Mystro
Two months ago

Abercrombie announced retirement

After 16 years and 4 titles Tom can have his own topic.
Today he tearfully announced this season would be his last as a professional basketball player.
16 years and one club and a ton of highlights, thank you Tom for your contribution to not only the Breakers but New Zealand basketball.
You inspired a whole generation of kids to play the game and conducted yourself on and off the court with humility and determination. You were the consummate professional athlete that everyone could look up to.

Thank you Tom.

Topic #51806 | Report this topic

Dunkman  
Two months ago

Magnificent player and career, his prime years as good as any player. Always a favourite of mine. Enjoy his retirement and hope he gets into coaching as quality people like him need to be around the game. Congratulations Tom.

Reply #936097 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Two months ago

Well said, Dunkman.
An excellent player, a class act, and he did it all with the one club. Was a key figure in the Cats-Breakers rivalry through the 2010's.

Congrats on a fantastic career!

Reply #936101 | Report this post

orbit  
Two months ago

Watched him in his early days & thought he was good enough for NBA. Wonderful athlete with a great 3 ball. I wonder if he was ever on a NBA radar?

Reply #936104 | Report this post

Kruger  
Two months ago

Great career congrats Tom

Reply #936114 | Report this post

Mystro  
Two months ago

Matt Walsh has confirmed that Abercrombie's Jersey will be hoisted to the rafters next season and retired.
Tom spent two years at Washington State University after Westlake Boys High. He Redshirted his freshman season and then appeared in 12 games the following season before being granted a release to join the Breakers as a development player. The rest is history.

In 2013 he took part in mini camps with the Spurs, Bucks, Mavs and Rockets before joining the Phoenix Suns for NBA Summer League.
That was the closest he came to the NBA until the NBL/NBA games.

Reply #936122 | Report this post

LV  
Two months ago

It's an interesting question about the NBA

There are two distinct reasons why the NBL is on the NBA's radar much moreso than a decade ago, but they do go hand-in-hand. 1. The NBL's standard has continually increased and 2. Increased exposure. This is self-perpetuating, ie: the more NBL players make NBA and the more NBA prospects who come to the NBL (Next Stars), the more scouts are spending time here.

If Abercrombie had more NBA try-out opportunities in his peak window (2011-2014) it would've increased his chances of being in the right place at the right time.

Arguably Abercrombie wouldn't be an all-NBL teamer if he was peaking right now given the league is stronger. But Jack White wasn't an all-NBL teamer either and he made the NBA, and he's a similar player to Abercrombie. Torrey Craig is another similar prototype who made the NBA.

How do people rate Abercrombie as an all-time Breaker? Penney, Abercrombie and Vukona seem a clear top 3.

Reply #936124 | Report this post

Cram  
Two months ago

Increased roster sizes in the NBA is another reason more guys are being picked up outside of the "traditional" HS > College > NBA route in general. NBA teams now have effectively 18 rostered players and need to get them from somewhere.

I think Tom, like most of the top 10-20% of NBL players could have had a crack at NBA if given the right opportunity with the right timing/fit etc.

Reply #936126 | Report this post

EssenX  
Two months ago

I think his skill set as 3 and D would be much more valuable now than it was 10-12 years ago.

Similarly, Penney gets drafted first round in this day and age.

Ultimately, to get a truly successful NBA player I've always thought you’d need need to combine Webster’s scoring instinct and skill with Abercrombies size, athleticism and personality.

Reply #936128 | Report this post

LV  
Two months ago

Good point Cram

Yeah Abercrombie definitely has NBA athleticism and skill-set, hence why I mentioned White and Craig.

Other players from that era had better NBL careers but wouldn't have much chance of NBA even if they were peaking now (like say, Mark Worthington).

Reply #936130 | Report this post

hoopie  
Two months ago

LV, Pero Cameron also played for the Breakers. Don't you feel he deserves to be in the top 4?

Reply #936131 | Report this post

LV  
Two months ago

Other examples than Wortho would be Shawn Redhage, Damian Martin- better NBL players than Abercrombie but couldn't ever see them getting NBA opportunities.

Hoopie, Pero only played two seasons for the Breakers

Vukona won 5 titles and did more than anyone, in my view, to build the Breakers tough on-court identity (along with Boucher in the early days).

Abercrombie won 4 and played 16 seasons.

Penney didnt have as much Longevity, only playing about 7 seasons, but won an MVP, multiple All-NBL 1st team gongs. So I'd go Penney purely for ability and talent and great individual achievements. Then an interesting debate for 2nd.

Reply #936132 | Report this post

LV  
Two months ago

Sorry take that back, Vukona's 5th title was with Dragons, of course.

NZ only has 4. With Vukona, Abercrombie and Pledger playing all 4. Corey Webster and Cedric Jackson played 3. Jackson missing the first, and Webster missing one due to drug suspension.

Reply #936133 | Report this post

Sebastian  
Two months ago

I think he probably would have made the NBA if it wasn't for that ankle injury in the playoffs with I think it was Crawford from memory. He was never really the same athlete after that.

Reply #936134 | Report this post

LV  
Two months ago

And speaking of Cedric Jackson I'd have him 4th on the all-time Breakers list

Reply #936135 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Two months ago

Oh please, as good as D Martin and Redhage were neither were better than Abercrombie.

