hoopie
Last year

Australian coaching success across sports

So, is Eddie Jones the new Brian Goorjian - past it, or very dependent on the squad he has to work with?

Is Ange Postecoglu the winningest Aussie coach we've produced? Or does Trevor Gleeson hold the record for best winning percentage at the highest level below international? Or is there a netball coach who I’ve forgotten?

Looking at Aussie coaches across all sports, who’s in contention for the best winning percentage at the highest levels? (Let’s keep international separate from the top level, so that AFL can be included.)

Your ideas?

Topic #51418 | Report this topic

LV  
Last year

I always look at Goorjian, Bellamy and Bennett as three absolute top-tier coaches and in my mind the "big 3" coaches in Australian sport

But, I don't follow soccer at all so clearly I'm not across Postecoglou (and I'm fact only have a passing interest in NRL, just knowing it well enough to be amazed by Bellamy and Bennett)

Depends how you define winning percentage- titles from seasons coached? On that measure Gleeson would be almost untouchable I would assume. Or overall W/L in total games?

I rate success in different scenarios- hence Goorjian and Bennett who've had success in different places. Inc state of origin for Bennett. And I rate development- Bellamy has an uncanny ability to take unknowns and next minute they're NRL guns.

Mick Malthouse is one I rate in AFL (although most pundits would have him below Clarkson), again success in different contexts but also development. Incredible body of work but his memory soured in many people's eyes by his final stint at Carlton. Much like Malcolm Blight at St Kilda

Reply #926511 | Report this post

KET  
Last year

" Mick Malthouse is one I rate in AFL (although most pundits would have him below Clarkson)"

Ron Barassi
Leigh Matthews
Kevin Sheedy

Reply #926512 | Report this post

LV  
Last year

I'd have Malthouse over Sheedy myself although that wouldn't necessarily be a consensus pick.

Barassi is from a bygone era but an immortal (to borrow an NRL term), almost untouchable in AFL circles and rightly so

You're right that most AFL people would have Matthews over Malthouse.

It's an interesting one for me, Malthouse's Pies almost stole the 2002GF (and Defeated Brisbane in the 03 Qualifying final) despite having a vastly inferior list

It partly comes down to different eras too, Matthews was done by the time Malthouse had Collingwood rocking again in 10-11 with (at that time) tactical innovations. AFL evolves so fast. Insanely chaotic sport to coach, more than any other except maybe NFL

Reply #926514 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last year

Jack Gibson was one of the first master coaches. Won where ever he ventured except Cronulla at his last stop.

Reply #926521 | Report this post

hoopie  
Last year

At the international level, wouldn't Andrej Lemanis be up there? The Boomers had a lot of wins under his tenure, even though many were against poor teams.

Reply #926523 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Last year

"the winningest Aussie coach we've produced"

Ric Charlesworth (hockey) perhaps? or Charlie Walsh (track cycling)? Both had outstanding ongoing success at international level - including Worlds and Olympics, with changing personnel in teams - both men's and women's in Charlesworth's case.

Reply #926542 | Report this post

KET  
Last year

Dean Boxhall

Reply #926550 | Report this post

hoopie  
Last year

Looking at Charlesworth's record as coach, what a bloody legend!!!! Hockey may not have the biggest number of participants, but that record is amazing!

Reply #926552 | Report this post

Zoescar  
Last year

Think Julie Fitzgerald has to be up there for netball. Coached Swifts for over 20 years with many premierships then moved to NZ team and took them straight to finals. She then took the new Giants into GF in first year and she is still their head coach. Do not think she has missed playoffs that often in 30 years.

Reply #926748 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:24 pm, Mon 29 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754