Ben
Last year

Boomers vs Brazil

Just creating a fresh thread for easier reference moving forward re discussion of these games.

Next up tonight is Brazil, tips 5:30 VIC/NSW.

Topic #51313 | Report this topic

Ballin Fan  
Last year

Green Goulding and Landale in jackets and jeans watching the warm up

No surprises there.

Reply #922134 | Report this post

Big Fudge  
Last year

I watched game 1 last night on 9 Now, can anyone tell me if not watching live do these games go to the 9 Now app right away as a reply or do you need to wait? I wont be able to watch live but was hoping to tonight at some stage.

Reply #922135 | Report this post

Andrew  
Last year

Bug Fudge I started watching the Venezeula game 30 mins after it started. The 9 Now app allowed me to watch from the start at this point. Yes you can watch the replay at any time... there is no waiting time.

Reply #922136 | Report this post

Andrew  
Last year

Anyone know what Greens injury is?

Reply #922137 | Report this post

Ballin Fan  
Last year

Elbow.
Apparently Jack and Green trained this morning and are expected to suit tomorrow night

Reply #922138 | Report this post

Big Fudge  
Last year

Thanks Andrew appreciate it, and Ballin good to see Greens injury is nothing serious.

Reply #922139 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Last year

Getting spanked early here

Reply #922140 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Last year

I'm old enough to remember when we used to be good at basketball.

Reply #922141 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Last year

Kay exposed, no athleticism. Thybulle looking like crap early.

Reply #922142 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Last year

Ahh... decals... how I've missed you over the winter...

Reply #922143 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Last year

Ingles with a quick 3 heavily contested... hmmm

Reply #922144 | Report this post

takeacharge  
Last year

I'm old enough to remember when we used to take physical contact.

Reply #922145 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Last year

Good first quarter wakeup call. I want us to be challenged in these games.

Reply #922146 | Report this post

JCK98  
Last year

Even at internationals, we still gotta show the footballers (or former footballers) in the crowd, this time with a channel 9 flavour.

Reply #922147 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Last year

Shame we couldn't see maker or pinder.

Reply #922148 | Report this post

Knockdown3  
Last year

Was just thinking the same thing Weedy slug.

Switching everything is killing us defensively.

Some horrid contested shots being put up.

Reply #922149 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Last year

One thing Kay can do much better over cooks n white is shoot the 3, struggling to box out and rbd though.

Reply #922150 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Last year

Hopefully mills finds his groove before the WC.

Reply #922151 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last year

Just getting the rust out, I thought White was very good and a nice three as well.

Reply #922152 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last year

Very nice crowd in the sporting capital, considering the early start and Matilda's on next.

Reply #922153 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Last year

Yeah this is a real mess of a game here. We usually have one of these in every warm up series so let's get it our of the way now. The heartening thing is how bad we are playing to only be down by 2. I can't imagine us playing like this twice. One glaring issue is clearly size inside, ability to defend the three and thr ability to make shots. The need for Chris Goulding as some kind of shooter is becoming apparent.

I am sure the team is just working through some plays but you'd not want to drop a game like this in the cup.

Reply #922154 | Report this post

I'm worried about Mills, I don't think he's ever shot this poorly for Australia. We can't win against Germany and Finland if he continues to play badly like this.
I believe in him, but if he doesn't shoot like this in the warm-up match in Japan, he might not be a starter.

vs Venezuela
FG 3-9 / 2P 2-3 / 3P 1-6

vs Brazil (Half)
FG 0-6 / 2P 0-1 / 3P 0-5

Reply #922155 | Report this post

Anonymightymouse  
Last year

He'll be a starter. Practice games mean nothing for a player of that quality.

Reply #922156 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Last year

Patty's just turned 35 and little 6'0" guys that rely on their speed and athleticism can fall off a cliff pretty quickly which given his downward slide in the NBA and what we're seeing here appears to be the case.

No doubt we'll still keep him on for the Olympics next year but he, Ingles and maybe Goulding will probably retire after that.

Reply #922157 | Report this post

Anonymightymouse  
Last year

We'll see.