Reply #936139 | Report this post

EssenX  
Two months ago

Yeah that chase down block by Peter Crawford in garbage time was ugly. After that injury, he still postered Jaren Jackson Jnr, but the "lob pass to Abercrombie" was never heard the same way again.

Pero achieved nothing with the Breakers on or off the court. I wouldn't even have him in their top 10.

Reply #936140 | Report this post

LV  
Two months ago

Martin won about 6 DPOY's.

Abercrombie's best season may have been as good as Redhage's best season, but Abercrombie never reached the heights of greatness many expected. Redhage was consistently one of the best forwards in the NBL for the better part of a decade.

Both Martin and Redhage had better careers than Abercrombie and it's not even close.

Reply #936141 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Two months ago

Your opinion, Abercrombie was an absolute team player star, and yes Martin was a marvellous defender but a point guard, Abercrombie was a 3-4, I can still remember Redhage getting absolutely humiliated against the kings goorg teams, I'll stick with Abercrombie for me.

Reply #936149 | Report this post

LV  
Two months ago

Redhage's 7 All NBL selections to Abercrombie's 2 tells you the story, even if your memory's failing you!

Reply #936153 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Two months ago

Popularity contests have never swayed me, I'm still taking Abercrombie.

Reply #936154 | Report this post

LV  
Two months ago

Take whoever you want, it's all subjective

but you'll be on an island of one, as far as taking Abercrombie over those two. Even most NZ fans won't back you there.

Reply #936155 | Report this post

LV  
Two months ago

FWIW I reckon Vukona and Boucher are the main Kiwi's who set the identity on the court and laid the groundwork for NZ's success, doing all the little things needed to win but not looking glamorous. Not as talented as Abercrombie but just as important to the Breakers success. Ili now doing same for United. c

Abercrombie, of course a great role player, you can't play a key role in 4 titles without being one. But he was one of many in NZ.

Reply #936156 | Report this post

Sebastian  
Two months ago

I am taking TA over the one trick pony Martin. Redhage was a different beast. But Tom's total package beats DM. So it's an island of 2.

Reply #936157 | Report this post

LV  
Two months ago

Ok so I'm going

SR
DM
TA

Sebastian:

SR
TA
DM

Dunk man

TA
SR?
DM

Others?

Reply #936158 | Report this post

LV  
Two months ago

But to continue the conversation, DM was no "one-trick pony"

Firstly defense isn't "one-trick", it's literally half of basketball and Martin's the greatest NBL defender ever

Secondly Martin was a great rebounder, consistently one of the top rebounding guards in the NBL

Third, he was a leader on the court. A culture setter. Body language, hustle, diving on loose balls. Brought the effort every night.

Reply #936160 | Report this post

Mystro  
Two months ago

DM's peak years also coincided with Perths home cooking peak.
Great defender absolutely but no other team had the Wildcats home court advantage or even close, especially NZ

Reply #936161 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Two months ago

I gave my opinion on Abercrombie in the first or second post, I'll stick with it and hope to see him involved in the nbl. The rest is all subjective, each to there own.

Reply #936162 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Two months ago

Abercrombie is undoubtedly the most talented of the three however Martin and Redhage got more out of their NBL careers through grit and determination.

Reply #936164 | Report this post

Sebastian  
Two months ago

LV - Third, he was a leader on the court. A culture setter. Body language, hustle, diving on loose balls. Brought the effort every night.

Abercrombie is all of those things too. That does not hold DM above TA.

Reply #936165 | Report this post

LV  
Two months ago

I reckon DM is one of the all-time hustle and culture Kings of the NBL. Abercrombie is a hard worker, and a consumate professional, but not even the Breakers all-time hustle King, that would be Vukona or Boucher

Reply #936167 | Report this post

Kolzee  
Two months ago

Saw a post recently from a perth fan showing Abercrombie quietly standing alone by the tunnel watching DMs singlet retirement after they'd just played and won. I thought that probably said as much about the guy as anything that he did on court. An absolutely classy competitor and sportsman. Now a role model for young kiwi players across the country and works. Well played Tom

Reply #936168 | Report this post

Sebastian  
Two months ago

It doesn't hold DM above Vukona or Boucher either

Reply #936169 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Two months ago

Abercrombie is undoubtedly the most talented of the three however Martin and Redhage got more out of their NBL careers through grit and determination.

Fair summary IMO.
Keep Abercrombie's skills & physical attributes, and put Damo or Redhage's mental application into him, and he would have been an NBA player IMO.

Reply #936170 | Report this post

LV  
Two months ago

Agreed with Luuc and PW

As a Melbourne fan I see Abercrombie as being roughly equivalent to Dave Barlow- good athlete, good shooter, good defender, long career, won a lot of titles playing in some quality programs

Martin is one tier higher. More akin to say, Chris Goulding in some respects (although CG obviously greater player as DM wasn't playing like this at 35!). But absolutely elite at something that's very important in basketball. Defense vs CG's shooting ability.

Reply #936171 | Report this post

Sebastian  
Two months ago

As I said earlier, if he doesn't get injured with Crawford he would have been in the NBA

Reply #936172 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:29 am, Mon 29 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754