Ratty Mussell
Earlier this year

Is NBL loosening travel calls?

After watching Tyrell Harrison and Isaac White through the season and especially on last Sunday when they got away with some ridiculous travels, are we going down the NBA path of not caring about the rules just to keep the game flowing. we all know there are enough fouls being called but as a purist I think I could score in the post if I was allowed too dance around like that .

Topic #51727 | Report this topic

hoopie  
Earlier this year

I agree with you that travelling is creeping in too much, and others have mentioned carrying the ball while dribbling, flinging the head back at the slightest contact, and dribblers pushing defenders away who are defending closely but legitimately.

Perhaps allowing more is a ref response to frequent criticism that they stop the game too much. I don't think it's a move towards the NBA system or we'd see everyone doing it and getting away with it; it's called too inconsistently at this stage.

It annoys me not so much from a purist rules perspective, but more from a 'penalising good defence' angle. Defenders learn to time their pressure and challenges based on the rhythm of the dribble and the attacker's steps. Inconsistently (!) allowing attackers to avoid good defense must frustrate players and hard-core fans. The casual fan who just watches the flashy stuff and the baskets probably wouldn't realise or give a toss.

Reply #934319 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Earlier this year

Please please do not bring in the gather / zero step to FIBA / NBL.

Seeing Bucks fan cream themselves on how Giannis can run the full court for a dunk with 3 dribbles whilst stating all other fans are just butt hurt they cannot do it is awful.

Reply #934322 | Report this post

BigD  
Earlier this year

Hate to burst your bubble but the gather step has been in FIBA rule books since 2017.

Reply #934323 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Earlier this year

The three second rule also annoys me, some players just never get pinged and others are pinged in a heartbeat.

Reply #934325 | Report this post

hoopie  
Earlier this year

I've often wondered while watching the NBA whether the rules are relaxed a bit for the 'superstars’.

It might be a quietly-informal policy, or it might be due to fear of consequences if you piss off a superstar, but still ... anyone else think that’s what’s happening these days?

Regardless, I hope that doesn’t happen here

Reply #934326 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Earlier this year

Hate to burst your bubble but the gather step has been in FIBA rule books since 2017.

Thank you for correcting me, it doesn't seem like its done in the NBL.

There's small pockets of it I've seen like on the Cotton step back but its nothing like the James Harden type ones.

Reply #934329 | Report this post

NBLTigers  
Earlier this year

Heaps of travelling, it's been bad all season.

Reply #934344 | Report this post

Knockdown3  
Earlier this year

"I've often wondered while watching the NBA whether the rules are relaxed a bit for the 'superstars'"

Have you seen the chat between Rasheed Wallace, Bonzi Wells and formwe ref Tim Donaghy?
It's from 2 years ago, but much of it is currently relevant IMO

https://youtu.be/Yk0dZ-ZsuM0?si=6iutyC0Fx_DDFR_a

Reply #934422 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:27 am, Sun 28 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754