PyroCross
Last year

Parker Jackson-Cartwright to Breakers

Olgun just tweeted following EuroZone Basket's reporting.

5’11’ guard who last season went 18-4-8 in the Turkish league (albeit on the third-bottom team). Seems like a shot creator - could be the shorter version of Barry Brown. Will be interested to know his defensive game stacks up, particularly at that height.

Topic #51255 | Report this topic

LAKingsKempe  
Last year

Small but looks quick and a nice 3 , and also looks to have good assist figures throughout his career.

Reply #920742 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last year

Great player, he's a point guard, so not certain why breakers would want him with WMW. Maybe the euro money has reduced this season due to the war and bad economic times but nbl seems to be getting a fair few good euro players.

Reply #920748 | Report this post

Anonymightymouse  
Last year

NBL clubs know with the standard of the league they need guys who have been very good players in good Euro comps. It's been that way for a little while now. The amount of players doing the NBL-NBA jump is making recruiting a lot easier now.

Reply #920751 | Report this post

EssenX  
Last year

I feel like the Breakers just signed the closest thing to Bryce Cotton.

Reply #920754 | Report this post

NBLTigers  
Last year

Heard of this guy. Bounced around a few leagues in Europe. Has grown heaps since playing with Cheshire Phoenix of the British BBL.

Is small but has game, can't wait to see his game.

Reply #920755 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last year

He was the mvp of the BBL 22/23 season, I've watched him over the seasons, fantastic player, not certain how he plays anywhere but the point though. Breakers will certainly be stacked if he signs.

Reply #920756 | Report this post

Mystro  
Last year

EssenX, that's what I thought when I first saw his highlights.
Looks to be super quick off the dribble with a decent outside shot.

Reply #920759 | Report this post

Ben  
Last year

Like Dunkman, my first thought was that why would the Breakers want this dude when they already have Will.

Reply #920760 | Report this post

EssenX  
Last year

The Breakers are being dishonest that they couldn't afford last seasons imports. It’s clear that they use that as a polite way to move on and go in a different direction knowing that what got them close last year wouldn’t be enough to win the championship.

Reply #920761 | Report this post

Mystro  
Last year

Jackson Cartwright is the creator Maor was talking about getting at Summer League. A guy that they can give the ball to who can just go get a bucket.
His speed and range will open up the floor for the others and gives NZ another guy who can run the offence.

Reply #920763 | Report this post

Kolzee  
Last year

If this signing comes through they've got a great mix in their squad and will be more of a threat than last year. He's exactly the type of player they need considering the other signings and I don't think him playing at SG would be an issue

Reply #920764 | Report this post

Anonymightymouse  
Last year

Exciting season coming up, that's for sure. Lots of talent all around the league.

Reply #920765 | Report this post

Anonymightymouse  
Last year

The thing with this side is if you take the ball out of WMW's hands they just reverse it and PJC runs the ball-screen, and vice versa.

The questions will be whether they're shooters hit enough shots and whether they can be as good defensively as last season I suppose.

Reply #920766 | Report this post

EssenX  
Last year

The problem the Breakers had last year was Le'afa’s handle is way too loose to be a PG against good defenders that can press. Way too many turnovers. Brown wasn’t really a PG either so they had to go to McNaught who brings great energy but won’t ever be able to play big minutes at this level. This creates two problems: WMW injured or minutes restriction; and, WMW gets gassed (game 5 finals). This signing gives them true cover for WMW and allows Leafa to play to his strengths. WMW and Cotton v2 can also play together and go side to side as above, which will be impossible to defend if the Breakers can shoot reliably from the 3. Big if, but exciting to see the league next year. It just keeps getting better, other than the 36ers of course.

Reply #920767 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last year

If he signs and is as good as I remember him, breakers start favourites for title.

Reply #920769 | Report this post

PyroCross  
Last year

If WMW was 6'0’, I’d have concerns on the defensive end if WMW and Jackson Cartwright shared a backcourt. WMW’s length and Jackson-Cartwright’s steal rate leave room for possibility there, especially with Le’afa backing up.

Also agree with the earlier comment about Le’afa’s handle being a concern. I would say WMW can stray down that area too - see Justin Simon/Gm 3.

Reply #920787 | Report this post

EssenX  
Last year

It's official: https://i.stuff.co.nz/sport/basketball/300940891/nz-breakers-confirm-dynamic-guard-parker-jacksoncartwright-as-second-import

Interesting that they suggest he might be their best import guard ever and likely to start alongside WMW. Jessup to be confirmed soon.

Reply #921192 | Report this post

Kolzee  
Last year

Massive signing. Also refers to him taking less money than elsewhere which is interesting

To me this signing makes them the most balanced squad in the comp

Certainly seems their budget has increased!

Reply #921193 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last year

Unbelievable, a few players returning back to nbl, playing for less. This guy is a player, breakers probably favourites now.

Reply #921197 | Report this post

AngusH  
Last year

This guys is definitely a baller. We've got a couple of mighty mice in the league this season, its going to be interesting to see how they fare in the NBL style of play.

Reply #921198 | Report this post

Mystro  
Last year

A lot of teams are looking better on paper than last year but I'm pretty impressed with this season’s Breakers roster.

Awesome to have Delaney back and I think he’ll thrive playing off WMW.

Import trio of Jackson-Cartwright, Jessup & Cheatham looks to compliment the local contingent well.

Reply #921200 | Report this post

Johnson14  
Last year

As mentioned above he's very similar to Bryce Cotton. The Breakers have put together a nice squad but sit below Sydney with three quality imports and the Hawks with three quality imports and the team with the most depth.

Reply #921201 | Report this post

Kolzee  
Last year

While the kings have an awesome roster it feels backcourt heavy to me and not enough presence in their bigs. Guess we'll see soon enough

Reply #921204 | Report this post

AntAntAnt  
Last year

Interested in why people are so bullish on this guy but not Jordon Crawford. Both have very similar stats from the same league. Is is just the six inches difference in height?

Reply #921233 | Report this post

AngusH  
Last year

"While the kings have an awesome roster it feels backcourt heavy to me and not enough presence in their bigs. Guess we'll see soon enough "

I agree with this. I like our roster, but lots is going to be asked of Hunter and Bolden.

Reply #921236 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Last year

Is is just the six inches difference in height?

Big, big difference between 5'11" and 5'6". You can get away with being 5'11" until age catches up with you but 5'6" you would need to play at lightning bolt pace at all times to not be exploited.

Reply #921242 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last year

I wouldn't think J-C was taller than 5’10", not as good a shot as Cotton, probably better going through traffic,a big statement I know, early favourite for mvp in a hot field.

Reply #921245 | Report this post

AngusH  
Last year

Lack of spacing in the NBL tends to be the killer for small PGs compared to other leagues. I don't think the Breakers will have that issue, especially if Delany has continued to get better from outside.

Reply #921247 | Report this post

Anonymightymouse  
Last year

It's generally the combination of team defence and pressure in the NBL that creates the spacing issues by forcing players away from predictable receiver spots. When teams didn't get that right against the Breakers last year they were certainly very good at opening the floor up.

Reply #921249 | Report this post

Yup  
Last year

JC off the bench in Browns role ? But playing more PG and less SF?

Reply #921253 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:46 am, Mon 29 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754