DennisRodmansHair
Last year

36ers to Retire Daniel Johnsons No.21

Full article available on the 36ers website site.

https://www.adelaide36ers.com/news/djs-no21-jersey-to-be-retired-in-nbl24

Topic #51327 | Report this topic

Dave  
Last year

Another miss.

Right idea but terrible timing. Maybe let him retire first...

Reply #922864 | Report this post

Master Chief  
Last year

And to think all those people who were critical of the club for not doing it. I bet you they feel silly now? LOL;)

Reply #922866 | Report this post

Cram  
Last year

oh the Sixers are the gift that keeps on giving

Reply #922867 | Report this post

Ben  
Last year

And here I was thinking that Brisbane were easily the NBL's biggest train wreck.

Adelaide: Hold our beer

Reply #922871 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Last year

So what are people's criticism of this? Whether he retires or not, his time has come to an end as a 36er

His record speaks for itself
Games: 414 (366 for 36ers)
Rebounds: 2731
7x Mark Davis Trophy winner (36ers MVP)
3× All-NBL First Team (2014, 2017, 2018)
3× All-NBL Second Team (2013, 2016, 2019)
All-NBL Third Team (2012)
NBL Most Improved Player (2012)
NBL Rebounding Leader (2013, 2016)

The guy deserves to have his jersey in the rafters. One of the best careers a 36er has ever had

Reply #922878 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Last year

oh the Sixers are the gift that keeps on giving

What is the issue?

DJ is leaving. The article said he will finish his career overseas.

Is it the timing? Would you prefer the Wildcat's method of waiting 5 - 6 years for Redhage?

Reply #922880 | Report this post

Dave  
Last year

I'd prefer him to retire first. This feels like a guy that has done everything mentioned above has been told "You're done".

He should 100% have his jersey retired. When he retires. In the mean time if someone asks to wear number 21, say no.

Reply #922881 | Report this post

Cram  
Last year

I think there needs to be SOME time, yes.

There was almost no communication on whether he'd be back or not until the announcement he's getting his number retired. Thats weird.

Give it some time between when the club decided he was no longer needed and when the presentation is. Whats the rush?

What happens when he signs as an injury replacement 7 games into the season?

Reply #922884 | Report this post

KET  
Last year

I don't see any issue with retiring his jersey on the basis that he isn’t at Adelaide anymore

Reply #922892 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Last year

He deserves his jersey retired, and yeah, it's a 'little' weird while hes still playing. It's also weird that theyre retiring it while they've made moves over past few years when its been clear they wanted to move past him, minimize his role and play, in the face of threats to go to Japan. But he deserves his jersey retired. Just a shame no rings ever came with it.

Reply #922895 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Last year

Classic Sixers.

Reply #922903 | Report this post

Beantown  
Last year

I don't see anything wrong with the announcement. They listed his achievements in basketball, put out a tribute video and announced that his number will be retired. That is a huge sign of respect for a team that only has four other numbers retired. Unless DJ wants to come out and do a press conference to announce his retirement, there's not much more they can do to honour him right now.

Reply #922920 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Last year

I agree Beantown. The worst thing they could've done is do nothing which is what it was starting to look like might happen. Short of giving him another contract for the money and terms he wants when he's in no position to demand either this is the best thing the club could really do to honour him.

If DJ wants to take his skills to the Mozambique super league or something this season go for it but retiring his jersey is what the end result was ultimately going to be and they're doing it.

Reply #922924 | Report this post

Anonymightymouse  
Last year

Agree 100% Zodiac.

Reply #922945 | Report this post

orbit  
Last year

Thanks but don't come back LOL

Reply #922956 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Last year

inb4 Sixers need him as an injury replacement.

Reply #922958 | Report this post

Isaac  
Last year

Bit of an awkward situation however Adelaide played it, but it was either this or they ignored the fan noise and waited until he announced his professional retirement and had him at a game to honour him in front of the crowd (maybe they still do that later).

Made me go check what the Spurs did with Tony Parker. Parker played 2017/18 with San Antonio, but was fading over the seasons to that point. 7.7 PPG in 19.5 MPG in that season.

Signed a two-year contract with the Hornets. Played 56 games for them off the bench and his final NBA game was mid-March 2019. Announced his retirement in June 2019.

The Spurs retired his number in November 2019.

