, maybe it a poor selection of low energy players or lack of any player leaders.

Reply #919981 | Report this post

CoachGirl  
Last year

Tom has been coaching at NBL1 and state level for a few years now. His players always get better and it seems he has been recognised as an up and coming coach for a while. Pretty sure he won good at U20 Nationals in recent years. Think is going to be much more successful coach than he was as a player.

Reply #919982 | Report this post

SP  
Last year

Australia is up by 28 points at halftime against Chinese Taipei. I don't know why people are complaining about this.

#6 barely gets out of a walk or tries to rebound as one example.

She has 8 points and 5 rebounds at the half. Yeah, really low effort.

Reply #919983 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Last year

Next 2 games will be interseting, alot of eyes on the coach and players.
As hooping said, we look completely disinterested and disorganised.

Reply #919984 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Last year

Also odd that garlepp continues to play 6 players big minutes, (over 24 mins avg) and the rest under 13 when we are winning games by 40+.

Reply #919985 | Report this post

SP  
Last year

Australia wins 103-51 over Chinese Taipei.

I haven't seen the other games, but Australia did not look disinterested (74-30 rebounding advantage, 15 steals, 6 blocks) or even disorganised (34 assists on 44 FGs is impressive) against Chinese Taipei. My one criticism is that they missed *a lot* of layups - they could have easily scored 115-120 points if their finishing was better. Also some silly drives occasionally, but they're 16yos so you get that.

Perkins was very solid as lead guard, but I enjoyed watching Hodges the most with her energy and off-ball movement. Some very nice ball movement in offence. I hope Hall and Somfai are ok to go in the elimination rounds.

Reply #919986 | Report this post

Hooping  
Last year

I think that many of us have watched games at 16 Nationals and seen the intensity, passion, spirit and energy there, and then tune into these games and wonder where all that went. Even just watching some of the other teams play against each other and see the enthusiasm and joy.

Yesterday's game i could flick through the game reply and at least see #12 and #5 waving towels and smiling on the bench trying to set a standard. Lucky to see 1 smile in the whole of the game today. The lack of energy is crazy. There mustnt be much of a Victoria or Vic Metro influence on this team.

At one point the Aussies got a stop and the only 2 clapping where the medical staff standing up behind the bench.

#4 must be injured as she could make an effort to stand up or high 5 anyone.
#13 - was in tears within a second of hurting her ankle and got wheeled away. fingers crossed.
#8 - decided she was injured
#10 - looks like she doesn't want to be there, so it probably really lucky to get any court time.

#12 and #15 look like the only guards standing and #5 one of the few to play consistently hard at both ends. #15 seemed to be more comfortable in a 2 spot as struggled to play as a 1.

#6 looks like she might be a point guard who is playing out of position, and has no idea how or desire to play as a forward or is injured, as can make the reads, makes the passes, but often barely gets over half way, wont run a lane, defensive efforts in general poor. ie needs the ball in her hands. Don't mistake stats for effort as the overall effort was poor.

So suddenly only 7 or so are getting decent minutes. Certainly opportunities for those players who play hard.

The coach also has assistant coaches there as well, they could help lift the mood a little, they are the ones sitting on the bench, can talk to the players. If you are going to win by 50 may as well have some fun and enjoy the game, not enjoy that it was over. Onto the next game.

Reply #919987 | Report this post

SP  
Last year

So you're criticising the team and coaching staff over BODY LANGUAGE in a game they won by 50 points.

They looked perfectly fine to me with missed layups being the main issue. I'm not saying that there weren't problems in previous games (the Korea game looked messy in the second half) or that there won't be problems when playing China or Japan in medal round games, but I think it's really odd to review the team like this in a game they played well in and won very comfortably.

Reply #919988 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Last year

Got to agree with hooping, despite thrashing teams...,

We will get obliterated by Japan if the players don't bring some heart and hustle.

Not sure I’ve seen graham or Martin do anything the whole tournament.
Garlepp seems hella overated early on, not a fan of carr but she was getting much more effort out of the oceania side.

Reply #919989 | Report this post

SixersFan  
Last year

"I think that many of us have watched games at 16 Nationals and seen the intensity"

So if you watched Vic Metro or SA metro play Northern Territory every game what do you think the intensity would be like? Furthermore, doing it in front of no crowd.

#4 is sick hence why she wasn't standing up. She gave 5 constantly so I am not sure what game you watched.

#6 looked fine. 2nd best in +/-, 2nd best in efficiency.

Reply #919990 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Last year

Good luck to nz, hopefully they can beat China to make WC.
Alot of missing players so to qualify would be big for them.

Reply #919991 | Report this post

hoopie  
Last year

Kiwis doing well so far

Reply #919992 | Report this post

retired  
Last year

Garlepp and his wife are the golden childs of NSW Basketball.

Garlepp has won U20 Nationals when he had all the studs and then went from 1st to 4th the following year.

