Tomdelonge2
Last year

Brisbane @ Perth, Oct 27

Perth need this. The army will tear down the stands with anything but a W here.

Topic #51524 | Report this topic

Ballman  
Last year

Maybe with Gleeson about to step in soon, anything short of convincing win could be trouble for Rillie.

Reply #929164 | Report this post

Ben  
Last year

GM Danny Mills seems to be escaping any criticism despite shitty roster construction the last two seasons.

Reply #929197 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last year

A lot Perth fans were happy with the roster before season started, Pinder, Sarr, Usher were supposedly good additions

Reply #929199 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Last year

GM Danny Mills seems to be escaping any criticism despite shitty roster construction the last two seasons.

I do try my best but to no avail it seems.

I stated pointing out red flags beginning with the podcast interview, including Hutchy's worrying reasons why they made the hire, prior to his first season at the helm.

Reply #929204 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Last year

#Gleeson2024

Reply #929205 | Report this post

Ben  
Last year

The Wildcats stumblings over the last two seasons is a perfect example of why coaches should be given greater/final input over player signings. This ain't the NBA where there is a need for a greater separation of powers between coaches and front office.

Coaches here know their strengths and can recruit as such. Far more difficult when you've got someone sitting in an office playing moneyball and assembling a team on the viewpoint of what they think is right.

Anyway, tonight will be a feel good thrashing for the Wildcats, with the beatdown to sate the Red Army somewhat.

Reply #929230 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Last year

No Baynes
No Scott.
Wildcats at home.

Brisbane by 5.

Reply #929233 | Report this post

Ballman  
Last year

Normally I would say @LoveBroker is trolling us, but in honesty it just could happen how hopeless they look out there.

Reply #929235 | Report this post

MaxM  
Last year

Either Cotton gets going, or Mitch Norton and Brisbane shut him down, and win. Simple as that for me.

Perth can't defend the paint - big games for Harrison, Zikarsky, Sobey incoming.

Reply #929240 | Report this post

Another Anon  
Last year

Had to have a nibble on Bris @$3.60

Reply #929241 | Report this post

JMS  
Last year

"The Wildcats stumblings over the last two seasons is a perfect example of why coaches should be given greater/final input over player signing".

You don't think Rillie had much involvement in the roster creation? It certainly looks a talented and dynamic team - on paper they look as good as anyone. In my opinion the poor early season results are more related to the game plan and setting the right expectations. Guys like Usher need to be reminded that he’s there to provide a secondary option to Cotton. Webster brothers likewise.

Agreed that this will be the game it all clicks.

Reply #929244 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last year

Perth by 10

Reply #929245 | Report this post

Knowall  
Last year

Well I'm batting. 100% over last 5 games. 100% wrong so here goes. Perth to win by 10. My reasoning team whole v team bit broken.

Reply #929246 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last year

I know how you feel Knowall. I don't gamble so at least it’s not costing me anything.:::)))

Reply #929248 | Report this post

spEKTre  
Last year

The Roster is not the issue, its probably the best we've had in a while. Its the lack of game plan for Cotton, he is down 15+ points a game and has to play out of his form slump.

Reply #929249 | Report this post

Another Anon  
Last year

Perth do not set a single off ball screen for Cotton anymore. It's actually really hard to comprehend

Reply #929253 | Report this post

Tomdelonge2  
Last year

Yep. Perth are cooked but surely they roll spoon favourites Brisbane

Reply #929258 | Report this post

Another Anon  
Last year

2mins in. No change. Even if Rillie sees out his contract he'll never coach again.

Reply #929271 | Report this post

Screeningnick  
Last year

Tai Webster is atrocious.

Reply #929272 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last year

If this keeps going, I'm looking forward to the melts around here.

Reply #929273 | Report this post

EssenX  
Last year

Usher is just as bad as Webster.

Reply #929274 | Report this post

Anon  
Last year

Rillie can not survive this.... unless he is Adam Simpson

Reply #929275 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last year

Sarr must be thinking, let me get out hear, I'm losing millions in my draft spot.

Reply #929276 | Report this post

Tomdelonge2  
Last year

He has to go

Reply #929277 | Report this post

Anon  
Last year

Never seen Bryce go straight to the ref's so many times, reckon he might just be getting held onto a bit...

Reply #929278 | Report this post

EssenX  
Last year

Many of the Perth players look unhappy and down on confidence.

Reply #929279 | Report this post

Jatz  
Last year

Wow! 1st quarter not great. Come on Cats. Let's get it going

Reply #929280 | Report this post

Bol  
Last year

Looks like nothing has changed. Perth cant play in the half court with no system. Its too easy for teams to take them out of their game and they cant win games ugly with good defense

Reply #929281 | Report this post

Admiral  
Last year

Bad coaching
Tai Webster is terrible. Im not sure what he brings.
Pinder is not a centre, not even in the NBL
Usher has been terrible since his great first game
Cotton struggling with his role. Corey Webster is not a PG but Rillie seems to think that he is. Norton would give us good defence and passing.
Doolittle lives up to his name.
Cannot see Sarre being a top 5 pick in nba draft.

