Tomdelonge2
Last year

36ers @ Brisbane

36ers set to start the season in style. What are your thoughts?

Topic #51430 | Report this topic

EssenX  
Last year

This won't be a great game. Brisbane have improved, but are still a bit ugly. Brisbane by 10-15.

Reply #926802 | Report this post

Knowall  
Last year

Brisbane by 10. Suspect it could be a smashing, however see Brisbane using this game to give everyone a chance to either hang themselves or prove they deserve to be in the rotations

Reply #926807 | Report this post

a5ian nbl fan  
Last year

Would like to see Isaac White drop 20+ tonight haha

Reply #926810 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last year

Closer than most think, bullets bigs should dominate though.

Brisbane by 8.

Reply #926814 | Report this post

LV  
Last year

Brisbane easily

Adelaide will rely heavily on Humphries, if he can outplay the Brisbane monsters it'll ensure Adelaide is at least competitive

Reply #926816 | Report this post

SixersFan  
Last year

Thanks for the page Isaac. Sorry I have been busy.

Blitz was good for the Sixers with them working out Franklin was not good enough and Flowers doesn't work at point guard. I would rather they eorked these things out before the season.The last game showed that the team does have talent almost beat Tassie with no imports.

As always pre-season doesn't mean much with Sydney losing by 30 odd. Sixers winning it all last year and finishing 8th.

Sixers have a horror start to the season

Brisbane away
United home
Perth away
Sydney away

Then have Perth and NZ a few games later.

An important game tonight but unlikely to get the win but I expect them to be competitive. Sixers will have Wiley and Kell back so it will be interesting to see how the "Full" team goes.

Brisbane by 8

Reply #926820 | Report this post

DennisRodmansHair  
Last year

Brisbane will come into tonight's game with a lot of confidence, after wrecking the 36ers in the preseason game in Lightsview. In that game they set a tough defensive tone from the tip off and bullied the 36ers into submission. Was the beginning of the end of the Flowers PG experiment, there were multiple times where he couldn't get the ball out of the backcourt. I expect the same defensive effort tonight, Brisbane to win by 10+ points.

Reply #926829 | Report this post

Ben  
Last year

I'm labeling this clash - "Battle for the Bottom: Part I"

Bullets by 11. I just hope Adelaide doesn't get completely embarrassed, I like their fanbase.

Reply #926831 | Report this post

Pablo Escobar  
Last year

Home expectations may be a distraction and added pressure for the Bullets. Adelaide can get this and should.

Reply #926845 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Last year

I can't really see any way for the Sixers to jag this one before the tougher opponents ahead. Wiley, Kell and Cadee are all back from injuries but still an import down after Franklin's axing.

Bullets by 14

Reply #926847 | Report this post

LV  
Last year

Where's Matt Hodgson these days? Still in Taiwan?

Reply #926849 | Report this post

Beantown  
Last year

You're right Sixersfan, that is a tough draw to start the season! Only one home game and its against the pre-season favourites in my book. Melbourne even had a chance to warm up against the Phoenix last night and get one extra recovery day than the Sixers!

If the Sixers can handle the physical defensive pressure, they might have a chance to win, but I'm not confident. I would expect Brisbane to win by 10 or more.

Reply #926850 | Report this post

sixtiesrockstar  
Last year

I think Sixers are okay and can push Brisbane. Do Brisbane have a matchup for Wiley? The Sixers locals I believe are as good as locals of most other teams, especially if Humphries can somehow stay fit. A good replacement import for Franklin is what Sixers need, someone who can beat the defender and create own shot, find open players and play some defence. We have plenty of locals who can play good roles.
When Sixers played Brisbane at Blitz Franklin played 22 mins for zero pts. Since then Sixers have changed their structure with Flowers and the guards. Adelaide had 18 turnovers in that game, if they can look after the ball better it will definitely give them a chance. They should have an attacking plan for full court pressure by now. Humphries didn't play Brisbane in Blitz either.

Reply #926854 | Report this post

Beantown  
Last year

Some good points there Sixtiesrockstar. DJ Mitchell probably has to cover Wiley, so hopefully that will give us an advantage. And we really missed Humphries last game. We were way too small against Brisbane's bigs without him.