This team is terrible at finishing off especially with layup and around the basket.

Jackson has not improved either with moving to Norths where the Garlepps are.

She has always struggled to finish off around the basket and that is still the case.

Jess Hall is one of the studs in this team as she was at U16 Nationals last year.

Reply #919993 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Last year

Congratz to the kiwis, got it done with some big names out.
Getting a good post like mailei to play for nz over samoa has given them some frontcourt presence where before they had none over 6'0. Add sefo and a couple of others to this side next year and they should cause some problems.

Semis
Aus vs Nz
Japan vs Chinese Taipei

Reply #919994 | Report this post

SP  
Last year

Surprised at China flopping. Also, Korea missing out on the final four (in the easier group!). A minor shift in basketball power in this age group.

Reply #919997 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Last year

Taipei and Korea have always been pretty evenly matched.
China at youth level sucking but the senior team thriving.

Without Hall or Somfai, nz slight favourites?

Reply #919998 | Report this post

Interpreter  
Last year

Aus should still be favourites based on talent vs NZ, but I'm also not loving how the team is functioning.

Beating Japan seems all but out of the question.

Reply #920000 | Report this post

LC  
Last year

Seriously? The girls have comprehensively beaten everyone they have played to date. I would not be writing them off against anyone, let alone Japan.
Sheesh.

Reply #920004 | Report this post

Hoopstragic  
Last year

Australia's first 2 games looked pretty ordinary, but I thought that they played really well against Taiwan yesterday. Effectively without 2 of their best players, Somfai and Hall after her injury. I hope that Hall's injury is not too bad and she gets to play against her Bankstown team mate Mailei.

Reply #920005 | Report this post

Hoopstragic  
Last year

Interesting to see a number of Australians playing for other countries. (or at least Aust residents)
Mailei for NZ
Thompson for NZ
Hickey for NZ
Hippolyte NZ
Afualo for Samoa
C. Hiko for Samoa
L. Hiko for Samoa
Walshe for Samoa
Vickerman for Samoa
DeJesus for Phillipines (group B)

Reply #920006 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Last year

U15 OCEANIA
Carr
-
Lehmann - Perkins
Hall - Petrie
Taylor - Russell - Mead
Fagan - Hanson
Jackson - Crook
-
No 12th player selected

U16 ASIA
Garlepp
-
Perkins - Lehmann
Hall - Hodges - Aherne
Notoa - Russell
Taylor - Fagan
Crook - Jackson
-
No Somfai yet due to illness

U17 WORLD CUP
HC? Carr, Garlepp, someone else?
-
IMO
Perkins
Hall
Dakic > Lehmann
Seumanutafa > Aherne
Hodges
Taylor
Mead > Notoa
Russell
Somfai
Fagan
Crook
Jackson

Agree/Disagree?

Others you would have?
Eg
Gardiner, Bijkerk, Hanson, Corasaniti, Juffermans etc etc

Reply #920008 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Last year

We got 6-7 or so players on our team that could play with other nations, not all one way.

Reply #920009 | Report this post

UseTaHoop  
Last year

Hoopstragic

All the players you listed are playing for Samoa, New Zealand and one for Phillipines.

You only need to look at where immigrant workers have come from over the last decade. They're all most likely the kids of people working here, or have retained their nationality after migrating with their families. I don’t think Australia has any meaningful athletic recruitment programs for secondary school students.

If they stay in Australia, they will boost the "local" stocks in WNBL & WNBL1.

Reply #920010 | Report this post

Pinch  
Last year

Weedy I won't comment fully until after the finals but I would be changing a couple at this stage.

Reply #920011 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Last year

The 12 I would take (not who I think will be selected):

Perkins / Seumanutafa
Hall / Dakic
Hodges / Russell* / Mead*
Natoa / Fagan / Aherne*
Somfai / Gardiner

*Probably my last three picks, but there could well be a case for any of the following after training camp:

Lehmann
Taylor
Crook
Jackson

Reply #920017 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Last year

PlaymakerMo,
Geez no Taylor, no true centres(Crook/Jackson). Notoa a 6'0 pf(who is normally a guard) aherne a 6’0 pf(who is normally a guard), Hodges a small forward at 5’9(who is normally a guard), 6’2 combomforward Gardiner at centre, seumanutafa who is a sg playing more as a pg. Interesting squad and setup.

Reply #920018 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Last year

Weedy, I respect the knowledge you have of girls basketball, but can't help thinking you're not putting enough stock into the last 6 months of basketball.

Taylor (like a few others) has already been exposed defensively at AJCs and now this tournament, but these teams aren't skilled enough to translate those breakdowns into scoreboard pressure. She's also not hitting shots: 21% from three for the tournament on wide open shots, 29% at AJCs in April. I know this call is controversial, but other capable shooters are offering more to date. Hopefully she starts firing in the crossovers - she seems like a good kid.

