Gus3232
Last year

Thank you Delly

If this is indeed the end of the international career of Delly, it's the end of a remarkable run with the Boomers.

Along the lines of blokes like Borner, Bradtke and Vlahov, this guy was an utter warrior who left everything on court, wasn’t afraid to get steamrolled by a big bloke and would make any sacrifice necessary for the green and gold.

He really was the epitome of Boomers culture and will be sorely missed.

Thanks Delly, your hustle and efforts in the Australian uniform will be long remembered.

Topic #51298 | Report this topic

Isaac  
Last year

The very first forum mention of "Dellavedova" was in mid-2005 by MELHOOPS:

This kid could provide an upset all by himself. Write his name down and don't forget it.
At that point, Delly was 14 years old and still two years from joining the AIS.

Multiple years in the NBA as a contributor, singlet retired by his college, NBA championship, Olympic medal, etc.

Play D and work hard, kids.

Reply #921714 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Last year

What grit, what determination.

When Delly retires from professional basketball LeBron and the city of Cleveland should be the first ones who thank him.

Reply #921726 | Report this post

Sherro  
Last year

No better example of where effort, attitude and commitment will get you both on and off the court.

Reply #921728 | Report this post

Ballin Fan  
Last year

Going to camp he would have known that the two young NBA point guards Giddy and Dyson would be hard to beat. He would have known that combo guards Dante and Millsy would be hard to unseat.
He went to camp to make them all earn their spots because this is the culture.
I am not going to stop wearing his shoes just because he is on the unlucky side of this.

Reply #921729 | Report this post

JT  
Last year

I've shown copious amounts of video featuring Delly’s grit, determination and hustle. A brilliant example to young players of getting everything out of your ability, and fearing no one (see the 2015 Finals). It’s been a privilege to watch his career in the green and gold, a genuinely team-first player and a Boomers legend. An amazing legacy. He deservedly has a bronze medal to hang up home, and whatever the team does in the future, a slice of that belongs to him - along with all the others that got Australian basketball to its current standing.

Reply #921730 | Report this post

hoopie  
Last year

I don't think he will retire as long as there’s a chance he might get called up as an emergency. I expect the retirement after Paris is held.

Reply #921731 | Report this post

rjd  
Last year

Why can't he still get picked for the qualification games? Delly would be invaluable and an automatic selection to teach the fringe guys the Boomers culture.

Don't retire yet, Delly!

Reply #921738 | Report this post

AngusH  
Last year

I hope he's still involved with the team in some way shape or form, even if it's not until after his (NBL) playing days are done.

Reply #921747 | Report this post

LV  
Last year

Thank you Delly, you warrior.

But don't farewell him just yet, he's only an injury or absence away from Paris. Or even the world cup.

My favourite Delly memory is the clip of his defence on Dirk.

Reply #921754 | Report this post

chillbaby  
Last year

My first memory of Delly must of been what I think may have been his first Boomers game in some qualifier vs NZ. Even though, at the time, I couldn't pronounce his name (no dis-respect!), I could not believe the defensive intensity of this teenager and recall commenting to my wife we need to watch this guy. Like Jason Smith now (and that's another story as to why it took so long for him to be recognized and employed by BA) he still has so much to offer Australian basketball, whether as a player or administrator/coach and BA should do everything in their power to keep him aboard in some capacity

Reply #921766 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Last year

Like Jason Smith now (and that's another story as to why it took so long for him to be recognized and employed by BA)

Do tell. Did he leave Macquarie or is BA a side gig?

Reply #921771 | Report this post

Cram  
Last year

My first time seeing Delly was at a practice game for Aus under 19s against France in Melbourne before the U19 world cup. I remember leaving thinking he was one of the true stars in the making (if he could fix his janky jumpshot haha). But any cred I get from that is lost when the other guy I thought was Cody Ellis :)

I was lucky enough to be in Rio to see his perfect game against Serbia in the group stage. Missed out on seeing him live on an NBA court though.

Reply #921772 | Report this post

AngusH  
Last year

Delly and Patty reaching the twilight of their careers - reasons #3,271 of why I feel old. I still remember the first Patty Mills AUS-USA game when he was still at St Mary's IIRC and delivered a vintage Patty Mills performance even at that age, Delly also with the upset over Villanova and then with a pretty unlikely yet very successful NBA career that saw him perform on the biggest stage at the biggest time. Glad they got the rose gold already - regardless of performance at the coming world cup and with how bright the future looks with Giddey and co, I've definitely enjoyed the journey up until this point and I'm not sure I'll ever enjoy watching a Boomers squad more than I did those of this past generation.

Reply #921773 | Report this post

Cram  
Last year

I thought the same after the Gaze-Bradtke-Vlahov-Heal era and in fairness it took a while, but it came!

Reply #921774 | Report this post

AngusH  
Last year

Yeah when the Gaze/Bradtke era ended it's comparable I guess to Australian men's soccer the past couple of years, with some big names going without necessarily the same quality of young guys coming up. Felt like we'd peaked at that point in time, and I never imagined we'd reach a stage where we'd be cutting guys who'd have started for us not too many years ago.

Reply #921795 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Last year

Socceroos weren't replenished sadly and what a chasm - 2006 is going to be two decades ago soon.

Back then you could play Premier League fantasy and fill out a starting eleven and bench solely with Aussies. Now there is only a single player in it with one career game to his name.

But boy have the Boomers/NBA made up for it.

Reply #921810 | Report this post

chillbaby  
Last year

Hi Perthworld. Re Jason Smith it was a side gig however BA have now taken him on full-time as Senior Development Manager of not just Boomers and Opals but the Junior teams also. Great pickup for all the programs and he was a BIG part in the Boomers Olympic program and recent Opals Asia Cup

Reply #921880 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Last year

That's good to hear as Jason was one of the hardest workers in the NBL.

Reply #921956 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:50 am, Mon 29 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754