Reply #926857 | Report this post

MaxM  
Last year

Well well well Adelaide are cooking early

Reply #926861 | Report this post

Beantown  
Last year

Wow! Great start Sixers! Its like we've reversed roles from last time we played them!

Reply #926862 | Report this post

Beantown  
Last year

Anyone else think Kell looks proppy on that knee already? I'm not sure he’s fully fit.

Reply #926863 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last year

CJ sent his best team out to start, it certainly helps.

Reply #926864 | Report this post

Tomdelonge2  
Last year

36ers huge start.... can they keep it going/ doubtful

Reply #926865 | Report this post

LV  
Last year

The first 2.5 minutes of this game didn't go to script!

Reply #926866 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last year

Flowers hasn't seen the court in 1st 1/4. Humphries been very good. Great start from Sixers.

Reply #926867 | Report this post

LV  
Last year

Ok, reverted to script...

Reply #926868 | Report this post

Tomdelonge2  
Last year

Wheres DJ

Reply #926869 | Report this post

BALLER#3  
Last year

Jeez the sooner we move on from McCarron the better. Is it just me or is he looking super disinterested?

Reply #926870 | Report this post

Tomdelonge2  
Last year

was good while it lasted

Reply #926871 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Last year

22 points in the first 5 mins. 11 points in the next 12

Reply #926872 | Report this post

Beantown  
Last year

Nice to see Starling disrupting a couple of possessions with his quick hands. I'm pretty concerned with the anaemic offence though now that Brisbane has settled down. We badly lack a go to scoring guard. Kell looked good for about 5 mins then seemed to stumble a couple of times when trying to stop and prop for shots and has gone cold since.

Reply #926874 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Last year

37-14 run after starting the game 22-6
Love it when they play the hits

Reply #926875 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last year

Bullets look much better with Harrison is at the 5. Sixes fans your team have done well, only a point in it. Wiley in foul trouble isn't good, Sobey for Brisbane as well.

Reply #926877 | Report this post

Screeningnick  
Last year

I'm not the biggest Harrison fans but right now Brisbane definitely look better with him on as per above.

Baynes is a traffic cone on D and his left hand post hook shot probably goes in 1/10 times.

Reply #926879 | Report this post

hoopie  
Last year

Time for CJ to come up with plan C (because plan B certainly didn't work in the 2nd quarter)

Reply #926882 | Report this post

AngusH  
Last year

A player like Norton is exactly what Brisbane has been lacking for a long, long time.

Reply #926883 | Report this post

Ben  
Last year

@ Screeningnick

Spot on with Baynes. I love the dude, but his bread and butter hook has been wonky (at best) since he's been in the NBL. Worrying as he takes a fair few of them a game.

Reply #926884 | Report this post

AngusH  
Last year

I don't disagree with Baynes although encouraging to see him throw one down tonight.

Reply #926885 | Report this post

KET  
Last year

36ers will need a rescue package from the NBL this season - 4th import plz.

We need a big and a PG

Reply #926886 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last year

The charge block call in the nbl is a luck dip. Sixers need an extra big and point guard desperately. I hope they hang in for rest game, they look as if they're trying hard.

Reply #926887 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last year

Mccaron is still the left over from JVG era.

Reply #926889 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Last year

Only the 36ers can start a game 22-6 and end up down 12 by 3 quarter time

Reply #926891 | Report this post

KET  
Last year

Let's not pretend the 36ers were good in the first Q though - Bullets missed so many open shots right at the basket, it was only a matter of time they went in and all transition died.

They need a PG that can score and push the ball to Humphries, but they also need a big that can make the the key something other than a wide-open opportunity for the opposition

Reply #926892 | Report this post

AngusH  
Last year

Adelaide look much better when Humphries gets touches

Reply #926893 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last year

Humphries playing very well, certainly should be invited to boomers camp, I'd get Harrison in there as well.

Reply #926894 | Report this post

Hooper  
Last year

The truth is,

McCarron isn't Money Making, and that’s just a fact.
Sunday is a basic role player.
The coach chose Tohi ahead of Galloway, why?
And Marshall has lost all confidence.