Harris seems to be giving 100%

Not sure what is wrong with Perth.

Reply #929282 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last year

Riley eyes looks like he hasn't slept in weeks.

Reply #929283 | Report this post

Anon  
Last year

Bryce straight back to the ref's, clearly fouled before throwing the ball away. Nbl might need to consider if he leaves perth he will leave the league. Like a good horse the league and the way they are officiating him is part the problem. Rillie the rest

Reply #929284 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last year

Pinder has played five all his time at Cairns, he's just in a slump or not that good. Perth should sack both there imports, get Jack White.

Reply #929285 | Report this post

EssenX  
Last year

36ers should have kept Harris. Smart and plays hard. Reminds me of Dillon Boucher. He'd be a better PG than Money Makin’ Mitch.

Reply #929286 | Report this post

Anon  
Last year

Webd9nt think Cotton was found once on the possession before his block??? Seriously....

Reply #929288 | Report this post

Lol, Tai pulling the the too small, then watching a baseline jumper go over his head

Reply #929289 | Report this post

Bol  
Last year

I miss Norto

Reply #929290 | Report this post

BG  
Last year

T.Webster - absolutely shit, has no no or confidence yet continues to taunt and celebrate though when he actually miraculously manages to scores

Cotton - struggling but it's hard to blame him in a shit system

Pinder - huge disappointment. he just charges at the ring for a layup or dunk

Usher - shit since his first game

Sarr - has potential and would do better with the right opportunities in the right system. Must be wondering why the hell he signed up for this

Rillie - cannot coach and has no system. He has to go

Reply #929291 | Report this post

Screeningnick  
Last year

Anyone else sickened that Pinder is probably on double the money that Marcus Lee is on?

Reply #929292 | Report this post

Ben  
Last year

She was the last time both teams went in to halftime with not one player on double figures.

Reply #929293 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last year

Perth showing some fight, now Rillie has to realise that you need a few workers amongst your stars, both Harris doing good things, Sarr should be the 5 ahead of Pinder, Doolittle got better as game progressed, some good passing and D, only one Webster at a time. Even when Cotton misses shots he's still class.
Brisbane also showing fight, just don’t have the cattle even though they are leading. Fouls on their bigs really hurt, same re Norton. Bannan showing a bit. Who plays D wins this.

Reply #929294 | Report this post

Andrew  
Last year

I liked what the Harris Boys brought the the end of Q1. H Harris needs to be playing over Usher at this point.

Reply #929295 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last year

Not understanding how cats starting same five in second half. Is the mask hindering

Reply #929296 | Report this post

Admiral  
Last year

Thought Wardenburg played the C for Cairns, not Pinder.

In reality Pinder has only had one very good season in the NBL. His first with Cairns he was average, despite winning most improved.

Reply #929297 | Report this post

Bol  
Last year

Usher just wants to make tough shots even tougher for himself. How about taking the jump shot instead of fading away off balance every time

Reply #929299 | Report this post

Screeningnick  
Last year

I literally think Rilley doesn't call timeouts because he doesn’t know what to say.

Reply #929300 | Report this post

Anon  
Last year

Everyv3rd quarter perth gets absolutely bent over by the officials. If that was a foul on Cotton then surely he is drawing 10 calls minimum when a game when he dribbles. Deadset, it's bad enough watching perth play without this one way officiating.

Reply #929301 | Report this post

Jatz  
Last year

Cats down 6. Bullets on a roll. Bullets now 57-46 with 3 free throws. Rillie calls time out. Clueless as a coach. 60-46 Bullets. It's not just him. Cats don’t seem to know how to play

Reply #929302 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Last year

The Cats' tradition of basketball excellence might be broken, but Anon's tradition of relentlessly sooking about the refs is still as strong as ever.

Reply #929303 | Report this post

Screeningnick  
Last year

17-0 run by Brisbane and the only reason Rillie called a timeout was for an unsuccessful challenge.

He is absolutely clueless.

Reply #929304 | Report this post

Jatz  
Last year

Bullets 17 zip run. Oh dear. Home game. Cats down 20 with 2 mins left in 3rd.

Reply #929305 | Report this post

Bol  
Last year

Bannan is one tough hombre. Nothing flashy but always gets to the right spots and very solid game

Reply #929306 | Report this post

Screeningnick  
Last year

Usher is a stain to the game of basketball.

Reply #929307 | Report this post

Bill on the ball  
Last year

It is horrible to watch - the team is just not playing wildcats ball anymore.

Reply #929308 | Report this post

BG  
Last year

Does this count as wagstaffs 450th if he doesn't even get on the court?

Reply #929309 | Report this post

Shano76  
Last year

Me thinks Trev is getting a call over the weekend. Surely JR can't survive this.
Was hoping Sixers may nab TG but those two wins probably saddle us with CJ for this season and beyond.

