Tomdelonge2
Last year

MU @ SEM, Nov 12

Can a beat up MU upset SEM ?

Topic #51578 | Report this topic

hoopie  
Last year

Tough call, this one. MU with the better coaching and teamwork but minus some key people. I'd still go for MU because of Vickerman, but it could be a tight one. Hopefully the refs take a low profile.

Reply #930285 | Report this post

Ben  
Last year

Ahhhh the local rivalry. If only this matchup was given a moniker that could be used at least 27 times each broadcast and podcast leading up to the game.

Reply #930286 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last year

Yes I still believe the ball does not move enough at SEM, Melbourne outs certainly helps SEM, will it be enough. Foul trouble could decide this game. To close to call for me.

Reply #930287 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Last year

Ahhhh the local rivalry. If only this matchup was given a moniker that could be used at least 27 times each broadcast and podcast leading up to the game.

Post of the Day, even though it's early.

Reply #930290 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last year

Quality game, Creek doing great, same with JLA

Reply #930296 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last year

Vickerman never stops getting into the refs, yap, yap, yap.

Reply #930297 | Report this post

Tomdelonge2  
Last year

JLA bets player in the comp?

Reply #930299 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Last year

Good game so far, JLA are starting to get in his groove. DJ even trying to play some semblance of defence albeit poorly. SEM should've cut Cummings earlier on, the injury to Big Sauce probably took the spotlight off of him.

Reply #930300 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last year

United by two, if they made free throws it would be more. Creek been great, foul trouble on moller has hurt Phoenix in the hustle role. JLA, Goulding fantastic, Loe been good too.

I can't see anyone getting near United at full strength.

Reply #930301 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last year

Excellent game

Reply #930302 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last year

Cummins is so iso, not good defensively either. Iso is killing SEM

Reply #930303 | Report this post

WC95  
Last year

Do we need to interview every sports celebrity or owner that's in the building?

Reply #930304 | Report this post

Tomdelonge2  
Last year

pathetic foul. shame job umps

Reply #930306 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last year

Creek does not understand help out defence.

Reply #930308 | Report this post

Another Anon  
Last year

Phoenix are the Freo Dockers of the NBL.

Reply #930309 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last year

I've said from day one, that other than moller, all their starters are so iso, it can work against the weaker teams but against a well drilled side like united, no chance. I don’t blame Kelly, it’s been that way since their start. Moller, Kenyon are trying to change it, Ayre is also trying but can go iso as well. Cummins will carve up weaker opposition but against quality sides, nope. Creek is a fantastic player though on D he struggles in team D, Cummins to the bench and start Kenyon. Maybe get fifth or sixth.

United are a well oiled machine, led by two absolute guns, Goulding and JLA, Illi defensively fantastic, Travers a great all rounder and even when out, the back ups step up. Vickerman is a master at the subs, working the refs and both offence and defence, best coach in the league at present. Add in young guns Cameron, Bowen, Hukaporti plus even Loe and Krebs. I can’t see any side getting near them.

Reply #930311 | Report this post

LV  
Last year

JLA looking like the MVP

Not saying he'll win it. Like Landale, It's looking like he'll be the true MVP regardless who wins

Reply #930312 | Report this post

Tomdelonge2  
Last year

Most influential player in the comp.... bar none. He deserves it and should win it (provided he stays healthy)

Reply #930313 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last year

He certainly hurt sauces chances.

Reply #930318 | Report this post

Crazy8  
Last year

Cummings out, Wall in?

Reply #930322 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Last year

Wall said he's leaving on Monday.

Reply #930327 | Report this post

JMS  
Last year

Classic Goulding performance. JLA v Williams was a great matchup but JLA just too hard to stop on both ends. Williams did miss some easy gets inside that he'd normally finish. Thought Cameron’s game was excellent, solid on defence, pushes the ball on offence and a great stroke from the three.

Surprised SEM didn’t go to Creek more inside in the second half - no clear matchup without Travers.

Reply #930332 | Report this post

JMS  
Last year

Agree with the observation that JLA is the current league MVP. His game has really matured since his time in China. Coming off the bench in 2021 behind Landale for much of the season he had the "green light" to shoot but it was sometimes out of control and too many threes. His game now is much more refined, better passing, shot selection and controlled aggression. Pity he is 29 as he looks like an NBA talent now.