Reply #922962 | Report this post

KET  
Last year

I think if DJ had signed with another nbl side for a year or something, they'd have waited until then

Reply #922963 | Report this post

koberulz  
Last year

It took Perth five years to retire Redhage's jersey, and they still haven't retired Martin's. It doesn't need to be done instantly.

Reply #922968 | Report this post

Cram  
Last year

Yeah I think there should be some time between "we don't want him to come back" and "lets honour this legend"

Reply #922972 | Report this post

LV  
Last year

It's a no brainer to wait until someone is actually retired before, you know, retiring their number

How awkward.

Reply #922975 | Report this post

SixersFan  
Last year

LV not awkward at all. So you are fine for another player to use his number until DJ retires? That would actually be awkward. Also what does retirement mean? If he keeps playing local league for another 20 years do we have to wait until that finishes? The guy is likely never to play for Adelaide again so his number can be retired now

Reply #922977 | Report this post

Just a fan  
Last year

agree with the above sixersfan, many fans complaining with no announcement regarding DJ and now when they did people still complaining. It would be wrong if a new player came into this season and wore #21.

Reply #922980 | Report this post

Dave  
Last year

There is a very big difference between hanging a jersey in the rafters and having a send off for a player and internally not allowing anyone to use his number though.

Reply #922983 | Report this post

Dave  
Last year

In my opinion, they should have announce he wasn't going to be returning to the club and would be looking to head overseas and wish him luck.

When he is finished up and retires do exactly what they have done now, then.

Reply #922984 | Report this post

LV  
Last year

^ exactly

It's not rocket science

Reply #922986 | Report this post

Cram  
Last year

"The guy is likely never to play for Adelaide again"

Its the "likely" for me that is the problem. Why not wait until its definite? What is the actual rush?

"There is a very big difference between hanging a jersey in the rafters and having a send off for a player and internally not allowing anyone to use his number though."

This.

You can even say "the club plans to retire his jersey when his playing days are over" making it clear his number is unavailable and showing respect.

Reply #922987 | Report this post

KET  
Last year

Semantics, why it matter

His time is done at Adelaide, they want to retire it now that's fine

Reply #922992 | Report this post

Peter  
Last year

Could they have handled this better? Possibly, everyone will have their own opinion.

At least they aren't just leaving their head in the sand and being silent on the whole situation, which was the issue I had.

He has earned respect and his number deserves to be retired. Whether this has been handled in the best way or not, they have atleast tried to address it.

Im sure (or hope) they have their reasons for the timing of the announcement and my expectation is they have some form of tribute at a home game attended by DJ when his singlet is unveiled in the rafters so the fans can give him a send off aswell. Based on their announcement, sounds like this will need to happen this year.

I also hope it is not just a token 30 second introduction at the same time as the teams are warming up like they did with Brett Maher and a few other club legends for the anniversary of something last year, then ushering them off immediately so the game could start, which appeared tacked on with no real respect to the players involved who almost looked embarrassed

Reply #923001 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Last year

To be fair Maher's been retired for 14 years now and had his retirement ceremony some time ago, DJ has only just 'retired'.

Reply #923002 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Last year

There's no hard and fast rule for this is there?

There's probably 3 viable options and everyone has a preference.

I actually like the 'do it when he retires fully' option, but this option is not that awful that it warrants negativity.

Reply #923003 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Last year

At 35 and being a 7 footer if he pulled his finger out and started playing some defence and concentrating on rebounding and blocking shots he could probably play another 3-4 years in less prestigious leagues barring a serious injury so I can understand why the Sixers would prefer to do it now then wait and let a potential PR issue fester for years.

Reply #923004 | Report this post

Peter  
Last year

"To be fair Maher's been retired for 14 years now and had his retirement ceremony some time ago, DJ has only just 'retired'."

It wasn't the retired players. I think it was an anniversary for one of the championships. They had a bunch of the championship players walk out on court, where they were introduced very briefly, were left standing there having to avoid the players warming up and looking very uncomfortable, then they had no idea what to do so just walked off within 30 seconds because the music etc started and they looked embarrassed which I thought was ordinary.

Reply #923008 | Report this post

koberulz  
Last year

let a potential PR issue fester for years.
What "potential PR issue"?

Reply #923009 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Last year

The potential PR issue of fans calling for DJ's number to be retired and the club being viewed as refusing to do so.

Reply #923011 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:20 am, Sun 28 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754