Reply #929310 | Report this post

Another Anon  
Last year

Can't say they're not playing Wildcats ball when they're barely playing any kind of ball at all.

Reply #929311 | Report this post

Bol  
Last year

Unfortunately some moron extended Rilies contract for an extra year

Reply #929312 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last year

McDaniel absolutely playing great D on Cotton and there is no plays to get him free. Usher should be on plane tonight. I don't like bagging coaches but Perth are a much better side on paper than they are performing.

Reply #929313 | Report this post

Dorito  
Last year

Wow this game is a mess

Reply #929314 | Report this post

Anon  
Last year

Zero fouls so far this quarter... to clarify Perth sucks, the ref's are not consistent in the way they have called this game, it's pathetic for a pro league. Rillie, and his "coaching" worse

Reply #929315 | Report this post

Anon  
Last year

Zero fouls so far this quarter... to clarify Perth sucks, the ref's are not consistent in the way they have called this game, it's pathetic for a pro league. Rillie, and his "coaching" worse

Reply #929316 | Report this post

Anon  
Last year

So we are happy in that not been a defensive foul on cottons drive? Player moving towards the offence in the protected area.... ref's aren't why perth are losing but he is a 3 time mvp, that's a foul. Also usf for a guy slipping.... ffs ref's strike again

Reply #929317 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Last year

Bryce is having an absolute mare atm. Nothing happening for him.

Reply #929318 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last year

Home cooking coming to the help here

Reply #929319 | Report this post

Anon  
Last year

So has Cotton been getting fouled all game? Cause all of a sudden we calling it. This must be so hard to play

Reply #929320 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Last year

#Gleeson2024

Reply #929321 | Report this post

Anon  
Last year

This Peth comeback is so difficult, think I would have preferred to lose by 30, more chance the coach gets sacked.

Reply #929322 | Report this post

Jatz  
Last year

@Perthworld.
Any chance #Gleeson2023? Please

Reply #929323 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last year

Harrison just got learn to straight up in D and he going to be a beauty

Reply #929324 | Report this post

Bol  
Last year

Well done Brisbane. They deserve the win

Reply #929325 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Last year

2024 is still so many games away....

Reply #929326 | Report this post

Screeningnick  
Last year

Webster brothers do not play winning basketball.

Pinder tries hard but he doesn't have a basketball brain.

Usher is arguably the worst player in the league, not import, PLAYER.

JR literally has no idea what he’s doing.

Reply #929327 | Report this post

Bol  
Last year

Gleeson not available until 2024.

Sack JR now and Lachy Reid could do a better job as interim coach

Reply #929328 | Report this post

Anon  
Last year

No fouls for 5 mins. 9 in the next 4. But yeah ref's doing a great job calling the game.....

Reply #929329 | Report this post

SmallieBiggs  
Last year

It's not the refs’ fault Perth are down...

Reply #929330 | Report this post

KWhite_Rulez  
Last year

Fire Rillie

Reply #929331 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Last year

Well done, Brissy. Pretty average really, but that's all it takes to defeat putrid.
Final score is flattering to the Cats if anything.

Reply #929332 | Report this post

Jatz  
Last year

Congrats Bullets. The much better team. Win by 5 is very flattering to a pretty average Cats.

Reply #929333 | Report this post

Andrew  
Last year

I missed the hungry jacks code. Was it coach?

Reply #929334 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Last year

Unfortunately some moron extended Rilies contract for an extra year

Said moron didn't realise Mike Kelly was the brains behind last season. Oops.

Ultimately it is all on Hutchy though who to paraphrase said about the GM appointment initially: "He was local and has NBA experience". Translation: he's cheap and we didn't have to relocate him. Said experience was as a lowly video coordinator. You can't make this stuff up. Amateur hour.

Reply #929335 | Report this post

Bol  
Last year

Two key players out and still come away with the win.

Good team always better that a team of individuals

Reply #929336 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Last year

HJ's should have trolled us and made the code word ex-coach, but yes, coach is the word.
Flame grilled coach.

Reply #929337 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Last year

Does the code work without showing a game ticket? Do the teens at HJ care?

(The important questions. Anything to distract us from what just happened.)

Reply #929338 | Report this post

Andrew  
Last year

The codes not working for me either

Reply #929339 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last year

Pinder scored 22 points, defensively was very average,Harrison dunk on him was class, Sarr value just dropped, again his D is average, Usher oh my, Cotton trying so hard to carry the team but with no structure at either end is a shadow. Doolittle tried hard and did some good team things. On paper this side should be fine but to many offensive players and no defenders.

Congratulations to Scheuler, good game plan and ball movement, some nice pieces, one of the teams playing for that sixth spot, Sobey good tonight, McDaniel defensively outstanding, you don't get stats for that but it wins games. Like how both their fives are developing, Bannon is banger, you need them, Norton very solid, exactly what cats need but they got downhill Tia. Rest team doing what’s needed.

