2023 NBL Blitz Gold Coast

Topic #51244 | Report this topic

Zodiac  
Last year

I'm old enough to remember an NBL team from the Gold Coast, both of them lol

Reply #920511 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last year

Gold Coast has a lot more permanent population than in the previous franchises. I think a team there now would work, certainly if they could get a wealthy Asian owner.

Great to see preseason there.

Reply #920530 | Report this post

Sebastian  
Last year

It's a waste land for professional sport

Reply #920531 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Last year

Obviously the NBL are seeing what bites they might get with this but in general GC is a sports teams graveyard and the NBL would be almost reckless to go to the well a third time.

Reply #920532 | Report this post

Ben  
Last year

Yeah, Gold Coast ain't it.

Be cool if the interest/money was there again, but it's not right now.

Perfect location at the GCEC, I loved going there as a ticket holder the few years the Blaze existed. Fwiw the franchise then would've had far more success if the team wasn't run like a backyard operation.

Reply #920535 | Report this post

KET  
Last year

Really any GC team would need to be perfect location, size and price.

If I remember correctly, wasn't the stadium cost way too high?

I wouldn’t bother if they had to go with a crappier stadium, worse location, smaller size tbh.

Part of the entertainment value is going to sport is going to a good venue...

And then there’s the attendance….is this a city that can regularly get 5-8k people through the turnstiles?

Reply #920540 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Last year

The reality is there are not many 'new' locations the NBL can set up a new franchise.

Many thought Tasmania would never come back but they have, if the situation is right (I am completely oblivious to costs, population, transport and infrastructure) then why not put the feelers out.

Illawarra have a league worst supporter base yet they survive each time.

Reply #920542 | Report this post

Sebastian  
Last year

If I am going anywhere first, I'm going to Wellington. Wealthy owner, creates a road double in NZ...but there is no infrastructure benefit for Larry.

Reply #920543 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last year

Wellington owner won't pay Larry K buy in price.

Reply #920544 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Last year

Nick Mills declined any notion of paying a franchise fee to the NBL even when it was much cheaper before LK arrived on the scene.

Although there's nothing stopping somebody else from Wellington stumping up the cash.

Reply #920548 | Report this post

NBLTigers  
Last year

Can't see the Gold Coast working. Wish Blaze worked since they had a good run in the league. Blaze had terrible owners running the team.

How can another GC franchise work?

Reply #920552 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Last year

Blaze had terrible owners running the team.

The owners were gullible and got milked by Joyce and Heal.

Reply #920571 | Report this post

Statman84  
Last year

@Peethworld - exactly. They would probably still be around if that didn't happen.

Under current league ownership, I would have faith in them if they brought GC back. People said the same when Tassie and a 2nd Melbourne team were on their radar.

Reply #920580 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:11 am, Sun 28 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754