What's wrong with Notoa or Aherne defending PFs (at 6'0) and playing like a guard offensively? That's also effectively how they're being played in this tournament, but everyone they're matching up on is 5'7 or shorter across the board... Both of them need to improve their outside shooting anyway (14% and 10% from three respectively).

Gardiner was debatably an equally effective post player as Crook or Jackson a year ago, let alone now coming off a dominant AJCs. Personally I don't care if she's a "true centre" because she's showing to be a better all-round player than both offensively, and appears to move very well defensively at 6'2. I don't see the downside.

Hodges has very clearly grown by looking at the team photos and game footage. Her wingspan and anticipation is also enabling her to start at SF for the past two games, so I'm not sure what the issue is here - maybe someone should let Garlepp know she's a "guard".

Seumanutafa as a PG or SG is just semantics: she can handle the ball against pressure and hasn't come across as a selfish player - just very capable of scoring. Dakic is more pass-first, so flip those two if it puts your mind at ease. Defensively, Dakic probably guards bigger out of the two though.

That's just my rationale.

Reply #920024 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Last year

Looks like hall is going to be out for sometime.

Reply #920025 | Report this post

SP  
Last year

Somfai is suited up for tonight's game.

Reply #920026 | Report this post

Hooping  
Last year

they look much sparkier tonight. Coaches have certainly put some time into a strategy.

Reply #920027 | Report this post

SP  
Last year

A bit sloppy early on. Impressed with Somfai's strong move to the basket. Hodges has been the best player so far for Australia.

Reply #920028 | Report this post

Hooping  
Last year

Hodges set the standard, terrific.

Great to see Somfai out there, talented.

Effort and intensity 100% improvement. Crashing boards, running lanes. Defense has been top notch.

Just those few sloppy guard turnovers as mentioned above.

Reply #920029 | Report this post

SixersFan  
Last year

"they look much sparkier tonight. Coaches have certainly put some time into a strategy."

No it is because they are playing a team that can actually play

Reply #920030 | Report this post

SP  
Last year

lol they're playing similar to yesterday against Chinese Taipei. They haven't magically improved overnight.

A few too many turnovers, but the defence is very good.

Reply #920031 | Report this post

LC  
Last year

Exactly. The standard has lifted - they are finally playing real competition, and at the moment making the NZ girls look a level below.

Reply #920032 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Last year

Lehmann is a good passer in tight spaces but her ball security is not good. As others have said, not a pg.

Reply #920033 | Report this post

SP  
Last year

Very impressed with Somfai - she wants the ball and asserts herself well in the paint. Perkins on triple double watch - 5/8/5 in the first half. Australia are crushing NZ on the boards 29-10 - I don't think anybody else in Asia can match us here.

Reply #920034 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Last year

A level above is somfai, probably why she and hall were the only 07s on the u19 gems list.

Reply #920035 | Report this post

SP  
Last year

Interesting lineup they were running in garbage time with three bigs and Sophie Taylor at the point.

Jade Crook needs to improve her finishing big time! I would have given Jackson a little more opportunity in this game.

Good win. Will be interesting to see how they do against Japan. The Gems will miss Hall for sure, but the other guards are in good form atm. I have been very impressed with Hodges this tournament - great 2 way guard.

Reply #920036 | Report this post

Hooping  
Last year

Somfai giving out LJ vibes.

Hodges was near flawless.

Lehmann reminds me of a Sami Whitcomb. Ball handling skills not super elite, tripped on the court lines 3 times, but gritty defender, can score, gets other team mates into the game, emotional leader.

Coach can certainly game coach, better than some coaching in WNBL from that perspective.

Shout out to the manager as well.

Reply #920037 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Last year

For those who know Jackson's game, if the team is giving 100%, she too matches the teams intensity. If it was like the first few games, she becomes disinterested.

Carr much preferred jackson over crook.
Garlepp although Zoe’s coach seems to prefer it the other way around.
Another option is to go with playmakermos idea of playing players at ajc positions, somfai at centre. Fagan at c or Gardiner as a backup with no Crook or Jackson at all.

Next years u18s will be a good indicator when 07 and 08 are matched.

Personally I think Jackson is a great talent, 1 of the best young centres we have had in a while. The Garlepps don’t seem to see that. She was better off going somewhere other than norths.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xmgwsuypEI0

Gone backwards under the Garlepps. hard to get any momentum when you are getting taken off after just 1-2 mins

Reply #920038 | Report this post

SP  
Last year

Fagan is a very intriguing player with her length and athleticism, but still ridiculously raw. The next few years will be key for her.

Jackson needs a lot of offensive development, but she provides rim protection where Crook doesn't. If Crook isn't finishing, I don't see where she has much of an advantage over Jackson. I like Jackson a lot better defensively.