Reply #929341 | Report this post

Knowall  
Last year

Who would want to take this team on.... they need to ….fk…..a whole of shit is needed, some one who can coach, some assistants that are older than the players. Some players who take their profession serious cause if Pinders your best 3 point shooter your in a whole lot of pain.
You got Harris ( a bench player) coming on and outplaying the import who boasted to the world he had defense and energy.
And if they all keep sulking they going to set a new low this season

Reply #929342 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Last year

Does anyone in the country think this team is playing to the level of its collective talent?
If no, then surely it's something that can be turned around with the right system and leadership.

I remember a lot of people being critical of Gleeson for not having a Plan B.
Having a decent Plan A should never be taken for granted!

Reply #929344 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Last year

If NZB win tomorrow we are rock bottom.

Reply #929345 | Report this post

BG  
Last year

Most players on this team are pretty talented or have areas they're very talented in, a good coach, good game plan, good system and good team work can bring out they’re strengths and hide some of their weaknesses. Problem is we have a bunch of low IQ players and no actual system or game plan, we look like some rec league guys at a pick up game and it’s a disjointed mess. Rillie is terrible and has to go.

Reply #929346 | Report this post

LV  
Last year

Didn't need to watch the game, this thread was entertaining enough

Reply #929347 | Report this post

Drexler  
Last year

T Webster was mouthing off to someone in the front rows behind players bench after the game and was lead away by Harris and others, someone was feeding it to him no doubt. Sort of looked like he was going at Usher but angles hard to read.

7 shades of shite from the Cats what a stinker

Schueller wanted for crimes against skinny jeans #kegonlegs

Reply #929349 | Report this post

Ballman  
Last year

Usher is surely on a plane this week, 7th game they can cut imports ? If we had an import that could reliable get 20ppg even this team would have won a few more games including tonights.

Harris was criminally underused, his impact on the 2nd quatter was notable. Needs to start over Usher (who I hope is gone). Doolittle did solid on the boards but he needs 10ppg to go with it.

Reply #929350 | Report this post

Anon  
Last year

Doolittle is one of the few guys that clearly has some if not high iq. Tai actually has not been the problem, he cops way too much heat, I didn't think he did a terrible job guarding Sobey tbh. Usher is like -82 on the season. He is either completely useless or needs a system and coach that can keep him accountable, probably the latter. But he can't defend for shit. Ref's were crap, they aren't why Perth lost, but the way they call the game seemingly changes every few minutes, it doesn't help the product.

Reply #929351 | Report this post

Another Anon  
Last year

Don't have full access to article but the fans have turned, especially if it's stretched to post game functions:
https://thewest.com.au/sport/basketball/perth-wildcats-game-angry-fans-at-rac-arena-boo-their-own-team-during-loss--c-12350932

Reply #929352 | Report this post

KET  
Last year

Perth v 36ers - loser nail in the coffin potentially?

3-6 would be pretty tough, whilst 4-5 could be season saving

Reply #929353 | Report this post

Colonial  
Last year

Best fans in the league eh?

Reply #929355 | Report this post

AngusH  
Last year

There is no way in hell Gleeson would take over this squad. I think his comments re: waiting for the right situation and not just taking the first offer that comes along is not exactly cryptic.

Reply #929356 | Report this post

sixtiesrockstar  
Last year

As a Sixers supporter having been on receiving end of Cotton and Perth a fair bit I can't really fathom what seeing with Cotton at the moment. Previous Perth teams had a system for Cotton and would do everything for him with whole structure lined up with X's and O's, getting movement and timing spot on, just for him. Having grunt players to do the screens, rebounding, etc, etc. You knew when playing them that cotton would come at certain parts of a game and would get going and control everything. Now with none of that and players that want their piece of the pie, the cotton stats should be invoking crisis meetings as his field goal percentage as the best player over last however many years is currently disastrous. It's not just the 3pt shooting that made Cotton so damaging, the team would be getting him layups, floaters and then he would find open players whenever he wanted. In last four games Cotton is 8-33 from 3pt and 9-34 from 2pt, he's not even getting those easy 2pt buckets at the moment.

Reply #929358 | Report this post

Admiral  
Last year

Found it funny at the end of the game when Corey Webster got the group together and addressed the team acting like he was our captain. Like you are a big part of the problem mate.

Reply #929359 | Report this post

Ballman  
Last year

Corey won two championships in the off season. he is an elite player let down by coaching.

Reply #929360 | Report this post

Admiral  
Last year

Winning championships in African leagues does not make you a championship player. Thats like saying you won the NBL1 championship. The facts are he has struggled to stay with one team (besides NZ) for a long time now. He is also NOT a pg

Reply #929361 | Report this post

Ballman  
Last year

Corey is not the problem, he single handily helped us get to the play-ins last season in some games when promoted to the starting 5. Tai to me is more questionable on some of his decisions.

But If 3 time MVP Cotton is playing as bad as he is and they cannot make sets for him then how can any else be playing well. its coaching.