Reply #922158 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Last year

I wouldn't look past japan either

Reply #922159 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Last year

Cooks on the boards been good.

Reply #922160 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Last year

Love Cooks

Reply #922161 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Last year

Good recovering block by Kay, Giddey easily the standout over 2 games.

Reply #922162 | Report this post

Gus3232  
Last year

Exactly the type of game they needed. Ugly, grind it out type of game. All helping with the prep.

Reply #922163 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Last year

As I was saying Patty's still a great player he's just easing himself into it.

Reply #922164 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Last year

People should know better by now than to doubt FIBA Patty
(and FIBA Kay for that matter)

Reply #922165 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Last year

An ugly grind it out win here would do us the world of good.

Reply #922168 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Last year

Down to goulding vs Daniels?

Reply #922169 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Last year

Goulding's too important to leave out, I think it needs to be Daniels.

Cooks and White both offer too much and play well together too.

Reply #922170 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Last year

I like the little fella for Brazil he's got as big motor and has been doing his bit to get under Giddey's skin too.

Reply #922171 | Report this post

I hope Daniels plays with confidence.

Reply #922172 | Report this post

Ben  
Last year

The constant playing of music during the game is total trash.

Reply #922173 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Last year

Yago dos Santos only 5'10" played in Germany last season and just signed with a EuroLeague team for this season.

Reply #922174 | Report this post

Jiba  
Last year

I give up, can't figure it out. Who is the young big suited up on the Boomers bench? Seen him around.....

Reply #922175 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Last year

Wessels he's training with the team at the moment, no doubt due to Landale's injury.

Reply #922176 | Report this post

MaxM  
Last year

This Brazilian bloke Benite is an absolute sniper, holyyyy

Reply #922177 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Last year

We deserve to lose this game, our attitude has been pretty poor

Reply #922178 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Last year

Fuck I like the little fella.

Reply #922179 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Last year

This is the kick up the ass we deserved, we showed Brazil no respect early on.

Reply #922180 | Report this post

koberulz  
Last year

The FIBA challenge system is ridiculous.

Reply #922181 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Last year

Brazil have done a nice job of picking our D apart

Reply #922182 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Last year

Getting rid of 2 rim protectors probably not a great idea in hindsight.

Reply #922183 | Report this post

Our inside was destroyed today. I warned you when the preliminary roster came out, obviously. No Landale, and the inside gets destroyed like this?

Reply #922184 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Last year

This loss is karma for our lacklustre anthem participation

Reply #922185 | Report this post

Ballin Fan  
Last year

What was our foul shooting percentage ?

Reply #922186 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Last year

17/24 = 71% FT

Reply #922187 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last year

Both Cooks and White should go, the side looks better when they're on, I’d probably leave Thyabull out, wasn’t convinced on Inglis game either.

Again just a practice game to get the rust out.

Reply #922188 | Report this post

Pablo Escobar  
Last year

Giddey at the point is not the answer. Australia do not play with a point guard who has the ball in his hands that much. It detracts from others and if the shit hits the fan, I'll put money on Giddey going to the bench. Most likely Exum starts at the 1 and Ingles will come in for Thybulle.
Cooks will miss out on selection. Not big enough for international ball and a liability at the foul line.
They'll get more out of this loss than pinching a win.

Reply #922189 | Report this post

There are three warm-up match left to play.
If FIBA Patty doesn't come back, he really can't be the starter.

Patty vs Venezuela
FG 3-9 / 2P 2-3 / 3P 1-6

Patty vs Brazil
FG 2-13 / 2P 0-1 / 3P 2-12

-----------------------------------------------------------------

I was very clear. We need to find a way at the 5.
A lot of people have said small ball, but that's on the condition that we make shots in every game.
Even if we have Landale, if the shots don't go in like they did today, we're going to lose.

Reply #922190 | Report this post

Shaggy  
Last year

Yeah, that was very ugly tonight given Monday night's master-class. Pretty sure that's one of those "learn from" games. Goorg will be hammering the replays for the next 48 hours.

Just remember the Dream Team lost their first game as a team. Was the best thing to happen to them.