Reply #930334 | Report this post

Anonymightymouse  
Last year

JLA was All-NBL first team in NBL22, really found his feet as a star then. If he continues current form (and no reason he won't) then he'll show that wasn't just a flash in the pan. Interestingly enough, there has been some NBA interest in him recently.

Reply #930335 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last year

JLA is an absolute beast, so long, really good hands, shot, full package, he's a lot better than quite a few in the nba including some Australians.

Reply #930336 | Report this post

AngusH  
Last year

He's improved a lot, and is smack bang in the middle of his prime years right now. With the way he plays too he should be able to keep it at this kind of level for years if he can avoid injuries.

Reply #930339 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Last year

JLA was far and away Melb's best player yesterday, destroyed Williams, yet the commentators gave the player of the game thing to Goulding. I like Goulding but he's only got to hit a few threes in a game, no matter how many he misses and they'll give it to him.

Reply #930346 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last year

To be fair Goulding was fantastic, hit some big shots at crucial times, such a pro. I see moller got the SEM player of the game. He's a very good allrounder, my sort of player, they just play for the team.

Reply #930347 | Report this post

hoopie  
Last year

Is JLA that much better than Thon Maker? While I would love to see JLA get the chance, Thon's NBA career never really worked out.

Reply #930349 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last year

He's got a lot more talent than thon, both inside and outside.

If I’m recruiting coaches I’m looking at United assistant coaches, Barlow put that scout together and he got it spot on. Carter and Chance also would be ideal, Scheuler has shown at Brisbane it’s a good school to learn at under Vickerman.

Reply #930353 | Report this post

Tomdelonge2  
Last year

$34 for MVP for JLA is a silly price at Ladbrokes and Neds

Reply #930355 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Last year

Not really he's missed too many games this season to be an MVP candidate.

Reply #930358 | Report this post

JMS  
Last year

Williams just couldn't stop JLA on the dribble going downhill. On the block Williams would have been much more comfortable defending. Agreed quality scout from Barlow.

Goulding hit 6 triples, a couple were outrageous and shifted momentum. On the +- he was up 14. Thought he was excellent and a worthy best player considering the attention he was getting.

Reply #930359 | Report this post

koberulz  
Last year

Not really he's missed too many games this season to be an MVP candidate.
It's no longer per-game voting, so games missed is less relevant than it used to be.

Reply #930360 | Report this post

Tomdelonge2  
Last year

Big finish to the season and I reckon he can still win. Missed 5 or 6?

Reply #930361 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Last year

He's still missed too many what 7-8 games? That's like 25% of the season. He would need to absolutely destroy the league every game the rest of the way to even be a chance.

Props to him though Alan Williams has been probably the best big in the league until now and JLA handed him his arse, badly.

Reply #930363 | Report this post

AngusH  
Last year

I actually thought Hukporti would damage his chances of MVP, but he's just playing too well to have Hukporti taking too many mins. A bit unfortunate for Hukporti who I think would be having a dominant year of his own if playing on most other teams in the league.

Reply #930364 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Last year

Hukporti's a nice defensive centre but too poor offensively. Good back up though.

Reply #930365 | Report this post

Tomdelonge2  
Last year

Hows the MVP voting work this season?

Reply #930367 | Report this post

Tomdelonge2  
Last year

Missed the first 5 ?

Played last 6 by my calculations

Reply #930368 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Last year

Okay fair enough he only missed the first 5 games but he probably couldn't afford to miss any more games this season to be a legit MVP chance.

Reply #930369 | Report this post

Tomdelonge2  
Last year

Agree. Keeps playing like this and its hard to ignore

Reply #930370 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Last year

I see moller got the SEM player of the game. He's a very good allrounder, my sort of player, they just play for the team.

Too bad he's wasted on SEM though and again not recognised by the contenders.

Reply #930395 | Report this post

LV  
Last year

Hukporti was probably the #1 NBL Centre at the time JLA returned, based purely on the early part of this season. Now he's been relegated to limited minutes with JLA dominating. Am embarrassment of riches for United and they complement each other well

Reply #930400 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:33 pm, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754