Fairsy
Last year

NBL Market

Some bookies have markets out for the next season. I cannot believe the Hawks are at 17/1 with their roster. I have had $30 on them. Am I missing something

Sydney Kings $4.5
Melbourne United $4.75
NZ/Perth $6.5
Adelaide $8
Phoenix/Cairns $9
Brisbane $11
Tasmania $13
Hawks $17.

These odds are from Playup, other bookies are similar but the teams down at the bottom do differ.

Think about what else you could be buying lol.

Topic #51238 | Report this topic

Zodiac  
Last year

Hawks and 36ers should be swapped IMO, they've got a better roster than we do and probably a better coach too. Tassie is good value, United obviously isn't.

Reply #920175 | Report this post

Jimmyhooper15  
Last year

Hawks will be way better than people are expecting . Same with the Taipans

Reply #920178 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last year

Bottom three all look worth a punt. Perth and Adelaide to short.

Reply #920179 | Report this post

Melbourne Boy  
Last year

Sydney are $5 with most outlets, and they are the best value. Think of it this way, if this season was played out 5 times in a row in parralel universes, they'd win it more than once.

Reply #920180 | Report this post

Anonymightymouse  
Last year

I suppose it's not surprising the only 4 current clubs who've won a title in the past 20 years are the top 4 in the betting market. Hopefully this is the year someone else gets one.

Reply #920181 | Report this post

NBLTigers  
Last year

Farout Tassie should be way up there.
They always overachieve every season.

People don't understand how many games they win at their tiny fortress in Tassie. Surely their imports are an upgrade from last season???

Reply #920183 | Report this post

Melbourne Boy  
Last year

Tassie's ceiling is losing admirably in the finals, they'll probably get near that, well run and they maximise what they have, not enough to win it imo.

Reply #920184 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Last year

On Betfair both Illawarra and Tassie have been the most requested in terms of odds wanted/actually traded due to reasons above. Remember they don't have to win - just outperform the incorrect probability of the odds and you can profit the difference.

Reply #920192 | Report this post

Baller  
Last year

I think Tasmania will finish top 4 they are very well coached and have improved there roster from last season there bringing Doyle back and more height in Marcus lee jordan Crawford will be a wildcard his small but his capable of putting up very good numbers offensively averaged 20 a game in turkey the locals they brought in are improvements as well .

Reply #920193 | Report this post

Fairsy  
Last year

Wise words Perthworld. That is why I am gambling on them. Lay some of it off when they make the Top 4. I also agree Sydney are deserved faves.

Reply #920198 | Report this post

Ben  
Last year

Sportsbet's title odds appear more reasonable, although Adelaide far too high on that also.

Reply #920216 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Last year

Right now Sixers would almost be a lock for the wooden spoon. If we finished 8th last season with the roster we had we've clearly gone backwards in the off-season and the teams below us appear to have improved.

The import PG will need to be an absolute star but the way CJ is talking it sounds like they're looking more for a complimentary import type.

Reply #920220 | Report this post

Anonymightymouse  
Last year

He's looking for someone to make big shots at the end of games and when the offence bogs down. That was the glaring offensive weakness last season so the target is right, it's whether they can land the right guy.

Reply #920222 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Last year

There are still a lot of unknowns.

Perth is doing a mini-rebuild around youth and don't even know if they are going down the 2 or 3 import path.

Tasmania let Maggette go.

How will Robinson go with Illawarra after a year away?

Brisbane is my pick for wooden spoon at this stage, just like last year too much has gone into Sobey and Baynes, in particular the latter. They have also lost Krebs.

Reply #920223 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Last year

Perth have changed tack and said they're going for 3 imports now, Cotton + 2 more.

The Bullets are the team I was thinking the Sixers would probably be competing with for the spoon, although I think they've improved their roster slightly from last season but they're still stuck with Baynes and Sobey's contracts. Baynes will come off the books at the end of the season which will free up $750k+ so they should be able to put together a decent team in 2024-25.

Reply #920224 | Report this post

koberulz  
Last year

Remember they don't have to win - just outperform the incorrect probability of the odds and you can profit the difference.
How does one profit from betting on something to happen if it doesn't happen?

Reply #920234 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Last year

By trading on an exchange such as Betfair where you can back bet selections and lay bet afterwards when the odds decrease.

Reply #920247 | Report this post

koberulz  
Last year

I have no idea what any of that means.

Reply #920248 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Last year

Clearly.

Reply #920251 | Report this post

Fairsy  
Last year

Don't worry Perthworld, I know what you are saying.

Reply #920254 | Report this post

Jimmyhooper15  
Last year

Kings
Perth
United
NZ

Phoenix
Hawks
Taipans
Jack jumpers
Sixers
Bullets

Reply #920256 | Report this post

Jimmyhooper15  
Last year

Top 4 is in no particular order.

Reply #920257 | Report this post

Fairsy  
Last year

My Top 6 In Order

Kings
Melbourne
Illawarra
Perth
Jackies
New Zealand

Reply #920264 | Report this post

LV  
Last year

What anonymightymouse said- the dominant clubs over the past two decades (including the past few years for that matter) have been Melbourne, Sydney, Perth and NZ.