Reply #922192 | Report this post

Master Chief  
Last year

No use getting rid of experienced players now & there is no way Giddey goes to the bench.

International basketball is tight, and tonight their opposition were better, so credit to them.

No room for error when it comes down to it, and there's going to be lots of disappointed teams after the tournament. Australia could well be one of them.

Reply #922193 | Report this post

Hooping  
Last year

Thybulle/Kay. -14/-13 - Felt like too small to contain their bigs, and then dont provide enough offense at the other end.

Cooks +10
White +4

Daniels looks like he doesnt want to be there. Gives no energy at all, ball pressure is non-existant. Going to be a bust as a 12th player. May as well take Delly or Goulding who will help inject energy into team.

Then we don't have anyone to guard a quick guard. Schroeder going rip us apart.

Josh Green better to be ready to step up.

If they shoot like that from the perimeter then be lucky to get to Manilla.

Reply #922194 | Report this post

Ballin Fan  
Last year

They need to be better prepared for teams that play big zones
and foul a lot to slow them down

Reply #922195 | Report this post

Hooping  
Last year

The practice game schedule seems rather poor in comparison to most other teams.

Reply #922196 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Last year

Yeah Daniels attitude, could have been told he was cut already.
2 games in, id changes couod be made and players recalled, I'd cut both Daniels n goulding and bring in...

Giddey
Exum
Mills
Proctor or mcdowell white
Green
Thybulle
Ingles
White
Cooks
Kay, Pinder or Maker(all 3 should have been in these friendlies)
Landale
Reath

Reply #922199 | Report this post

DraftBust  
Last year

I feel that the cutting of Maker and Pinder before these warmup games was a mistake. Especially Maker. An athletic big who can switch defensively and rim protect is missing from this team. If Landale goes down again we're in big trouble. Giving Maker a go in these game would have helped getting a better sense of what he could bring to the table as a defender, rebounder, and rim protector.

Reply #922200 | Report this post

MaxM  
Last year

There's no point complaining about who should have been brought, what's done is done.

Goorj and the coaches are better selectors than all of us.

Can't believe people are saying Giddey won't start when he's dropped 14/9/8 and 20/10/4. What more do you want him to do?

Landale, Green, Goulding will solve some immediate problems with shooting and defensive size.

This team has only played together in two games. We will be okay.

Reply #922202 | Report this post

This is a lineup I came up with after only two games, obviously it's not the right answer, and it could be different tomorrow.

Giddey - Exum
Green - Mills - Goulding
Thybulle - Ingles
White - Kay
Landale - Reath - Cooks

Giddey needs the ball a lot, so I swapped Green, and White, who can shoot 3-pointers, for the starters.
Exum doesn't need the ball as much, so if you center him around Mills, you'll have good results.

Reply #922203 | Report this post

MaxM  
Last year

I don't think he will be cut because of our apparent issues with size, but I thought Xavier Cooks was pretty underwhelming tonight and even against Venezuela.

He is a good defender against people his size, but him being undersized at the 5 pretty much cancels that out.

Offensively he brings nothing unless he has the ball in transition. In the half court he is horrendous. Not a good screener, nor he is an especially good offensive rebounder.

Needs to improve.

Reply #922204 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Last year

Analysts and reporters and fans are going to pour over this footage from the game constantly for the next 24-48 hours but I think Joe Ingles words in the post-game interview said it best, "oh obviously if it were in a tournament we'd do some things differently".

The thing about warm up games is you don't know if a team is running their main rotations or main offenses or defenses, or if theyre junking everything up, and trying a bunch of stuff with no real care for the scoreboard.

Of course, the team would have preferred to win that game but I got no sense anyone was deeply disappointed and like they went above and beyond to do so.

I can't think of a single warm up tournament the Boomers have ever had where they haven't played a head scratching game, or a game that make you question the whole thing, and then when the tournament rolls on they're one of the best teams out there.

However you can only judge the game you see, and my takeaways are this:

= We cannot rely on Josh Giddey to run the offense at all times. The ball gets too stuck in his hands and it causes stagnancy in the half court. I could legitimately see an argument to bring Delly back for one of the last spots to havbe him run back up point, as I think Exum ios more suited to slashing than ball handling.

