Screeningnick
Last month

Xavier Cooks signs 3 year deal with the Kings

Great to have the MVP back in the league.

Login reporting biggest deal in NBL history. Curious to know the $?

Topic #51895 | Report this topic

Screeningnick  
Last month

Olgun*

Reply #938740 | Report this post

AngusH  
Last month

By itself, that's a lot of our woes from last season remediated.

Reply #938741 | Report this post

Gus3232  
Last month

Great news, makes the league even stronger.

Reply #938742 | Report this post

MaxM  
Last month

As a Perth fan I let out a groan, but of course it's very good for the league to have the best Aussies playing here. Cool to see.

Cotton on around $600-650k a year, Cooks maybe $700k+?

Reply #938744 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Last month

Gotta hand it to Goorj. He knows how to get an owner to open up the wallet!

Reply #938745 | Report this post

MaxM  
Last month

I wonder how much cash they'll have left. Surely this means Jaylen Adams won't be back unless he takes a significant pay cut.

Reply #938746 | Report this post

Basket 91  
Last month

Sydney will marquee Cooks could see them going with 2 imports depending on what locals they get.

Sydney looking like
/Bruce/Makoi
/Glover
Toohey/Maluach
Cooks
/

Plus Hogg team option.

Reply #938747 | Report this post

The Phantom  
Last month

100% he's in the Boomers now. Really don't like national coaches in local leagues to aid recruitment. Chances are he probably would have signed there, no other local club could afford him, but having a likely promise that if you sign you'll make the Olympic team is dodgy AF.

Reply #938754 | Report this post

AngusH  
Last month

Whether Hogg is back or not probably depends on whether we go with 2 or 3 imports. If 3 he will be back, if 2 I think we'll go with an import 1 and 2 and hope we resign Hunter.

Sounds like we don't expect Toohey to be back either, unless he's a draft and stash. I'd like Bolden to come back and play under Goorj, but who knows. I think we end up with:

Import (not Adams)/Bruce/Makoi
Import(someone new)/Glover
Local FA(Kuol)/Noi
Cooks/Bolden
Hunter/Bolden

Reply #938755 | Report this post

AngusH  
Last month

"100% he's in the Boomers now."

I mean, he was anyway. Even if he didn't sign with Syd, who was taking his spot?

Reply #938756 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Last month

I wouldn't say he was 100% in there.
Presumably Landale is an instant re-inclusion, so it's probably going to be someone from the front court making way for him, but I agree that someone probably won't be Cooks.

Reply #938758 | Report this post

Kolzee  
Last month

So good to have him back in the league. I'd love to see him go to battle against brantley again. That match up was epic

Reply #938759 | Report this post

The Phantom  
Last month

So from WC, wasn't it him, Kay, Reath, White and could probably put Ingles and Thybulle as being able to play a bigger role. Landale replaces one of them, it ain't gonna be Reath. So it comes down to Cooks, White and Kay. And also if they go with another bigger body like Magnay or Humphries as insurance for Landale. Kay and White can at least shoot to space floor. So you're saying Cooks was a guarantee when on the world stage he isn't uber athletic or can shoot. It's a Brian special offer, sign with me and get a boomers spot.

Reply #938766 | Report this post

Goorj's coaching legacy almost locked in by spending the most money at the yearling sales again.

No way Cooks was a lock for Paris. But the a few of the old Kings guys last time Goorj was there also got a bit of a leg up into the Boomers.

Reply #938767 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Last month

Glen Saville's one season at the Kings was blatant.

Reply #938768 | Report this post

retired  
Last month

Talk was Cooks was on $8ok US a month in Japan so be interesting to know what Kings are having to pay.

Reply #938769 | Report this post

LV  
Last month

Great signing, but as always, depends on value. It might reduce the quality of imports they can sign. If he's easily the highest paid player in the comp, he'll need to play like it.

As for Boomers, Cooks was mostly playing the 5 last time. With Landale back, do we need him? White has a better 3 point shot and more mobile. It's out of Kay and Cooks for the last spot perhaps, unless they go Magnay for insurance options to combat Gobert and Jokic. I really hope Goorj hasn't promised anything 4 months out.

