WillyBalls25
Two months ago

Isaiah Thomas - NBL

He's blowing up IG with suggestive "I'm keen" comments and guys like Josh Childress chiming in.

Thoughts? Possible destinations? He's also commented on his socials how much he likes the country in a non basketball context.

Topic #51824 | Report this topic

curtley  
Two months ago

Does he know the new season doesn't start for another seven months?

Reply #936679 | Report this post

Ben  
Two months ago

IT is cool.

But he's 35, doesn’t play a lick of d and is score first. He doesn’t fit with any team that has playoff/play-in aspirations tbh.

Reply #936681 | Report this post

Knockdown3  
Two months ago

He'd tear the league up, dropping 35 a night.....blah blah.

As Ben said, no team would spend a cent on a shoot first 35yr old guard.

Why does the NBL persist with hype driven posts like this? It just wreaks of being desperate for attention

Reply #936682 | Report this post

Sebastian  
Two months ago

Ben I thought you were talking about Sobey :)

Reply #936683 | Report this post

WillyBalls25  
Two months ago

He clapped back at the naysayers, "I would easily win MVP".

I think he could still play, 35 or not, his standard achieved is levels above what the NBL is.

But MVP especially "easily" is a big call.

It would be a circus-y signing but stil intriguing nonetheless.

He would definitely get viewership up.

Reply #936686 | Report this post

hoopie  
Two months ago

So he'd be perfect for Sydney, then? LOL

Reply #936688 | Report this post

Bored  
Two months ago

Its been four years since he was productive in the NBA (in 40 games) and then seven years since he was star with Boston. At 36 next season in the NBL i'm sure he would still get buckets but I doubt any team takes that risk and overall he would probably be a net negative factoring in defense etc

Reply #936690 | Report this post

Ben  
Two months ago

@Sebastian, I'll pay that ;)

Reply #936693 | Report this post

WillyBalls25  
Two months ago

"Its been four years since he was productive in the NBA (in 40 games) and then seven years since he was star with Boston. At 36 next season in the NBL i'm sure he would still get buckets but I doubt any team takes that risk and overall he would probably be a net negative factoring in defense etc"

I hear all that but again, being an NBA star and being an NBL solid player are so many levels apart that it makes you wonder what he can produce if given the opportunity here.

Then you have a much shorter schedule and 40 min games as well..

If there was so much hoopla surrounding Johnny Flyn, Aaron Brooks or Al Harrington...

I remember Homicide (yes not the best person to cite I know) making so much noise about "Aaron Brooks is a genuine NBA award winner" referring to a humble MIP.

With IT, you have a genuine 2 time All Star, and a x1 time All-League Second Team player.

If he's not hampered by any injuries and the only knock is being "old" - it really does pose an intriguing signing.

He's like a souped up Jerome Randle. And we know Randle could still hoop here if he really wanted to. He's 2 years younger.

Reply #936695 | Report this post

Basket 91  
Two months ago

Thomas would put up decent numbers whether that translates to winning not so sure.

Reply #936698 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Two months ago

Does IT4 know there is no Brinks Truck backing up in Australia either?

Reply #936699 | Report this post

koberulz  
Two months ago

He clapped back at the naysayers, "I would easily win MVP".
Can we get Damo out of retirement?

Reply #936704 | Report this post

LaPark  
Two months ago

My guess would be with recruiting IT, it probably isn't in that singular recruitment itself, but you'd probably need to build your entire team around him and the fact he'd always have the ball in his hands to do what he does. So it's a big risk to take because if he doesn't produce you're probably tanking your entire season as a result.

Reply #936705 | Report this post

WillyBalls25  
Two months ago

I don't think you have to "build around" him too much.

It's the NBL, how many taller PGs are going to seriously exploit him as a mismatch by backing him down...

If anything his style of play lends itself well to the league - other similar sized players like Randle and Ware already dominated here offensively.

You need guys around him who can switch on D, knock down shots and rebound. That's standard recruiting regardless of who you intend to sign at PG.

Reply #936711 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Two months ago

I'm taking him ahead of Mccaron.

Reply #936713 | Report this post

orbit  
Two months ago

Would be good under the right coach - an experienced coach.

Reply #936723 | Report this post

The Phantom  
Two months ago

Undersized scoring guards seem to be in vogue, Crawford, PJC, Cotton, Adams and Robinson. Would think most of them (Cotton obviously guaranteed) except Robinson would be welcomed back. United wouldn't want or need him, no way he could co exist with DJ. Budget wise Hawks and Taipans would be out, Phoenix god knows. So unless Kings swap out Adams for IT, then it's Brisbane who've shown in the past to go for the name rather than the fit. But again, no-one else would get a shot along with Sobey. And it seems they're trying to build a better culture. So just about as likely with Dwight signing here.

Reply #936726 | Report this post

AssistantsPen  
Two months ago

SE Phoenix surely would be interested - potentially injury prone, non productive guard. Imagine he is top of the scouting list based on the last list of recruits

Reply #936762 | Report this post

LV  
Two months ago

It's not just that it's been 7 years since he was an All-Star. That's not the problem.

Problem is he's barely played in the last 7 years.

Literally averaged about 25 games a year for his last 5 years, now hasn't played for 2 years. No way will a serious NBL team take the risk.

Good for a story though. Most publicity is good publicity for the NBL.

Reply #936765 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:47 am, Sun 28 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754