= Patty Mills shooting must improve.

= Jack White and Xavier Cooks are essential to the team

= Given the three point issues, Chris Goulding is a lock

= I think Dysson Daniels is gone

= Questions around defending the three, however it is hard to tell how serious the issue is, given that we have so many long guards and so much defensive talent. Could it simply just be that we were trying out a defense that wasn't suited to that tonight?

= Obviously size remains a bit of a question for the team

Anyway I don't think we saw the "real" Boomers tonight, and as ugly and uncomfortable as the game was to watch, I cannot believe it's a true relfection of where we would be if we went into this game with a scout on brazil and a will to specifically win the game.

Reply #922205 | Report this post

DraftBust  
Last year

No question that Goorj and the coaches are better selectors than all of us! The test will be how this team fares. If rim protection, rebounding, and switching defensively becomes an ongoing issue of course the question will arise about keeping a back up defensive big as a safety net.

Reply #922206 | Report this post

twenty four  
Last year

"Can't believe people are saying Giddey won't start when he's dropped 14/9/8 and 20/10/4. What more do you want him to do?"

Go better than 7-19 from the field?

Reply #922207 | Report this post

MaxM  
Last year

If you're going to be critical on shooting percentage then have a go at Ingles or Mills instead of skipping to Giddey

Reply #922208 | Report this post

twenty four  
Last year

Yeah they sucked tonight too. Happy?

Reply #922209 | Report this post

MaxM  
Last year

I don't see what Jack White or Xavier Cooks have done in these 2 games to say they are "essential to the team".

Reply #922210 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Last year

"I don't see what Jack White or Xavier Cooks have done in these 2 games to say they are "essential to the team"."

You dont see the gaping gap aroun the ring and inability to board we would have without them?

Reply #922211 | Report this post

KET  
Last year

Kinda looked like the 36ers - insufficient bigs, no three point success to speak of and an offence that didn't look like it was achieving much.

So if Giddey gets out muscled, Mills is slow, Ingles a bit too old and Landale gets in foul trouble...what are the Boomers going to do?

Athletic wings are great until you need basics of basketball covered…

Reply #922212 | Report this post

Anonymightymouse  
Last year

Boomers won points in the paint 40-32 and scores from 2s and FTs 59-42. The inside wasn't quite the issue it's being made out to be.

Some things to work on re their switching schemes, which is good to have be shown in practice games rather than first game of the WC.

Ultimately though, they lost by 4 on a night when Mills and Ingles shot 3/17 from outside.

Reply #922213 | Report this post

MaxM  
Last year

Cooks and White both had 4 rebounds each tonight. Not a massive presence inside.

I'm not saying they shouldn't be in the team, i was just surprised to hear them be classed as "essential" when a lot of the speculation on the team over the past weeks has been around one of White or Cooks being cut.

Reply #922214 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Last year

White had 4 & 8 in 16 mins in the last game and Cooks 5, 5 and 4 blocks in 16 mins in that game too.

Now do you see why some of us think both should go and perhaps Daniels left out?

Reply #922215 | Report this post

Rock Strongo  
Last year

Giddey played like it's an NBA regular season game padding his stats. 7 of 19 with only 4 assists. Giddey can’t be taking the most shot attempts. I expect Patty to attempt a lot of shots. All other boomers with only single figure shot attempts. Boomers offensive is ugly

I miss Lemanis offensive sets. Granted the team was different but the boomers played some beautiful basketball at the 2019 World Cup

Reply #922216 | Report this post

BALLER#3  
Last year

Jeez few worry warts in here tonight. Boomers always play weird in the warmups. Also with green and landale they will be much better.

Green should start for thybulle as he has an elite corner 3 and then you slot in landale at centre and it's all of a sudden OK.

Depth for our bigs is only an issue with injuries.

