Luuuc
Earlier this year

NBL Champion Pride Round

The NBL will celebrate inclusion and diversity this week during Champion Pride Round.

Inclusion and diversity will be celebrated across the Hungry Jack's NBL during Champion Pride Round beginning this week.
The NBL and Champion, the League’s official on-court apparel partner, will recognise the LGBTQ community by celebrating its strong contributions to the sport and community.
Across Round 16 (January 17 -21), all courts will feature Champion’s Pride Progress flag x 'C’ logo, with players, coaches, and staff having participated in Empowering Allies sessions with Pride in Sport.
The sessions, attended by all available players, helps participants understand what makes a good ally, define their own allyship, and build other important skills.

"Seeing the NBL’s Champion Pride Round thriving and going in to its second year means a lot to me and the LGBTQ+ community," Adelaide 36ers star Isaac Humphries said.
"Apart from, first and foremost, wanting to live a life out of hiding, I came out with the hope of making basketball a safer space for LGBTQ+ people, so I hope we’re a step closer toward all people feeling like they can be themselves in this community.
“Showing support and continued allyship not only for me but the entire community allows coaches, fellow players, owners, administrators, fans, and the media to make a significant difference for the many who still live silently in the closet.
“I’m very proud to play in a league that is willing to publicly celebrate my community and I know we all appreciate seeing some representation in an environment where it hasn't always felt the most welcoming."

“Our League welcomes everyone, and we are determined to create an accessible and safe environment for all to enjoy without fear of discrimination,” NBL CEO, David Stevenson, said.
“The LGBTQ community plays an important role in our sport and wider society. The courage within this community cannot be understated. It is full of great role models, including Isaac Humphries, who has inspired so many.”
Among the various initiatives and activations undertaken by clubs and players, the Perth Wildcats will transform RAC Arena into a ‘Rainbow Jungle’ during Pride Round to celebrate the LGBTQ community like never before.

Full Article on NBL Website

I wonder how many people will be triggered and outraged by the existence of this round this season. Crossing my fingers for a decline.

Topic #51726 | Report this topic

LC  
Earlier this year

Well they got it wrong to start with... it should be LGBTIQA+ not LGBTQ.

That's not as inclusive as the NBL should be...

Reply #934296 | Report this post

Melbourne Boy  
Earlier this year

I'm ok supporting the LGBIQA part, but i just have reservations about alot of the T part, and I can't work out what the + is. So I wouldn't say I'm triggered, but I just can't support the whole thing, I hate how it all gets lumped together.

I wish sport was just kept out of political issues, especially ones that create division.

Reply #934301 | Report this post

BigD  
Earlier this year

Being inclusive isn't political.
It’s a social issue.

Reply #934302 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Earlier this year

I think the way the world is at the moment, the more we can accept all people and just try be respectful and nice to all is a good thing.

Reply #934303 | Report this post

WC95  
Earlier this year

Wonder what the consequences would be for the NBL if they didn't do a pride round? Would they be called out for being silent and unprogressive? Being the NBL, would the general public even care or take notice with anything they do?

And are the NBLs intentions for doing it as well-meaning as they make it out to be? Or does it give them a bit more publicity? I do like how they've taken a strong stance and stuck to it in support, rather than tip toe around the issue.

Reply #934304 | Report this post

AngusH  
Earlier this year

"I wonder how many people will be triggered and outraged by the existence of this round this season. Crossing my fingers for a decline."

According to social media replies it's about what you'd probably expect unfortunately.

Reply #934306 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Earlier this year

I think the way the world is at the moment, the more we can accept all people and just try be respectful and nice to all is a good thing.

I agree. Should a team choose to not wear the required symbols, we in turn should be respectful of their beliefs and preferences.

Reply #934307 | Report this post

JoelMVP  
Earlier this year

The league doesn't need to be doing this. It’s all for show, nobody goes to the basketball thinking about this stuff. They put it in your face.

Reply #934308 | Report this post

koberulz  
Earlier this year

Well they got it wrong to start with... it should be LGBTIQA+ not LGBTQ.
I've never seen the I before the Q. I'm also disappointed QUILTBAG never caught on because it's just unwieldy otherwise.

I'm ok supporting the LGBIQA part, but i just have reservations about alot of the T part,
I, too, like to single people out to suggest they don't deserve to live healthy lives. It's good harmless fun!

Should a team choose to not wear the required symbols, we in turn should be respectful of their beliefs and preferences.
Being a douchecanoe means people will call you a douchecanoe.

Reply #934310 | Report this post

Larry Legend  
Earlier this year

This really is a who the fuck cares type of moment.

Reply #934311 | Report this post

Axel889  
Earlier this year

This is a very recent example of why we still need a Pride round in the NBL, unfortunately...

https://www.espn.com.au/nbl/story/_/id/38429325/nbl-perth-wildcats-corey-webster-trouble-anti-lgbtq+-tweet#

Reply #934312 | Report this post

JoelMVP  
Earlier this year

Axel forcing him to wear a symbol won't stop his inner thoughts. Code of conduct to uphold on social media etc as a player, but that’s about it.

Reply #934313 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Earlier this year

Ignorant/scared people will still have their unfortunate inner thoughts.
I'm guessing part of the plan is to help people understand that there's not as much to be scared of as they might think. So those negative inner thoughts will be a lot less prevalent.

It's a slow process so it takes persistence and patience, but it's clearly worth it when you have people like Isaac Humphries feeling safe enough to come out and live his truth.

Reply #934314 | Report this post

Drexler  
Earlier this year

More inclusivity ultimately means larger audience, more interest and more $ it's a good thing for society and the league. If it's not your bag thats fine too, there is so little focus on it that ignoring it and watching the game won't be a hassle unless you make it one.

Reply #934316 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Earlier this year

I'm outraged there's no Heritage Round.

Reply #934332 | Report this post

Ben  
Earlier this year

I share Perthworld's outrage.

Reply #934345 | Report this post

NBLTigers  
Earlier this year

Still no heritage round, AFL has also done the same and hide it under a rug. Australia does still have certain teams celebrating their history like the Adelaide 36ers did against Melbourne.

But strange they won't do a heritage round.

Reply #934353 | Report this post

NBLTigers  
Earlier this year

Still no heritage round, AFL has also done the same and hide it under a rug. Australia does still have certain teams celebrating their history like the Adelaide 36ers did against Melbourne.

But strange they won't do a heritage round.

Reply #934354 | Report this post

WC95  
Earlier this year

NBLTigers, the league is probably tired of the confusing stance that Melbourne United have with their past and maybe want to distance themselves from it as it only draws controversy.

Plus the lack of authentic looking jerseys seems to be hard to pull off, such as sponsors making it look a little fake. For example, a 1994 Wildcats jersey would work better if there was a huge SWan Gold logo in the centre of it, rather than a mate internet one.

Reply #934357 | Report this post

KeepHoopDreaming  
Earlier this year

There was a heritage/retro round last season? Not sure what you all are on about...

Reply #934358 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Earlier this year

Yes, there was.

Reply #934360 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:04 am, Mon 29 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754