Sad state

Reply #926895 | Report this post

AngusH  
Last year

Only shots Kell should be taking is open layups

Reply #926896 | Report this post

AngusH  
Last year

Good minutes from McDaniel

Reply #926897 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Last year

Cadee and Kell are tough to watch

Reply #926898 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last year

Money making Mitch got his name for being overpaid, not because he's money down the stretch.
Like yesterday the home side is certainly getting the 50-50 calls.

Reply #926899 | Report this post

KET  
Last year

Sadly they can't play Humphries big minutes, they need him alive this season.

Completely agree - with him on much better.

Pushing the ball up much better.

Reply #926900 | Report this post

Beantown  
Last year

While we can't overwork Humphries, he should be in there with 4 mins to go down 6. Smith-Milner in there too long.

Reply #926901 | Report this post

KET  
Last year

Only Adelaide would give up the easier three point shot for the harder one...sigh.

Reply #926902 | Report this post

AngusH  
Last year

Auspicious garbage time performance from Rocco

Reply #926903 | Report this post

Ben  
Last year

Well, I think it's fair to say that game played out as expected. Bullets won but weren't convincing, Adelaide sputtered and looked clunky.

Reply #926904 | Report this post

Shano76  
Last year

To me, Kell, Mccarron and Dech are too similar.
I'd sack Kell and get a backup big, and swap Franklin for a real PG. Won’t happen though.
If Isaac gets injured, sorry when he does, we are even more fcked!
Really need Mccarron off the books. Offers not much for the $$$

Reply #926906 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last year

Congratulations to Brisbane, good win, refs looked after them when required. Adelaide very competitive Humphries and Wiley very good. Harrison good, Baynes footlocker player of game, lol.

Reply #926907 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Last year

"Adelaide very competitive"

Hahahahaha yeah for 5 mins maybe

Reply #926908 | Report this post

Ski 76  
Last year

I never saw much potential in Kell when the Phoenix made a big deal about signing him, and I still don't. The Sixers should cut Kell and bring in an import big as well as a starting point guard import.

Reply #926910 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last year

On the money shano 76.

Rocco, foul Wiley and then dunks down the other end, it's charity.

Reply #926911 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Last year

We could find the next Bryce Cotton with our Franklin replacement and probably still finish bottom

Reply #926912 | Report this post

Beantown  
Last year

Well that looked every bit the battle of the cellar dwellers. Sixers had a chance to win it, but took too long to get Humphries back in.

Also, McCarron down the stretch has no urgency. He just walks the ball up when we need to push the pace. One time the play broke down, he demanded the ball come back to him and then he just pounded the ball and jogged around for a bit, before passing it off to Dech with 2 secs to try to create something! He should go to the bench and start Cadee until we can get an import point guard.

Kell doesn't look fit to me. Could see him being out injured again shortly.

Wiley did quite well and if he can continue to hit open threes will be much more useful than I expected.

Starling still needs time to work out what he can and can’t do on an nbl floor, but he does have quick hands and brings the hustle and energy.

Dech did quite well, I just wish we had an offence that got him catch and shoot looks, rather than having him dribble 300 times to get to the basket then get stuffed.

Get a point guard asap and start them with Dech, Kell (if fit), Wiley and Humphries. Cadee, Starling, Flowers and Galloway of the bench. McCarron can sit for now as he adds nothing to the team.

Reply #926921 | Report this post

SixersFan  
Last year

The worst thing to happen at the Blitz for the Sixers was Smith-Milner hitting some shots (Even though he was still -16). Now CJ is confused again and is playing him in front of Galloway. Smith-Milner is the worst player in the NBL (that actually plays minutes) and has been for a long time.

The other bad sub was playing Marshall in front of Flowers. That was at a crucial time early in the game. There is no way Marshall is better then Flowers.

After the early run Sixers went to soft mode in offense by settling for off balanced floaters instead of being aggressive and attacking the ring.

CJ still showing he can't coach. Waiting till the other team has gone on a long run at a crucial time before calling timeout. On the other, the Brisbane coach calls it straight away when he sees momentum changing. Out coached by a guy coaching his first game.

Dech is either really good or very average. Today he was really good but only gets 20 minutes! It's crazy. When he plays like that he should get 30+. Instead we have Mccarron playing 28 minutes doing nothing. He must be the highest paid player in the league to produce the least.

There was some positive to come out of the game but what a golden opportunity to win that game which they messed up.

