Rhino
Last month

Marcus Lee charged for Usher foul

JackJumpers could be missing Lee following being charged for his unsportsmanlike foul on Usher.

2 game sentence, 1 if early guilty plea.

Topic #51862 | Report this topic

Another Anon  
Last month

So how was McVeigh not charged for his people's elbow in their previous game?

Reply #937782 | Report this post

Scout  
Last month

Totally disproportionate suspension.

Hope JJs appeal but doubt they will as they will want to focus on the game.

OK for someone to punch someone and receive a fine.

Graded medium impact - how is this rated ?? Usher was fine.

Hard stupid foul - yep. 2 potential semi games for a suspension WOW just WOW

Reply #937787 | Report this post

LV  
Last month

Wow, how's Magnays ankle doing?

If they're missing both, series over.

Reply #937790 | Report this post

LV  
Last month

I understand Lee's frustration- all the calls were going Perths way late in that game- but it was over the top. And given how soft all sports are becoming now, a 1 game suspension doesn't completely surprise me. A dumb move.

Reply #937791 | Report this post

Hawk Head  
Last month

Totally agree Another Anon. Lee's was at least as part of a contest. McVeigh just went down, saw Lachie, paused then completely dropped the elbow onto him.

Reply #937792 | Report this post

LV  
Last month

But 1 game should be it. This nonsense about "early guilty plea" doesn't do it for me. If you're gonna suspend him, make it 1 game and that's it

Reply #937793 | Report this post

Scout  
Last month

Yep, it was a dumb move - 'hard foul'. I would like to know a bit about process:

- Why did it apparently take an appeal from Perth for this suspension to be given?

- How is medium impact categorised (is Usher playing tomorrow night)?

I get the deterrent angle, but this is totally disproportionate.

Governance should have some structure and clear process for decision making this has none of that. It was reviewed at the game and not upgraded but is now??

However you look at this is way over the top.

Reply #937794 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Last month

This is so dodgy.

Reply #937795 | Report this post

Scout  
Last month

https://twitter.com/ChrisAnstey13/status/1766621690057150792

Reply #937796 | Report this post

Scout  
Last month

Perthworld - respect.

Reply #937797 | Report this post

Knockdown3  
Last month

"Early guilty plea"
Plea to what? The incident was dealt with in-game and Lee and Usher were cool after the game.

As others have mentioned, the inconsistency when compared to the McVeigh and G.Browne incidents are ridiculous.
The NBL is embarrassing themselves with this 'review'and subsequent outcome, and the JJ's have good reason to appeal this crap

Reply #937798 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last month

Usher was smart to move the ball which put Lee totally committed for the block out of position but when Usher moved the ball he took his head off, unintentionally imo. As above, McVeigh was totally intentional and yet nothing. Get it correct nbl, we don't want this turning into afl decision making where some players and clubs are looked after.

Reply #937799 | Report this post

LV  
Last month

Yeah actually, totally agree re Gary Browne and this season.

Reply #937800 | Report this post

Gus3232  
Last month

Should have been tossed on the night and be done with it. The only possible angle I can think of might be "would Lee have done that in the first quarter and risk an ejection rather than so late in the game"

It won't be a chip on the shoulder in game two for Tassie, if will be an entire bag of Samboy.

Reply #937802 | Report this post

MaxM  
Last month

The discrepancy between different agencies of the NBL is ridiculous and worrying.

The refs had a look at it and didn't even upgrade it to a disqualifying foul... yet the GRP give him 2 games.

On the other hand, why does it take a team to ask for a review to hand down a 2 game suspension? Yeah the suspension is obviously garbage, but that's a shocking system from the league, if there's a suspension to issue, you can't wait for the aggrevieved team to ask for a review. Just give the damn suspension.

GRP is becoming a joke. Terrible decision and terrible operating procedures.

Reply #937803 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Last month

Flashback to last season's playoffs when the league made sure Chase Buford wasn't banned so he could remain on the sideline.

Reply #937804 | Report this post

Knockdown3  
Last month

>>Flashback to last season's playoffs when the league made sure Chase Buford wasn't banned so he could remain on the sideline.<<

That was atrocious

Reply #937805 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Last month

(for Game 3 of the Kings' semi final series.)

Reply #937806 | Report this post

hoopie  
Last month

Agree on calling that atrocious - NBL lost all appearance of integrity at that point.

Reply #937807 | Report this post

Knockdown3  
Last month

Alao remember when he kicked the advertising lights in Tassie

Reply #937808 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Last month

Should have been tossed on the night and be done with it.

