Fri 7:00 - Sydney vs Bendigo

Sat 3:30 - Perth vs Southside
Sat 7:30 - Townsville vs Melbourne

All Times Local

WNBL Round 8 Preview

Topic #51666 | Report this topic

+  
Last year

Caps last chance to avoid finishing bottom place ?

Reply #932703 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Last year

@UCCapitals

* VENUE CHANGE *

Due to a power failure of the main switchboard at the NCCC, tonight's game against Adelaide Lightning is being moved! The game will now be held at the Collegians Centre at Radford College!

Reply #932717 | Report this post

Footloose  
Last year

Melbourne gonna carry them to win #2 by the looks

Reply #932734 | Report this post

JD14  
Last year

Melbourne is an absolute star of this competition.

Reply #932735 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Last year

She's certainly having a good December. If this is the new normal for her that would be great.

Reply #932736 | Report this post

Footloose  
Last year

Has to make the trip to Brazil

Reply #932737 | Report this post

Frogface19  
Last year

Is Nat Hurst safe ? Record isn't impressive

Reply #932738 | Report this post

JD14  
Last year

Good point frogface.

Reply #932747 | Report this post

finals 995  
Last year

When Talbot returns everything changes.

Melbourne's meteoric rise really is something to behold! Opals, with her and Reid make our qualification chances look very solid.

Reply #932751 | Report this post

Blues67  
Last year

Melbourne is an absolute star, has it all plus size at the PG position. A year with Seattle, training with and against Jewel Lloyd has really pushed her game to the next level.

Reid definitely deserves the chance to prove herself against top tier international teams but with Melbourne, Whitcomb and Wallace (if fit) we all of a sudden looked stacked at the point guard position.

It wasn't that long ago that Rocci and Heal were the next guards to lead the Opals but imo are now 4th/5th in line.

Reply #932756 | Report this post

LC  
Last year

I doubt Wallace will be ready for OQT. Has yet to play a game, and judging from the interview on the coverage of their most recent game, there is still firm timelines for her return.

I think Reid deserves a crack too, and with Melbourne there, Sami could play more 2 than the 1.

Reply #932757 | Report this post

Footloose  
Last year

Reid has struggled when given an opportunity, even against the Asian teams which she seems ideally suited to playing against. Heal (as much as I hate to admit it) was better in the last tournament, as was Rocci, Reid was coming off an injury though.

Reply #932760 | Report this post

Frogface19  
Last year

Finals 995- agree Talbot is a gun but we had her all last year!

Reply #932762 | Report this post

finals 995  
Last year

Yes, that's true and about half way through the season she began to look just as fatigued in trying to be the scoring focus as Borlase is beginning to look now.

I think Talbot's presence will instantly give more space and latitude for Borlase, Willoughby, Bourne etc to shine while key opposition defenders will have their hands full trying to contain Steph.

Reply #932771 | Report this post

Moose 95  
Last year

The Nat & Mat show needs to go. Last year it was Talbot centric, this year it is Borlaise centric. Very little team structure and offence revolves around one player going one on five or holding the ball for 12 of 14 second front court offence.
Talbot coming in will struggle to see ball on current structure.Or vice versa
Borlaise will drop off if offence reverts to Talbot centric. No wonder likes of Willoughby, Mansfield etc are struggling, nothing assisting their strength.
AND dont start me of defensive rules OMG, is there any . Is there any in game adjustments.

Reply #932782 | Report this post

JD14  
Last year

Georgie and Froling went at it tonight phyiscally in a strong battle. I thought tomights game was the best refereed all season. They let the players pay and enable phyiscality, was great to see.

Reply #932783 | Report this post

JD14  
Last year

KKeerema record at the spirit not amazing either.

Reply #932786 | Report this post

Footloose  
Last year

Mansfield has been great over the last month, from what I've seen. Looks like Flames have hit their stride which is good for the competition

Reply #932790 | Report this post

+  
Last year

disagree Moose - 2 very good basketball people there. Lightning just need some confidence and big time local support - yes their results are at a low at present. We have one of the top WNBA players as well. The junior players need to grow a bit more into the adult game - that is clear. How close is talbot to returning ?

Reply #932795 | Report this post

Cool Howie  
Last year

Kereama was a poor appointment. Give me Alabakov any day.

Reply #932800 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Last year

I never understood the KK appointment either. SEN seem to have been phoning it in when it comes to their WNBL team.

Reply #932802 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Last year

Hopefully Bendigo do not exist for much longer. Would draw 5 times the crowd in Tassie.

Reply #932803 | Report this post

+  
Last year

weedy or luuc - where are the aussies currently sitting in mock drafts ? I can't find anything recent.

Reply #932805 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Last year

Each mock is different.
Amoore, Puoch, Borlase and Shelley are in most.

Amoore 5-14
Puoch 6-18
Borlase 12-36
Shelley 22-36

Reply #932807 | Report this post

Footloose  
Last year

Hopefully Bendigo do not exist for much longer. Would draw 5 times the crowd in Tassie.

Is this a genuine possibility Weedy or just wishful thinking?

Reply #932808 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Last year

Both.

Hutchie still struggling with his business which includes the Spirit.
Kestleman waiting in the wings to takeover the wnbl.

Reply #932809 | Report this post

DMc  
Last year

Pretty sure when SEN bought Spirit it was part of the agreement that it would stay in Bendigo for x number of years (maybe 8 or 10 from memory?).
So I suspect they're just spending the bare minimum and biding their time waiting for when they can move to a more desirable/lucrative market.

Reply #932811 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Last year

It was for ten years but SEN will go under before then.

Reply #932813 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Last year

Always a pleasure to defeat sooky southside

Reply #932823 | Report this post

SamCro  
Last year

Absolutely Luuuc! Sooky Southside, I Like It...

Reply #932851 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:41 pm, Mon 29 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754