Boomer
Last year

BWA State Champs

Went down to the final weekend of the BWA State Champs to check out the level of competition and thought it was fantastic.

I was particularly impressed with some of the young talent in the u13 boys. We have a lot to be excited about in the coming years.

The other observation that was clear was just how many people were there watching and supporting. It was fantastic to see.

Basketball is booming again in WA!

Topic #51673 | Report this topic

Another Anon  
Last year

My boys don't play basketball but play Aussie Rules and there is serious concern in the WAFC about the loss of talent to basketball at the moment.
It seems to be happening in the 12-16 age range where they're choosing bball over AFL. One club in my area has lost over 50% of their teams due to lack of numbers in that range.

Reply #932768 | Report this post

Another Anon  
Last year

For girls, there was a big jump in AFL numbers a few seasons ago when the AFLW was launched but that has also plateaued significantly with numbers starting to drop after the honeymoon period.

I don't have daughters so not sure if they're going to bball but I think the trend is definitely happening across the board.

Reply #932769 | Report this post

Aussie  
Last year

Great to hear from someone who isn't a footy fan but loves basketball.

For anyone in Sydney, have junior participation rates increased there with the success of the Sydney Kings over the last couple of years and the popularity of the NBA?

Reply #932778 | Report this post

+  
Last year

good observation another anon - once many have got past the marketing hype and initial shine the demands on the female body , playing conditions and concussion issues have made some second think it all. I have reservations about some of these football club mergers with basketball clubs - great the local affiliation and use of facilities - time will tell what the intent is.

Reply #932796 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Last year

My boys don't play basketball but play Aussie Rules and there is serious concern in the WAFC about the loss of talent to basketball at the moment.
It seems to be happening in the 12-16 age range where they're choosing bball over AFL. One club in my area has lost over 50% of their teams due to lack of numbers in that range.

This is music to my ears.

I've been seeing it first hand as well but didn't have any of the stats.

Globalisation at play.

Reply #932801 | Report this post

+  
Last year

a lot of the boys are juggling both - basketball is more popular over summer in the country for fitness and physical co-ordination skills

Reply #932804 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:22 pm, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754