Reply #922217 | Report this post

We were consistently double-teamed on the inside.
That's because White, Kay, and Cooks are not 5.
The double teams inevitably led to weak defense against outside shots.
Brazil 3P 16-35 (45%)

Reply #922218 | Report this post

Rock Strongo  
Last year

Daniels should get cut, very talented young player with a very bright future. I'd expect him to be a major part of the Boomers in the near future but right now looks out of his depth/lacking confidence. While it would be great to take him for the experience, that final spot will need to go to a big or a shooter

Reply #922219 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Last year

Yeah I have some concerns around Giddey running the show. The ball gets a bit stuck in his hands and he plays a bit like he wants to be the guy who makes the assist rather than being selfless enough to make the obvious pass and let the team sort itself out. Maybe that irons out but it's an issue right now.

Context is also everything, and this was a pretty ugly and frankly poor game for the Boomers and they still 'barely' lost to a team that is bigger and was shooting white hot, and when you consider all of the different ways teams approach warm up games, and working on 'their own stuff' rather than worrying too much about winning, it may not be a big deal. But still... shooting looks like a problem at the moment. Depending on what they were trying to do with their sets tonight as to whether it presents that badly at the cup. But I remember in 2016 just how badly we were hurt when Serbia took us out of our offensive sets and we couldn't buy a basket. I hope all this play b planning is for situations like that.

Reply #922220 | Report this post

It was our defense problem that Brazil's shot was hot. inside double team and PnR defense

Reply #922221 | Report this post

Knockdown3  
Last year

Im really missing Lemsanis' offense right now.
I know its futile to say so, but it was sorely missed tonight, especially as Giddey was playing so much with the ball in his hands. (As ME said , appearing to play for the assist.)
When you combine that that with a relatively stagnant offense, it doesn't look inspiring.
Granted, i dont expect such poor outside shooting again from Ingles and Mills.

I'd prefer Exum at point at least 40-50% of the time to generate some offensive variety

Reply #922222 | Report this post

KET  
Last year

Boomers style is a lot slower, less slick that's for sure

Reply #922223 | Report this post

In the end, this all comes down to shooting.

Reply #922224 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Last year

Jeez few worry warts in here tonight. Boomers always play weird in the warmups.

This, we always drop one during warmups before every major campaign and the reaction on here is always the same. I have the Iverson "practice, not a game" rant in my head now.

Reply #922225 | Report this post

hoopie  
Last year

We needed to use our athleticism and size to create better shots, and I wasn't convinced tonight that we knew how to do that.

Reply #922226 | Report this post

Pablo Escobar  
Last year

'Can't believe people are saying Giddey won't start when he's dropped 14/9/8 and 20/10/4. What more do you want him to do?'

That's exactly the issue, he's doing too much, and when it's your point guard, others aren't getting the ball where they want it, and when they want it. He is also a poor close out player on D, with little sense of urgency.
He is not a true point guard in terms of organising and running a team, but good at creating his own shot when the D makes an error allowing him to use his length and size to get on the rim.

IF the shite hits the fan, he will be the casualty going to the bench where what he offers offensively would be more valuable in shorter rotational minutes.

Reply #922227 | Report this post

MaxM  
Last year

I think we'll have to agree to disagree on Giddey :)

Anyone here know how South Sudan compare to Brazil? I've barely looked at the roster

Reply #922228 | Report this post

twenty four  
Last year

I was wary of a Giddey/Mills backcourt. Mainly because of the issues we'd have defensively, but I guess the flow on effect is that Matisse probably has to start alongside them. That means your point guard is a poor shooter with no mid range game (and not a great finisher), your shooting guard is barely six foot tall and your three is a limited offensive player in general. It's not great on paper and it wasn't great on the court either.

To be honest I hope we don't see it (meaning those three plus two bigs) too much going forward. Whether that means bringing Mills off the bench and starting Green, moving Giddey and Thybulle to the bench and starting Exum and Ingles, or going small and starting Ingles at the 4, I don't know. But if we struggled that much against a not even full strength Brazil... it's a bit scary.

Reply #922230 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last year

Like the US team, it takes to adjust to fiba rules, this team is all nba players.

Reply #922231 | Report this post

MaxM  
Last year

Some very insightful comments from Brian Goorjian's press conference tonight. I didn't watch it myself but Olgun and others has posted some of the most significant points.

