+
Last year

Junior player development

Hi after some opinions on what sort of weightings clubs / coaches / JDOs consider with junior development -

i.e.
athleticism 20%
height 5%
current skills 15%
potential skills 20%
coachable 20%
work ethic 20%

defence, current scoring record etc.

I also feel this changes with age groups - younger groups more potential rather than evidence and height changes considerably.

Topic #51629 | Report this topic

+  
Last year

and attendance at trainings ?

Reply #931696 | Report this post

sixtiesrockstar  
Last year

speed & height 99%
defence haha
attendance at trainings haha

Reply #931697 | Report this post

Reggie  
Last year

More and more coaches interested in only winning now and development goes out the window. Poach players and picking tall fast football types the go unfortunately.

Height and speed the only real attributes I have seen valued unfortunately

Reply #931704 | Report this post

+  
Last year

agree Reggie - seeing coaches blindly pick players that will go coast to coast trying to lay it up - score 10 -14 ppg but put up 40 shot attempts.
And what ever happened to training attendance ? our club has way dropped their standards - "got another sport / something else to do" etc and they persist in picking these players and wonder why program stays mediocre.

Reply #931711 | Report this post

McBlurter  
Last year

Noticed this myself.

Picked up a div 1 rep player this year.

OK height, strong and athletic. He can drive to the hoop with little space and get up off the ground with good core control for a relatively controlled shot. So he will fill up the scoreboard that way, not terribly efficient though..

Can't be coached to improve other than what he teaches himself. (which seems to be NBA highlight reels)
Worst attendance for training.
Sags behind the free throw line on defence, allowing squared hips.
Low hustle on the boards.
Attitude is rubbing off and starting to see poor attitude on other players.

He's not selfish, will pass off for good shots, but under his structure, not the structure the team is coached for.

Best improvement this season has been amongst the players who are coachable. 2 of last 3 weeks have seen best team performance when this Div 1 player is on the bench.

But the association is investing in this type of player.

Reply #931715 | Report this post

Knowall  
Last year

Having been involved in a number of development roles over the last 40 years the number one requirement for me is the ears and how they use them. Meaning, do you just hear me or are you listening.
That then brings up attitude, is the players attitude worth catching.
Cause if they listers and have the right attitude we can then help with their development.
Athleticism and fundamentals next, (meaning in the PC world not physically disadvantaged - weight lack of height unable or unwilling to sprint)
And have they put in any extra work on their own development.
Height would then come into play if players are equal.

Reply #931720 | Report this post

TRFC  
Last year

If you have a boy or girl that is 99percentile, height wise in u14 /u16 and works on and shows shooting and ball handling potential, but at school/reps is pigeon holed into setting screens rebounding as no other talls in team. If they stop growing tomorrow they may only play the 3 or4.what would you do.

Reply #931726 | Report this post

McBlurter  
Last year

"If they stop growing tomorrow they may only play the 3 or4.what would you do."

First, play the role to begin with for that season. This commitment shows a lot more about him or her as player than anything else. The fact we have bottom age/top age across rep teams means roles can change quickly anyway, so don't consign yourself to this being enduring/

Then have the player, not the parent, approach the coach and say they are keen to explore other things, and how this can fit within the role of the team. It may be garbage time, it may be a roster mix up to take advantage of certain match ups.

I always used to marvel at Shawn Kemp and Scottie Pippen. You could always tell they were short for a long time, then had massive growth spurts.

For what is, or may be, an ultimately 'short' player, there is no harm in learning how to utilise your body to resist opposition players in the post, or how to use your body for effective rebounding positioning.. just as there is always benefit to shoot and dribble.

School stuff I wouldn't be too fussed with, but if a barrier at rep level, you could argue they may have to move to find their role if it never changes, rather than accept whatever role the coach gives you.

Reply #931728 | Report this post

Esky68  
Last year

Anyone U18 and below that is above 195cm and isn't completely uncoordinated is getting a Div 1/2 look, and there is nothing you can do about that

Training attendance seems to have fallen significantly after the pandemic. People just cannot be bothered to work on their game anymore

Reply #931735 | Report this post

Cake  
Last year

If training attendance has fallen post-pandemic, that may be a function of kids and parents realising how much better-utilised that time can be in terms of individual development. By which I mean that I think the emphasis in team training sessions, especially at rep level, is on team structures and drills that don't maximise fundamentall skill development. Knowing and being able to play within a team structure is absolutely important, but on my observation, most rep programs don't get this balance right for *long-term* athlete development. An u14 team that plays together really well, knows their sets backwards and forwards, and has a quality press of some type will be successful even if the individual skills of the players aren't great. But if those kids don't develop individual skills to match it with standouts at other clubs, they will struggle to get picked in State teams and progress through the elite pathways. So the club is successful, but the potential of the individual players might not be realised.

That doesn't mean I disagree with the structure focus. Given that most kids aren't going to be elite basketballers anyway, the majority may get more benefit from learning how to be a good teammate. But if kids with genuine pro potential choose to skip team trainings sometimes in order to orient their workload towards more individual skill development, that seems rational enough to me.

Reply #931736 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:44 pm, Sun 28 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754