Reply #929362 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Last year

Don't have full access to article but the fans have turned, especially if it's stretched to post game functions:
https://thewest.com.au/sport/basketball/perth-wildcats-game-angry-fans-at-rac-arena-boo-their-own-team-during-loss--c-12350932

The full article doesn't elaborate further on the fan reaction after the first paragraph viewsble for free, it's just a headline tacked on to a otherwise boring match report.

Reply #929363 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Last year

viewable*

Reply #929364 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Last year

Best fans in the league eh?

No doubt, as we aren't accepting of the ineptitude on display.

Reply #929365 | Report this post

LV  
Last year

I said this when United played Perth, they weren't running plays for Cotton. Delly and Ili were denying the ball and it became 4 on 4 half the time. Rillie didn't rectify it. Time to go.

Reply #929367 | Report this post

Drexler  
Last year

Just saw a reposted tweet from BC's wife summing up exactly what everyone else has been saying about no system, no clear roles, other players not doing their job etc. Home truth getting real!

Reply #929371 | Report this post

Tomdelonge2  
Last year

No news this morning from the West?

What is Hutchy doing? He has single handedly ruined this club

Reply #929372 | Report this post

AlphabetA  
Last year

Interesting that many keep saying that for so much talent the team is underperforming. I just think it's a whole bunch of individuals who are talented in their own right but can't or won't play together. I've been watching Tai Webster for so many year keep doing exactly same silly things and yet he keeps landing in this league as some kinda Messiah, same with his bro. Anyway I couldn't shake off the feeling last night that they collectively simply didn't want to play for the coach so I'm guessing the change may come hopefully soon. And the coach didn't want to acknowledge his captain and his achievement by putting him on the floor - that's just a poor form, not sure JR is in a sound state of mind at all.

Reply #929380 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last year

JR looked exhausted, his eyes were so glazed, I don't know him but he comes over as reasonable person, let’s hope he gets through this unscathed. It’s only a basketball game in the end.

Reply #929382 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Last year

No news this morning from the West?

Their latest piece is an announcement that Gleeson will be on their basketball podcast once a fortnight.

Reply #929384 | Report this post

Ballman  
Last year

We are being negative against a lot of the players, im guilty of it as well. But I think in this case it is squarely coaching when basic sets and plays do not seem to exist.

Be good at the next game for a chant "Rille out , Rille out"

Reply #929385 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Last year

The problem is, if they don't get Gleeson who is only free after 1 July, how can anyone have faith in Mills making a good coaching appointment?

Compounding the timing gap issue is Rillie sucking too hard too early which may result in a hasty decision being made now since there is no assistant in place who is capable of taking over for the remainder of the season (another howler on the club's part).

"SEG out, SEG out" should be the catch cry.

Reply #929387 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Last year

On 1 July I should have said, not after.

Reply #929388 | Report this post

Jack Knife  
Last year

Unfortunately the Wildcats are now a mess. The performance last night is symptomatic of a broader organisational malaise.

To me, the key things that ownership needs to do:

Appoint a CEO - I've said it before but one of the biggest mistakes these owners have made was not appointing a new CEO when they parted ways with the previous incumbent. One can only assume that they think they don’t need one, but it is unfair on coach and staff that they don’t have anyone to step in and take some heat when the fan base is after them. Owners may be able to fill this role with other teams, but it doesn’t work in a parochial market like Perth when ownership is based in Melbourne. A few Zoom meetings doesn’t cut it. The CEO needs to be engaged day to day with fans, sponsors and community.

Change the coach - unfortunately, and perhaps partly due to a lack of day to day oversight and guidance, the owners are losing the fans, and it looks like the coach has lost the players. Although I suspect there will some resistance to bowing to the baying mob, ownership have got only themselves to blame for the current situation. Gleeson would obviously be ideal and based on what he has said this week, he is available for the right opportunity.

Put the GM on notice - it’s hard to see from the outside, but there is little evidence that the GM has added a lot. Rosters from the last couple of years have been unbalanced, unwise contract extensions, contracts having to be paid out...for what benefit. Don’t renew his contract when it’s due.

Reengage fans - one of the small things they could do which would have a big impact is get Lachy back permanently for game nights if he was open to it. It is a completely different experience when he has the mike land I have no doubt he would be able to keep the fans with the team.

All of this costs money, but ownership is at a crossroads….calculate how many members you have to lose in order to justify these steps and the answer will be obvious.

Rant over!

Reply #929389 | Report this post

Drexler  
Last year

Trev is available whenever he feels like being available, he's not restricted to July next year at all.

https://youtu.be/oYF1hy57IWM?si=xBdtn2HFZ8odD3AK&t=301

Reply #929390 | Report this post

Bol  
Last year

Well said JK

Reply #929392 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Last year

Excerpt from an article this morning quoting Gleeson on his employment situation:

Gleeson was released by the Toronto Raptors with one year remaining on his contract after the NBA club sacked Head Coach Nick Nurse. The five-time championship winning coach is still being paid by the Raptors which means he's not actively chasing any jobs.

