Peter
Last year

Australia to bid for 2031 FIBA World Cup

Australia will bid to host 2031 World Cup

On the back of success of Matilda's and soccer world cup.

Key games to be held in Melbourne, hopefully them pulling out of comm games won't hurt bid

All of the young boomers could be in their prime in 2031

Topic #51374 | Report this topic

proud  
Last year

Wow games in Melbourne, I feel like that's been a familiar trend over the last few years!

Reply #924917 | Report this post

NBLTigers  
Last year

Not surprised Qatar is hosting the 2027 World Cup. Surprised Australia never hosted a FIBA World Cup before.

Reply #924919 | Report this post

KET  
Last year

I suspect with 2023 and 2027 in Asia, we will see 2031 and 2035 in US/Canada and Europe

Reply #924920 | Report this post

KET  
Last year

This World Cup used 5 arenas -

We have:

Qudos Bank Arena (Sydney) - 18,000 bball capacity
Rod Laver Arena (Melbourne) - 15,400
RAC Arena (Perth) - 14,800
Albion Park Paceway (Brisbane - New Olympic Venue) - 12,000 or Brisbane Entertainment Centre - 10,023
Adelaide Entertainment Centre (Adelaide) - 10,000

And then there's also John Cain Arena (Melbourne) - 10,500

Reply #924922 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Last year

It's a no brainer but unfortunately the strange creatures at BA have missed the boat, as they always do, since there were hardly any bids for the 2023 edition and one to host 2027 and they sat on their hands. Now with three cups in a row hosted by Asia forget about it.

Reply #924926 | Report this post

hoopie  
Last year

KET, I suspect that sports-washing money from Saudi Arabia and that region will disrupt planned or fair distribution of world events around the world regions

Reply #924930 | Report this post

curtley  
Last year

Combining with NZ and using Spark Arena would give it greater weight wouldn't it? However the Kiwis didn't really get behind the FIFA world cup recently.

Reply #924931 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Last year

Never forget Australia were favourites to host and ultimately lost the 2022 FIFA World Cup bid due to Qatar. At least Football Australia tried, though.

In basketball's case BA didn't bother to take advantage of a perfect opportunity while there was low interest re: 2023/2027.

So currently we are in a situation where the World Cup is being hosted next door in Indonesia who have no basketball history and as part of a weird assortment of nations. Let that sink in.

Reply #924933 | Report this post

JCK98  
Last year

Should really have went for 2027, although I guess that could've clashed with the Rugby World Cup that we're hosting that year (and this year would've clashed with the FIFA Women's World Cup). 2031 feels too close to the Olympics in Brisbane.

Reply #924957 | Report this post

hoopie  
Last year

Are we saying that we're not capable of hosting two big events in the same year? There would be very little overlap of venues.

Reply #924963 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last year

Part the reason they lost fifa World Cup is afl would not release the stadiums and didn't want to stop their competition. They did everything to stop it they could.

Reply #924968 | Report this post

WC95  
Last year

AFL seems to throw its weight around a lot. Also having more than one big event in one year is only a problem if one sport gets mass media exposure and the other doesn't because of it. We could also get burnt out by too many big events in one year here which can impact interest, sales etc...

Reply #924977 | Report this post

JCK98  
Last year

Are we saying that we're not capable of hosting two big events in the same year? There would be very little overlap of venues.

Not so much venue overlap, although hotel capacity could be an issue, more lack of national attention, wouldn't make as big of a splash if it's right next to another World Cup we're hosting, particularly with the Women's Soccer and Rugby World Cups being slotted directly before and after the Basketball World Cup.

As for 2031 being too close to the Olympics, that's more from a FIBA perspective, I'm not sure they would want us hosting 2 major tournaments in a row, and will probably been seen as an Olympic warm up event by our media, hell, channel 9 were marketing their warm up games coverage as a warm up to Paris next year.

Reply #924978 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Last year

Part the reason they lost fifa World Cup is afl would not release the stadiums and didn't want to stop their competition. They did everything to stop it they could.

AFL, NRL and Super Rugby did huff and puff about the issue but ultimately the major stadiums of Australia were part of the bid so that had nothing to do with losing.

Reply #924984 | Report this post

KET  
Last year

Australia never stood a chance against the corruption let's be honest

Reply #924985 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Last year

Yes it was corruption and Qatar took that to a new level.

Reply #925012 | Report this post

JOaRiDrAN  
Last year

I think the main reason Australia misses out on the FIFA World Cup is due to tv ratings. Prime time here is 3am for the majority of the Soccer world and tv rights wins over everything

Reply #925049 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Last year

Its great theyre trying to get the basketball world cup but not sure it happens. I would say we have a pretty lethargic interest in basketball. we have had a top 4 basketball team for the past decade and even then our public barely cared. I am not sure a world cup here would bring so much interest unless a Dream Team type USA played. Sad but thats how I see it.

Reply #925071 | Report this post

WC95  
Last year

I think the public cares more now than it ever did before. It's the media that haven't caught on yet.

The Boomers played to over 10,000 fans for their 3 warm up games in Melbourne in the middle of the Matildas mania. I think the interst is there as long as our team is a high profile one with some star power.

Also, Australia has a large NBA following, so if there's plenty of NBA players around, the interest will be there. We have the arenas too. What we don't have is a media that genuinely wants to get behind the sport.

Reply #925100 | Report this post

Sebastian  
Last year

As we have just seen NBA players might help you at the gate, doesn't always translate to in court success.

Reply #925104 | Report this post

hoopie  
Last year

I think you'll find that the media is generally run by people heavily influenced by AFL or NRL or cricket, whether it was as part of their background or financially. Those codes would strongly influence what the media puts out, either directly through $$ or indirectly through controlling access to events, news, etc.

As netball has a similar struggle, perhaps it’s because bb and netball aren’t seen as 'real sports’, or simply because both don’t pay enough to the media to get the coverage. Dunno, but I’d like to know what BA pays for coverage.

Having said that, the Matildas received massive coverage from The Age, and it was great and well-deserved!!

Are there enough journos capable of covering bb well? Who can convey the excitement of close games? Who can sell the achievements of the players?

Reply #925105 | Report this post

hoopie  
Last year

https://www.hoops.com.au/forum/46920-basis-for-mainstream-media-coverage-28sports29/

Reply #925107 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:47 pm, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754