Hooper
Last year

Franks gone, good move.

I like that Franks has moved on, he didn't bring the energy or team building vibe at all last season. Bring in players that want to be here and create the strong team environment.

Topic #51236 | Report this topic

Dunkman  
Last year

Japan I believe, under Dennis

Reply #920158 | Report this post

Peter  
Last year

Glad that saga is over. Can now get the guard they need

Hopefully they learnt from what could have been a very expensive stuff up, but this type of decision making unfortunately seems to be happening too often

Reply #920161 | Report this post

Observer  
Last year

Franks gone,hooray so when are we gonna see Sixers sign this new PG ,is there any names of potential point guards or Sixers are keeping their cards close to their chest . Curious here on this new guy,hopefully it's a new fresh face .

Reply #920162 | Report this post

Master Chief  
Last year

Saw on twitter that Smith-Milner is the last local, and still trying for next star.

Apparently new import won't necessarily be a true point guard.

Reply #920165 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Last year

Seriously? What is it with these crap bigs we sign?

Last year it was Acuoth who had fallen out of the league the year before played in Georgia and now Smith-Milner who couldn't even get a spot on a roster last season and had to settle for being an injury replacement player with SEM, which said plenty given they demoted him from the roster. I would much rather give the last spot to DJ than Smith-Milner.

Reply #920168 | Report this post

Master Chief  
Last year

Zodiac, who else is left though? (If DJ is gone. Not a sarcastic question.

Reply #920169 | Report this post

Hooper  
Last year

DJ won't play for minimum, Smith-Milner will barely hit the court if at all.

Reply #920172 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Last year

Majok Majok, Harry Froling, Sam Timmins, Tristan Forsyth even Tohi's SEM teammate Grant Anticevich would all be upgrades on Smith-Milner.

Tohi is a poor defender, rebounder and shot blocker doesn't like being in the low post, short arms, unathletic and thinks of himself more as a SG just wanting to jack up 3's when he gets court time, an absolute waste of a 6'9" body. Tried and failed at two NBL teams already and his hometown team has never signed him either.

Reply #920173 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Last year

Pineau was a FA for months instead he then opts for relocating to another country and we seemingly offer a contract to arguably the worst big left on the FA list from last season. Even Deng Acuoth might consider himself unlucky, as useless as he was.

Aside from Smith-Milner being virtually unplayable, you can't play him at centre so we're going with Galloway as the back up centre? What the hell are we going to do if Humphries gets injured?

Humphries/Galloway
Wiley/Smith-Milner
Cleveland/Starling/Marshall
McCarron/Dech
Import/Cadee

Reply #920174 | Report this post

Basket 91  
Last year

Sixers went cheap on this spot so can get a good guard I'm guessing.

Smith-Milner can shoot unlike Pineau and Majok

Reply #920176 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Last year

That's great how about someone who can defend, rebound or block shots at a back up PF/C spot?

Reply #920177 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last year

Anticevich playing in Germany. This is a minimum budget signing, who else plays for minimum.

Reply #920182 | Report this post

Beantown  
Last year

Smith-Milner not exciting, but its good the Franks situation has finally been resolved. No chance of DJ coming back. He and CJ have fallen out from what I hear.

Fingers crossed CJ really nails an elite guard. The Sixers will need one to have any hope of making the finals I think!

Roster is looking like CJ wants to play up-tempo, offensive basketball, so back to the Joey Wright formula I guess?

Can Humphries stay healthy playing at a fast pace all season? You can't play effective up-tempo ball if you can't get stops and that all hinges on Humphries rim protection and rebounding. I'm really hoping the big guy can deliver!

Reply #920185 | Report this post

KET  
Last year

Adelaide need:

1) team to be entirely healthy including Humphries all year
2) the PG to be a total gem capable of nailing 18-20ppg
3) MM to play his best shooting year yet
4) Dech to have a big step forward
5) Cleveland to be in the MVP conversation

For them to be a 4th-6th proposition, with the assumption that Melbs, Perth, Sydney have the top 3 spots locked up.