See below:

1. Jock Landale, Josh Green, Chris Goulding are all part of "our 8... in the rotation" heading into the world cup.

2. Goorjian on the final roster - "We're leaning towards big, we're deep on the perimeter and we're leaning towards Duop."

3. Goorjian on things to work on moving forward - "We struggled and we're totally stuck against the zone... we need to work on that. We got beat on the boards were slow on rotation. We had groups that did things well and groups that struggled as we tried to work out who do we get to play with who but I feel confident these are things that will get corrected."

4. He is adamant he sees bigger roles for Dante Exum and Duop Reath heading into the world cup.

Make of this what you will

Reply #922232 | Report this post

MaxM  
Last year

Only real thing of interest there IMO is that Chris Goulding will (apparently) be part of the 8 man rotation.

Shows how severe our shooting worries are.

Reply #922233 | Report this post

MaxM  
Last year

Also of note - speculation from journalists such as Michael Randall and Olgun Uluc both believe that Dyson Daniels will get selected.

In Randall's article for CODE Sports, he specified that "it appears" the last spot has come down to Jack White or Duop Reath. Interesting.

Based on Goorj's post game comments, could Jack White be the one to miss out?

Of course pretty much all of this is just rumours and hearsay but I thought it was of interest.

Reply #922234 | Report this post

RobT  
Last year

With the apparent questions over Thybulle's inclusion, be nice if we had Bryce Cotton to call on.

Reply #922235 | Report this post

Kev  
Last year

Jack White certainly ain't ready, but then next year we are stuck with a lack of bigs. Nick Kaye was always a poor signing, look how that turned out

Reply #922236 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Last year

Watching the other games, we are way off atm...
Hopefully we can get it together.
Sudan missing half the roster, so no excuses

Reply #922237 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Last year

As for being way off, I think we have said that in every warm up series ever and then game 1 of the tournament starts and we are one of the top teams. I just think we might toy around with things more in warm ups than other teams.

Reply #922238 | Report this post

KET  
Last year

I think Australia looked better for Thybulle on the court. I have no clue why anyone would criticise Kay - he's such a good steadying factor.

I hate to be that person, but I think Simmons actually will play Paris 2024 unless legitimately injured. That changes the big issues a bit. I wonder whether a healthy Humphries is a Boomers candidate? If he has a healthy season and gets back to fitness, he’s the ideal stature and skill set to replace Baynes’ role....

I thought we had some really strong pre-tournament games historically? Didn’t they have close games against Spain last time?

Reply #922240 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Last year

Yes but it's always a hodge podgge. We have a strong game against a Spain or USA and then lose to a shit team by 20. It's because we are trying different things.

Reply #922242 | Report this post

Sebastian  
Last year

Watching Spain v USA the other day we look a mile away from both teams

Reply #922243 | Report this post

There's only one thing I'm worried about.
Patty's slump
I've mentioned it many times.
You don't even have to look for the cause of yesterday's loss.
You can't win when your main scorer, who can't play defense, goes 2-13.
Moreover, most of those shots were open.
You can't win if you make fouls you shouldn't have with the flow going our way.
You can't win if you can't make free throws in key moments.
All of this came yesterday, he wasn't an NBA player yesterday.
It's an warm up game, don't worry about it? Has he ever had two bad games in a row in an warm up game? The opponent wasn't France, it wasn't Spain, it wasn't the United States. There's not a single person who thinks Venezuela and Brazil are medal contenders. The defender stopping him wasn't even Holiday.
He's 35 now, too. It's time to be realistic.
There are only three games left in the warm up game. I love him the most out of any basketball player, but if he doesn't get over his slump quickly, he's not going to be a starter.

Reply #922246 | Report this post

LV  
Last year

Based on minutes

The "main 8" from Tokyo 21:

Landale
Kay/Thybulle
Ingles
Mills/Goulding
Exum/Delly

CG 71 minutes...drops to Sobey with 39 being the 9th

The "main 9" from 2019 World cup

Baynes/Bogut
Kay/Landale
Ingles/Creek
Mills/Goulding
Delly

Creek 92 minutes, drops to 5 minutes

Based on this week, wonder who Goorj's "main 8" will be.