Reply #920039 | Report this post

Bballfan  
Last year

I don't see what others see when I hear Somfai is on a different level. My sense is that she is a good player with height who is a determined individual, but to be great she might need to get her head down, focus on the process of being great, avoid the peripheral stuff and be more for the collective to realise her best self. I can understand the claim for Hall though who I have only seen on streams because she has some star qualities in speed, finishing and has a general dynamism in her game and is very exciting to watch.

Impressed with Hodges in her first attempt in the green and gold. Efficient and effective.

On the whole though, not that impressed with the group and overall level of performance- it lacks fluidity.

Hope the Gems are more pleasing to watch!

Reply #920040 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Last year

The difference in opinion between Garlepp and Carr regarding the NSW bigs is peculiar. Jackson definitely has a case for making the World Cup team and playing more minutes this tournament. Either way, can't say I agree with Garlepp on this one.

It only took three strong AJC performances and injuries to Dakic and Seumanutafa for Hodges to be invited to a selection camp. Now she's one of the team's main contributors. Someone from BA has egg on their face.

Reply #920041 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Last year

She is better in every area, she just needs someone to give her the minutes in high tempo team.

S5 v japan anyone? It's changed a lot.

Reply #920042 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Last year

I was one of those who had Hodges outside of the 12 before this tournament.
She has been super efficient in asia and definitely looks a WC player.

Still going with WC roster of

Perkins
Hall
Dakic > Lehmann(less effective at WC imo)
Seumanutafa > Aherne(not as good in any area of game)
Hodges
Taylor
Mead > Notoa(has the iq but not the will to do the dirty work)
Russell
Somfai
Fagan
Crook
Jackson

Gardiner, if somfai moves to C spot and pf position opens up, pushing crook out.
Bijker, wing/forward replacement for a mead, Russell or Taylor.
Hanson pf or big replacement if injury in team.
Corasaniti any guard replacement, ain't many other options that have versatility.
Juffermans replacement for crook, undersized though.

Reply #920043 | Report this post

SixersFan  
Last year

"I don't see what others see when I hear Somfai is on a different level."

She had 24 points in 17 minutes after being sick for the last week but that was not enough for you? To help you out Hall had similar scores against the basketball powerhouses of Thailand and Syria. Lara averaged 20 as a double bottom age at classics including a 50 point game if I remember correctly. She won gold for SA as a bottom age beating Halls team twice and won Defensive player of the tournament. Yeah not on a different level....

Reply #920044 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Last year

Highest potential as a senior imo, plus long term best position.

#1 Hall PG 5'8+
#2 Somfai PF 6’3+
#3 Fagan PF 6’3+
#4 Jackson C 6’4+
#5 Hodges SG 5’10+
#6 Perkins PG 5’8+
#7 Taylor SF 6’1+
#8 Lehmann PG 5’9+
#9 Russell SF 6’1+
#10 Notoa PG 6’0+
#11 Crook C 6’3+
#12 Aherne SF 6’0+

Reply #920045 | Report this post

retired  
Last year

Jackson is not the type of player to work hard all the time.She drops off quite a bit and does not have the mungral in her.
Also she struggles a lot to finish inside the paint on offence.Percentages are low overall.

Defensively she gets some blocks but is not strong enough if she gets contested by opposition who get in a have a go.

Reply #920049 | Report this post

Bballfan  
Last year

SixersFan - I respect your view. You don't agree with mine and that’s okay, it’s not unexpected. I’m sure many feel the same as you.

Here, I am forming an independent opinion using my own observations and it is not emotionally attached. Your response suggests you are emotionally attached - again that is okay, if you are aware of it and you reflect on any bias.

In response to you, again only my view, a single player does not 'win’ anything. She didn’t win gold for SA. There was a team that won that competition. Several key players contributed significantly to a team success. You don’t do her favours by re-stating that opinion.

I’m aware there was noted hype around being a double bottom age and scoring highly that year, but I don’t believe there was a 50 point haul at NJC, although there was in the St. Clair Xmas Carnival against Woodville. Social media can blur the reality (I work in marketing).

You’ve been very sensitive to the subjective statement that IMO Somfai is good (rather than great) and I do note she has achieved some notable accolades that support she is good. After your retort, I still think to be great (and in this case that means to be on another level) she needs to follow a more focused process and bring out an ability to be team over individual before any ‘another level or LJ comparisons’ can be accurate. Don’t make the mistake of thinking a junior has made it and is the saviour or future of basketball. Those things are for later and must be earned over a sustained period of time.

Reply #920050 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Last year

She is on a different level though, that is evident.
Somfai and Hall are a level above the rest on this u16 team.
The only 2 triple bottom agers to get selected for the u19 WC.
The 2 biggest standouts at the ajc.
Both contacted many moons ago, scouted early for scholarships at Coe and already many ncaa offers.