Reply #920187 | Report this post

SixersFan  
Last year

Zodiac is correct. This is as bad a signing as possible. The guy should never be in the NBL. I can only imagine CJ once again got confused and thought "Harris was alright so maybe this guy will be good". Unfortunately this is as dumb as it gets.

All we can hope for now is a NS big like Hukporti but we all know that is not happening.

Reply #920189 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Last year

Again this season hinges on Humphries' health.

If injured for extended period, the front line becomes quite thin.

Reply #920195 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last year

Which season has Humphries played with out being injured for at least a month or two.

Reply #920197 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Last year

Rookie year at Sydney.

Reply #920199 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last year

His rookie year at kings was on short minutes, no time for injury

Reply #920200 | Report this post

Anonymightymouse  
Last year

2016/17 - 38 games
2017/18 - 38 games
2018/19 - 46 games

Since then his best year was last season with 23 games.

Reply #920202 | Report this post

Master Chief  
Last year

Just saw on twitter that Adelaide have done the typical thanks & good luck post to Robert Franks.

Seriously, regardless of what has gone on with DJ, would most agree that a professional club would at the very least do the same for a player who has been extremely loyal, and one their best players for how long now?

I just think that's really poor from Adelaide.

Reply #920204 | Report this post

SixersFan  
Last year

Master Chief I think they are just waiting until the entire roster is finished before doing so

Reply #920205 | Report this post

Master Chief  
Last year

SixersFan, maybe, but don't see why that stops them.

Reply #920206 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Last year

I dare say DJ probably has a standing offer on the table from the Sixers and once the due date for him to accept passes and Smith-Milner gets signed, FFS, then DJ might get some glorious send-off before he retires or ends his career in Guatemala or something.

Reply #920207 | Report this post

Beantown  
Last year

That's a good point MasterChief! DJ should definitely be recognised for his years of service. But you’d think that would be obvious to ownership!

Perhaps there is still some hope from ownership that things can be patched up and DJ will come back as the backup centre? I don’t think its likely, but it would explain why nothing has happened yet.

Reply #920208 | Report this post

Master Chief  
Last year

Zodiac, it's not about having a glorious send off, it's about the club being consistent and professional.

If you're going to thank Robert Franks (who supposedly wasn't on terms with the club either), then don't you think you should do a media release that congratulates one of your greatest and most loyal players?

Reply #920210 | Report this post

Anonymightymouse  
Last year

Franks has a deal elsewhere, Johnson doesn't yet. If he were about to sign somewhere else you could bet there'd be a farewell message.

Reply #920213 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Last year

Master Chief, I agree but currently there are still two vacant spots on the roster and once they're filled I bet they do give DJ a send-off.

Reply #920214 | Report this post

Mathew  
Last year

I'm pretty sure Adelaide doesn’t have a local spot available so DJ’s time in Adelaide is done. We have a next star spot and import spot (which will be filled with a PG/SG)
He will be farewelled but the fact no other team has offered him anything should tell you all his value is zero

Reply #920215 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Last year

We do, the two vacant roster spots are for a back-up PF/C and an import guard.

Smith-Milner is only a rumour at this stage it hasn't been officially announced.

Reply #920217 | Report this post

Frogface19  
Last year

At what stage does the light shine on CJ coaching record? Do we think he wins our next title?

Reply #920218 | Report this post

Master Chief  
Last year

Let's hope you're right then!

Reply #920219 | Report this post

Master Chief  
Last year

Frogface19, no, I don't have confidence in CJ.

Reply #920221 | Report this post

Tornado  
Last year

CJ can't even talk with any fluidity let alone coach a professional basketball team.

Reply #920225 | Report this post

Saint23  
Last year

xrm to the 36ers?

Reply #920227 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Last year

CJ can't even talk with any fluidity let alone coach a professional basketball team.

To the uninitiated this may read as being harsh but it's true. Never forget CJ's one and only game in commentary - cringe.