Reply #926925 | Report this post

Beantown  
Last year

Agreed on all points Sixersfan.

Reply #926930 | Report this post

Spinner  
Last year

As long as we have that waste of space McCarron trying to run the point, Sixers won't play finals. Had his usual massive game of 4 points, 4 rebounds and 2 assists in 28 minutes. Awesome!

Reply #926932 | Report this post

LV  
Last year

Adelaide need to gamble everything on a dynamic guard or swingman and then hope Humphries and Wiley stay healthy

That's their only possible path to top 6. A good big won't help if McCarron, Cadee, Kell aren't a Lot better

Reply #926951 | Report this post

Knowall  
Last year

Unfortunately for Adelaide they way players and coaches have been treated has come to bite you in the butt. The only way you can attract half decent players there are either 1) overpay or 2) gamble on one with a bit of baggage. Point or big it ain't going to make much difference to you predicament your team is full of role players and again unfortunately not very good ones.
And CJ ain’t no Scott Roth

Reply #926954 | Report this post

KET  
Last year

All points above agree. Sadly even the commentators are saying it's an even league this year there are no bad teams...except Adelaide. That’s a real hit.

The commentators were taking the piss most of the game out of both clubs and it was embarrassing. Adelaide fluctuated from looking decent to looking standard Adelaide and towards the end Copeland was cheering on the 36ers just to make it a decent competitive game.

I agree - Flowers should have been in more. At the PG we all know the struggles and it wasn’t surprising. At wing though? He looks good in that spot and he’s mature in his approach with not forcing it or jacking up bad shots.

Humphries was tired, he needs help urgently. If we can’t get an Aussie then we need to translate Kell’S import spot into a defensive big.

The commentators were bang on - they need a PG but they also need a big. When they get defensive stops or rebounds, everything looks so much better with transition and the way Humphries was playing close to the basket.

When you don’t defend well? It ends up in horrible half court offence just like last year.

What’s par for Sunday? At home v United - is losing by ~18 a good for the 36ers?

Reply #926960 | Report this post

SixersFan  
Last year

KET when did they say all teams are good except Adelaide?

Also all commentators want the team losing to come back to make it a more entertaining game.

I thought for most part it was better defense then normal (compared with more recent Sixers teams) besides two key points.

1. Defensive rebounding was crap (23 offensive rebounds for Brisbane to Adelaide's 12). A combination of the guards letting their player penetrate too deep and the effort by the bigs. As you said a big import could really help this.

2. Letting the point guards dribble down and bully us for an easy two or kick out for an easy 3. It looked like a mens team playing a junior team with this point. Players needs to be able to contain whilst the other players need to get back and ready to help. If Cadee is getting abused on defense he can't be out there. A quality import point guard would help this

Other key stats:

Fast break points
Brisbane 13, Adelaide 4

Bench scoring
Brisbane 29, Adelaide 13

Reply #926961 | Report this post

sixtiesrockstar  
Last year

Sixers had more than 4 pts on fast break in first 5 mins.
Couple of crucial factors is the assist counts. Zero from Dech as he dribbles around on his own, 3 between McCarron and Cadee in 50 mins of basketball, and we wonder why the offence stutters. Passing is contagious and creates movement. Dribbling handoffs around the perimeter is waving a white flag saying we can't get through the defence and not sure what to do. Brisbane settled and created movement with their structure using screens on the wing and curling, quick passing. Sixers defence can't keep players out the paint, making it easy for opposition to score or kick it for open shots.
Need more mins for Galloway and Marshall, let them play and develop, and create more spacing for Flowers and give him room to use his strengths.

Reply #926967 | Report this post

sixtiesrockstar  
Last year

Sixers also need to get an aggressive plan for teams running full court pressure. Just dribbling the ball up court is too slow and defensive. Maybe CJ should watch some tapes of the Joey era who would dismantle a teams pressure with simple aggressive structure with good passing.

Reply #926968 | Report this post

KET  
Last year

"KET when did they say all teams are good except Adelaide?"

Not sure why you're bothering to question that, but

Olgun Uluc and Kane Pitman podcast Ball and the real world podcast/NBL Now podcast if you’d like to hear it.

Obviously that’s the talk going around the league at the moment.