"Not this year," he told The Dribble Podcast.

“I will coach again and I would like to finish my career in the NBL but that’s just not at the moment. I’m under contract with Toronto until July next year. I’ve just spent two years in the snow and I’m enjoying this hot weather and am enjoying some family time with my kids and wife.

“I am certainly not looking for a position at the moment.”

So reading between the lines he _could_ but it's up to him.

Would you rather chill out or takeover this rabble? Most of the issues currently stem from the fact SEG are cheapskates so what chance they offer Gleeson a lucrative enough contract regarding the post-30 June 2024 years to return right now?

Reply #929393 | Report this post

AlphabetA  
Last year

Not sure if I heard it wrong but it was either on the broadcast last night or even before when Trev's potential appointment was discussed and it was said that he was still being paid by the Raptors. Basically taking on any other role would result in a cease of his contract?! Unless he coaches for free :)

Reply #929395 | Report this post

AlphabetA  
Last year

Thanks PW - seems we posted at the same time

Reply #929396 | Report this post

Jack Knife  
Last year

It would be quite simple to structure a contract with Gleeson to be back ended so that while he continues to be under his NBA contract, he is paid a minimal amount by a new team and then that is made up after his NBA contract concludes. That would be better for him and would also help the club with short term cash flow if the current coach had to be paid out.

Reply #929397 | Report this post

Drexler  
Last year

Be interesting to know how much he is owed roughly by Toronto. Certainly doing some commentary and corporate stuff for play money while getting the tail end of a NBA contract is financially a better option than essentially coaching for free in the NBL on a cheaper deal but if you are sitting around itching to coach and there are teams who could really (Rillie) do with your proven systems, skills and resume then who knows... a pipe dream likely

Reply #929398 | Report this post

Ballman  
Last year

If there are no changes this week, I hope half the members do not turn up to the next home game. A half empty stadium is the way to send a message that its time for change.

SEM has made mistakes in their first two seasons not making change fast enough. They need to appoint proper club management and proper coaching.

We cannot blame them for not spending this year on the roster, its more talented than anything Gleeson ever had. They have spent big, this is what makes their current situation so frustrating. Had Gleeson been in charge this year even with Hutchy and Mills I think he would of found the right imports and also have got proper defensive and offensive plays in place.

Reply #929399 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Last year

Trev is available whenever he feels like being available, he's not restricted to July next year at all.

https://youtu.be/oYF1hy57IWM?si=xBdtn2HFZ8odD3AK&t=301

Good link Drexler. Here is an embed of the specific portion, although I do feel dirty about this since it features Heal:

Reply #929400 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last year

As I've said before, be careful, there isn’t ownership groups hanging off trees, the owners and management might be wrong but things don’t change that quickly. Kings when they came back into the league were a basket case, wasn’t till Smith took the club over did it change, most around here think Smith is a fool. Illawarra also on struggle street with new owner paying out big money, yes goorg got them to finals twice but no success. Brisbane the same, it’s not easy putting teams and coaches together. Most sides similar since the LK days, new owners but not much success.

Reply #929403 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Last year

I've extracted the subtitles for those who would rather read than watch the video above:

"Code's number one basketball writer Matt Logue joins us for the Logue Down, you've got news on multiple NBL Championship winning coach Trevor Gleeson."

"Yeah guys had a great chat with Trevor the other day and he's revealed that he's available to coach. So basically his third year with the Raptors ended abruptly and whatever - if he gets a new job anywhere in the world - whatever he earns from that will just come off what the Raptors will pay him for the remaining third year. His NBA is where he wants to be but he said the best offer and hasn't ruled out the NBL so it comes there's a few coaches in the NBL under pressure."

"Well it spells danger for NBL coaches because the clubs would actually have to pay out the current coach so Trevor Gleeson would be able to take less in the first year backend his deal where he ends up getting his
average anyway but at the back end because he's getting paid by Toronto anyway so you would think that teams are going to have to jump because he's one of the greatest coaches we've seen in NBL history, available now, teams struggling, they got to make a move."

"Well I pose the question who do you think of those three coaches, the Perth Illawarra Adelaide, who's under the most pressure?"

"Well you you'd have to say CJ's under the most pressure knowing it's the last year of his contract and they've got a big budget team and they haven't been able to get it done but John Rillie is under a lot of pressure as well only his second year which makes it a little bit different but they lose another couple of games and uh you think a big club like the Perth Wildcats, it's going to make it hard for him."

"I do believe Trevor is living in Perth currently too."

Reply #929404 | Report this post

KET  
Last year

Trevor will be Wildcats next coach imo

Reply #929405 | Report this post

Drexler  
Last year

There is a god, Trevor be thy name

Reply #929407 | Report this post

RobT  
Last year

There is a god, Trevor be thy name

Isn't that a bit Sack(Rillie)geous?