Reply #922248 | Report this post

LV  
Last year

If you take Oluc's reporting and Goorj's supposed comments at face value and the 8 includes Landale, Green and Goulding.... then presumably this is the planned "main 8"

Landale
Kay/Ingles
Thybulle/Green
Mills/Goulding
Giddey

Leaves out Exum, Reath, Cooks, White, Daniels

Reply #922250 | Report this post

Master Chief  
Last year

Have Australia made a mistake leaving Delly out? There is time for the next generation after this tournament, was recently on an NBA roster and is vastly experienced at that level.

Reply #922251 | Report this post

Delly's out was not a mistake, it was the right decision.
I still think it was the right decision.

Reply #922252 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Last year

"Spain and USA look way ahead of us right now"

They do, and I remember saying they when Canada beat us in 2019. I thought the Team USA game was going to br a blow out and then we won. It's ugly, it churns your stomach but there's some sort of method to the madness. As Joe even said at the end, they're not worried about the opposition they're working on themselves. In pretty confident if they wanted to beat Brazil last night and had a game plan specifically for that they would have.

Reply #922253 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Last year

I thought we had some really strong pre-tournament games historically?

The problem is the ones that result in losses, as we did against Canada and Germany before the last World Cup, result in hysteria.

Reply #922256 | Report this post

Anonymightymouse  
Last year

Same as the big loss to Brazil before 2016. Practice games are meaningless because you don't know what the team was aiming to get out of each one.

Reply #922260 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Last year

Well the instruction may have been "don't worry hoe many 3s they get, work on x, y, z" and then the average fan is like OMG we can't defend the THREE!!!

I find it hard to imagine with the athleticism and length we have that we really will struggle to defend the three.

Reply #922264 | Report this post

Yes, wins and losses in scrimmages don't really matter because you're testing the team offense, team defense, and other things.
But the performance of the individual players is really important.
Was it a test in case the shot didn't go in?
Is it a test that we couldn't stop Caboclo?
These are obviously challenges. These weaknesses can come out in practice.
It's not so important to talk about the past. It seems like the composition of the team hasn't changed much, but a lot has changed from playing around Patty to playing around Giddey.

Reply #922265 | Report this post

BigD  
Last year

Brazil put on an absolute masterclass in how to attack a hard show.

Reply #922266 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Last year

When you look at a problem like stopping Cabocolo it may well be because their plan was not concerning him but something else so they didn't do things they may otherwise do. We have no way to know but I can say with certainty I've seen all of this before.

Reply #922267 | Report this post

McBlurter  
Last year

Two things I said before which didn't get much traction.

Delly needs to be there, even if 12th man. I didn't they BA and Goorjian would go full Derp!, but they did.

We have to be looking at Mills at a bench player now, let him go 0/4 in 8 minuets of play, and sit him down if he can't do anything... rather than 2/13. When your game requires athleticism, you preserve it with select minutes, and that means you're a bench player.

Green is the obvious replacement starter, and if he is starting, it means we may not need to start Thybulle.

For the rest... 2 games, and the best players to date (in terms of playing to their role) are Giddey, Thybulle, White and Reath.

I can't believe anyone is doubting White, even when outsized he was dominating the board against Brazil. It makes sense when Landale was saying "he might be starting at the 4".

Exum was a 3 last time around, and now he is back up Giddey. He hasn't created at all in 2 games, and goes back to Delly....

The image in my head of Exum's entire play last night was his drive out of the back court looked reckless from the start, a defender tapped it, he lost control and he 'only' managed to save the situation by causing a foot violation with Brazil: SLOB. The utter recklessness is Exum at the 1, and why he is a Wing. Is Daniels being groomed as a back up PG with Exum as an interim/replcement for Thybulle?

For everything else, Goorj players 8 man rotations, and he's already flagging one of the spots for Goulding...

Giddey, Mills, Thybulle, Kay and Landale.

Goulding, Ingles, Exum? This seems to be it.