This.

Given that they didn't toss him on the night, so they can't go back and fix that, a 1-game suspended ban still would have been sufficient IMO, given that (fortunately) no real damage was done.

Reply #937809 | Report this post

Scout  
Last month

Reckon everyone could have lived with 1 game suspended (maybe not some Perth twitter supporters) suspension.

Extremes bring out extreme reactions.

Reply #937810 | Report this post

Repair  
Last month

Very poor form for the Wildcats to lodge a complaint. Very poor form from the Wildcats. They are seeking to gain an advantage over the remaining two games of the series. Poor sportsmanship.

The foul was not that hard. Should not be taken further, but made worse by the fact that it is a playoff game.

Reply #937874 | Report this post

Jack Knife  
Last month

I'm not sure that I love the Wildcats taking this further. What’s done is done.

Perhaps they still feel aggrieved by the ridiculous Wagstaff suspension last season.

Reply #937877 | Report this post

Jack Knife  
Last month

I'm not sure that I love the Wildcats taking this further. What’s done is done.

Perhaps they still feel aggrieved by the ridiculous Wagstaff suspension last season.

Reply #937878 | Report this post

Anon  
Last month

Lv Tas had plenty of periods where they were getting the calls too, doesn't excuse a stupid play. People blaming Perth is comical, it's play-offs if the process is ask the league to look, then you do it, any edge you can get you take, worst case it's a distraction for Tas, best case he's out a game. Tas is joking to suggest they wouldn't do the same, that's some Bairstow level bs. Now the nbl having no process or consistency I agree and fire away, they deserve the criticism, but Usher was the player hit, a potentially dangerous hit and his team surely within their rights to ask if this was acceptable? How you can criticise them is beyond me.

Reply #937880 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last month

It's professional sport with big money involved, you chase every detail that can go in your favour. Roth telling all that Cotton gets to many soft fouls to put pressure on refs is just an example.

Reply #937890 | Report this post

Knockdown3  
Last month

Roth typically diplomatic in hìs critique of the system and it's inconsistencies

https://youtu.be/b2tjY4irt3I?si=LDeHTKOflTSyo6J7

Reply #937902 | Report this post

Ballman  
Last month

wrapping your arm around someone's neck as they are jumping, its possible to cause significant life ending or paralyzing injury. Was a dirty play by Lee, Didn't seem remorseful about it either.

In the modern era of sport anything head high will typically have significant penalties.

If this had been a wildcats player doing it to a JJ's player I would imagine half this thread would be supportive of the suspension.

Reply #937906 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Last month

It was no Larry Abney on Brad Hill.

Reply #937907 | Report this post

Sebastian  
Last month

The Abney foul in itself was not horrible. It was the unfortunate landing that caused the issue

Reply #937910 | Report this post

AngusH  
Last month

"Should have been tossed on the night and be done with it. The only possible angle I can think of might be "would Lee have done that in the first quarter and risk an ejection rather than so late in the game"

Tend to agree. I think an ejection was warranted with the contact to the head. Feels like a suspension is being applied because this wasn't done on the night which is the wrong approach IMO.

Reply #937911 | Report this post

Big Fudge  
Last month

I missed the game, can anyone tell me where I can see the footage? and the McVeigh one?

Reply #937914 | Report this post

Jack Knife  
Last month

Interesting interview with Hutchy on SEN.

According to him, Wildcats sought clarification on the foul and why it did not warrant an ejection. Says at no point was further action on it requested. NBL took it from there.

The system needs an overhaul and far greater transparency, sounds like no one is happy with it.

Reply #937922 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Last month

https://kayosports.com.au/fixture/sport!basketball/series-national-basketball-league!9/fixture-illawarra-hawks-vs-melbourne-united!43791

Reply #937950 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Last month

Ignore that, looks like only the two games from yesterday are Kayo Freebies.

Reply #937951 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Last month

(VPN into Singapore and watch on YouTube instead.)

Reply #937952 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last month

PW, you are genius

Reply #937955 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Last month

I only watch it that way now.

No more subscription to Foxtel, Fetch or Kayo.

Reply #937959 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last month

You should keep it a secret mate before they f..k us over.

Reply #937961 | Report this post

Drexler  
Last month

Watching live from Singapore also, great reception!

Reply #937969 | Report this post

Drexler  
Last month

Wrong thread,derp

Reply #937970 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Last month

Dunkman I made the same typo as Drexler above - I'm actually watching live in Singapore.

Reply #937989 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last month

Oh I see, fantastic.

Reply #938000 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:26 pm, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754