Isaac
Two months ago

NBA Trade Deadline 2024

None of the big moves that were teased for weeks eventuated. Murray stayed put, Wiggins, etc.

GSW gave Joseph to Indiana making a bit of a fizzer for their opportunity.

Philly sent Pat Bev to the Bucks, and got Hield from the Pacers for Korkmaz/etc.

Phoenix got O'Neale from Brooklyn.

Dallas had an interesting deadline, getting PJ Washington (averages 14 and 5) for Grant Williams and Seth Curry. Plus sending out Richaun Holmes for Gafford who averages 11 and 8.

OKC got Hayward.
Raptors got Olynyk.
Detroit got Fontecchio.
Tillman to Boston.
Schroeder swapped with Dinwiddie, effectively.

Knicks were quite active, getting Burks (averaging 13 PPG) and Bogdanovic (20 PPG) from Detroit. Maybe winners of the deadline?

Not much action from teams spoken of constantly in the lead up - Lakers, Bulls, Hawks, etc.

Amongst the frontrunners, Boston quietly improved without giving much out.

Topic #51791 | Report this topic

Cram  
Two months ago

I like what the Knicks did. Got some extra depth without giving much at all - basically just Grimes who was unhappy in his role and wanted out anyways.

With OG Anunoby likely now out for an extended time, Bojan will help stretch the floor and provide extra scoring help for Brunson. Burks is the kind of guy that can get hot and change a game.

Portland hold on to their vets? Brogdan? Really? Why?

As a Raptors fan I have ZERO idea what they're doing. Basically salary dump of Schroder and Thad Young who I thought would each get back at least a second round pick from a contender. And then giving up a pick for Olenyk and agbaji when we should be sellers? Whats going on? Couldnt find a taker for Brown?

All I can think is that they're looking to tank this season to ensure we keep our pick but then hit free agency and bounce back next season but who are even the FA's worth going after? Perplexing.

Buy out market might be more interesting than trades. Dinwiddie will have every team wanting him, but only those teams under the apron will be able to sign him. Lowry probably ends up in Philly.

Some lower level guys like Joseph and House will catch on somewhere too.

Reply #935773 | Report this post

Isaac  
Two months ago

Nets fans seemed pretty sick of Dinwiddie.

I was surprised that Olynyk ended up with Toronto. Thought for sure he'd be more useful to a contender, and other teams would've been in a better position to offer more? I think your guess has to be right - try to rebuild in a season.

What are Utah trying to do then?

Reply #935777 | Report this post

Cram  
Two months ago

I get the feeling the Jazz ownership don't like the tank approach (fair play) so are trying to field a competitive team while still amassing picks and prospects. Problem is all those picks will end up mid level so less likely to hit the jackpot and become a contender. Would be better off moving off of guys like Lauri, Sexton and Clarkson to try to get a younger guy or two still wit star potential who would fit with the incoming youngsters a bit better.

Reply #935780 | Report this post

LaPark  
Two months ago

A large part of why Utah got rid of Fontecchio and Olynk is because they're both FA's at the end of the season and they don't want to be locked in on their deals long-term given where they're projecting themselves to be.

Basically they're looking for home runs at the moment, so they're whittling off pieces that they don't want to keep long-term for assets to either draft/trade for top tier guys. Part of moving Ochai and Olynk is to open up some more time for Hendricks, but a lot of it is basically them wanting to lock in their guy at each position at the moment and if you aren't projecting as a high-level starting player there then you're expendable. With the amount of assets they do have, they basically see it as we concentrate on the stars, then you can use the remaining assets to fill out the rotation (either draft or trade for vets) once that core is locked in. I'm guessing it's like Ainge wanting a "Big 3", so he has one piece in Lauri, now he's collecting assets to get the other two (they also rate guys like George and Hendricks enough to see them potentially in here too).

It's why good vets in Bojan and Conley were moved last year, it's why younger players like Vando, NAW and Beasley were moved too (and I'm a huge Vando fan). They didn't project to be at that level Ainge is looking for or to be able to play long enough to contribute long term in Bojan/Conley's case, so they got moved for assets to try and chase that guy. It's basically gambling at this point, but I guess the belief is if you have enough money you'll eventually hit a winner.

Reply #935781 | Report this post

Another Anon  
Two months ago

Knicks did well and if everyone is fit post AS weekend, could make an interesting run for it.

Otherwise another year of the media getting played for the rumour mill but they don't care because they get the clicks.

Reply #935783 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:06 pm, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754