Manu Fieldel
Last year

NBL's tantrum

They aren't angry, they're just disappointed.

The league felt the need to issue a statement today, expressing "deep disappointment" and "concern" over the unauthorised footage leak which brought their single-person judiciary's decision into question.

As though a professional sports league hasn't ever had an information leak in the past.

It would seem the footage makes them look bad so they've thrown a tantrum in media release form.

Topic #51489 | Report this topic

Ben  
Last year

Could've been someone from the NBL (or Cairns) who leaked it. The footage is commensurate to the suspension imo.

Reply #928284 | Report this post

Tomdelonge2  
Last year

who leaked it

Reply #928286 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Last year

NBL with the hissy fit.

They were never going to be impartial due to the league directly paying Baynes part of his salary.

Reply #928298 | Report this post

Lawndale  
Last year

Pretty funny, upset more at the leak than the incident

Reply #928311 | Report this post

drewey10  
Last year

Clear from the video Forde started it, he mouthed off, and layed a hand on Baynes

Reply #928331 | Report this post

Sherro  
Last year

Anyone got a link to said footage??

Reply #928335 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Last year

https://www.facebook.com/100064940370365/videos/1710869326078572/

Forde clearly should've been punished as well.

Reply #928337 | Report this post

AntAntAnt  
Last year

Scared of Moldovan.

Reply #928338 | Report this post

koberulz  
Last year

Nothing about Forde is clear from the footage.

Reply #928339 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Last year

He's not John Cena mate, he's there on video instigating.

Reply #928341 | Report this post

Lawndale  
Last year

He's half the size of Baynes and a senior figure, whatever he said and even the touching didn't need that reaction

Reply #928342 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Last year

Bolden's a fair bit taller than Pinder at least a couple of inches taller. I know they're both listed as 6'8" but I think I remember Bolden being listed as 6'10" when he was drafted by Philly which would appear to be more accurate.

Reply #928343 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Last year

Correct Lawndale, but he instigated nevertheless. Baynes obviously should've been suspended, and Forde shouldn't have gotten off scot free.

Reply #928347 | Report this post

Damo 75  
Last year

You must be looking at different footage to me.

And I'm assuming when you match the audio up with it, it makes it even clearer Forde did nothing except not back down to Baynes (like the referees appeared to do).

Reply #928351 | Report this post

LV  
Last year

After seeing that, My view hasn't changed- Baynes got off lightly.

Should Forde have been punished? My immediate reaction is, perhaps a small fine for waiting in the corridor and (it appears) starting the verbals that provoked Baynes

But yeah, Baynes deserved more than 3. You don't push a coach into a wall. I don't care what Forde said.

Reply #928352 | Report this post

LV  
Last year

More than 5* overall I mean. Cumulatively he was completely out-of-control across the 3 incidents and a stronger message should've been sent

Reply #928354 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Last year

Reply #928356 | Report this post

KET  
Last year

That audio must have been critical to clearing Forde of any wrongdoing, because I don't think the video in itself does from that footage!

Baynes should have been slapped a 5-fer for the push alone imo

Reply #928361 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Last year

Was there actually audio or is that an assumption?

Reply #928364 | Report this post

KET  
Last year

Yes Forde was mic'd up

Reply #928366 | Report this post

Turnover  
Last year

@ LV,
not sure how Baynes got off lightly? 5 games for pushing someone? Imagine the AFL and NRL, blokes will be getting 15 weeks for striking. What did Brooks get for hitting someone in the nuts, nothing, just tossed, surely that's a 5 games suspension?

The whole incident wouldn't have happened if Forde wasn't there. But that's how our society reacts... punish the person that reacts, not the person that starts it.

Should Baynes have pushed him? No, should have walked away. But had had just been elbowed in the chin so was emotionally on edge. Brisbane should have had a staff member with him.

Reply #928368 | Report this post

LV  
Last year

When was the last time someone physically confronted an AFL coach at half time? Remind me?

Brisbane handled the whole thing terribly. At no point was Baynes accompanied by any staff member- not walking into the tunnel at half-time, not walking out of the change room at half-time and not when he was ejected.

At least 4 of the 5 game suspension could've been avoided if they'd had someone with him. And possibly the whole lot- because if the on-court incident was the sole incident unlikely NBL goes to tribunal IMO. Even though they slapped a nominal 1 gamer on that.

Reply #928374 | Report this post

GordonG  
Last year

Since you don't have any audio (and the NBL does) you have absolutely no idea what Forde said to Baynes. Could have been something simple like "Look mate, let's just get on with the game, sorry Lat hit you." The NBL have the coaches audio - no-one else does.

Reply #928378 | Report this post

LV  
Last year

That's 100% true- GordonG. Without that, we're all guessing. But based on the video not sure how anybody could think Baynes was harshly treated by the NBL.

Reply #928417 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Last year

In the context of coach-player clashes, how does Baynes' actions and punishment compare with Steve Breheny getting 8 games (IIRC) suspension for headbutting Damian Keough on-court in September 1989. Noting Breheny missed two semi-final games and two grand final games as part of that suspension. While Keough got a bloody nose and the events took place in the public gaze (on court in a televised playoff game), I think Baynes' multiple actions, on and off court should have received at least an equivalent punishment and probably more severe.

Reply #928435 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Last year

Definitely. Sprewell got 73 games for choking his coach in practice, I would argue attacking an opposition coach is worse and due to the massive size and strength difference here Baynes could've done serious damage to Forde. Whatever Forde said to him beforehand is irrelevant.

How Baynes didn't get 15 games or more I'll never know, well I do know why but still.

Reply #928437 | Report this post

Ben  
Last year

The lack of transparency from the NBL regarding the entire incident has been the largest issue to this point.

Sharing more info et al would put a lot of conjecture to bed.

Reply #928450 | Report this post

Lawndale  
Last year

On Boguts podcast he said Longleys Job on the Boomers was to keep Baynes anger in check

Reply #928464 | Report this post

hoopie  
Last year

Yeah, nah. Maybe that was ONE of Longley's responsibilities, but he contributed a helluva lot more to the program than just that.

Reply #928473 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Last year

Isn't the anger an issue post-Tokyo injury?

Reply #928476 | Report this post

Q Anon  
Last year

Bogut also back up my earlier comment that we wont see Baynes again. He says something along the lines of thats why Brisbane didn't appeal because he wasn going to play anyway.

@Perthworld Baynes was very well known for his short fuse pre Tokyo. Possibly why he bounced around the NBA a bit.

Reply #928478 | Report this post

Ben  
Last year

Bogut's pod today said that Brisbane weren't appealing as the team felt the time off from the game (and away from the team?) would be beneficial to Baynes. No intimation that he wouldn't be back this season.

Bogut's pod last week said that Baynes had a known short fuse. He would commonly go off during training at Boomers camps and leave the court for 15 minutes to blow off some steam, then would return level headed. This goes as far back as when Baynes and Bogut were both on the squad.

The way the Bullets worded a statement on the matter (we are fully committed to provide support to Aron at this 'difficult time') leads me to think there is something more going on in the background we are not privy to. It's obviously a private matter and I'm not going to speculate what.

Reply #928526 | Report this post

Lawndale  
Last year

Probably hungry

Reply #928779 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:17 am, Sun 28 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754