DennisRodmansHair
Last year

Perth Wildcats to Retire Damien Martin's Jersey #53

Massive shoutout to one of the greats of Australian Basketball, Damien Martin aka the Human Padlock. Well deserved to get his #53 jersey hung up in the rafters.

He joins Ricky Grace (15), Andrew Vlahov (21), James Crawford (7), Scott Fisher (30), Mike Ellis (6), Shawn Redhage (42) and Scott Fenton (14).

Honour Roll
6x NBL champion (2010, 2014, 2016, 2017, 2019, 2020)
6x NBL Best Defensive Player (2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2018)
1x Larry Sengstock Medal (2016)
All-NBL First Team (2011)
All-NBL Second Team (2013, 2014)
All-NBL Third Team (2012)
Commonwealth Games gold medal (2018)
Olympic representative (2016)
Wildcats captain (2012-2020)

Topic #51606 | Report this topic

Gazee  
Last year

Extremely well deserved , congratulations Damien Martin

Reply #930951 | Report this post

TrevorTorrance  
Last year

Congrats Damo! Well deserved. Club legend.

Reply #930952 | Report this post

S1L3NC3R83  
Last year

Probably should have had 7 or 8. :D

Adam Gibson for South won in 2008/2009 with 1spg and 3.2rpg (2.3 defensive) over 33 games.
Damo for West Sydney/Sydney Spirit had 1.9spg and 5.4rpg (3.1 defensive) over 22 games.
I remember conversations with Stumps, Nerf Herder and Cesar, possibly the only people still attending Sydney games (too soon? :D) about just how incredible this guy was. I didn't truly understand until I had the opportunity to see him on a regular basis.

Dillon Boucher for NZB won in 2009/2010 with 1.3spg, 0.4bpg and 5.2rpg (2.6 defensive) over 28 games.
Damo for Perth had 1.6spg, 0.3bpg and 4.6rpg (2.9 defensive) over 33 games when Perth won the championship that season. I especially remember this one as it was Damo's first season in Perth and we as fans were livid.

Hard to argue against Kevin Lisch and Torrey Craig in the years they broke his streak. By the time Bogut won his Damo was on the decline, so that was fair even if it did feel like the league pandering to his ego. XD

On the other side his 2017/2018 win was probably the sentimental one to get him the record. Tokoto, Kay (for ILL) and Prather (for MU) all had strong cases to feel robbed based on statistics.

Reply #930957 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Last year

Is there anyone else that would have their number retired?

Greg Hire?
Jesse Wagstaff?
Bryce Cotton (based on current tenure)?

Reply #930980 | Report this post

koberulz  
Last year

Wagstaff is a lock, eventually. Hire isn't even first in line for a retired Wildcats #4.

Reply #930984 | Report this post

Gus3232  
Last year

Was giving this some thought recently. I think Paul Rogers should be seriously considered as he was the first Wildcat to win the league MVP.

Reply #930987 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Last year

Shout out to Damo's U14 team as well for not being excluded from participating in junior competition otherwise he may have never developed into a NBL champion and perennial DPoY winner.

Reply #931013 | Report this post

Groote  
Last year

It's been discussed at length in other forums, but it is borderline criminal that the Cats have never retired #55. An entire generation in this state love the sport and that team because of how much he changed the basketball landscape in WA. Based on direct conversations with those in the know - the Ellis family and to a lesser extent Vlahov are the main reasons it has never happened and will never happen if they have anything to do with it. Pretty poor form indeed

Reply #931016 | Report this post

koberulz  
Last year

If it weren't for Bob Williams, Bruton would be an irrelevancy. He played three seasons, that's it.

The new hall of fame thing is far more appropriate than a jersey retirement.

Reply #931017 | Report this post

Bws1blood  
Last year

Bruton number should be retired before Rogers

Outside of his playing days , the fact he brought the team 3 corner stone players

2 half of Hame one Hall of shame , his son , our first championship .

Literally hall marked a style of play which put bums on seats,drew revenue and set up the club

His self marketing/marketing of the club / players brought awareness to this organisation X sport, in a town at the time which was football crazy

The disrespect cal has received from this organisation is amazing and literally embarrasin

Rogers was a 1 and done , never did shxt after that first year

Cal has received more respect every where else but Perth , interesting enough imnsiorised he never got a job or role as a commentator that man can talk his ass off

Reply #931126 | Report this post

SonicBoomer  
Last year

I've been watching too much cricket lately. I spent too long trying to remember what right-handed middle-order batsman Damien Martyn's jersey number was.....

Reply #931148 | Report this post

Yup  
Last year

Greg Hire is a lock

Reply #931249 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Last year

I was waiting for you. Better late than never.

Reply #931255 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:48 am, Sun 28 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754