For me. Reath surely has played his way into the rotation.

I got a feeling this tournament is going to be messy, hopefully it refines the rotation for 2024.

Reply #922272 | Report this post

Hmmm  
Last year

White cut! Daniels remains!

Reply #922273 | Report this post

hoopie  
Last year

Where did you hear that?

Reply #922274 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Last year

I hope that's not legit.

Reply #922276 | Report this post

Anonymightymouse  
Last year

Most recent thing was they're taking 13 players to Japan and deciding after the last praccy game.

Reply #922277 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Last year

I don't think it is.. Olgun just said all 13 are going through to Tokyo for the last 2 warm ups there and he's made no reference to that at all.

Reply #922278 | Report this post

Ballman  
Last year

Would a naturalised Bryce Cotton add much to this team ?

Reply #922279 | Report this post

Sebastian  
Last year

Looking at Hmmm's post credentials I'd likely guess it's BS

Reply #922280 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Last year

Reports are that white was 13 man and now all 13 will travel to japan with lean towards Daniels being cut.

Reply #922281 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Last year

I think you need only look at thr dispersal of minutes to see Daniels is closer to being cut than White.

Reply #922282 | Report this post

MaxM  
Last year

Got to remember that if Landale was playing, White may get similar minutes to Daniels. We'll see tonight.

IMO Daniels should be cut, but I've seen multiple reporters such as Olgun, Michael Randall and others all believe that Daniels most likely WON'T be cut.

Reply #922284 | Report this post

I think it's best for all 13 of us to go to Japan, the injury issue is definitely a huge variable.

Reply #922285 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Last year

It worries me that injuries could be worse than they're suggesting

Reply #922286 | Report this post

Hmmm  
Last year

I heard White was told after game last night that he was going to be cut. I hope its wrong.

Reply #922289 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Last year

Lol you heard that where though? Highly unlikely they'd tell him before the end of the warm ups I'd imagine.

Reply #922290 | Report this post

Big Fudge  
Last year

Agree with ME, I'm also concerned about the injuries being worse than expected.

Regarding Daniels, he has a future as a Boomers player but I dont think this World Cup is the right time for him. I dont think its attitude or anything like that, I just think he looks a bit out of his depth still... but this could also be due to limited minutes.

Reply #922291 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Last year

What I'd like to know is if there is any option for some late call ins, let's say having Delly or Maker on speed dial. I am legitimately worried about how the team offence runs. I am not sure whether to be worried or if it's all under control.

Reply #922294 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last year

Hopefully not White, horrible decision if correct.

Reply #922297 | Report this post

Big Fudge  
Last year

We dont have a lot of shooting, going to definitely be slashing and looking inside, using the p&r with Giddey to make the most of his size.

Whilst it might not be a bad thing (just different) I think we will run the offence differently to what we have in the past purely because we have a guy like Giddey and need to use his strengths.

Reply #922299 | Report this post

So this is the lineup I came up with.

Giddey - Exum
Green - Mills - Goulding
Thybulle - Ingles
White - Kay
Landale - Reath - Cooks

I don't want Goorjian to get too hung up on starters, there are definitely lineups that are more balanced, so you don't necessarily have to include Patty and Kay as starters.

Reply #922301 | Report this post

Big Fudge  
Last year

If we are needing outside scoring can always run lineups such as

Mills
Green
Ingles
Kay
Landale

Reply #922304 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last year

I wish you were selecting the team patty" the goat mills. Best team available.

Reply #922318 | Report this post

MaxM  
Last year

Starting lineup for tonight according according Olgun:

Giddey
Mills
Green
Kay
Landale

I like it

Reply #922319 | Report this post

Hmmm  
Last year

Hey Sebastian - i'll take that apology now. It wasn't a guess.

https://twitter.com/OlgunUluc/status/1692154050735996942?s=20

Reply #922412 | Report this post

NBLTigers  
Last year

I can't seem to find the Boomers vs World boxscores on the Basketball Australia site anymore?

Has anyone still got them saved and can chuck them on here thanks?

Reply #922761 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:04 am, Sun 28 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754