Melb, Syd and Perth are all putting strong rosters together and have the resources to find good replacements if things go wrong (like United did last year replacing Caroline with Lee). So if I'm a betting person, I'm going with those clubs. JLA's injury though probably means Melbourne is the 3rd wheel of that trio for now. But those are the clubs who deserve to be favourites, no doubt.

Reply #920265 | Report this post

LV  
Last year

And I should add, NZ has lost their imports so they deserve to be back with the pack, but I put that down to bookies just assuming last year's Grand Finalists will be good

Reply #920266 | Report this post

Fairsy  
Last year

Thankfully, the Hawks owner is a billionaire and whilst last year was our worst in history, it was bad enough obviously to embarass him into reaching deeper into his pockets. Coach Jackomas has been very complimentary in respect that he got everything he wanted. I would be surprised if our spend is not up there with those clubs you mentioned.

Reply #920269 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last year

It'll be interesting at hawks, they will need early success or Jackomas will be under heavy pressure.

Reply #920270 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Last year

I doubt Jackomas will be, the Hawks just gave him a 1 year extension on top of the 2 years that were left on his contract so he's now locked up until 2026.

Reply #920273 | Report this post

UseTaHoop  
Last year

What are the odds for finals?

I'm not at all sure about:

Phoenix/Cairns $9
Brisbane $11
Tasmania $13
Hawks $17.

being worth a punt for the championship, but Phoenix, Tas and Hawks could all be very good shots to make the finals.

Reply #920275 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Last year

Don't worry Perthworld, I know what you are saying.

Yes, I saw that. Happy trading Fairsy.

Reply #920278 | Report this post

AngusH  
Last year

It's looking like a deep league.

The only teams I don't rate at the moment are Adelaide because their 3rd import is going to have to be better than, say, XRM (unless Wiley is considerably better than last go-around), SEM because they really need at least 1 (if not 2) impact imports next to Williams/Creek, and Brisbane who also probably need one more impact piece to be top 6 even with incremental improvement from Mitchell and and the addition of good "team" players like Norton/McDaniel.

Even without imports finalised everyone else looks pretty good to me in what is shaping up to be a competitive season. United will be strong with their ceiling determined by health and whether Travers takes a leap (quite possible based on summer league), and if Perth just get a reasonable two-way wing import they will be in the mix for top 4 if healthy. Everyone else... lots to be excited about, not even factoring in Next Stars.

Reply #920281 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Last year

Bullets signed their last player yesterday Gabe Hadley a local player so they're just going with two imports again. Not a good roster IMO.

Reply #920285 | Report this post

AngusH  
Last year

Ah I didn't realise he was their last spot. Yep, agree in that case, they look like team #9.

Reply #920288 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Last year

Well the press release was worded oddly in that they've "finalised the local contingent of their roster" which implies there still might be an import to come but as they've got 11 players signed to the roster now plus a NS I'm not sure why the they didn't just say they've completed their roster now.

Returning: Sobey, Baynes, Mitchell, Harrison

In: Smith*, Scott*, Norton, White, McDaniel, Bannan, Hadley, Zikarsky (NS)

Reply #920290 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last year

Brisbane defensively look a lot stronger, Baynes and Sobey play team ball they will be a lot better.

Reply #920291 | Report this post

Fairsy  
Last year

I could not disagree with any of that AngusH. I am not sold on NZ yet either. They are going to have to nail their remaining 2 imports. They are going smallball too.

Reply #920292 | Report this post

Anonymightymouse  
Last year

Yeah I think Brisbane look a lot more balanced this year, plus have Baynes and Sobey fit heading into pre-season, which will make a big difference.

Agree NZ could be awesome if they nail the final two imports, and average if they don't.

Reply #920295 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last year

Until all list are completed, it's to early to predict, it’s not that long ago that you had to go through Perth to win it and yet I’m not sold on there side yet, aside from Cotton and he’s ageing. Still time for sides to make some smart moves.

Reply #920303 | Report this post

Jimmyhooper15  
Last year

Perth have tried hard to lure Yani Wetzell from Berlin but to be knocked back.

Reply #920338 | Report this post

MD  
Last year

Perth are known to be looking very hard at imports already here for NBL1 (Dove and Walker) and are then likely to use the remaining import spot on someone who would publicly fit in the marquee mould (likely someone who is primarily a 4 who can play alongside Pinder). It could be suggested NBA experience might be a given for this spot.

Reply #920396 | Report this post

Fairsy  
Last year

You cannot be serious MD, I will walk to Perth naked if they pick a couple of NBL1 imports.

Reply #920429 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Last year

I know he's Cotton's buddy but the Devondrick Walker nonsense should've finally be put to bed, he's been a failed import at two different NBL teams now.

Reply #920430 | Report this post

Basket 91  
Last year

Wouldn't mind going Walker if they got a guaranteed superstar (Hogg type guy) with the other money.

Reply #920433 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:30 am, Sun 28 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754