Reply #920051 | Report this post

Red84  
Last year

Somfai is a great prospect but there is some distance to go in transitioning to the senior ranks. Because she is a South Aussie she garners a lot of support in this forum. This adulation gets to a stage of hype that I feel uncomfortable about. Ditto for Hall. Posters who contribute to the hype need to calm down.

Reply #920055 | Report this post

SP  
Last year

I an curious to see how Somfai does against European and North American posts. Very impressed with her skills - the inside-outside game and the drive and dish. There's a level of refinement to her game that a lot of other bigs her age don't have.

Reply #920056 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Last year

Comparison is Alanna smith with better offense but worse defense.

Reply #920060 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Last year

Funnily enough she could end up at Stanford.

Reply #920061 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Last year

Be interesting to see what they do in 2025.

Likely 10 teams in A.
Thailand relegated to B.
Phillipines probably favourites to be promoted to A.
India to return but where?
Can see a few more teams entering B to make it also 10 teams or more.

Perhaps?

A
Australia
Japan
China
Nz
South Korea
Samoa
Chinese Taipei
Phillipines
Syria
India

B
Malaysia
Iran
Singapore
Hong Kong
Maldives
Jordan
Thailand
Guam
Fiji
Iraq
Indonesia
Lebanon
Khazakstan
Png
Etc

Reply #920062 | Report this post

SixersFan  
Last year

Bballfan, sure we can both have different opinions and that is fine but so far your argument is basically Somfai isn't next level because she apparently doesn't pass. I guess Lauren Jackson was not next level because her assist stats were low (1.4APG in the WNBA over 12 seasons. whoops).

No bias here. I have never coached her or against her, never spoken to her, never had anything to do with her. However she has clearly proven so far in her junior career a level that would only be matched by a very few former/current opals players.

"a single player does not 'win' anything. She didn’t win gold for SA."

You took what I said out of context. All players in that team won gold for SA. It was obvious that she was the best player in that team as a bottom age.

You are correct, I was wrong, the 50 point game was in a local game.

How can you say her accolades are only good and not great? That is just a bizarre take and seems you're the only one with bias here. She will clearly be in the COE shortly and will have colleges after her. As Weedy mentioned she is 1 of only 2 triple bottom agers to get selected for the u19WC.

Weedy said she could be similar to Alanna Smith. That is a fair comparison.

I never said she is a saviour. My comments are purely what she has achieved as a junior which you don't want to give her credit for. As with all juniors they have a long way to go before making pro ranks. IMO there is no pressure on her other than to continue to go as she is and hopefully it all works out for her and she has a successful pro career

Reply #920076 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Last year

Congratz to nz winning bronze, look forward to watching the team next year.

Reply #920078 | Report this post

hoopie  
Last year

Agree, congrats to NZ.

BUT

They had so much in their favour but terrible decision-making almost cost them the game. I'll put it down to exhaustion.

Reply #920079 | Report this post

SP  
Last year

Hall is suited up! A little surprised, but good sign.

Reply #920080 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Last year

Japan playing slow...

Reply #920081 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Last year

Solid start from Lehmann.

Reply #920082 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Last year

Hall still hopping but they still playing her, ankle strapped.

Reply #920083 | Report this post

Frogface19  
Last year

Lehmann is flying and anyone that suggest she wont make the WC squad is delusional IMO

Im more disappointed in Hall.. Anyone that leaves in awheel chair and plays 12- 24 hours later doesn't show me she's made of the right things......

NSW HP staff are disappointed she wont support their program and thinks her dad is her best opportunity to grow is wrong!

Reply #920084 | Report this post

hoopie  
Last year

A gripping game so far. Hopefully the Aussies box out better in the second half.

Reply #920085 | Report this post

SP  
Last year

Some of the ballhandling errors in the first half - yipes.

Japan is outrebounding us 17-12, which is surprising. Besides that, not much in it. I hope our outside shooting improves in the second half.

Reply #920086 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Last year

Our D is pretty atrocious and getting out rebounded by japan is sort of disturbing.
Inbounding the ball, not difficult but Garlepp is making difficult.

Reply #920087 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Last year

Interseting he went to somfai at centre then to crook, cut crook and put Notoa at centre after a few somfai fouls. Hc really doesn't have any trust in fagan ifbhecwint use jade or Zoe.

Reply #920088 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Last year

Japan haven't applied the same manic ball pressure from their previous games. I can't help but feel they're respecting our ability to handle that too much. Between that and their relentless rebounding, I thought they'd run over us.

Lehmann is doing what she's done all tournament: great playmaking in the half court, and struggling against full court pressure. There will be fierce competition in the guard spots for the WC, but she has a case.

Garlepp quick on timeouts and dragging for mistakes. Very reactionary and emotional.

Overall, we're far more competitive than I expected and a good chance to win if Japan play a similar style in the second half. I don't think they'll have an answer for Somfai if she stays out of foul trouble and we can avoid needless turnovers.

