MaxM
Last year

Casey Prather signs with Brisbane

2 year deal. Next year mutual option.

Coming off 2 successive season ending knee injuries.

Could this change their dragon? Are the bullets contenders now?

Topic #51671 | Report this topic

MaxM  
Last year

Oops change their season**

Reply #932723 | Report this post

Another Anon  
Last year

Back in the day would be a season changer but not sure now. A lot less shots for Sobey now.

Reply #932725 | Report this post

Cool Howie  
Last year

Oh sh1t! This team hits different now.

Reply #932726 | Report this post

MaxM  
Last year

A lot less shots for sobey could be what they need imo

Reply #932727 | Report this post

Yup  
Last year

Santa hypothesized Prather on yesterdays pod.

Is it safe to assume they wouldn't sign him if he's not fit?

If he's anything like what we've seen of him before then maybe they overtake SEM depending on Nader's impact.

Not sure this puts them ahead of Perth...

Reply #932728 | Report this post

MaxM  
Last year

I'm sure he's fit, but same as Nader, if a guy hasn't played for 2 years, he's probably not gonna be in best form.

Reply #932730 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last year

Short of match practice, he's replacing a four, I’m not convinced he or Nader are going to be match or team result changes. Good luck to both and good luck to Brisbane and SEM having a go.

Reply #932732 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Last year

Has your Crypto life come crashing down? Return to the NBL, which pays in actual dollars!

Reply #932733 | Report this post

Ben  
Last year

Being honest, typical Brisbane move that ultimately won't change the team’s fortunes.

Dude hasn’t played in two years. He certainly wouldn’t be commanding the $$$ he once did. With 2/3 of the season remaining, he would be relatively cheap - Brisbane rubbing their hands. Let’s not expect title-winning Prather here, the Bullets are getting a middling vet who knows the league at this point.

Don’t know what fuck has happened to Shannon Scott, but dude has turned in to a pumpkin. Prime opportunity was here to get their season back on track and nab a legit point guard who could set up the team and also get his own when needed. (A glaring need btw since re entry in to the league)

Seems like hopes are pinned on Scott to climb out of his funk, with Prather swinging between 3-4 spots.

I’m curious as to how Brisbane could sign another import in the first place. I heard something to the effect that the Bullets relinquished a marquee spot, is this correct? Does this mean the league effectively said "Yeah, Baynes ain’t a marquee no more"?

Reply #932740 | Report this post

Anonymightymouse  
Last year

It's up to clubs to decide whether they use marquee spots to save them money, and they can remove that status too if they chose to.

Reply #932741 | Report this post

Ben  
Last year

Ok. What's the point/benefit of having marquee spots at all if clubs can choose to designate and remove from players on their own call? Genuine question.

Reply #932743 | Report this post

Anonymightymouse  
Last year

The benefit to clubs is marquee players have a set $$ value against the cap, so even if they're being paid $500K or $1 million only a portion of that counts against the cap and contributes towards the luxury tax.

It's to save clubs money and encourage them to sign more top-end talent, to cut a long story short.

Reply #932744 | Report this post

Andrew  
Last year

Prather is fresh off a season in Isreal with Hapoel Eilat where he was named MVP of the league, averaging 22.5 points, 5.8 rebounds and 2.9 assists per game.

Reply #932748 | Report this post

MaxM  
Last year

That was 2 years ago in the 2020/21 season

Reply #932749 | Report this post

BeeGee  
Last year

@Ben

"I'm curious as to how Brisbane could sign another import in the first place. I heard something to the effect that the Bullets relinquished a marquee spot, is this correct? Does this mean the league effectively said "Yeah, Baynes ain’t a marquee no more"?"

I'm pretty sure DJ Mitchell is out for the rest of the season with a knee(?) injury.

Reply #932772 | Report this post

Ben  
Last year

Understood that m8 but DJ is obvs not an import, hence the ask.

Reply #932773 | Report this post

Statman84  
Last year

They remove Baynes (most likely) or Sobey's marquee status to allow Prather to be signed.

Teams can have a total of 4 imports and marquees. So having 3 imports mean we can only have 1 marquee.

It is only for tax purposes, Baynes and Sobey will still be paid the same as they always were.

Reply #932775 | Report this post

BeeGee  
Last year

@Ben

My bad, I thought he was an import? Very interesting then!

Reply #932777 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Last year

He's an American but was born in Melbourne.

Reply #932789 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:56 pm, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754