Reply #929409 | Report this post

Colonial  
Last year

With the back office as bad as it is why would Gleeson go back?

When he was there they had an office that was one of the best, if not the best, in the League. Nowhere near it now.

Reply #929410 | Report this post

Anon  
Last year

The hard thing is will Trev want to coach in a situation where Mills is dictating who we sign?

Reply #929411 | Report this post

Drexler  
Last year

Rob T! Next level punnage respect

Reply #929412 | Report this post

hoopie  
Last year

RobT - nice one

Colonial and others - I fully agree with your general comment "why would Trev want to come to this basket case of an organisation?" If he has muppets above him who won't give him the support or budget or control to set up a high-performing TEAM, and he inherits an out-of-sorts group many of whom won’t or can’t play together, and Cotton is in the last years of his career so won’t be around for much longer, would ANY amount of money ever be enough to make up for the frustration and pain?

He’d be smarter going anywhere BUT Perth, Adelaide and Illawarra, to make a good program better. Perth should be the last place to go to.

Reply #929413 | Report this post

Ballman  
Last year

Goorjian went into Illawara and became a finals team. A good coach backs themselves to get the team winning.

Also he lives here :)

Reply #929414 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last year

Goorg had a team on mega dollars to win a championship, they went out in the semi, not the result they thought would would happen. That's not bagging goorg, it shows how hard it is to win with new franchises.

Reply #929416 | Report this post

Anonymightymouse  
Last year

Spot on Dunkman, they invested the coin to have a real crack at it and they did, played very well but just fell short.

Reply #929418 | Report this post

Bill on the ball  
Last year

I think Perth hasn't got a choice because if fans dictate, they better listen.

I can’t imagine the management did not take notice of the boos. They are an entertainment group, they should know marketing. If they ignore, their investment can go belly up. It is not too late to change and it has to be done (better immediately) if they want to hold on to advertisers and fans.

Reply #929426 | Report this post

Tomdelonge2  
Last year

Read the room Hutchy.

Vote with your feet Army. Don't turn up

Reply #929443 | Report this post

Big Fudge  
Last year

Usher reads the instagram comments, I posted a comment about him on the Perth Wildcats Instagram page, 30 minutes later he sent me a message telling me "watch your fu**ing mouth, shrimp"

Didnt bother responding, id have assumed he would be more concerned with the stinker of a game he played instead of reading fans intagram comments but hey there we are.

Would be amazing to see the fans not turn up to a game, but it wont ever happen.

Reply #929526 | Report this post

Ballman  
Last year

Usher probably the worst performing import in the league at the moment. His high negative +/- reflect how little he impacts the game positively. Is the coach to blame for this ? He played very well in the preseason.

In perth you cant hide as a bad import, we are alike the Manchester United or Real Madrid of the NBL. If you do not bring your A game, you will get flamed in the media, in the weekly basketball shows, in print etc..

Someone like Usher may be better asking to be released and go elsewhere to protect his stocks.

In terms of fan numbers been hovering at around 10k fans attending, thats 3000 seats not being filled. I would expect it to start dropping a few thousand over time. I have tickets myself I would love to get a refund for, would have more fund 2 hours gardening that watching the train wreck we see on court now.

Reply #929532 | Report this post

Ballman  
Last year

Lauchy Reid reporting:

@PerthWildcats owner @craighutchy
says "we have a head coach in John Rillie we are supportive of him and that's where it begins and ends" my chat with him coming up tonight"

He is probably right, finals aspirations for this season has ended. The fact that Hutchy and co gave Rillie and extension after missing finals last year boggles the mind.

Reply #929545 | Report this post

Big Fudge  
Last year

Quite a disappointing and deflating comment from Hutchy to be honest with you. In the Bendat era Rillie would be gone along with Usher, Doolittle...

Reply #929546 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last year

Sometimes you have to be patient and show restraint, it's not great if you’re a cats supporter but all clubs go through this, just look at man United, Liverpool in the premier league. Just enjoy the ten championships you have and sit tight, support your club. It will turn.

Reply #929547 | Report this post

Tomdelonge2  
Last year

PITY WE CANT GET RID OF HUTCHY!!! WHAT HAS HE DONE TO THIS PONCE GREAT CLUB

Reply #929548 | Report this post

Tomdelonge2  
Last year

PITY WE CANT GET RID OF HUTCHY!!! WHAT HAS HE DONE TO THIS PONCE GREAT CLUB

Reply #929549 | Report this post

Big Fudge  
Last year

Dunkman, I think its more about how its happened as opposed to the fact that the Cats are struggling.

From an on court stand point
Club has new ownership, suddenly we are signing coaches with no HC experience, let alone NBL coaching experience. We are making very poor player signings, and then sitting on our hands doing nothing when the problem is right in front of us. Whether it was end of the Morrison season where we failed to sign an import in time, or last season when the Cats were being out rebounded game after game, to this season where the coach has lost the players. On top of that the player signings have been questionable to add to the frustrations. Tai Webster running the point, 2 imports who do little (no pun intended). Some young promising guys on the bench who get a run one game but ride the pine the next.