Reply #938775 | Report this post

PW. Sav was one. Jason Smith another from memory.

Reply #938776 | Report this post

Patty"TheGOAT"Mills  
Last month

Xavier Cooks' EASL Finals stats

29:45 MIN / 6 PTS (2PM 3-6 50%) / 7 REB / 2 AST / 1 BLK / 3 TOV / 3 PF

EASL is the East Asian Basketball League. Japan, Korea, the Philippines, and Taiwan, which are lower-level leagues than the NBL, will participate.
Cooks was a poor player in the finals of EASL. The Korean team used sagging defense against him. If it were the NBL he would have gotten a free throw if he had a drive-in, but FIBA Ball didn't give him a free throw.
To put it bluntly, he has no power in FIBA Ball. If he can't hit a 3-pointer, he has to have good paint zone skills, but he can't do either.
That's why I don't think he's a lock for the Paris Olympics. But he's back in Sydney so Goorj will select him.

Cooks's teammate John Mooney's EASL Finals stats

37:35 MIN / 16 PTS (FG 7-14 50%, 3P 0-2, FT 2-4 50%) / 16 REB / 6 AST / 2 STL / 1 BLK / 2 TOV

Reply #938777 | Report this post

Patty"TheGOAT"Mills  
Last month

I currently prefer Landale, Reath, Magnay and White as the Boomers' frontcourt.
However, the problem is White. The stats this season are not good.

Jack White G League Stats
20 G / 27.5 MIN / 9.5 PTS (FG 44%, 3P 36.6%, FT 58.3%) / 6.2 REB / 1.8 AST / 1 STL / 1.1 BLK / 0.75 TOV / 2 PF

Reply #938779 | Report this post

LV  
Last month

Don't worry about G League stats, it's about fit

With Giddey running the offense and being on court most of the time, Cooks shouldn't be a big part of our plans. He can't shoot from outside. Giddey needs shooters around him.

Reply #938780 | Report this post

Patty"TheGOAT"Mills  
Last month

At the last World Cup, I said that White, who has good athletic ability, should be next to Giddey. This is because Giddey did not have good synergy with Kay.

Reply #938781 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last month

I've been on the White train from the start. Cooks has just got his plane ticket. Wasn’t Bogut on one million a year, surely Cooks isn’t on more.

Reply #938798 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Last month

Good example.

Reply #938802 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last month

Jason Smith could really play though.

Reply #938806 | Report this post

LV  
Last month

Smith played his entire career with Goorj. Different to Saville.

Reply #938807 | Report this post

threeball  
Last month

Damian Martin was on SEN WA earlier this week saying he had heard the deal was $3.6m over the three years. Not seen that reported anywhere else since so make of that what you will.

Reply #938953 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Last month

Overpaid.

Reply #939000 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last month

Certainly looks overpaid but time will tell.

Reply #939003 | Report this post

KET  
Last month

....and what's the salary cap meant to be! Jesusssss

Reply #939005 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last month

He's a marquee, only 150k goes towards the cap.

Reply #939010 | Report this post

koberulz  
Last month

Smith signed with the Magic as a rookie in the mid 90s and played under Goorjian the rest of his NBL career until the Kings folded, which saw Goorjian go to the Dragons and Smith stay with the Spirit.

Reply #939011 | Report this post

LV  
Last month

Will Bogut still be claiming they don't spend more than other teams?

Reply #939013 | Report this post

KET  
Last month

I know Dunkman, but in the context where a cap is like 1.8mil or whatever, for someone to be paid 1.2mil roughly is insane!

Reply #939016 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last month

If I'm understanding it correctly, Cooks salary is only 150k to the cap, so Cooks balance in pay will be on top of the cap. Basically the kings will be spending around 3 million or perhaps more.

Reply #939017 | Report this post

KET  
Last month

That's right he will basically get the same as the rest of his teammates combined

Reply #939018 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:49 pm, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754