Baller
Last year

Stop pretending the Jack Jumpers are underdogs

Why does everyone in basketball including media ,commentators and fans . continue on with the jack jumpers are underdogs narrative and call their wins upsets ? They are just a incredibly well ran well coached franchise that knows how to recruit

Topic #51468 | Report this topic

Perthworld  
Last year

because it's an easy/lazy narrative to peddle in lieu of doing actual analysis of their system.

Reply #927782 | Report this post

hoopie  
Last year

Agree, PW

I'd also say that it plays on our psychology - we tend to have sympathy for an under-dog and feel good when they win, but often don’t care if the favourite wins because that’s expected.

More emotional involvement = more likely to read the articles, watch the game, buy the merchandise, etc

Reply #927790 | Report this post

Baller  
Last year

There coach is one of the best in the league and there top import is one of the best they have also made playoffs there previous two seasons im not sure how that equates to being a underdog

Reply #927791 | Report this post

AngusH  
Last year

They are definitely not an underdog this year. Top 4 team on paper, top 2 on the court right now.

Reply #927792 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last year

Exactly PW

Reply #927793 | Report this post

Jimmyhooper15  
Last year

They've beaten Melbourne and Sydney and barley lost to Perth in Perth. They are the real deal

Reply #927812 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Last year

Anyone who watches the NBL knows after making the GF in Year 1 and SF again last year that they are legit. I was the only one on here that had them finishing in the Top 2.

Reply #927814 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Last year

The NBL love producing documentaries nowadays so I'd like to see one on how the team was built from the ground up in terms of business and basketball operations.

As much as I criticise LK and the current NBL regime for their over-the-top marketing strategies they clearly know what they're doing.

How they approached the following in more depth would be interesting:

Preliminary stages and initial land deal (this is obviously the most contentious aspect, it was a bit of a handout but they pulled it off).
Recruitment of management (although it was driven by NBL HQ so maybe more on that).

Identification and selection of coach, which in hindsight from a Wildcats perspective Roth should have been our successor to Gleeson.
Scouting network structure (they don't pay overs).

Not exactly an exhaustive list but you get my drift.

The agreement with the Tasmanian state government and local council was only finalised in 2020!

Reply #927824 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Last year

I was the only one on here that had them finishing in the Top 2.

Good work, here's your gold star:

Reply #927828 | Report this post

LV  
Last year

I'm still tipping JJ's season to finish at play-in, as I predicted at the start of the season. Maybe semi finalists like last season.

They're a well-drilled team, and have played very well in their 3 games so far. I have a lot of respect for them- they're 7-3 overall against United now

But don't forget Sydney will add Hogg and United to add JLA. With those guys, chances are those teams score more than 72 and 75 next time, and they beat JJ's next time.

Reply #927829 | Report this post

Knockdown3  
Last year

Part of it is the notion of being a new club, on an island detached from the mainland etc.
The underdog title is an easy narrative to conjure on that basis

The reality is though that they're easily a potential grand final team come the end of the season.

They're defiantly in my top three

Reply #927834 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last year

I believe I tipped them in the top two.

Reply #927837 | Report this post

Jackies  
Last year

But don't forget Sydney will add Hogg and United to add JLA. With those guys, chances are those teams score more than 72 and 75 next time, and they beat JJ's next time.

And Jackies will add Magnay?

Reply #927838 | Report this post

a5ian nbl fan  
Last year

Magnay ain't back anytime soon

Reply #927839 | Report this post

Scout  
Last year

Interesting posts, I have no doubt that there is more talent on both Sydney and Melbourne rosters. Obvious that this is what leads a lot of pundits to not rate the Jackjumpers roster.

Yep they embrace the underdog persona - why not? Defend the Island resonates with Tasmanians. Pisses some off. Tassie is not trying to be Sydney or Melbourne but are competing with them.

Have watched Tasmanian teams compete for a long time, back in the Devils days they were not expected to win and there is still that apprehension and expectation from others that they will not be successful. The way to be successful is hard work (grit and grind) as opposed to buying in a roster which the JJs can not do.

Yep Perthworld the establishment of the team would make a great documentary, including the initial long-term contracts that were given to some, that was needed at the time, have moved on now. Now it is only one-year deals (except for Doyle).

Players who come to the JJs are not promised minutes but earn them, this is in line with having to compete on every play.

There is still a lot of scope for improvement across all teams and to be honest without Doyle they would not have won against MU but all teams need a clutch player - Doyle is the JJs. Yep LV teams have others to come in (as do the JJs) but wins this time of year are gold! Would still tip MU and Sydney to be top 2.

Reply #927845 | Report this post

Baller  
Last year

There genuine title contenders this season Doyle is absolutely flying Crawford is starting to get acclimatised as well a dangerous back court. Still got magnay to come back as well

Reply #928021 | Report this post

a5ian nbl fan  
Last year

they might be better without magnay

Reply #928022 | Report this post

Baller  
Last year

I think magnay would still be handy come playoffs lee tends to get in foul trouble pretty easy with him of it leave's them light on for bigs

Reply #928155 | Report this post

Baller  
Last year

If Crawford gets on a role in games like that there going to take some stopping

Reply #928975 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:13 pm, Mon 29 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754