Reply #920228 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Last year

I could handle XRM at the Sixers even though he sees himself as the first and second option on offence it's a bit like that saying always bet on self-interest, at least with him he won't die wondering and some of our guys shirk the big shots like McCarron and to a degree Cleveland. Plus XRM isn't enough of a knucklehead to go all Craig Randall on the team.

I think XRM wouldn't be a bad signing at all probably as good as we could hope for.

Reply #920229 | Report this post

Mathew  
Last year

Zodiac smith-Milner is set to be announced in the next day or two. There are no local spots available!

Next star and import are all that are left

Reply #920230 | Report this post

SixersFan  
Last year

"He will be farewelled but the fact no other team has offered him anything should tell you all his value is zero"

Not necessarily. We don't know if he talked to other teams but the reality is he most likely priced himself out of the NBL

Reply #920232 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Last year

Yeah I don't think DJ has priced himself out of the league lol The reality is there wouldn't be much interest in a 35 yo former star who doesn't like coming off the bench and has always been paid more than an average player.

DJ probably isn't willing to take enough of a pay cut and/or willing to move to another state for said pay cut so finds himself in the position he's currently in with his career ending a year or two earlier than it should've if he had been willing to take an ego check.

Reply #920233 | Report this post

Ski 61  
Last year

Who is XRM?

Reply #920235 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Last year

Xavier Rathan-Mayes, import who played for United last season and then the Hawks the season before that where he and Cleveland were teammates. He's engaged to an Aussie girl, wants to stay playing here in Australia and intends to become naturalised in two years time, which would likely keep his price down too.

Reply #920236 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Last year

Did we get any explanation for why this whole process took so long?
It was pretty much a foregone conclusion that Franks wasn't returning like 2-3 months ago. We even officially signed his replacement a couple weeks ago (after that being all but confirmed as happening a couple months back too).
Just seems weird how this whole thing went down. Was Franks just hanging out for a better pay out from his contract release or something?

Reply #920237 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Last year

He's also currently building a house in Sydney.

Reply #920238 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Last year

If we want someone that will run the offence and not over dribble the ball then jack it up with 3 seconds left, then XRM is not the answer.

He will win one or two games with good shooting and scoring but he will also stagnate the offence.

Reply #920239 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Last year

We already have McCarron to do that

Reply #920240 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last year

Cotton still waiting for citizenship, how does xrm get it in two years. He is not what Sixers need though.

Reply #920241 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Last year

You can apply for and usually get citizenship after four years hear, XRM is two years away. I can't remember the specifics of Cotton's application but I think he took his time applying and then buggered up the application supposedly from bad advice, but Ballinger and plenty of other former imports got it after four years here.

Reply #920242 | Report this post

Q Anon  
Last year

@Zodiac an imports value increases when they are going to naturalise

Reply #920243 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Last year

Cotton's won't that's for sure.

Reply #920244 | Report this post

Q Anon  
Last year

He is the highest paid player in the league , even more valuable as an Aussie

Reply #920245 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Last year

No to both.

Reply #920246 | Report this post

koberulz  
Last year

How could naturalising possibly decrease his value?

Reply #920249 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Last year

Age, unless you think players like Ricky Grace, James Crawford, Scott Fisher, Leroy Loggins etc. were getting paid more as naturalised players rather than when they were star imports.

Reply #920250 | Report this post

koberulz  
Last year

How does naturalising make him older?

Reply #920252 | Report this post

Ballin Fan  
Last year

after a few weeks of the season with XRM, Goorj said he had to institute a rule at training that no player was allowed to dribble the ball more than twice.

if they could not get their move/option off after two dribbles, they had to move the ball. Pretty sure Goorj said that he had to institute this rule because of XRM.