From an off court stand point
Club has new ownership, suddenly the game night at the jungle is having all these changes to things that the fans clearly loved. Followed by a new membership portal which caused so many dramas where members had no memberships for round 1. Its all these pieces bit by bit that keep adding up to more and more frustration for a club with the biggest membership base in the NBL.

Me personally I couldn't care less about the off court stuff, but I know there is a lot of members who do care. And these things make them wonder if the new ownership really care about the fans like the previous ownership did.

So whilst yes, clubs wont win it every year, they of course have good seasons and bad seasons, the way its currently happening in Perth is a little different to how its been in the past. And it looks like nothing is being done about it.

Reply #929550 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last year

Ok Big Fudge, I'm hearing you, it’s tough. Experience takes time to learn and obviously the new owners are short on that. Other clubs are in the same boat.

Reply #929552 | Report this post

Isn't Cotton shooting a similar number of shots but at a dismal percentage? If Cotton shoots at his regular clip then there would be more W's I would think.

Is that on the coach or Cotton? He normally carries the team on his back.

Reply #929553 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Last year

Cotton's FGA are down a touch from last season 17.2 (7.8 3pa) to 15.6 (8.1 3pa), his FTA have halved though down from 7.8 to 3.9 this season.

22-23: 23.4 ppg @ 40.4% (36.2 3p), 91.3 FT

23-24: 14.4 ppg @ 29.4% (24.6% 3p), 85.2 FT

Reply #929555 | Report this post

Maybe  
Last year

There is no Martin , no Knight , no Redhage no Kay, no Norton and no Flex Offensive. Some or all of these are elements in the game style that suits Cotton and gave the team structure. Now the structure is not as obvious to most players, hence most seem to play as if it every man for himself to shine. Nobody seem to know who is the floor leader and most can not fit their ego into the role they have been given by the coach . Not even bringing back Trevor would turn this around and see this playing group perform like in the golden age.

Reply #929556 | Report this post

Jack Knife  
Last year

So Hutchy has spoken.

As much as the current situation is frustrating, I have no doubt the Rillie is doing his absolute best to turn it around. Whether his best is good enough remains to be seen.

However, the head coach decision is on Hutchy, not on Rillie and he said tonight that he hasn't even spoken to Gleeson.

There is no point on game night booing Rillie and the team. If anything, they need all the support we can give them. The people that are responsible are Hutchy and Teflon Mills. I would love to see the reaction if the Wildcats announced that Hutchy was in the crowd.

If fans want to protest the current state of affairs, in my opinion they should stay at home rather than attend and boo their own team. Send a message to the owners not a coach and players who are doing the best they can

Reply #929560 | Report this post

MaxM  
Last year

As I've said before, the financial of SEG, combined with the impotence of Danny Mills and Craig Hutchison means IMO John Rillie actually one of the safety coaches in the league right now.

No way he gets sacked this year. They extended him in the off season.

One thing I did like about Rillie was his willingness to change it up last season. They were at the same position last year (2-5) on a 5 game losing streak, when he benched Norton and Blanchfield.

Same things needs to happen now. Bench Usher and Tai Webster, start Corey and Hyrum Harris. Actually give Ben Henshall and David Okwera some run and see what happens. I still have faith that if Usher had his leash tightened he could effective.

We shall see!

Reply #929561 | Report this post

koberulz  
Last year

Usher reads the instagram comments, I posted a comment about him on the Perth Wildcats Instagram page, 30 minutes later he sent me a message telling me "watch your fu**ing mouth, shrimp"
This and the Webster thing would absolutely not have happened under the old regime.

The fact that Hutchy and co gave Rillie and extension after missing finals last year boggles the mind.
Perth made the finals last year.

Reply #929562 | Report this post

Anonymightymouse  
Last year

And won a final.

Reply #929563 | Report this post

Pablo Escobar  
Last year

Patience, or you'll get on the coaching roundabout, just ask Adelaide.

Andre Lemanis record at NZ to begin with was not flash...
05-06 9-23
06-07 11-22

Now it could've been quite easy to remove him after year 2, but they didn't, they stuck with him...

07-08 16-14
08-09 18-12
09-10 15-13

2010/11-13
3 NBL CHAMPIONSHIPS IN A ROW

Reply #929567 | Report this post

Outatime  
Last year

Rillie, future boomers head coach confirmed.

Reply #929583 | Report this post

MaxM  
Last year

Good analysis of the Wildcats here from Olgun/Kane Pittman:
https://podcasts.apple.com/au/podcast/the-espn-aussie-hoops-hour/id1547747137?i=1000633174255

Reply #929586 | Report this post

Big Fudge  
Last year

Thanks MaxM, gives me something to listen to when walking the dog tonight!

Reply #929587 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:34 pm, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754