Isaac
Last year

Beast Mode Alert: Dante Exum as a Dallas starter

Good string of games for Dante Exum.

Currently has 26/4/3 with under a minute to play against the Lakers. 17 points in the fourth quarter.

Last two games were 16/4/6 against Memphis and 23/6/7 against Portland.

All wins, and Dallas are third in the West.

Josh Green might need to earn his minutes back at this rate.

Topic #51651 | Report this topic

Yup  
Last year

Exum has matured! Nice pick up for Dallas

Reply #932378 | Report this post

Surely Dante deserves a beast mode heading.

Reply #932380 | Report this post

Isaac  
Last year

OK, beast mode added.

Reply #932381 | Report this post

Just following Hoops tradition. Great to see him healthy and contributing.

Reply #932384 | Report this post

orbit  
Last year

Fantastic Dante!!

Reply #932385 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Last year

Beast Mode tag warranted

Reply #932388 | Report this post

BALLER#3  
Last year

He has slowly been coming along all season, and every time he is on the court the team looks great, even when he isn't scoring. His ability to do a little bit of everything is super important.

Luka has trouble trusting some players to handle the ball, but he has been more than happy to hand off to Exum with full trust which is great to see.

Just plays so smart at all time. I think he settles into a 25 minute bench role as 6/7 man with Hardaway long term which will cost Green I think. Especially given Green has been fairly average all season so far.

Reply #932389 | Report this post

Ben  
Last year

@Isaac - honestly disappointed in you for not originally adding the BEAST MODE tag. Shame shame shame.

Reply #932390 | Report this post

Isaac  
Last year

I started the thread before that final three. That really pushed things into Beast Mode territory.

Reply #932391 | Report this post

AussiePride  
Last year

Great to see him getting the opportunity and he is delivering!

Reply #932392 | Report this post

MaxM  
Last year

Definitely puts him in the frame for a starting 5 role with the Boomers imo

Reply #932397 | Report this post

AussiePride  
Last year

@MaxM Probably consolidates this. He is ahead of Mills and Ingles if he stays healthy.

Reply #932399 | Report this post

Shaggy  
Last year

Go you good thing! Even got a hug from Mavs owner yesterday too. Am loving the confidence to take those shots. Great defence but really did get bullied by LeBron yesterday in parts.

Am hoping he hangs on to that SF position for the remainder of the season withcthe Mavs. He'd be in my Boomers starting 5 with Simmons (if healthy) , Green, Landale, and Reath - the later 3 all with decent 3 point confidence

Reply #932410 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Last year

Phew, the best thing about this is we can get rid of Giddey as a starter.

Reply #932418 | Report this post

McBlurter  
Last year

Why would there be an imperative to 'get rid of Giddey'?

Reply #932420 | Report this post

hoopie  
Last year

McB

He held the ball too long and seemed to look for TikTok passes rather than just move the ball down the court quickly to take advantage of our athleticism. He also seemed reluctant to put up shots when left open.
We had so much athleticism and rarely used it, forcing us into too much half-court play.

Look back through the previous threads on the topic.

Reply #932422 | Report this post

Isaac  
Last year

seemed reluctant to put up shots when left open
Isn't that reasonable behaviour if you're in there as a distributor and not a great shooter? I think "TikTok passes" is unnecessary, probably more that his limitations as a shooter made him less effective. It didn't look like he was showboating to me.

Meanwhile Ingles was reluctant to shoot yet has a history as a great outside shooter.

Reply #932428 | Report this post

McBlurter  
Last year

So in his first ever tournament, he didn't go to Tokyo, he played somewhat underwhelming, and it's time to throw the baby out with the bathwater?

"He held the ball too long and seemed to look for TikTok passes rather than just move the ball down the court quickly to take advantage of our athleticism. He also seemed reluctant to put up shots when left open."

For whom I regard to be every credible critic, it was more around
i) Coaching and rotations
ii) Mills being a black hole while attempting to shoot himself into form
iii) Not enough big men, made worse by Landale's injury.

"We had so much athleticism and rarely used it, forcing us into too much half-court play."

yes, Mills was sucking it in. Virtually every single fast break pay occured when Mills was off the court.

"Look back through the previous threads on the topic"

I did, and I can tell who knows basketball, and I can tell who watches gatorade ads.

Reply #932429 | Report this post

hoopie  
Last year

Fair points, guys (except for the Gatorade bit) but I still think he held the ball too long for what we needed from him, and sometimes tried to do too much iso.

I definitely had issues with the coaching and think Goorj is no longer up to it.

Reply #932434 | Report this post

AussiePride  
Last year

As now a strong basketball nation we now play guys who are in form rather than play them because they showed form years ago. We put on our big boy pants and make some tough decisions. We love Patty and Ingles but they now have to move to role players at probably 10 mins a game maximum. Landale, Cooks Green, Exum, Reath and Giddey are our core. We have to have a place for Daniels with a couple of the younger guys like Toohey and Procter. Is there a place for Goulding? I say yes but not point if Goorian is coaching and not prepared to give him a run.

Goorjian has to go. He cannot coach at FIBA level. He just stood and watched Lemanis's system get us to Bronze in Tokyo and our team play at the Worlds showed that the system is forgotten. If we stay with Goorjian it is just going to be full on ISO plays. Not sure who can take over but I am sure there a couple of guys that are capable.

Reply #932447 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last year

Magnay is the best fiba basketball style five man. You need inside presence to win in fiba style game. While Reath has been in great form in the nba, defending is not his strong point.

Reply #932449 | Report this post

Now only 1 or 2 veterans should be selected. I like Mills, Ingles, Goulding, and Delly, but now it's time for the younger players.

Reply #932452 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Last year

but I still think he held the ball too long for what we needed from him, and sometimes tried to do too much iso.

I definitely had issues with the coaching and think Goorj is no longer up to it.

No doubt about it.

All indications are that Goorjian will be back (shame on you BA) with the old brigade of players.

If nothing changes I prefer Exum over Giddey as a starter which is possible now due to his performances because NBA stature counts in the Boomers pecking order.

Reply #932454 | Report this post

Yup  
Last year

Mills has only played 2 games this season, can kinda see him moving to the bench in a Spurs Patty type of role.

Griddey
Exum
Green
Reath
Landale

I'm intrigued with this lineup!

Reply #932460 | Report this post

Isaac  
Last year

Exum has continued his great stretch of play, starting against Portland on Dec 9th:

23/6/7
16/4/6
26/4/3
14/4/4
18/2/3

His only weaker game as a starter was the first one, and even 5/6/7 behind Doncic and Kyrie isn't that bad. Exum is averaging 18/4/5 in December so far.

Reply #932662 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:18 pm, Sun 28 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754