Reply #920089 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Last year

Somfai still reaching alot but you don't hear hands out from the coaches.
Lehmann was the best in the first half but also had the most turnovers, not many except maybe Perkins looks ok handling pressure.
Hopefully they go back to carr, Garlepp has clear favourites, Notoa at every position for one.

Reply #920090 | Report this post

CoachGirl  
Last year

I'm a bit old school... but watching players reverse dribble in traffic is making me very uncomfortable. You only add to turnovers and needless pressure. Refs are letting a lot go… more suited to Japan than us at the moment

Reply #920091 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Last year

Both teams pretty spent, some ugly ball here.

Reply #920092 | Report this post

Frogface19  
Last year

Halls defence is average at best... even with a so called ankle !! Lehmann/Hodges are much better in the PG IMO

Reply #920093 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Last year

Not sure any of hall Lehmann or Hodges are pgs.

Reply #920094 | Report this post

SP  
Last year

The three point defence is not good. Japan shoots threes - it's not a grand secret lol.

Hall's court vision is fun.

Reply #920095 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Last year

We got Lehmann vs hall bias here?

Reply #920096 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Last year

Not a good night for Taylor.

Reply #920097 | Report this post

Frogface19  
Last year

no just an opinion and they are like bums, we all have one!!!

All gun players but im sure Lehmann/Hodges wouldn't leave a game in a wheel chair and play 24 hours later weedy!

Reply #920098 | Report this post

SP  
Last year

Im more disappointed in Hall.. Anyone that leaves in awheel chair and plays 12- 24 hours later doesn't show me she's made of the right things......

Some people on here have the oddest complaints. Like seriously lol.

Not sure any of hall Lehmann or Hodges are pgs.

I think Hall and Lehmann are, but they have to sharpen up on a few things. Hodges is clearly a wing.

Reply #920099 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Last year

She rolled an ankle, who knows what issues she had, somfai was sick and is playing, so too Russell. Not sure what the problem is, you think she faking injury or something?

Reply #920100 | Report this post

Footloose  
Last year

I wouldn't hold it against Hall that she hasn't bought into the 'B NSW' pathway, and she seems to be doing just fine without it. A better question is why so many others have bought in, only to be churned out the other end, disillusioned and disenfranchised with the sport.

There is more than one pathway, and it's about time the State bodies stopped making parents feel as though if they don't jump through all the required hoops, their child will never make a state team and it will be their fault (the reality of course being that they were never good enough to make a State team in the first place).

Reply #920101 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Last year

Looks like you both win Lehmann in the first half and hall in the second, happy days.

Reply #920102 | Report this post

SP  
Last year

Hall has taken over in the final quarter. A lot of fun to watch. Japan look tired.

Reply #920103 | Report this post

Hooping  
Last year

Jesse-May brings Fire !!!

Perkins almost playing point-centre. leaving it all out there.

Reply #920104 | Report this post

SP  
Last year

Why did Sophie Taylor sag off the shooter? Exciting finish, at least.

Reply #920105 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Last year

Yeah , why is she on...

Reply #920106 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Last year

Another tight final, 3 in a row.

Reply #920107 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Last year

That's a good win, congratz to sapphires.
Wonder who will be mvp, Perkins overall or Lehmann/ hall this game.

Reply #920108 | Report this post

hoopie  
Last year

Excellent result by the girls!

Reply #920109 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Last year

Complete ly different japan to the group games, energy depleted, scared, nervous, off day?

Reply #920110 | Report this post

SP  
Last year

Congrats to the Sapphires. It was a tight final game but they came through, especially Hall in the 4th quarter. Wow.

They have a bit to work on, but I think there's some good talent on this team. I think the posts are an interesting thing to consider - small ball or not? World Cup selection will be fascinating.

Reply #920111 | Report this post

Hooping  
Last year

Playing small ball for much of the 2nd half. The team could really do with an strong active forward who can get some rebounds, put backs.

Great win.

Don't really see the point of selecting the tall girls who cant dominate the small players and cant dominate taller players. The hardest working players were the 6 who ended up getting the most court time. I hope they consider that when they select the next team.

Reply #920112 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Last year

I'd be happy to cut aherne, Notoa
Debate on the guards, for sure needs seumanutafa and dakic.
Debate on all wings.
Debate jackson v crook.

Reply #920113 | Report this post

Hoopstragic  
Last year

Lehman as tournament MVP?

Reply #920114 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Last year

3 guard lineup might make most happy.

Perkins / Lehmann
Hall / Seumanutafa
Hodges / Dakic
PF? / PF? / PF?
Somfai / Fagan / Jackson

Options
Mead
Taylor
Bijkerk
Russell
Notoa
Petrie
Gardiner

Anyone else?

