Zodiac
Last year

36ers not signing third import

Olgun has said on Overtime the Sixers have decided they won't be signing a third import this season. The decision was made before the win over SEM.

https://twitter.com/NBL/status/1726891428242964923?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Etweet

They're still paying Franklin too.

Topic #51605 | Report this topic

Master Chief  
Last year

I guess they have it up their sleeve for an injury, but don't like how much pressure this puts on Humphries.

Two questions. Why is Franklin being paid for a full season? And if that is the case, why wouldn't you just keep him on the roster?

Reply #930942 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Last year

Franklin supposedly had the first few months of his contract guaranteed, to the tune of $200K USD too. Great signing that.

I made that same comment at the time if we had to keep paying him we never should've removed him from the roster, even if we bring him off of the bench, get something out of him or even to piss him off and hope he walks out on his contract it's better than this stupid situation.

Reply #930944 | Report this post

sunnycoast  
Last year

He must have done something to upset coaching staff would be my guess during the blitz in that last game things looked really tense with him and coach but he was interacting fine with players? Would have helped having a shooter before we got DJ especially if he was still being payed

Reply #930947 | Report this post

hoopie  
Last year

Could insurance be a factor ito if Franklin was played and got injured when they didn't really want him anyway???

Reply #930948 | Report this post

AngusH  
Last year

DJ would probably be on import-esque money so I don't think it's particularly surprising. The whole Franklin saga on the other hand is just another bizarre chapter in Adelaide's recent history.

Reply #930953 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Last year

I doubt Vasiljevic would be on all that much he was in desperate need of a contract/opportunity, the thing is the club said they still intended to sign a third import after DJV's signing.

Reply #930955 | Report this post

Q Anon  
Last year

@hoopie There is no insurance for pro athletes - premiums are un-economic

Reply #930960 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last year

DJV would be on excellent money, nowhere to go, lol, any number of quality euro clubs would have had him.

Reply #930963 | Report this post

koberulz  
Last year

There's no such thing as "import money". Hasn't been for years.

Reply #930966 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Last year

any number of quality euro clubs would have had him.

He said the reason he signed with the 36ers was to showcase himself to get a good Euro contract next season, so obviously not.

Reply #930967 | Report this post

a5ian nbl fan  
Last year

franklin left asia ( would be on comfortable money ) to Adelaide who seemed to be paid out well now if franklin had found another club when being cut he wouldn't be paid out

Reply #930973 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Last year

Still paying Franklin probably stretches the budget too much even for GK.

You've got.

4K McCarron - Big Money
DJV - Marquee level money.

Humphries - Above average.
Dech - Above average.
Wiley - Above average.
Kell - Above average.

Either this is the fake of the season and they are trying for impact player with the minimum games to play (and pay) him or we are happy with sitting outside 6th, at best hitting 6th.

Reply #930981 | Report this post

AngusH  
Last year

"There's no such thing as "import money". Hasn't been for years."

I hope you were still able to understand my post even with my use of such archaic language.

Reply #930986 | Report this post

KET  
Last year

Mistake, I guess we will have to enjoy another season of missing the finals.

Also apparently CJ is getting a coaching extension!

Reply #931030 | Report this post

LaPark  
Last year

@KET

No way! They can't possibly justify giving CJ an extension? Unless he's managed to con them that once they get rid of some of those big deals they signed previously they can put together a team that can contend? I think after this year we've only got Nick Marshall, Sunday Dech and Jason Cadee signed with options for Wiley and Flowers. We probably paid Dech more than he's worth, and i'm sure Wiley and Flowers will opt out, so there's flexibility there to really re-work the team.

With all that being said, I just get the feeling CJ's not that popular with the players (Could be completely wrong there) and doesn't seem to be able to get the best out of what he gets, so I don't think it really matters what talent you give him, he won't be able to maximize it.

Reply #931035 | Report this post

Q Anon  
Last year

Couldn't say there is a single player that thinks they are being coached well and that they are enjoying their time in Adelaide.

Reply #931046 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Last year

Vasiljevic would be loving it.

Reply #931047 | Report this post

Master Chief  
Last year

Q Anon, you say that, and it might well be true, but the why did Humphries return knowing what he must know having played under CJ already? Cadee came over too.

My own observations are that the players respect CJ as an individual but know he can't coach at this level, and that is an awkward position. It's not like CJ is a hard ass or anything, so players are probably just seeing it as a job to get through while CJ is there. It is just a nothing scenario and would be a great deal easier if the culture from losing was more toxic, making positions untenable. It seems like many players are just fed up with doing the same thing over and over, and are exhausted by that.

No way CJ gets an extension!

Reply #931051 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Last year

I don't think it's any coincidence that as hapless as CJ looked the past two seasons this season the team is playing with some sort of structure and purpose with a dominant assistant coach in Craig Simpson now there. If either of those two is getting the HC job next season I would imagine it would be Simpson.

I highly doubt the club is considering giving CJ an extension that rumour has come from Rucker who is likely a buddy of CJ. If Olgun or another reporter says it that would be a bit different.

Reply #931059 | Report this post

Master Chief  
Last year

Zodiac, I wouldn't be so sure, lol. This club is capable of anything after what is supposedly happening with Franklin.

Reply #931063 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Last year

That's true but assuming there is even any validity whatsoever to that Rucker statement why do it now, why not wait to see how the next 2/3 of the season go? CJ is going to be out of contract at the end of the season anyway, re-sign him then if need be, it's unlikely there is going to be competition for his signature.

Reply #931068 | Report this post

Q Anon  
Last year

CJ isn't getting an extension, Rucker is guessing or just creating conversation.

@zodiac Humphries wasn't offered much elsewhere due to his known injury history. When he signed, the roster was looking very different so maybe he was willing to play for a winner on paper. I cant say anything specifically as to why he chose to come back.

When he signed, the 36ers still had AC and Franks with the promise of a game changer point guard to come.

Cadee followed CJ after their Brisbane connection. Brisbane dont seem to be as disrupted this season, interesting.

Reply #931070 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Last year

QAnon, I don't believe I've said anything about Humphries? I've got no doubt he would be on a lot less than last time, he's showcasing himself on a crap team for his next contract like DJV. United weren't interested in re-signing him.

Reply #931075 | Report this post

Q Anon  
Last year

Sorry @zodiac meant to address the 931051 comment by Master Chief asking about Isaac returning.

Reply #931085 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last month

Overtime saying Creek won't be at SEM next season, Santa saying he’s contracted. He’s a bit like Luka, great player but teams don’t win. SEM also bringing new performance manager. Creek playing in China at present, I get the feeling he probably chasing the big bucks. Be interesting to see how this plays out.

Reply #938083 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last month

I this was an overtime forum page, did not realise it was for Sixers.

Reply #938084 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:35 am, Sun 28 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754