Reply #920253 | Report this post

Beantown  
Last year

Please no to XRM. Very average guard who doesn't shoot it well from the free throw line or from three. Not what the Sixers need, especially when they’ve already cheaped out on Wiley. I’d rather have Isaac White as my shooting guard than XRM! If they can’t do better than that, just leave the slot open or sign a good defensive big man. Looks like another season in the cellar for the Sixers. Does the owner want to actually compete or not?

Reply #920268 | Report this post

UseTaHoop  
Last year

How the hell does an import naturalising lower their value?

Locals, or naturalised players, are always worth more than the same player would be as an import.

There is literally a whole world of imports out there. Australians (and other locals) are much less plentiful.

I think that, typically, a player who naturalises extends their career, and prolongs their bigger pay checks because franchises know that they will not be taking up an import spot for much longer.

Just think of Starling for next season, and long ago Dwayne Nelson for the 36ers. No way would any franchise sign them as imports (Nelson had dropped out of the NBL I believe)?

Cal Bruton, Ricky Grace, Leroy Loggins, Al Green, Scott Fisher and many others have all done this. If a longer term import wants to settle in Australia, they should always naturalise to prolong their career, and retrain or invest their money to secure their future playing career.

Reply #920272 | Report this post

Master Chief  
Last year

Surely Adelaide have higher hopes if CJ is in the US?

Reply #920293 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Last year

Would be a pretty sweet paid holiday hanging out at SL in Vegas.

Reply #920297 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Last year

There was an article that suggested right now its slim pickings for what CJ is after (could also be constrained by money).

The complaint with the Sixers for a long time has been we don't have a true PG that can run the show.

This has gone all the way back to Gibbo, Cadee, Randle, Sobey, and now McCarron.

So I'm eager to see an import PG run CJ's offence.

Reply #920299 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Last year

He's since clarified that by saying they're looking for more of a combo guard now, like I said would happen with McCarron playing the point. We can't play MM who doesn't score, scared to shoot and such a poor 3pt shooter at the SG spot.

Reply #920301 | Report this post

Ballin Fan  
Last year

Given the problems with Craig Randall,
Over dribbling and breaking the offense ( whether or not he was clearly told that and understood that is another thing )
And the fact that Goorj has publicly documented that XRM had the same traits (albeit he did deal successfully with it)
You would think that there is no way CJ would put himself through that again.
Although the owner does seem to like recycled players...

Reply #920302 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Last year

Sixers should then start McCarron with the Combo guard import.

McCarron is a better playmaker, plus ability to play some D and get rebounds than he is a scorer / shooter.

He still needs to be able to keep the defence honest like he did in his first year at the club. Not sure what happened last season.

What about Josh Maggette? Not a gun import but one that provides stability, high IQ and can also shoot.

Reply #920314 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Last year

Magette shot 35.5% from the field (31.6% on 3pts) last season, no thanks.

Reply #920317 | Report this post

Ben  
Last year

Late to the convo, but the rumoured Smith-Milner signing is terrible for the Sixers if true. Laughable even.

Even if it's a money thing, surely there are better options available.

Reply #920322 | Report this post

SixersFan  
Last year

Ben it is a comedy show every year with CJ's final pick pretending he knows how to coach. Here are his selections:

Manny Malou (Although I did give him some props for his shooting but ended up a bust and no where to be seen now)
Deng Acuoth
Tohi Smith-Milner

Reply #920327 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last year

If smith-Milner gets fit he can be useful, far better than Acouth and Malou.

Reply #920332 | Report this post

NP  
Last year

Smith-Milner is the least of our concerns.
The import needs to be a stud. Not XRM that's for sure.
A NS big would be handy as well.

Reply #920334 | Report this post

Beantown  
Last year

Anyone know what kind of money top imports are on in Puerto Rico? Could the Sixers realistically chase a vet like Brandon Knight? (Ex Piston, now 32 y.o. but just averaged 23ppg).

Reply #920335 | Report this post

MaxM  
Last year

Unless the sixers can get an MVP level import, I think everyone can see that they just don't have enough talent, or the coaching, to have a chance at finals

Reply #920337 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:29 am, Sun 28 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754