Perthworld
Last year

United to honour 1993 Melbourne Tigers championship team

United to honour 1993 Melbourne Tigers championship winning team on Sunday

This Sunday we are also excited to be celebrating the 30 year anniversary of the Melbourne Tigers winning the 1993 NBL Championship. A superstar team featuring the likes of Andrew Gaze, Lanard Copeland, Mark Bradtke, Ray Gordon, Warrick Giddey and Dave Simmons, we will shine a light on the group that delivered the Tigers their first Championship. The team will be honoured at halftime as they run out on to the hardwood once again.

At least they didn't fixture the Wildcats in as their opponent.

Topic #51521 | Report this topic

Perthworld  
Last year

and yes, we booed Gaze.

Reply #929086 | Report this post

JMS  
Last year

This is tough. Grew up a Magic fan playing at Kilsyth snd the Tigers were the enemy. Many years later with no SE Melbourne team around and United entering the scene that was the logical decision and have stuck with it.

Reply #929087 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Last year

Hopefully they do it wearing Magic jerseys again.

Reply #929092 | Report this post

NBLTigers  
Last year

I think United aren't wearing any Tigers, Magic jerseys. I’ll be wearing my Tigers jersey for this match, can’t wait!

Reply #929094 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Last year

Were the 1992 Magic honoured by either Melbourne franchise last season? If so were the 1988 and 1989 double winning Giants also recognised a few seasons ago?

If not the rabble continues.

Reply #929096 | Report this post

LC  
Last year

Nope.

Reply #929098 | Report this post

LV  
Last year

United is the continuation of the Tigers. It was a re-branding.

That was always the case.

It's just that they tried to broaden their appeal in the initial few years when there wasn't another Melbourne club

Reply #929101 | Report this post

LV  
Last year

And in hindsight, it's a shame the Phoenix couldn't have entered a few years earlier because there wouldn't have been any justification for a re-brand, and we'd still have the Tigers

Reply #929102 | Report this post

Cram  
Last year

United pretending they're the Tigers when its convenient again.

I went to the 30 year anniversary party earlier in the year. Much better than whatever this is.

Reply #929104 | Report this post

Q Anon  
Last year

The premise coming direct from LK and Slepoy was that with the Tigers being the sole Melbourne team it wasn't commercial to have kids paying against the Tigers during the week and then cheering for them on weekends.

Ive never warmed to the United name but it is an evolution of the Tigers franchise.

Reply #929105 | Report this post

Anonymightymouse  
Last year

That was the public justification, but I believe the real reasoning was finance-related.

Reply #929106 | Report this post

LV  
Last year

There was some logic to it. I myself played junior rep basketball for a decade and I can confirm the Tigers juniors had a bad name because of their poaching.

So it made some sense. But with two caveats:

First as mentioned earlier, with Phoenix' arrival the rebranding became redundant.

Two, the Tigers had started growing rapidly even before the rebrand as LK injected cash and his nous into the league.

How much the rebrand helped (how much growth could've been achieved anyway without it) will forever remain in the realm of conjecture.

Reply #929114 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last year

I always thought they needed a rebrand was needed, just didn't like united as a name. It has worked out well though

Reply #929116 | Report this post

Gus3232  
Last year

"If so were the 1988 and 1989 double winning Giants also recognised a few seasons ago?"

Just to correct a very minor thing which isn't really relevant, but the Giants only won in 1989. Canberra took out 1988.

Reply #929118 | Report this post

Anonymightymouse  
Last year

"How much the rebrand helped (how much growth could've been achieved anyway without it) will forever remain in the realm of conjecture."

In terms of fan engagement we will never know whether it was an overall positive or not, but I understand financially it allowed them to leave quite a bit in the past.

Reply #929119 | Report this post

Anonymightymouse  
Last year

Could be wrong, but that was the word at the time.

Reply #929120 | Report this post

LV  
Last year

That's an interesting thought, but I don't remember any discussion about that whatsoever

Reply #929121 | Report this post

Bol  
Last year

The eerie silence that engulfed the PEC when Gaze iced the game at the foul line still haunts me to this day

Reply #929129 | Report this post

NBLTigers  
Last year

I was also at the 30 year anniversary party. It was a great night meeting all the legend's. All really nice blokes, down to earth. The legends box isn't far from where I sit, always see them smiling.

Reply #929202 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Last year

In terms of fan engagement we will never know whether it was an overall positive or not, but I understand financially it allowed them to leave quite a bit in the past.

They had to pay Watson and L. Gaze to use the name? I vaguely recall the topic being brought up during the rebrand.
That's an interesting thought, but I don't remember any discussion about that whatsoever

I do.

Reply #929203 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:17 am, Sun 28 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754