+
Last year

who is monitoring zone defence in junior games ?

our comp does not allow zone in U8-10-12 and 14s.

Yet I've noticed late that teams are playing a zone to protect a narrow lead in the last minute or two - not during the early part of a game but they drop into it in the last minute or so. Clearly a zone - not going to any player - 2 on blocks, 2 on elbows and one in the middle of the key. Don't go to any player.

Refs are oblivious to it - don't even stop the game - team gets away with it, parents all cheering. Other team in tears cause they can't hit an outside shot at U10 level.

yet this clearly breaches by laws - purely the coaches planning.

Refs at time not even aware of their part they play - just want the game over with.

Topic #51323 | Report this topic

Big Ads  
Last year

Print off a copy of the "Zone Buster" manual (simple google search) and give it to your TM.

Reply #922792 | Report this post

+  
Last year

We all know the zone buster manual - what I'm saying is it's a tactic to win - run a zone in the last minute or two when you're up by one - someone goes to get court supervisor that takes 2 or 3 minutes - then they have to watch it to make a decision if it's a zone - whoops too late the game is over and zoning team win. Try getting a teenage junior ref to address an adult coach on a technical matter / tactic like this. I've seen it happen.

Reply #922800 | Report this post

McBlurter  
Last year

The refs are to monitor it, and they are overseen by the referee coordinator.

The clear way to bring the attention is to stack 5 players on one side. If weak side block and weak side elbow is still manned, it's a CLEAR violation.

Call a time out, and politely ask the referee what they are seeing and you've coached your players zone is illegal.

Make sure it's a zone, a very common defence is a 5 man shell, which can look very similar at times, but is not illegal, especially if the offence is playing 5-out.

Reply #922801 | Report this post

+  
Last year

no not a 5 man shell or half court man - they are ok.

One particular situation I witnessed - team down by 1 - 90 secs left called a time out to advance - defensive team in a 2-1-2 zone. No problem if they even start there then move to players - but nothing. How do you speak with a 13-14yo umpiring a close U10 game and putting them under increased pressure ?

Reply #922805 | Report this post

koberulz  
Last year

We all know the zone buster manual
You obviously don't, because you keep going on about referees.

It is not for referees to adjudicate whether or not a zone defence is being played and at the Australian
14 Club Championships an independent "zone buster" is appointed to each game. This person needs a
reasonably high level of knowledge as it can at times be difficult to determine whether or not a team is
playing zone defence.
The “zone busters” must also have the experience and confidence to speak with team coaches to
explain any concern they have regarding the defence being played. Such discussions can avoid most
situations (a technical foul is a last resort) and the “zone buster” must have a good understanding of
man to man principles.
Basketball Australia does not recommend placing the responsibility for determining whether the
defence is acceptable upon the referees. They have enough to do!

Reply #922811 | Report this post

Observer  
Last year

Went to morphett vale Friday night Saturday arvo games lucky *star you brought this up ,
Most teams are zone ,surprised only a little man to man being in three games I saw .refs not monitoring it at all,seem like old story .
Can see teams and coaches still having a go at refs .Nothing new.

Reply #922815 | Report this post

BlueBoys  
Last year

In vic, referees aren't allowed to stop teams from playing a zone. It’s the "zone buster’s" job. And if there is no zone buster, film as much of the zone as you can, send it off to BV, and they’ll ask the coach for a “please explain”

Reply #922818 | Report this post

+  
Last year

This isn't U14 club Koberulz where there are set officials and just watching 1 game at a time. I'm talking about just local games that have this by law but nothing happens - if the refs don't say or do anything - it's free for all zoning.

Reply #922819 | Report this post

+  
Last year

Blue - would they reverse a result ?

Reply #922820 | Report this post

Pinch  
Last year

If a coach is playing zone they are not developing your child and think winning is more important at a young age then improving a teams ability to play man on man D. Pretty sad really. I would be moving my kid away from programs that win at costs and not prioritise development at 10's, 12’s and to a lesser extent 14’s.

Reply #922821 | Report this post

McBlurter  
Last year

The kids can elect to play zone themselves.

So I'm aski.g here is this domestic or rep you're talking about.

If the latter, just call the time out and ask the ref what they are seeing.

The calls you do or don't get aren't what actually happens, it's what the (inexperienced) ref sees.

Ask them if they aren't seeing a zone, then what are they seeing.

If you're back at domestic, as I said, kids can elect to play it themselves, not because of the coach.

Again, as they're untimed, you'll have to wait until the end of the game, then ask the ref what they are seeing.

Not much you can do to salvage that game, but it is the proper way to develop the ref.

Reply #922824 | Report this post

BlueBoys  
Last year

@+
Yes they can, and have plenty of times

Reply #922886 | Report this post

Tuckya Shirtin  
Last year

Easy way to tell if the other team is playing zone. Get your guard to pass n cut from the point thru the keyway and see if the defender follows, if he hands off to another defender it's likely Zone D

Reply #922900 | Report this post

Jakbrax  
Last year

I understand the reasoning behind the no zone defence especially in ages U8, 10 & 12 but u14s is a bit much. Players are able to make a 3 point shot, make a pass & have the ball handling skills to get around an opponent. Man on man makes messy bball more often than not.
A comment saying playing a zone D is more about winning on the coaches behalf- sorry but if a player/team learns how to defend with it would help playing against the zone?? Because that's what’s facing them in their future games

Reply #923346 | Report this post

Relaxed coach  
Last year

One of the first things you teach bottom aged under 16 players is how to play zone really well.

Then sit back and watch the other coaches lose their shit.

Reply #923349 | Report this post

MICHAEL_MACGYVER  
Last year

What level are we talking here? Rep or Domestic?

Both levels basically require video proof...you have it submit it and they'll do something about it...no video it didn't happen.

Refs are instructed to not tell coaches to not play zone...coaches are expected to know this

Reply #924203 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:14 am, Sun 28 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754