Rhino
Last year

Jordan Usher - Greece?

Any weight to the rumour that Usher may be headed to Greece?

Assuming he'd have an out clause for a Euro contract.

Topic #51574 | Report this topic

hoopie  
Last year

Win-win for all parties?

Reply #930163 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Last year

Time to get another Usher reference in before he leaves.

♫ This is what you do
This is what you do
This is what you do

You make me wanna leave the one I'm with
Start a new relationship with you
This is what you do

You make me
You make me ♫

Reply #930164 | Report this post

TrevorTorrance  
Last year

Source for this rumour??

Reply #930165 | Report this post

Anonymightymouse  
Last year

I very much doubt he'd have a mid-season clause for Europe, but I reckon the Wildcats would pack his bags for him and drive him to the airport!

Reply #930166 | Report this post

Rhino  
Last year

"Source for this rumour??"

Saw it on an article from The Western Australian. Had a paywall so couldn't read it.

Also saw some references to him and Panathinaikos on Twitter/ X but they were not in English.

Reply #930167 | Report this post

twenty four  
Last year

Perthworld, you're so deeply into Jordan Usher that you'd leave the Wildcats and start following his new team in Greece?

Reply #930168 | Report this post

Another Anon  
Last year

Most I can get from the article:

Perth Wildcats coach John Rillie has dismissed speculation that Greek club Panathinaikos is attempting to recruit import Jordan Usher, saying it is nothing more than a rumour.

European media reported Panathinaikos coach Ergin Ataman is keen to sign Usher as a replacement for injured former NBA big man Juan Hernangomez.

Reply #930170 | Report this post

Drexler  
Last year

I say keep him. If he is able to continue to adapt as an individual as the team has over the last couple of games then his talent is well and truly an asset. A few fumbly passes and 2 missed free throws last game dont overshadow the rest of what he was able to do imo, plus who else are you going to get?

While not the exact same role cats tried to sign WMW and hes not exactly blowing up for NZ atm. He'd be on the arse end of all this vitriol if he was in Ushers spot right now doing the same thing. Give em time

Of course if Usher has a stinker tonight I might retract the above.

Reply #930171 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Last year

Perthworld, you're so deeply into Jordan Usher that you'd leave the Wildcats and start following his new team in Greece?

Hehe, it's Usher thinking about Panathinaikos (or any other team for that matter not coached by Rillie).

Reply #930172 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Last year

Most I can get from the article:

Use the Bypass Paywalls Clean extension.

Reply #930173 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Last year

Abracadabra, hocus pocus, open sesame...

Perth Wildcats coach John Rillie has dismissed speculation that Greek club Panathinaikos is attempting to recruit import Jordan Usher, saying it is nothing more than a rumour.

European media reported Panathinaikos coach Ergin Ataman is keen to sign Usher as a replacement for injured former NBA big man Juan Hernangomez.

Ataman coached against Usher in Turkey last season and the Wildcats forward scored 24 points against him in April.

But Rillie said there had been no contact between the teams.

"We're not in the business of dealing with rumours. It’s strictly a rumour," Rillie said.

“I’ve played in Greece so I know how that community operates in the sporting atmosphere.”

It is understood Wildcats players don’t have clauses in their contracts that would allow them to walk out for deals in Europe.

Usher was at Wildcats training on Thursday and Rillie said he’d checked to see if he was handling the increased focus.

“I’m always making sure all of our players are getting communicated with and making sure life is good because if your life is good, basketball then becomes good as well,” Rillie said.

“They’re rumours so that happens in any sport. There’s lots of speculation and rumour.”

The news from Greece came just days after Usher was moved out of the starting line-up. He responded with 17 points against Adelaide and 12 points against Melbourne United as the Wildcats won both games.

Rillie said Usher had handled the change of role with the right attitude.

“He responded very well,” he said.

“He knew what was going on last week. He responded well in practice and then our saw the results in the game both for himself and our team.”

The Wildcats will attempt to extend their winning run against New Zealand Breakers at RAC Arena on Friday night.

The Breakers are 2-5 but their record includes a three-point loss to South East Melbourne and a two-point defeat from Sydney in the last two rounds.

Rillie said his team must remain vigilant.

“They’re going to come fired up,” he said.

“Their record is 2-5 but I told the team, take us seven days ago and we were in a similar situation where the record does not reflect who they are.

“Their points differential is 1.5 per game. So they’re right there. If you just look at their record and go 'that’s who they are, they’re 2-5’ it will be a long night.

“We had a great weekend winning two games. But we are 4-5. That’s where none of us want to be. We have to keep trending in the right direction with the way we’re playing.”

Reply #930174 | Report this post

Ballman  
Last year

If it was true the Greek club would have to buy out Usher's contract if the cats were not going to release him.

The 3/4 swing players are probably the biggest group of imports you can find, hard to replace 4/5 men imports. So Usher would be replaceable a lot more easy if it went that way.

Main issue is disruption, brining a new guy in , running through plays etc.. When they brought Cotton in though it was immediate success.

Good that NBL clubs do not give Euro out clauses. NBA should be the only exception.

Reply #930175 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Last year

Very suspicious this 'rumour' comes out after his first game out of the starting lineup. I dare say he's not happy about coming off of the bench and his agent leaks this rumour in the hope the Wildcats release him.

Reply #930177 | Report this post

Anonymightymouse  
Last year

Ballman, Euro out clauses usually have to be exercised by a certain date, such as June 30 or July 31 to give teams time to find a replacement.

I wouldn't be surprised if Perth have been looking for a replacement and are open to releasing Usher. He reminds me of Jaron Johnson, the guy Bryce replaced. The talent is there, but mentally he makes so many mistakes that hurt the team.

Johnson has gone on to have a good career in Europe. Usher can obviously do that too, but I think Perth need a higher IQ player who can contribute more consistently.

Reply #930180 | Report this post

Kolzee  
Last year

I don't get the angst for usher that you cats supporters have... to me he seems decent albeit a but erratic

He's def not your biggest issue!

Reply #930186 | Report this post

Ben  
Last year

@ Zodiac - agree, likely agent leak

Reply #930187 | Report this post

hoopie  
Last year

Or his agent wants Wildcats to be so desperate to keep him that they put him back in the starting 5, which makes him more marketable.

I agree with your thoughts, Zodiac - too predictable and coincidental.

Reply #930188 | Report this post

AngusH  
Last year

As a non-Perth supporter, I hope he stays!

Reply #930190 | Report this post

Another Anon  
Last year

Maybe Perth can throw in a Webster brother or 2 to sweeten the deal!

Reply #930191 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last year

Totally agree with Zodiac, he's not even a like for like replacement, his agent just stirring pot and is probably mates with Panathinaikos to get a bit substance to the rumour. If I’m Perth I’m taking him to the airport.

Reply #930194 | Report this post

Ballman  
Last year

The main reason he is on the bench was due to his own subpar performances after game 1 with massive -negative +/- for many of those games.

Look at Rajon Tucker last year, started bad with Melbourne but by the end of the season was a top tier import having worked his way back into form. That shows character and commitment.

Reply #930203 | Report this post

Reader  
Last year

I wouldn't shed a tear if he left.

Reply #930204 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Last year

If I'm Perth I’m taking him to the airport.

I'll drive.

Reply #930222 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:47 pm, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754