Reply #926970 | Report this post

LV  
Last year

It's pretty obvious Adelaide's got 2 needs but if they fill one gap and nail it, they should be decent enough. The key part is nailing it

Reply #926971 | Report this post

KET  
Last year

" I thought for most part it was better defense then normal (compared with more recent Sixers teams)"

I get that after last years' atrocity - but I think it’s hard to tell because we don’t know where the Bullets align with the rest of the league.

There were so many missed open layups, dunks, shots by the Bullets early on that it made Adelaide look good I think. They weren’t misses because of good 36ers defence, they were just blatant inexcusable misses en masse.

Eventually the Bullets got rid of the nerves and the stats evened out - teams don’t usually shoot 10% throughout a game.

There was effectively a 30 odd point swing over 3 quarters which is baddddddd.

If we played the top 5/6 predicted teams like United, Perth, NZ etc. I wonder how badly the 36ers defence would have actually been exposed to be.

I know it’s “only 1 game” but alarm bells are ringing, I don’t think this team can even bullshit its way to double figure wins. Granted, we have an import to bring in, so I’m hoping to god it’s someone that genuinely moves the needle.

Let’s say they do that, maybe it incentivises them to look for that other big piece and they can make a late run for the top 6.

Reply #926972 | Report this post

KET  
Last year

" It's pretty obvious Adelaide's got 2 needs but if they fill one gap and nail it, they should be decent enough. The key part is nailing it"

100%

Reply #926973 | Report this post

hoopie  
Last year

Agree, KET. I'd also add that Sixers have got to stop allocating minutes by salary level and instead allocate them by what they deliver.

If it’s clear to players what they need to do out there and then they don’t then they should get a long (!) benching until they get the message.(That’s assuming that Sixers coaching KNOW and can make clear what each player needs to do, individually and collectively.)

The fact that the offense is so slow and stagnant is on the coach - we’ve seen enough times in the past where Mitch and the other guards can get the ball up court quickly with minimal dribbling.

Reply #926977 | Report this post

Crackers65  
Last year

Adelaide could recruit prime Magic and Kareem and CJ would still stuff it up. Junior just can't coach.

Reply #926980 | Report this post

Beantown  
Last year

Agreed Hoopie, I've been saying this for awhile. All minutes should be earned on this team. Hence why McCarron should sit on the bench until he works out how to add value to the team. At the moment, his inability to run the point or shoot is killing the team.

Reply #926986 | Report this post

Knowall  
Last year

Here is a question for you Beantown, your bench is full of quality players, who you got taking MM minutes

Reply #926988 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Last year

That's the between a rock and a hard place situation I think the Sixers are in at the point. Cadee is best suited as an off the bench spark plug type even if only in theory and Flowers isn't suitable.

I know the argument is then the Sixers should get an import PG but IMO that's too many roster spots being wasted on PG's and guards in general on a guard-heavy team. I would rather make do with MM/Cadee/Flowers as our PG combo and get an import big to help/cover for Humphries.

Reply #926989 | Report this post

Knowall  
Last year

Would have to agree with you there Zodiac, it's hard to win games if you can’t control the boards and have a consistent inside presence. Humphries can’t play 40 minutes, he needs help.

Reply #926991 | Report this post

Beantown  
Last year

Knowall, it would have to be Cadee until they get a point guard. It's not ideal, but at least he is capable of pushing the pace. If they can find a guard who can move the needle, then maybe it'd be worth spending more cash to replace Kell with a big man, but I don't think the owner wants to spend money this season. I'm just expecting to win the spoon frankly.

Reply #926997 | Report this post

KET  
Last year

The problem with them putting a clearly uncompetitive wooden-spoon team on court is that they're going to alienate all the people they’ve successfully engaged to attend games.

You don’t want to throw a wrecking ball through all the hard work they’ve done to grow the base.

Reply #927001 | Report this post

Knowall  
Last year

Beantown he shot 11.1% with 1 assist -16 not sure Cadee is the answer

Reply #927018 | Report this post

Knowall  
Last year

Beantown he shot 11.1% with 1 assist -16 not sure Cadee is the answer

Reply #927019 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last year

Cadee was a good pick up for 10 minutes a game as a back up point, not a starting point guard or big minutes player.

Reply #927022 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:59 pm, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754