Reply #920115 | Report this post

Hoopstragic  
Last year

Small ball is just an Asian tournament thing. Can't do that against European teams

Reply #920116 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Last year

I think so too but you can move people around

Reply #920117 | Report this post

Hoopstragic  
Last year

Guards: Perkins / Hall / Seumanutafa

Reply #920118 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Last year

Better to match one play maker with 1 scorer and 1 defender.

Reply #920119 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Last year

Congrats to the Sapphires! Thankfully Garlepp adjusted where so many coaches before him have stubbornly run with two bigs. In saying that, it was Hall's shot-making really blew the game open.

I still don't understand Japan's shift in style of play for this game. Maybe fatigue played a role? It worked in our favor regardless.

Asia Cup needs to be more guard-heavy, then you select the best for the World Cup with more bigs for balance. Surely it can't be that difficult for selectors to grasp!

Reply #920120 | Report this post

Hooping  
Last year

"Congrats to the Sapphires! Thankfully Garlepp adjusted where so many coaches before him have stubbornly run with two bigs. In saying that, it was Hall's shot-making really blew the game open."

Well said !

Reply #920121 | Report this post

SixersFan  
Last year

A tough battle but great to see the girls get it done.

A bit surprised to see Lehmann get tournament MVP but she had a fantastic grand final and was solid throughout at both ends.

Small ball worked in the end but if they are going to go with bigs for most of it they should have run some plays for them to catch it close to the ring instead of them catching it on the elbow with horns action.

Fantastic last quarter by Hall.

Perkins and Hodges solid

Reply #920122 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Last year

End of tournament averages
Points/Rebounds/Assists/Steals

Perkins 28m, 15/6/6/3
Hodges 26m, 11/8/3/5
Taylor 26m, 11/7/3/1
Lehmann 25m, 12/4/5/3
Notoa 20m, 7/5/2/1
Somfai 19m, 16/5/1/0
Hall 17m, 16/2/4/2
Crook 17m, 8/9/1/2
Ahearne 13m, 3/3/1/0
Fagan 13m, 7/4/1/2
Russell 10m, 5/3/1/1
Jackson 10m, 4/3/0/0

Reply #920123 | Report this post

Pasadena 72  
Last year

Weedy I could have read this wrong but did you have Lehmann out of your WC team a few days ago?

Reply #920124 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Last year

Yes I did, I had her out as a reserve and added dakic and seumanutafa.

Reply #920125 | Report this post

Pasadena 72  
Last year

Did the past couple of days change your mind? MVP & going to COE I can't imagine them leaving her out.

Reply #920126 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Last year

Realistically though she wasn't the MVP (Hall or Perkins IMO) and there's often a big difference between what those outside the BA bubble think.

In all likelihood someone out of Hall, Perkins, Hodges, Lehmann, Dakic and Seumanutafa misses out on the World Cup, and history suggests you're on the money that CoE scholarships will be selected.

Interesting discussions ahead!

Reply #920127 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Last year

I thought Perkins deserved mvp personally, Hodges #2 and Lehmann #3 adding up the whole tournament + those who missed out because of injury or illness.
A scholarship to the Coe is a great achievement, I trust Herbert's selections much more than the previous 2 coaches who took in several players that were not top tier and unlikely to represent aus at any level. That has proven to be true.
She Deserves a spot at Coe, they have many bigs and few guards.
Some guards have declined to attend already and across 07/08 few are aus level. Lehmann, dakic, seumanutafa, Perkins, hall, Hodges probably the only ones I can think of right now that are.
'They’ whoever they may be come WC time won’t leave Lehmann out, she is the captain 2 years running and has the last 2 games on her belt + mvp trophy.
Do I think she is a pivotal piece to the team, no, I don’t.
Seperate from her leadership, her scoring is not at the level of seumanutafa and her defence is not at the level of dakic. Her ball security is not at the level of Perkins.
Then you add both hall and Hodges and you start to run out of room for another guard. Aherne and Notoa already pushed out..
Space on the team?, yes if you go smaller. But, she is the easiest to replace skills wise if you wanted to change a few wings and bigs over to compete with much bigger teams next tournament. Her captaincy I cannot judge because I cannot hear her in the huddle or on the bench or outside the arena.

Reply #920128 | Report this post

Pasadena 72  
Last year

Thanks for your thoughtful and balanced reply. I wonder how much her pedigree & bloodline played a part in her early identification and selection however I think she's proven herself worthy both of her COE scholarship and position within this team.

I appreciate your in depth knowledge of the kids in this age group far exceeds mine.

Reply #920129 | Report this post

retired  
Last year

BNSW pathways is not always the way to go.

A lot of players do not want to do their programs because of costs and they do not get the right type of training that would be expected and the kids do vnot want to do it.

Garlepp looked flustered in the game at times and did not make adjustments to stop the Japanese shooting uncontested threes.

Hall did bring the Aussies home in the 4th quarter and she has proven you do not have to go BNSW programs.

Noticed Garlepp only ran with 8 players and proves a couple were only there to make up numbers during the round games and not good enough to play in the big game.

Proves Jackson should not be there and maybe 1 or 2 others.

Reply #920132 | Report this post

SixersFan  
Last year

Weedy Slug you keep mentioning Dakic and Seumanutafa. Why weren't they picked for this team, are they injured? Also I didn't see their names pop up in 18's nationals or classics? Dakic played 16s nationals last year with not really impressive stats but you mention she is very good defensively. Seumanutafa finished 2nd in scoring for 16s nationals last year.

Reply #920134 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Last year

Both were injured around the same time last year. It's a 8-12 month recovery time.

Reply #920136 | Report this post

XXXX  
Last year

Both did ACL's last year. Seumanutafa is very good and a lock for the Worlds, she is strong and has a good handle, gets to the basket and finishes. She also has a good midrange game, not so great from 3. Dakic plays a lot like Hodges, she's quicker but can't shoot. Dakic is also pretty tall now, she could potentially play the 3.

Reply #920138 | Report this post

SP  
Last year

Noticed Garlepp only ran with 8 players and proves a couple were only there to make up numbers during the round games and not good enough to play in the big game.

Proves Jackson should not be there and maybe 1 or 2 others.

It was the final game of the tournament and normally teams at all levels of the game shorten their rotations in big games. Of course somebody is going to warm the bench in that situation.

Reply #920142 | Report this post

SixersFan  
Last year

"Both did ACL's last year."

That is horrible to hear. Hopefully they both bounce back well

Reply #920145 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Last year

If they go with 24 in next camp again, guessing... something like.

G - 8
Perkins
Lehmann
Fotu
Hall
Seumanutafa
Hodges
Dakic
Corasaniti

F - 8
Ahearne
Notoa
Bijkerk
Petrie
Reisinger
Taylor
Russell
Mead

P - 8
Gardiner
Wightman
Somfai
Fagan
Juffermans
Hanson
Crook
Jackson

Reply #920147 | Report this post

XXXX  
Last year

Josie Agnew was invited to the COE camp in Jan. I'd be very surprised if she isn't at the next camp. She missed last year because of injury but in in the VNPP program and is frankly better than most of the guards listed.

Reply #920151 | Report this post

XyZ  
Last year

wow what a weekend for these young women.
whilst not as fluid as many of us expect there is a few key call outs.
1. the weather in Jordan. It was clear that this took a toll on these young women. Seeing the team manager fanning the bench down for an entire game.
2. the pressure and expectation was clear for all to see. New coaching staff and new systems and plays.
3. injuries to their two best players (both have the highest expectations - Hall & Somfai).
With all of the above they came through and won - delivered a Gold.
In terms of the players in the squad there will always be a debate around right or wrong. The results are the simple determinant of that, and its the coach that has to accept the outcome.
I personally believe that from watching these games (under these conditions), moving into a World Cup, they definitely need Mead and Bijkerk. The rebounding and toughness was lacking during games. Both of them have the ability to come into games and make significant impacts with their work ethics.
Hall is an amazing player and watching her step up in the 4th Quarter was a testament to her talent and toughness for playing on a busted ankle. Also great coaching from Garlep. He knows Hall well and that she was the key to lifting the entire team when they needed it.
Somfai is another standout and whilst not as impactful in this tournament (as we are use to seeing) she demonstrated she can do the job needed - again under tough conditions.
Perkins deserve to be MVP. All round class act and as always super consistent.
as for coaching, i really do believe Garlepp is the right choice. He is a winner and has proven that in all ages in various categories (reps/state and now national). He always gets the best out of his players and whilst not always pretty, its effective.
I really hope the young men can take a lead from these women and do the same in the Asian Cup in a few months. I believe there are some noticeable omissions from the mens camp but only time will tell with that is correct.

Reply #920153 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Last year

Who you taking out if you add Bijkerk and Mead(both defensively better options)?
Notoa? Ahearne?, Taylor?, Russell?, some post players?

Reply #920154 | Report this post

XyZ  
Last year

Notoa, Taylor or Russell
Not an easy decision
World Cup depending on who we get in the pool.
European opposition will be more skilled and move the ball quicker so we need to be able to defend better.

Reply #920155 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Last year

Agnew would have to have a killer vjbl season and ajc to get back onto the national list.

Reply #920157 | Report this post

XXXX  
Last year

Its almost a given she will have a good VJBL season, Melbourne are going to be very good. They were 4th in the Classic last year without her or Whiteman. I'm pretty confident that with a better coach and selection process Vic Metro will be good too and that will improve her chances, along with a few others. Fagan was far from the best performed u16 in VJBL last year and she's been pretty good in the Aus team, no reason others shouldn't emerge if given better circumstances and/or opportunity.

Reply #920159 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:27 pm, Sun 28 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754